Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

:lol: Welp, it’ll take too long to take clothes off, better just piss in my pants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Cacafuego posted:

:lol: Welp, it’ll take too long to take clothes off, better just piss in my pants

Brilliant snipe imo :hmmyes:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
The Bavarian Pissdress sounds like it could be an experimental punk band.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Trabant posted:

The Bavarian Pissdress sounds like it could be an experimental punk band.

Or a Team Fortress 2 cosmetic

been reading most of this piss conversation in the voice of the Sniper from TF2 and it makes it all like twice as hilarious

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
Are we sure that guy isn't just the 17th century equivalent of "if women don't want to pay for tampons they can just hold in their periods"?

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
The Roman emperor Vespasian (69-79 AD), as part of a suite of taxes intended to refill the empire’s treasury, revived a urine tax imposed by Nero decades earlier. Most citizens would urinate into pots which they would dump into cesspools. The tax was imposed on the buyers of this urine, which were generally tanners as mentioned earlier, or launderers who used the ammonia to produce clean white togas.

According to the historian Suetonius, “When [Vespasian's] son Titus blamed him for even laying a tax upon urine, he applied to his nose a piece of the money he received in the first installment, and asked him if it stunk. And he replying no, 'And yet,' said he, 'it is derived from urine”.

The Latin phrase pecunia non olet, “money does not stink” is believed to have arisen from this famous remark.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Modern coins actually do reek though. How did roman coins smell?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Do remember though that running water and plumbing goes back to ancient Rome. Hygiene isn't really a new invention. At the time people also did like bath houses and what have you. Various forces did want to remove a lot of Roman influences after the empire fell but, well, people like laying around in hot water so it wasn't like you were going to stop it entirely. Even so we do have immune systems so a certain level of filth around just doesn't accomplish anything.

It's older than Rome, actually. The Indus River Valley civilisation had cities with public baths, sewers, and plumbing in 3300-1300 BC, which is (iirc) the earliest known instance of the technology.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
Marx mentions this in Capital. He uses it as a metaphor for money being the beginning of capital because value in the form of money can be transformed into any productive form. Profits from a brothel can be used to publish Bibles etc.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ToxicSlurpee posted:

For the most part people just pissed wherever they were. This is one reason theaters handed out fruits or vegetables with a rind to theatergoers; it soaked up all the piss when they just threw the rind on the ground.

Piss was also used in leather tanning. This is why the phrase "piss poor" exists. You could sell you piss to the tannery for a pittance. Most people wouldn't bother as it probably wasn't worth the walk and who the hell wants to deliberately save their piss? This is also why "can't even afford a pot to piss in" is a thing; it meant that you were so poor you'd normally sell your piss but you couldn't even afford the tools to do that.

I’m 99% sure those are false etymologies. Like “can’t afford a pot to piss in” is self-explanatory without needing to talk about the medieval peeconomy.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

One last piss story from the very fair, accurate and balanced Herodotus. The Egyptian pharaoh Pheros (which might not be his name and is just a variation of pharaoh used by Herodotus) was cruising on the Nile when he became enraged by turbulent waters. In his anger, he hurled a spear into the river and was cursed by blindness. After ten years, the pharaoh was visited by an Oracle who claimed the the curse had run its course, and foretold that his blindness would be cured if he washed his eyes in the “water” (urine) of a woman who had slept with no one but her husband.

“first he made trial of his own wife, and then, as he continued blind (editor’s note: :negative:) , he went on to try all the women in turn; and when he had at last regained his sight he gathered together all the women of whom he had made trial, excepting her by whose means he had regained his sight, to one city which now is named Erythrabolos, and having gathered them to this he consumed them all by fire, as well as the city itself; but as for her by whose means he had regained his sight, he had her himself to wife.”

That’s right, he married the faithful woman who presumably had a husband already, ironically making her “unfaithful”.

Kevin DuBrow has a new favorite as of 17:46 on Aug 24, 2019

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Modern coins actually do reek though. How did roman coins smell?

Prepare to have your mind blown: you cannot smell metal.

All the atoms in metals are quite tightly bound to the surface - none can get away and find their way to your nostrils.
What we perceive as a "metallic" smell or taste is actually due to a reaction between naturally occurring oils in the human body and the metal surface, producing volatile compounds that can then be smelled / tasted.

Pretty sure roman coins smelled the same as current coins, assuming the same metal composition.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Yeah but why does pussy taste like coins?

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Yeah but why does pussy taste like coins?

Because women's clothing often lacks pockets.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

System Metternich posted:

Traditional women‘s clothing in Bavaria doesn’t really lend itself well to quickly doing your business. I was told that until like the 60s and 70s you could sometimes see old ladies in my hometown who still wore that getup as their everyday attire just stopping whatever they were doing, standing still for a while and then going on, leaving a pee puddle behind

Women in my Bavarian hometown, sometime during the 1950s or 60s

what the gently caress
what the gently caress
what the gently caress

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Kanine posted:

what the gently caress
what the gently caress
what the gently caress

to be fair I can't say whether it was really because the traditional clothing was just that cumbersome or because old ladies don't give any fucks ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

to be fair I can't say whether it was really because the traditional clothing was just that cumbersome or because old ladies don't give any fucks ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Those are both bad reasons

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

CleverHans posted:

Prepare to have your mind blown: you cannot smell metal.

All the atoms in metals are quite tightly bound to the surface - none can get away and find their way to your nostrils.
What we perceive as a "metallic" smell or taste is actually due to a reaction between naturally occurring oils in the human body and the metal surface, producing volatile compounds that can then be smelled / tasted.

Here's a fun video by my favorite science boi https://youtu.be/BqLH-nTZEOc

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

I’m 99% sure those are false etymologies. Like “can’t afford a pot to piss in” is self-explanatory without needing to talk about the medieval peeconomy.

They are false etymologies and come, almost verbatim, from an old chain e-mail of false etymologies.

Another tell that it's fake is that the expression "piss poor" doesn't refer to poverty, but to quality or craftsmanship. "What a piss poor excuse!", for example.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Traditional women‘s clothing in Bavaria doesn’t really lend itself well to quickly doing your business. I was told that until like the 60s and 70s you could sometimes see old ladies in my hometown who still wore that getup as their everyday attire just stopping whatever they were doing, standing still for a while and then going on, leaving a pee puddle behind

Women in my Bavarian hometown, sometime during the 1950s or 60s

Try 1980s. I personally witnessed it on the Marienplatz in Munich. (Though that may have been a homeless person.)

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Zopotantor posted:

Try 1980s. I personally witnessed it on the Marienplatz in Munich. (Though that may have been a homeless person.)

I'm pissing in church right now.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

GolfHole posted:

I'm pissing in church right now.

Be sure to collect it and deliver it to your nearest monarch.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

While it was common for royalty to marry within family it almost seems like it was a fetish for king Philip II of Spain:
His first marriage in 1543 was with the daughter of his maternal uncle and paternal aunt, Maria Manuela.
When she died he married his first cousin once removed, Queen Mary I of England.
Mary died in 1558 so he married Elisabeth of Valois, descended from their mutual ancestor Alfonso VII of León and Castile.
His fourth and final wife was his niece, Anna of Austria.
He was followed by his son Philip III of Spain who only managed to marry one cousin.

Alhazred has a new favorite as of 19:11 on Aug 28, 2019

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Alhazred posted:

While it was common for royalty to marry within family it almost seems like it was a fetish for king Philip II of Spain:
His first marriage in 1543 was with the daughter of his maternal uncle and paternal aunt, Maria Manuela.
When she died he married his first cousin once removed, Queen Mary I of England.
Mary died in 1558 so he married Elisabeth of Valois, descended from their mutual ancestor Alfonso VII of León and Castile.
His fourth and final wife was his niece, Anna of Austria.
He was followed by his son Philip III of Spain who only managed to marry one cousin.
just Hapsburg things

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/mps-threatening-barricade-themselves-boris-172900524.html

quote:

In March 1629, Charles I grew tired of a parliament which would not support financially, or otherwise, his disastrous and expensive foreign policy errors and ordered the dissolution of parliament. The MPs were so incensed when speaker John Finch announced the closure of the session, they promptly left their seats and sat on him. Holding him in the chair meant that he could not rise from his seat, and thus close the house. While he writhed under at least five members, the MPs passed a series of motions condemning the king’s policies.

:laffo:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

So theoretically Bercow could just refuse standing up to prolong the session indefinitely? I really hope that this whole shitshow becomes literal when Bercow has to poop in a sock while a bunch of Labour MPs stand guard lest any Tories violently carry the Speaker away :pray:

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

So theoretically Bercow could just refuse standing up to prolong the session indefinitely? I really hope that this whole shitshow becomes literal when Bercow has to poop in a sock while a bunch of Labour MPs stand guard lest any Tories violently carry the Speaker away :pray:

It's the UK, you can pretty much anything if some arsehole did it 1564 while making GBS threads in a bucket.

Uncodified constitutions are FUN!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Elizabeth II and Prince Phillip are both second cousins once removed and third cousins at the same time.

Which makes them basically not related as far as royal inbreeding goes.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Eleanor Roosevelt had a closer blood relationship to Theodore Roosevelt than FDR did.

TR was her uncle, while his relationship to FDR was as fourth cousin once removed.

They were on different branches, so FDR and Eleanor were fifth cousins once removed.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

A 16th century sabaton. The flexibility shown here would be useful in using stirrups. Foot armor such as this was actually not commonly worn when fighting on foot where mobility is key and the feet usually aren’t the target of blows. Sabatons become much more important when mounted and your feet become a more accessible target for foot soldiers.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

Elizabeth II and Prince Phillip are both second cousins once removed and third cousins at the same time.

Which makes them basically not related as far as royal inbreeding goes.

Leave it to an icelender to know exactly what kind of cousins you can gently caress to avoid inbreeding.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Alhazred posted:

Leave it to an icelender to know exactly what kind of cousins you can gently caress to avoid inbreeding.

There's an app for that.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The purpose of the app, which is actually a much older database that lists every single Icelander since at least the 18th century and a decent chunk before that, is mostly genealogy. Which has been a national pastime for generations. Back in the day a common question when first meeting someone was "Hverja manna ertu?" (literally "of what men are you?") Basically meaning who are your parents/grandparents/other notable relatives. The app actually allows you to trace your ancestors back centuries. Some people can even find direct lineage to the original settlers in the 9th century.

It comes handy for finding cousins to gently caress but that's more of an emergent feature than a core one.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Of loving course someone called FreudianSlippers posted:

The purpose of the app, which is actually a much older database that lists every single Icelander since at least the 18th century and a decent chunk before that, is mostly genealogy. Which has been a national pastime for generations. Back in the day a common question when first meeting someone was "Hverja manna ertu?" (literally "of what men are you?") Basically meaning who are your parents/grandparents/other notable relatives. The app actually allows you to trace your ancestors back centuries. Some people can even find direct lineage to the original settlers in the 9th century.

It comes handy for finding cousins to gently caress but that's more of an emergent feature than a core one.

I think you may have that a bit mixed up at the end there.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

yall should expand. the international cousin-loving market is ripe for disruption

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

OutOfPrint posted:

I think you may have that a bit mixed up at the end there.

:thejoke:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

looking for a series A for my new app. elevator pitch: its like uber, but one of your cousins show up and you have sex. i call it les cousins dangereux (open for discussion on that)

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Krankenstyle posted:

looking for a series A for my new app. elevator pitch: its like uber, but one of your cousins show up and you have sex. i call it les cousins dangereux (open for discussion on that)

I think that the State of Alabama is not allowed to directly fund private software developer, even though there is that one case where Rhode Island owns the IPR to a video game.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Der Kyhe posted:

I think that the State of Alabama is not allowed to directly fund private software developer, even though there is that one case where Rhode Island owns the IPR to a video game.

as if the public/private distinction ever stopped anyone. lets get that cousin-fuckin grift going

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

FreudianSlippers posted:

I was at a bar with an Icelandic friend and we used it to look up how distantly he was related to Bjork. It would work with other famous icelandic people too but we couldn't think of any.