Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I, personally, will make no excuses for the bloodshed that can free us from this hell. <3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Len posted:

So it's kickbacks and greed like why one time I went to get flu medicine that was covered only when I got to the pharmacy I was told "the insurance is refusing because of an incorrect packaging type" the person on the phone assured me it was because they didn't cover that medicine in blister packs and that only certain skus would work.

While she was wasting my time the pharmacy kept trying every box they had until something went through and it turns out they meant to say "we don't like that manufacturer"

It's doubly so kickbacks because they switched you to a mail-order pharmacy and those are like, directly in cahoots with the insurers most of the time.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Pulcinella posted:

Yeah I take medication for ADHD and some insurance I’ve had won’t cover it without prior authorization (or won’t cover it at all) because the insurance plan considers it “age inappropriate.” I guess no one told my brain that ADHD magically disappears when you turn 18. It is evidence that the forces of capital aren’t completely unified. If they were (or capital was willing to cut off its own leaches) we would probably have universal healthcare. I need my medication to be a good worker drone.

I had to do a prior auth for the same thing once but they didn't give me a reason lol

Did the prior auth and they haven't complained since though :shrug:

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Len posted:

Someone explain health insurance to me because I don't get it.

I have a script for Albuterol because my lungs hate me. Whenever I've gotten an inhaler in the past it was $50 for one. Starting July 1st they became a free refill through my insurance and the mail service sends three months at once.

I finally ran out of the trial inhaler and ordered "three months"

I got 6 of the fuckers. For free. This would normally be a $300 purchase and now it's just free? There's a catch somewhere right?

insurance providers have a large amount of buying power and are able to negotiate prices. the drug companies say "our product costs x" and the insurance companies say "gently caress you, we'll pay you 25% of that". eventually they all settle on a price, you pay a monthly fee, and your insurer gets to pocket whatever the difference is. both sides know what the game is so the drug companies price things with a massive mark-up, so even when they get talked down to a fraction of that amount, they still make a profit

as an individual you have no buying power, so you're forced to pay the ludicrous marked-up price

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Len posted:

I have a script for Albuterol because my lungs hate me. Whenever I've gotten an inhaler in the past it was $50 for one. Starting July 1st they became a free refill through my insurance and the mail service sends three months at once.

I got 6 of the fuckers. For free. This would normally be a $300 purchase and now it's just free? There's a catch somewhere right?

Ventolin went generic not too long ago, that might be what filtered down to you.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
my stepmother works in the billing department of a large hospital network and everyone in her building does nothing but negotiate with insurance. teams deal with one specific company and each insurance company has their own team that does nothing but negotiate back. every time you get health care in the united states, this is where your money is going.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Remember when saying doctors only treat the symptoms and not the cause was tinfoil hat territory instead of something pharma ceos bragged about?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

little munchkin posted:

my stepmother works in the billing department of a large hospital network and everyone in her building does nothing but negotiate with insurance. teams deal with one specific company and each insurance company has their own team that does nothing but negotiate back. every time you get health care in the united states, this is where your money is going.

I'm sure you hate freedom so much that you want some government hot shot to just tell people how much to pay for drugs too right :colbert:

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Back when I did care coordination for trans patients my job was 99% telling insurance that they're breaking the law on coverage and the rest was begging surgeons to take medicaid. Single payer would be so god drat easier and faster and cheaper and we're never going to have it.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

T-man posted:

Back when I did care coordination for trans patients my job was 99% telling insurance that they're breaking the law on coverage and the rest was begging surgeons to take medicaid. Single payer would be so god drat easier and faster and cheaper and we're never going to have it.

but how would you PAY for it????????????????

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
*Wants overpriced fighter jets that don't even work in the rain*

"Why do you hate our troops?"

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Len posted:

$50! gently caress, I can get Albuterol, Ventolin, and the other one I forget the name of thats good for asthmatics, for 5 euros.
gently caress they sometimes throw in a few for free if they see I was bad.
The mark up on those must be like 95%.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
I can't wait for my £18 inhaler prescription to cost infinity money when we sell our NHS to your insurance companies

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
my parents are republican and ask how I could be in favor of single payer when I have a “good” high deductible plan. I haven’t sought healthcare since college because I’m worried it will be expensive. the last time I went to a medical practitioner was in rural Oaxaca, when I crashed a bike and scraped up my legs and arms. because Mexico has a better healthcare system apparently, all I had to do was sign my name and tip the nurse 20 pesos (a dollar) for her trouble.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

I can't wait for my £18 inhaler prescription to cost infinity money when we sell our NHS to your insurance companies

please riot

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

spankmeister posted:

Pharmaceutical companies are basically rent-seekers. They extract rent from the ill by holding their health and well-being hostage.

literally even poo poo rear end propaganda class macroecon 100 covers elasticity of demand

they don't draw the connection between completely inflexible demand being indistinguishable from extortion but the american people do, which is why m4a is so popular

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

happyhippy posted:

$50! gently caress, I can get Albuterol, Ventolin, and the other one I forget the name of thats good for asthmatics, for 5 euros.
gently caress they sometimes throw in a few for free if they see I was bad.
The mark up on those must be like 95%.

much higher than that, wholesale cost in countries that just ignore pharma patents is $1.12 for a 200 dose inhaler

the actual cost is just, running bioreactors and a handful of chemists

as a chemical the synthesis is quite simple http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/local/projects/j_hettich/salbutamol/noframes/nfsynthesis.html

atelier morgan has issued a correction as of 14:26 on Aug 24, 2019

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
the same is true of the vast majority of pharmaceuticals

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

little munchkin posted:

That's not really fair. A lot of that money goes towards stock buybacks, too.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

my parents are republican and ask how I could be in favor of single payer when I have a “good” high deductible plan. I haven’t sought healthcare since college because I’m worried it will be expensive. the last time I went to a medical practitioner was in rural Oaxaca, when I crashed a bike and scraped up my legs and arms. because Mexico has a better healthcare system apparently, all I had to do was sign my name and tip the nurse 20 pesos (a dollar) for her trouble.

I suffered through years of an infected root canal which could have killed me. I was off my folks insurance and the insurance company told me to go gently caress myself. When I tried to pay someone to extract the infected tooth, nobody would touch it because of insurance bullshit. They would just give me a script for antibiotics and call it a day.

Finally, I got my passport and went down to Mexico. It only cost me $50 to extract the fucker from my mouth. Crisis averted. I even went back for braces and made monthly appointments by car. I would rather have made day trips to Mexico for dental care instead of going to a dentist office in the states to Get some consultation from a doctor hear a sales pitch from some secretary for a procedure that costs 6 times what I would pay over the border.

There are entire towns along the border that depend on medical tourism. Dental isn't covered for poo poo under Medicare and it's not uncommon to see retirees coming out of pharmacies with filled prescriptions their insurance told them they would not fill.

But mention any of these experiences in r/dentistry or other medical subreddits and they will circle the wagons around "proper" dentists and dismiss medical anywhere else as savagery. What does a brown person know about root canals anyway?

I'm short, the American Healthcare Industry must be destroyed.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Taintrunner posted:

please riot

a police officer just died on duty so we're due a crackdown any minute now and the part of the population willing to stand up to the state is tiny

larper
Apr 9, 2019

little munchkin posted:

My stepfather supposedly has the best healthcare in the country (blue cross) and he spends about 30 hours a year on the phone with insurance "approving charges" for routine procedures. They never deny stuff but their entire MO is to play the float and do everything they can to delay paying, like every other insurance co

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Taintrunner posted:

please riot

If there's one thing that might actually get the wretched inhabitants of the UK to riot, it would be loving with the NHS on an obvious scale

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Spuckuk posted:

If there's one thing that might actually get the wretched inhabitants of the UK to riot, it would be loving with the NHS on an obvious scale

like a dozen anarchists will riot. The SWP will organise polite protests by the middle class

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

atelier morgan posted:

much higher than that, wholesale cost in countries that just ignore pharma patents is $1.12 for a 200 dose inhaler

the actual cost is just, running bioreactors and a handful of chemists

as a chemical the synthesis is quite simple http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/local/projects/j_hettich/salbutamol/noframes/nfsynthesis.html

So why isn't there a bootlegger market for cheap medications? Seems like a logical step to do, especially in building non-capitalist production. Is it just the War On Drugs paranoia, or is there something obvious I'm missing?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

T-man posted:

So why isn't there a bootlegger market for cheap medications? Seems like a logical step to do, especially in building non-capitalist production. Is it just the War On Drugs paranoia, or is there something obvious I'm missing?

Running a fermenter or a synthesis lab means making sure the products are sterile, accurately dosed out, and free from contaminants. All of this is STILL hella cheap when reduced to cost per unit, but a biohacker (read: an idiot with a bucket in a basement) wont have this QC and sterility system in place. The result: dead people.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Forceholy posted:

I suffered through years of an infected root canal which could have killed me.

Dental isn't covered for poo poo under Medicare and it's not uncommon to see retirees coming out of pharmacies with filled prescriptions their insurance told them they would not fill.

I'm short, the American Healthcare Industry must be destroyed.

Which, again, is crazy. I’m surprised dental (and vision) aren’t the only thing covered by American insurance because those are the two cases where preventative medicine are the most effective. It’s way cheaper to pay for people’s dental check-ups, throw ‘em a pair of glasses, and send them back into the Walmart mines than it is to to pay for the uninsured to spend two months in the hospital as they have their jawbone removed due to an infected tooth.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
for-profit health insurance is one of those things that should instantly radicalize people and it astounds me that it doesn't. if you think about it for more than like, 5 seconds you realize that they inherently want to pay out as little money as possible because every dime they pay out is less profit for them, but ofc that means questioning the Inherent Goodness of The Free Market and Competition so it'll never happen

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

T-man posted:

What do you think Bernie just did, very visibly a little bit ago? The modern equivalent of running moonshine across the border

mycomancy posted:

Running a fermenter or a synthesis lab means making sure the products are sterile, accurately dosed out, and free from contaminants. All of this is STILL hella cheap when reduced to cost per unit, but a biohacker (read: an idiot with a bucket in a basement) wont have this QC and sterility system in place. The result: dead people.

this, it'd be soylent but worse

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Pulcinella posted:

Which, again, is crazy. I’m surprised dental (and vision) aren’t the only thing covered by American insurance because those are the two cases where preventative medicine are the most effective. It’s way cheaper to pay for people’s dental check-ups, throw ‘em a pair of glasses, and send them back into the Walmart mines than it is to to pay for the uninsured to spend two months in the hospital as they have their jawbone removed due to an infected tooth.
cheaper healthcare is bad for number

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

anonumos posted:

I was able to buy a house because it's the rear end end of nowhere, I qualified for a first time homeowner loan from FHA, and I pulled money from my 401k to cover closing costs. Oh, and I'm a computer tickler who even had a 401k to pull from.

Same except my company decided to do all their 401k matching in stock then they filed for bankruptcy so weeeeelp

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

here is my favorite american healthcare story from earlier this year. my wife works in a hospital and is insured by that hospital. she found a lump in her breast this winter. generally, it isnt an issue for someone in their early 30s, but her grandma died of breast cancer in her 40s.

anyway, her doctor gave her an exam and said "yup, that's a lump" and sent her to get a mammogram. thankfully, it wasn't anything to worry about. a couple weeks later, she got a bill and was *pleasantly surprised* that it *only* cost us $400 out of pocket.

the hospital charged it's own employee $400 to have a diagnostic test performed by another employee using the hospital's equipment and she was happy that "all" it cost us was 53 hours of labor at the minimum wage in our state. the system is hosed

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

There's totally a market for "pet" medicine that's the same chemically as human medicine but not held to the same quality etc. standards. Go check out the Amazon reviews for fish antibiotics and poo poo

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

this month i moved from one position to another at the same employer. however, for god knows what reason they have a different insurance company for my new position and they havent gotten around to putting me on the new health insurance yet so i paid $200 this month out of pocket for a monthly prescription refill. allegedly i will be able to get it reimbursed when they get around to filing the paperwork to retroactively put me on my new insurance

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

T-man posted:

There used to be bus trips over the Canadian border to get cheaper drugs.
But I think that was made illegal or stamped out.
As profits.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

little munchkin posted:

I’ve shared my health insurance story before but here it is again. On the day of my wedding my wife had to go the ER. It was also the day she was scheduled to end her lovely insurance and go on my less lovely insurance. Well there was a lot of bickering between the 2 companies of who would pay for her ER visit.

A lady from blue cross called her and essentially said “it sure is strange you’d file a claim like that on the last day of coverage”to which my wife replied “it was my loving wedding day!” Which seemed to be enough to shut them up and write the check.

Irony: We are now both covered by blue cross again because it’s what my wife’s employer Offers.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

T-man posted:

they'd probably do more time for patent infringement, tax evasion, and fda for less money than synthesizing lsd, dmt, or whatever

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
When I lived in America we had some baller insurance. One month I ended up in the ER twice; each time for over six hours with xrays and ultrasounds. I can't remember exactly but all it cost us was the two copays of about $100 each. The invoices paid by the insurance co were like 10k each.

I also take a fancy medication for a chronic disease and without insurance the cost was just insane. I paid $20 every two months for it but the invoice the insurance co paid was just under 9k, every two months (eight weeks).

Now we live in glorious Europe and going to a doctor or hospital is just surreal. There is simply no discussion about cost or money ever. When you go to a clinic you go straight back to wait outside the door to the doctor's office; they call you in and do the check up or whatever and then you leave. That's it. I always feel like I'm shoplifting something when I walk out..

Both my wife and I have had surgery here and paid nothing.

Also now I am on a more expensive medication (humira) and it's just free here.

Oh and our child's daycare was subsidised and public school (9 hours/day) is available from age 3.

I think my taxes here are 5-10% higher boo hoooooo.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

happyhippy posted:

There used to be bus trips over the Canadian border to get cheaper drugs.
But I think that was made illegal or stamped out.
As profits.

Free market and competition are good for the economy!

*crosses border to save thousands of dollars on healthcare*

No not like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Xkdc Larper posted:

My stepfather supposedly has the best healthcare in the country (blue cross) and he spends about 30 hours a year on the phone with insurance "approving charges" for routine procedures. They never deny stuff but their entire MO is to play the float and do everything they can to delay paying, like every other insurance co

Lmao which blue cross cuz I think they're different for each region. I mean I have blue cross and it will cover gender surgery and hormones for my wife, but nothing else, while meanwhile people on these very forums are getting entirely new butts and boobs covered :colbert: