Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

GrossMurpel posted:

lmao there was an update to IA and the offline progress I got from it instantly pushed me to floor 81 and prestige layer 12.
Maybe I'll play the game with a new save again in a few weeks, given how often the dev updates :v:
Yeah, holy poo poo, I came back and went from PP4 to PP6 in literally under a minute.

...also the autobuyers really don't like trying to spend like a hundred thousand points. They just refuse to do anything instead.

edit: yep autobuyers totally normal here nothing to see here folks

(I don't even have the healing and health autobuyers on!)

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Aug 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Yeah, holy poo poo, I came back and went from PP4 to PP6 in literally under a minute.

...also the autobuyers really don't like trying to spend like a hundred thousand points. They just refuse to do anything instead.

edit: yep autobuyers totally normal here nothing to see here folks

(I don't even have the healing and health autobuyers on!)

When I opened the game after that update, I was at level -1e5 (with -Infinity% to levelup) :v:

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Yeah, the game is pretty well a tire fire of bugs unless you manually do everything.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I picked up Idle Wizard again for some reason and I was looking through all the achievements I couldn't figure out before and just cheesing it with the wiki now. There is one which appears to require four days of cast time on a spell to make happen (Voidmancer's Void Prison), is there a way to intentionally reduce a cast time? I saw a tip to save/reload which interrupts the cast, as well as replacing the spell, but the times cast value doesn't increase when you do that.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

IA is currently on my 'I will pick this up again in a month if they fix all the bugs' list.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Doubtful, just bugs will change locations. The game only has about 90 floors because the way he's got things doing calculations everything becomes "infinity" and can't be killed.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Sounds like he should be using a variable designed for big numbers if that's what he's going for. Like BigInt (which is slow, but will certainly allow him to do RNG heavy hit calculations on an incremental game scale). Doubles work but we see the limitations of them with NGU's design, and Realm Grinder shows us what it is to try and go beyond the limits of a Double (you reset everything and do the same thing over only faster!) It's lovely.

You can certainly make plenty of games with a double you just have to be mindful of the limits when you are making the game. Doubles limit the scope but you can get several years worth of updates out of it and really does a game need monthly updates for 20 years? The reason a Double isn't a good idea for IA is that it's been out for a month or so and he's already hit the limits of the variable. Needs a complete recode, either with new variables or scaling down the numbers and growth.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
whoop, my separate Firefox window with IA in it exploded

yeah I'll just leave that one until the dev actually fixes it all

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

pixaal posted:

Sounds like he should be using a variable designed for big numbers if that's what he's going for. Like BigInt (which is slow, but will certainly allow him to do RNG heavy hit calculations on an incremental game scale). Doubles work but we see the limitations of them with NGU's design, and Realm Grinder shows us what it is to try and go beyond the limits of a Double (you reset everything and do the same thing over only faster!) It's lovely.

You can certainly make plenty of games with a double you just have to be mindful of the limits when you are making the game. Doubles limit the scope but you can get several years worth of updates out of it and really does a game need monthly updates for 20 years? The reason a Double isn't a good idea for IA is that it's been out for a month or so and he's already hit the limits of the variable. Needs a complete recode, either with new variables or scaling down the numbers and growth.

If I were in his place I'd just use the library released by the AD guys: https://github.com/antimatter-dimensions/notations

e: this only goes up to 1e308, maybe this one: https://github.com/Patashu/break_eternity.js

The Fool fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 23, 2019

cyrn
Sep 11, 2001

The Man is a harsh mistress.

nessin posted:

I picked up Idle Wizard again for some reason and I was looking through all the achievements I couldn't figure out before and just cheesing it with the wiki now. There is one which appears to require four days of cast time on a spell to make happen (Voidmancer's Void Prison), is there a way to intentionally reduce a cast time? I saw a tip to save/reload which interrupts the cast, as well as replacing the spell, but the times cast value doesn't increase when you do that.

If I remember right, there is some equipment and/or pet that you can use to reduce the duration of that spell type (along with not getting any upgrades that increase duration) to make that a more sane length.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Ghostlight posted:

it's a tier-2 prestige currency you get on doing seedship resets rather than blowing yourself up

Oh

I just unified for the first time and now I'm away for a week so we'll see

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

The Fool posted:

If I were in his place I'd just use the library released by the AD guys: https://github.com/antimatter-dimensions/notations

e: this only goes up to 1e308, maybe this one: https://github.com/Patashu/break_eternity.js

Geez that's a lot of barely documented code. Why can't idle game numbers just be a double for the number before the exponent and a long for the exponent?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

GrossMurpel posted:

Geez that's a lot of barely documented code. Why can't idle game numbers just be a double for the number before the exponent and a long for the exponent?

Most idle game devs are doing it because it's a low-barrier-to-entry genre and it's babies first game. Many times even babies first programming project.

e: I'm not saying this is a bad thing, just that it informs some of the code quality in idle-adjacent projects.

e: and js doesn't have double or long

The Fool fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 23, 2019

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

The Fool posted:

Most idle game devs are doing it because it's a low-barrier-to-entry genre and it's babies first game. Many times even babies first programming project.

e: I'm not saying this is a bad thing, just that it informs some of the code quality in idle-adjacent projects.

Make both, "number"s then. Goddamnit js

Sillyman
Jul 21, 2008

The Fool posted:

js has double, it's the only builtin numeric type

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I guess yes, Number is the same as double, it would be more accurate to say that js doesn't have int

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

The Fool posted:

can confirm, am a baby

Torokasi
Jan 13, 2011

Powered up to a level 2 super schmendrick.
Alright, finally found the Discord link in NGU because I cannot find my own rear end with a mirror, map, directions or someone else grabbing it for me. Someone mind inviting Taishyr to the chat?

Also - and trying to avoid most spoilers as I can - is there any benefit to keeping old equipment sets besides rings/amulets?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Torokasi posted:

Also - and trying to avoid most spoilers as I can - is there any benefit to keeping old equipment sets besides rings/amulets?

There's some exceptions you'll find outside of the good accessories that will be worth hanging onto but generally no, once you've moved on you don't need to hang onto the old gear from the last zone as long as you've already gotten the maxxed bonus for the set.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
There's points where some of the puzzley unlocks require some old gear but by the time you get there you have the Drop Chance to farm everything up in about a day, tops. I essentially never hang on to old armor or weapons and have never regretted it.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

The big things to hold on to are things with droprate, goldfind, and respawn rate. There aren't many of them and with the first 2 you probably only want them on for a few minutes each rebirth so the other stats being low does not matter. Respawn is something that you will want during certain parts of the game and to be idling in it drat the lack of other stats.

It also will not take long at all to farm up replacements so if you need the space just delete it, space is at a premium early on, ,when you have 5 pages, speculative holding makes a lot of sense.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Speaking of NGU, I'm idling in BDW right now. Nearly maxed by first 200 stat boost (Power); if I transform that into something else (Toughness for this example), does it count as maxing the 200 Toughness boost as well, or do you have to do it the hard way for every stat?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Dragonatrix posted:

Speaking of NGU, I'm idling in BDW right now. Nearly maxed by first 200 stat boost (Power); if I transform that into something else (Toughness for this example), does it count as maxing the 200 Toughness boost as well, or do you have to do it the hard way for every stat?

You have to do it the hard way, transforming the boost will reset its level to 0.

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times
I just got into the deep space stuff in Evolve. That is a pretty active dev. There's a ton of new poo poo to make, a bunch of new materials, and a perma-siege in hell, which is a nice aside.

Also played a bit of Incremental Adventure. I've broken it. Jumped a bunch of PP level, like 3>6>8, and bought all the level skips, and it's skipping me way too far forward, to the point of doing 0.1% damage per attack on the level it dumps me in. Putting it aside until it's been patched up a bit. Was fun until that point though.

If anyone is playing Idle Skilling, there is a huge update coming soon, with pets and poo poo. If you haven't played it, I recommend it. There are IAPs, but you don't actually need them much any more. If there is any uptake on it, I'll drop some tips, but I'm not going to chuck out 4 paragraphs of poo poo if nobody is going to read it. (main tip: spend your first gems on infinity forge).

Idle Skilling

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Klungar posted:

You have to do it the hard way, transforming the boost will reset its level to 0.

Makes sense, but still sucks. Probably just work on some challenges for a bit instead then; drop rate in BDW is kinda absurdly bad after all.

Luffles
Jul 25, 2007

The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame
Evolve and IA are terrible. It's the same slog over and over. Naturally, I cannot stop "playing" either one.

I wish they hadn't hosed up clicker heroes 2 quite so badly. drat you, Fragsworth. Don't you know the IAP and cloud saving and paywalls are what keep people interested?

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

frankenbeans posted:

I just got into the deep space stuff in Evolve. That is a pretty active dev. There's a ton of new poo poo to make, a bunch of new materials, and a perma-siege in hell, which is a nice aside.

Also played a bit of Incremental Adventure. I've broken it. Jumped a bunch of PP level, like 3>6>8, and bought all the level skips, and it's skipping me way too far forward, to the point of doing 0.1% damage per attack on the level it dumps me in. Putting it aside until it's been patched up a bit. Was fun until that point though.

If anyone is playing Idle Skilling, there is a huge update coming soon, with pets and poo poo. If you haven't played it, I recommend it. There are IAPs, but you don't actually need them much any more. If there is any uptake on it, I'll drop some tips, but I'm not going to chuck out 4 paragraphs of poo poo if nobody is going to read it. (main tip: spend your first gems on infinity forge).

Idle Skilling

Seconding Idle Skilling, it's super good and deep now. Ton of content.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

give us the idle skilling tips, i'll give that game a shot until IA gets a bit further along!

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times
Okay.

The only gem purchase you really need is the infinity forge. This removes the usage limit on the forges. The rest of the gem purchases are just going to speed things up in various areas.

For training, concentrate on strength, as this will allow you to kill bigger mobs for more money. Attack = accuracy. Get this by all means, but unless you are missing hits, it doesn't really do much. Life is useful to a point, but until you get to late game and asylum raids, it's not going to help much.

All the different screens are only going to run at ful performance if you have them open. Other screens are going to run @ ~20% performance. This can be improved later with some cards. It takes a while to get the hang of, but it's not a massive issue. Just make sure you leave it on whatever screen you want the most out of when you leave it to idle. Do not leave it on the perk tree, you'll get no benefit.

Get everything you can on the perk tree. The most useful ones are generally the top few, like 'chance for double craft', but nearly all of them are good to have. You cannot undo choices but it does gets cleared when you ascend (prestige tier 1). After a while you whill have the whole lot active and a bunch of points left sitting around.

For crafting, you can skip the health upgrades to get basically more damage and faster idle attacks (regular attacks, really). There is a cap, but by the time you reached that, you'll be far beyond these tips. Right now, my idle attack speed gets me something daft like 100 kills/sec (boosted with multiple kills per kill into the hundreds of thou). This is the point where you actually get more kills if you are on a different screen due to the hard-coded spawn/die graphics slowing things down.

Crusades is a bit broken, but worth doing anyway as some of the card drops and gear are pretty awesome. I understand this is on a list of things to be fixed and is generally considered the sloppiest bit of the game.

Plants and potions are awesome. Potion recipes are given out pretty randomly. If you can, concentrate most of 'chance for brewing two potions' and potion speed recipes. Some of the final group of recipes are game changers, so just keep plugging away at them.

Cards are great, use them.

The next expansion (in next couple of weeks, hopefully) will have pets, pet battles and breeding, and it's looking really cool so far.

There is a wiki here with lists of cards, recipes and all that good poo poo. The charts of which rebirth perks to prioritise are very useful.

gently caress me, this went on longer than I was expecting. You also have challenges, spiriting, summoning, raids, pachinko (good for getting gems) and basketball. And there's a handful of secrets (use the wiki for this, you are not going to find most of them by accident).

Last but not least, save your game file. Mine is in C:\Users\<myname>\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\Y6KNZT3T\chat.kongregate.com\gamez\0029\9045\live\KongFinalOct8.swf so it will be in a folder called something like that. I've never had a problem so far, but I also don't want to.

In short, I really like this game, and have been at it pretty much since release.

cyrn
Sep 11, 2001

The Man is a harsh mistress.

baram. posted:

give us the idle skilling tips, i'll give that game a shot until IA gets a bit further along!

Published Oct. 11, 2018... Requires Flash. :psyduck:

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times

cyrn posted:

Published Oct. 11, 2018... Requires Flash. :psyduck:

Holy poo poo, I totally forgot it uses flash. So, er. Have flash, I guess.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Is there a good way to get base damage up? It seems ridiculously low and it's keeping me from moving to the next monster because I can't guarantee I'll one-shot it.

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times

Pylons posted:

Is there a good way to get base damage up? It seems ridiculously low and it's keeping me from moving to the next monster because I can't guarantee I'll one-shot it.

Invest in strength training, boost strength in ascension (bottom centre perk). And craft a bunch of weapons. Broken daggers only need copper and you should be able to craft a few.

Beyond that, DMG cards if you have any yet. I think the first dmg card is from Disciple Y, who you will meet at the end of the first zone.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

welp

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

is it intended that Evolve hides all of its functionality until you've actually bought the thing you've been scrimping and saving for

just finally got together enough titanium for my fourth GPS satellite to be rewarded with "INCREASE THE PROFITABILITY OF TRADE ROUTES BY 1%", and you can't see what an ARPA project does till it's built

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I think it got left behind in the other changes he's been making. It could be worth a nudge in the Discord.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
I've said it before and I'll say it again: evolve doesn't do communication of what things do at all

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

is there even a way to see what the main trait of your species is

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Eventually, once you've mapped Genetics for the first time in a run. That only tells you what current traits you possess and not which ones are tied to the various evolutionary branches or whether it's a minor trait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

frankenbeans posted:

Holy poo poo, I totally forgot it uses flash. So, er. Have flash, I guess.

This is going to be a little hard to do in a year or so.

I'm giving this one a try, but it seems I have already played it a while ago. Despite having no save I sorta remember these graphics.