Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Looks like TX has the right idea with their substitute permit slip. Thanks for the info.
it has little impact on the suicide rate, as people with a concealed handgun permit already tend to have a handgun they can kill themselves with. it is a great way for prohibited persons, even clearly dangerous ones from acquiring more guns, though. but just think of all those seconds people are saving every year by not having to fill out a 4473. good work identifying that texas is an outlier as a red state with a low gun death rate, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

for real though we should ban all the guns. heck i'll even compromise and only ban semiautomatic ones.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Groovelord Neato posted:

for real though we should ban all the guns. heck i'll even compromise and only ban semiautomatic ones.
But I like the guns. :(

Seriously though just unfucking the current implementation of NICS would be such a huge step in the right direction that it is endlessly frustrating that there is absolutely zero political will to do it.

Noshtane
Nov 22, 2007

The fish itself incites to deeds of hunger
One thing US gun owners could do is to stop using human targets on shooting ranges. It’s one big difference between the US and European shooting ranges that I’ve seen.
From the first moment new gun owners get to hold their potential guns in the US, they’re being put in front of human shaped targets, be it silhouettes or a outright photograph of a human pointing a gun at them.
It kind of sets the tone on what the final purpose of the gun is, only to be reinforced by anti-gun folks calling their new guns “murder toys”, or something to that extent.

At every gun range I’ve been to here in Europe, bringing a human shaped targets would be regarded as extremely tasteless and you’d more likely than not be asked to leave. Of course the military and police use human targets but their gun usage is very much in the nasty business of life taking and hurting people.
Civilians who aren’t supposed to shoot at other humans shouldn’t be practicing as if they are about to do so.

It might be small and insignificant but it is something the reasonable gun owner can do without too much trouble.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
But fantasies about shooting that guy who's definitely going to break into your house and take your PS4 are a big part of why you buy the gun.

I know this because nearly every gun owner I have ever talked to has decided I need to hear about their plans, in detail.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Also, white-painted cardboard human silhouettes are often used for "no-shoot" penalty targets in place of the usual brown ones. I want to imagine that this convention began for visibility/scoring/cost reasons and the rascist undertone was unintentional, but...

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Just grab the SRA target pack and you're good to go.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Rent-A-Cop posted:

But I like the guns. :(

Seriously though just unfucking the current implementation of NICS would be such a huge step in the right direction that it is endlessly frustrating that there is absolutely zero political will to do it.
there is negative political will do to it, as Gun People know it's a broken, ineffective joke. that's exactly how they like it and anytime someone proposes fixing it or providing meaningful oversight, they invariably defect with "enforce the current laws!!" or ~mEnTaL hEalTh~. about 1/3 of all gun owners, aka Gun People, want no (gun) laws at all, because they are largely insulated from gun violence and it's largely Those People who are the ones dying, which is great in their eyes. the number of youtube and social media militant weirdos shrieking about repealing the "unconstitutional" NFA in the last few years is pretty embarrassing.

Roumba posted:

Also, white-painted cardboard human silhouettes are often used for "no-shoot" penalty targets in place of the usual brown ones. I want to imagine that this convention began for visibility/scoring/cost reasons and the rascist undertone was unintentional, but...
that's just the color of cardboard. they're largely insane maga racists that laugh at this coincidence, though.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

TenementFunster posted:

that's just the color of cardboard. they're largely insane maga racists that laugh at this coincidence, though.

"coincidence"

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Jaxyon posted:

"coincidence"
cardboard covered in paper is more expensive than cardboard not covered in paper. of course you’re supposed to put the holes in the less expensive kind.

there is a lot about gun culture that is expressly racist. the relative cost of paper products isn’t one of them.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

TenementFunster posted:

cardboard covered in paper is more expensive than cardboard not covered in paper. of course you’re supposed to put the holes in the less expensive kind.

there is a lot about gun culture that is expressly racist. the relative cost of paper products isn’t one of them.

It's not that big a difference and only white people would have looked at it and said "nah that's fine".

You're assuming it can't be both.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

It's not that big a difference and only white people would have looked at it and said "nah that's fine".

Cardboard being brown probably isn't the biggest problem with gun culture.

Like, probably isn't even in the top 100.

That said my targets are blue because I'm training to defeat the Atlantean menace.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Cardboard being brown probably isn't the biggest problem with gun culture.

Like, probably isn't even in the top 100.

That said my targets are blue because I'm training to defeat the Atlantean menace.

Absolutely it isn't, but the point being that I'm not giving gun culture the benefit of the doubt that they were "accidentally" racist-appearing.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

Absolutely it isn't, but the point being that I'm not giving gun culture the benefit of the doubt that they were "accidentally" racist-appearing.
I think cardboard being brown probably has very little to do with racism, but this is America so lol.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Jaxyon posted:

this is absolutely the dumbest possible argument i have ever seen in over a decade of discussing this topic

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

TenementFunster posted:

this is a zero upside move that solves no pressing issues and everyone would hate it. filling out a 4473 takes under 30 seconds, and i’ve only had one problem with NICS in 15 years over two dozen transfers in three different states. the Texas CHL being an end-run around a background check is a disaster. it’s how guys like Hank Yoo were able to get guns as a prohibited possessor. we need a more rigorous background check system, not an even-more-express lane with somehow even less oversight.

also, this idea is a non-starter with the gun crowd because ~rEgIsTrAtIon iS cOnfIscATIon~ and they would fight it every step of the way

30 seconds? For a gun transaction? The only one I've experienced that was even remotely that fast was buying a shotgun from a yard sale out in the middle of nowhere. Canada has a similar system with no gun registration system. The card would have a rolling monthly background check and would require enforcement. It sounds like he shouldn't have gotten texas carry license to begin with, but given the sorry state of mental health reporting.. I'm not surprised.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Noshtane posted:

One thing US gun owners could do is to stop using human targets on shooting ranges. It’s one big difference between the US and European shooting ranges that I’ve seen.
From the first moment new gun owners get to hold their potential guns in the US, they’re being put in front of human shaped targets, be it silhouettes or a outright photograph of a human pointing a gun at them.
It kind of sets the tone on what the final purpose of the gun is, only to be reinforced by anti-gun folks calling their new guns “murder toys”, or something to that extent.

At every gun range I’ve been to here in Europe, bringing a human shaped targets would be regarded as extremely tasteless and you’d more likely than not be asked to leave. Of course the military and police use human targets but their gun usage is very much in the nasty business of life taking and hurting people.
Civilians who aren’t supposed to shoot at other humans shouldn’t be practicing as if they are about to do so.

It might be small and insignificant but it is something the reasonable gun owner can do without too much trouble.

What if you are a member of the military practicing on your own time?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Big K of Justice posted:

30 seconds? For a gun transaction?
it’s your name and address, then “yes” followed by a bunch of “no” then a signature. add in 60 seconds for a phone call or the even faster e-file, and you’re out the door with your new toy. it’s embarrassing.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

TenementFunster posted:

it’s your name and address, then “yes” followed by a bunch of “no” then a signature. add in 60 seconds for a phone call or the even faster e-file, and you’re out the door with your new toy. it’s embarrassing.
Don't forget the part where the jackass charges you $75 to make the phone call.

Noshtane
Nov 22, 2007

SimonCat posted:

What if you are a member of the military practicing on your own time?

I’m not military so I can’t say for certain but on the shooting ranges I’ve been to, guys who are in the National Guard shoot at the paper moose like everyone else. Same for the off duty police who go to the range I use. Never been to a proper military range though, they tend to be closed off for civilians.
The conditioning to shoot moose is strong and it shows, Sweden harvest ten times more moose than Alaska or so I’ve heard at least.
Maybe I’m impressionable but when I see a moose in the wild, some part of my mind look for back stop, shooting angle and lead, maybe because I’ve been shooting a paper moose running back and forth on the range all my life.
If that is the case, isn’t it possible that someone who spend his life shooting paper humans start to have parts of his mind thinking of strangers as potential targets?

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I feel like that's kind of a video games cause gun violence stretch to my mind. That said, a huge part of gun culture in the US, including current interpretations of the second amendment, revolve around self defense, which definitely implies shooting other people.

I have a hard time imaging getting rid of silhouette targets in an atmosphere where it is openly acknowledged and agreed that one of the main purposes of owning a gun is to use it to kill someone else.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Woah that body count is high for the last two year, good lord :stonk:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Noshtane posted:

I’m not military so I can’t say for certain but on the shooting ranges I’ve been to, guys who are in the National Guard shoot at the paper moose like everyone else. Same for the off duty police who go to the range I use. Never been to a proper military range though, they tend to be closed off for civilians.
The conditioning to shoot moose is strong and it shows, Sweden harvest ten times more moose than Alaska or so I’ve heard at least.
Maybe I’m impressionable but when I see a moose in the wild, some part of my mind look for back stop, shooting angle and lead, maybe because I’ve been shooting a paper moose running back and forth on the range all my life.
If that is the case, isn’t it possible that someone who spend his life shooting paper humans start to have parts of his mind thinking of strangers as potential targets?

You probably shouldn't be allowed to own a gun as you are mentally unwell if you associate vague shapes with the need to kill.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Parrotine posted:

Woah that body count is high for the last two year, good lord :stonk:

Yeah. poo poo's gone off the rails.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

flightless greeb posted:

I feel like that's kind of a video games cause gun violence stretch to my mind. That said, a huge part of gun culture in the US, including current interpretations of the second amendment, revolve around self defense, which definitely implies shooting other people.

I have a hard time imaging getting rid of silhouette targets in an atmosphere where it is openly acknowledged and agreed that one of the main purposes of owning a gun is to use it to kill someone else.

there's also target stores that sell explicit, existing human targets, often public/political figures like Obama. i don't know if those "cause" gun violence but I can't imagine they wouldn't reinforce fermenting radicalization

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah. poo poo's gone off the rails.

I know this isnt really adding to the discussion in the same way as other posters, but I am curious what would happen if a Democrat wins in 2020 and pulls an Executive Order stunt within his/her first week of office with something like Background Checks, or banning sales of weapons AR-15 and stronger, or anything really. I know Obama did it a bit after the Sandy Hook shooting but he did it right before the midterms rolled around and it got undone within the next year I think.

I think if they sort of just blunt force it into law and gave it enough breathing room to produce the results, the public opinion on both sides would sway enough that any politician who tries to dismantle it would really start to look at it as a lost cause to repeal or face a dead career, similar to how killing the ACA seems to Republican senators now.

I know it's more complicated then that but a full four years or even just two would be huge towards curbing the tide here.

Noshtane
Nov 22, 2007

You probably shouldn't be allowed to own a gun as you are mentally unwell if you associate vague shapes with the need to kill.

You probably shouldn't be allowed to post since you are mentally unwell if you associate my post about conditioning on visual stimuli as an urge to murder.

Insults aside, I'm not entirely talking out my rear end.
You can condition people on visual stimuli. If it can have impact on someones willingness to pull the trigger on an actual human I have no idea whatsoever though, that I admit.
Still, if you are fine with civilians dressing up in faux military gear and running various scenarios on the shooting range on how to best dispatch your fellow man, that is on you.
I will never do that kind of shooting since I find it distasteful and a disturbing.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Parrotine posted:

I think if they sort of just blunt force it into law and gave it enough breathing room to produce the results, the public opinion on both sides would sway enough that any politician who tries to dismantle it would really start to look at it as a lost cause to repeal or face a dead career, similar to how killing the ACA seems to Republican senators now.

I know it's more complicated then that but a full four years or even just two would be huge towards curbing the tide here.
lol definitely not on both sides. no amount of statistical data will sway the opinion of the gun sovereign citizen types. hell, the AWB expired with barely a peep from congress.

and short of a massive confiscation of handguns and semi-automatic rifles, such a law would probably take years, if not decades to have an effect in curbing mass shootings. the number of semi-automatic rifles out there has increased by an order of magnitude since the AWB expired in 2004, having really taken off when the bottom fell out on prices in the last few years.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Noshtane posted:

It is an interesting idea. Part of the reason that the military trains with silhouettes and not targets is the idea that shooting any part of a person is good enough when engaged in a battle.

I know it's not quite what you meant, but the image of Swedes being a kind friendly people with a societal bloodlust for moose is a funny one. Like there is some deep, ancient enmity between the two.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Why not try a vacation in Sweden?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Apollodorus posted:

Why not try a vacation in Sweden?
Go to Oslo instead and see all those weird statues.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

TenementFunster posted:

lol definitely not on both sides. no amount of statistical data will sway the opinion of the gun sovereign citizen types. hell, the AWB expired with barely a peep from congress.

and short of a massive confiscation of handguns and semi-automatic rifles, such a law would probably take years, if not decades to have an effect in curbing mass shootings. the number of semi-automatic rifles out there has increased by an order of magnitude since the AWB expired in 2004, having really taken off when the bottom fell out on prices in the last few years.

Agreed, gun legislation isn't a useful avenue for decreasing mass-shooting or murders in general.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Agreed, gun legislation isn't a useful avenue for decreasing mass-shooting or murders in general.
drat, it took you a week to type this?

anyway i'm sure it's just a weird coincidence that all five of the deadliest mass shootings in US history occurred in the 15 years the AWB expired. these decades of statistical data have to be a fluke or otherwise meaningless somehow, or else i might have to actually confront the societal consequences of my extremely dangerous hobby, which sounds very unpleasant.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

TenementFunster posted:

drat, it took you a week to type this?

anyway i'm sure it's just a weird coincidence that all five of the deadliest mass shootings in US history occurred in the 15 years the AWB expired. these decades of statistical data have to be a fluke or otherwise meaningless somehow, or else i might have to actually confront the societal consequences of my extremely dangerous hobby, which sounds very unpleasant.

I mean, the AWB left a large number of weapons legal that don't have dumb tacticlol poo poo bolted to them but are just as deadly.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

TenementFunster posted:

anyway i'm sure it's just a weird coincidence that all five of the deadliest mass shootings in US history occurred in the 15 years the AWB expired.
Yes this is extremely just a coincidence, especially considering one of those mass shootings used pistols.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

twodot posted:

Yes this is extremely just a coincidence, especially considering one of those mass shootings used pistols.
the AWB also banned high capacity pistol magazines, which come standard with every Glock 19 sold in Virginia! hell, he could have used a 33rd magazine, too, just like the guy who rearranged Gabby Gifford’s brains and shot 12 other people before he had to reload and got taken down. details are kinda scant on the VT shooting.

although it doesn’t take much to line up a bunch of people and shoot them in the back of the head, which is how most of the VT victims died. american students weren’t as conditioned to mass shootings in 2007 as they are now, because we live in hell.

suck my woke dick posted:

I mean, the AWB left a large number of weapons legal that don't have dumb tacticlol poo poo bolted to them but are just as deadly.
yeah, it was deffo watered down to get it passed. banning all semi-autos would have been much more effective. banning high capacity magazines was the most effective part of the AWB when it came to preventing mass shooting, second to neutering the appeal of AR ownership, which exploded after it expired.

in conclusion, add semiautomatic rifles and handguns to the NFA if you don’t want them banned outright.

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 24, 2019

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

There was an interesting article published recently that argued there's good reason to believe some kinds of gun legislation is, and it seems pretty plausible. It also directly relates to the point Hieronymous Alloy was making recently, that suicide and mass shootings are probably a related phenomena.

Can We Prevent Mass Shootings by Preventing Suicide?

quote:

Studies have shown that state-level versions of[“red flag laws”] have been effective at preventing suicide. But can they actually address the separate issue of mass shootings? Surprisingly, experts think they could. And that’s because — just like a fragile, cracked bone could be a symptom of certain kinds of cancers — researchers are finding evidence that suicides and mass shootings can often be different expressions of the same problem.

“Many of these mass shootings are angry suicides,” says James Densley, professor of criminal justice at Minnesota’s Metropolitan State University.

Densley is part of a team that is working on a database of more than 150 mass shootings that took place between 1966 and 2018. His data won’t be public until January, but he said about half the attackers in his sample had demonstrated signs of feeling suicidal before they hurt others. A different set of researchers who analyzed 41 school shooters for the Secret Service and Department of Education found that 78 percent had a history of thinking about or attempting suicide.

quote:

There’s no single type of red flag law. The phrase is more of an umbrella term for a range of regulations implemented in at least 17 states. Typically, they allow people to report the dangerous behavior or mental state of someone they know. From there, those reports are evaluated and, if necessary, authorities can temporarily confiscate the troubled individual’s guns and prevent them from buying more. Once the crisis has passed, the person can get their guns back.

These rules were originally about suicide prevention, Densley told me, and were built as extensions of voluntary campaigns that encourage gun owners to give their guns to a friend if they are feeling suicidal. Experts in suicide prevention have long supported campaigns like this because of the strong links between gun accessibility and suicide. Most gun deaths in this country are suicides, and guns are the leading means of suicide. Experts say that when someone is suicidal, if they decide to act on that feeling, they are likely to turn to a familiar tool they’re already comfortable using — and when that tool is a gun, it’s particularly likely to be lethal.

And at least when it comes to suicide prevention, there’s evidence that red flag laws do work. In the decade after passing a red flag law, Indiana saw a 7.5 percent reduction in firearm suicides. In Connecticut, a red flag law was associated with a 13.7 percent reduction in firearm suicides between 2007 and 2015.

Because mass shootings are so rare, I doubt we will have good empirical evidence that red flag laws can prevent mass shootings. HOWEVER, if mass shootings are often essentially a subset of suicides, and these laws can prevent suicides, then it is reasonable to suppose they will also reduce mass shootings.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Squalid posted:

There was an interesting article published recently that argued there's good reason to believe some kinds of gun legislation is, and it seems pretty plausible. It also directly relates to the point Hieronymous Alloy was making recently, that suicide and mass shootings are probably a related phenomena.

Can We Prevent Mass Shootings by Preventing Suicide?

Because mass shootings are so rare, I doubt we will have good empirical evidence that red flag laws can prevent mass shootings. HOWEVER, if mass shootings are often essentially a subset of suicides, and these laws can prevent suicides, then it is reasonable to suppose they will also reduce mass shootings.

So basically, mental health is the core problem with mass shootings and we need to do more to improve mental health care access to all people.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

zapplez posted:

So basically, mental health is the core problem with mass shootings and we need to do more to improve mental health care access to all people.

~ish.

"mental health" is a pretty meaningless phrase; it's equivalent to saying the problem with health care is "the sickness."

The problem is suicidality specifically and America's current suicide epidemic, especially among white males.

Suicide support health care, mental health crisis services, etc., are all part of the answer to that but lack of mental health care isn't the only driver of the suicide epidemic. We also need to fix our society generally -- more opportunity, more social bonds, more social supports, less atomization; we need to restructure our society such that it produces fewer suicidal people in the first place.

It's a big ask. But we didn't get into this epidemic through one factor. We're particularly awful on a lot of different vectors and they've all combined to produce this particular crisis.

Universal free health care is absolutely part of the answer but so are things like universal job programs (most mass shootings are workplace shootings after a firing) and a general reduction in access to firearms (you stop suicide by barring means). We also need to figure out some way to get people to build more resilient, less atomized social networks.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Guys, I think all of the mass shootings might have another common factor! At last, I have solved the mystery of the ages!

Males. The problem is males. What did you think I meant