Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Kosumo posted:

This is one thing that really fucks me off about these people, how disrespectful they are.

Take your loving sun glasses off inside .... Double so for Sandi back when she was on one of those weekly shows ... Sitting there eating food with sun glasses on - really loving disrespectful, and tells you alot about them.

Pet peeve.

/Rant over.

Reminds of this British Army commercial from the 90s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBVAzfpjzGc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

...that's not a mine!

E: And what happens when it runs out of ammo??

Game over man, game over!

Blue On Blue posted:

The new 650$ jpeg is a heavily armo

Stop there you loving FUDster, you bear fucker... it's $675, (plus tax, new money only, subject to change, it's only a concept)

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

> Lone wolf gameplay support

> Multicrew of eight

Wut.png

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

> Multicrew of eight

Wut.png

No no, it supports OTHER lone wolves.

Which wouldn't make them lone wolves to begin with

Look just shut up and buy the loving thing.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

> Multicrew of eight

Wut.png

The other people are only required to man the turrets and clean the bathrooms. As long as you don't mind your commando wearing diapers and not having access to the turrets then you can go lone wolf.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Jobbo_Fett posted:

No no, it supports OTHER lone wolves.

Which wouldn't make them lone wolves to begin with

Look just shut up and buy the loving thing.

:shepspends:

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

IncredibleIgloo posted:

So, I guess I have to ask:
--What does my crew of 8 do for this ship? 4 Gunners, 1 pilot, 2 mine deployer, 1 captain?

I expect 5 gunners, as one of the turrets is large. With one pilot and one mine deployer, yes.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:laffo:

$1000 minimum spend

$275 ticket

(+ travel and accommodation)

opportunity to buy a $675 space mine layer

crammed in rows like at a :10bux: diner

I'm crying :cawg:

Quavers fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 24, 2019

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

> Multicrew of eight

Wut.png

Most likely means that the ship can work* solo, instead of in a larger fleet** of, for example, couple of Idrises(Idrii?)*** and a Bengal****

*It won't work
*There won't be fleet mechanics
**Neither will there be an Idris, not to mention a couple
****You know how this goes by now

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I'm the guy with the tophat and a schnorres

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Quavers posted:

$1000 minimum spend

$275 ticket

Yeah, this is pretty loving bad.

What a farce.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Quavers posted:

$1000 minimum spend

$275 ticket

This is the most depressing thing I've ever seen.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

It's extra sad when you consider who they were taken by. I guess it would be understandable from a certain point of view - if you're a rube for a dashing, charismatic, intelligent conman, it's easier to face your loss. When you're taken in by a moronic, drooling, stammering idiot, it's a bit harder to admit you've been had.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Lol @ the top hat

also its 99% fat bald white dudes

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Zaphod42 posted:

Lol @ the top hat

also its 99% fat bald white dudes

I've convinced the tophat is an undercover goon trying to see how far he can take it.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Quavers posted:

$1000 minimum spend

$275 ticket

I've interacted with at least one of these people on Reddit. I wonder who is who.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Scruffpuff posted:

I've convinced the tophat is an undercover goon trying to see how far he can take it.

I bet its MoMa

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I bet its MoMa

I thought that :lol: but I think he's finally reached his limit and just moved on. Still waiting for the hellflames he promised to visit on CIG if they turned out to be a scam company.

Wish I could find that post.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Strangler 42 posted:

I've interacted with at least one of these people on Reddit. I wonder who is who.

The nazi, the pedo, the pedo-nazi. Who knows really.

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I bet its MoMa

Too bad you can't see the belt. That would be a surefire way to know

FailureToReport
Nov 25, 2017

Warlord in training

Quavers posted:

Please have sympathy for GioGetMoney, the guy's Youtube channel has been bleeding subscribers for over a year :ohdear:

https://twitter.com/giogetmoneyTV/status/1165016104529534977
:yikes:

Holy poo poo that dude........

Like I knew he was special when he was tweeting he was "taking down" Forbes......but he literally WILL NOT SHUT UP, I like jumping on twitter to check server stats for < Insert actual real game > and not having 20 notifications.

Further, he's literally mentally challenged. He starts in with @ing me going "YOU GONNA ACT LIKE NO ONE KNOW ME, U KNEW ME BRUH" and linking a Discord convo of him begging me to let him on one of my streams so he can "school" Derek Smart. Like legit begging. Someone else from the channel asked me to talk to him and after putting it off for a few hours I finally PMed him, did a handful of nervous awkward "yeah man that would be cool" and then never talked to him again for 2 years.

How is that your crowning moment of glory? Like if you were going to die tomorrow and had to meet up with ol St Petey, would you go "Yo man, I almost was on FTR's channel, I'm pretty huge"? Because after laughing at him for acting like anyone knows who he is, that was his come back. After also linking my socialblade going "Pffff, less than 7000 subs" .....ummm, okay Gio, you might wanna plug your own socialblade in...

"OH poo poo BITCH, I dont care about that poo poo, I have a real job, Im making mad money" Alright retard boy, show me where I've ever said YouTube is my source of income. I'd be lucky to rent out a cardboard box in hoboalley if that was the case. I don't make videos for the dank YT cash, I make them because I know they'll get way more views than yours or DaGaimez, and frankly a large majority of dedicated Star Citizen streamers, which means I can turn more people away from this train wreck than you can sucker into it.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

FailureToReport posted:

Holy poo poo that dude........

Like I knew he was special when he was tweeting he was "taking down" Forbes......but he literally WILL NOT SHUT UP, I like jumping on twitter to check server stats for < Insert actual real game > and not having 20 notifications.

Further, he's literally mentally challenged. He starts in with @ing me going "YOU GONNA ACT LIKE NO ONE KNOW ME, U KNEW ME BRUH" and linking a Discord convo of him begging me to let him on one of my streams so he can "school" Derek Smart. Like legit begging. Someone else from the channel asked me to talk to him and after putting it off for a few hours I finally PMed him, did a handful of nervous awkward "yeah man that would be cool" and then never talked to him again for 2 years.

How is that your crowning moment of glory? Like if you were going to die tomorrow and had to meet up with ol St Petey, would you go "Yo man, I almost was on FTR's channel, I'm pretty huge"? Because after laughing at him for acting like anyone knows who he is, that was his come back. After also linking my socialblade going "Pffff, less than 7000 subs" .....ummm, okay Gio, you might wanna plug your own socialblade in...

"OH poo poo BITCH, I dont care about that poo poo, I have a real job, Im making mad money" Alright retard boy, show me where I've ever said YouTube is my source of income. I'd be lucky to rent out a cardboard box in hoboalley if that was the case. I don't make videos for the dank YT cash, I make them because I know they'll get way more views than yours or DaGaimez, and frankly a large majority of dedicated Star Citizen streamers, which means I can turn more people away from this train wreck than you can sucker into it.

Nice beltdown

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
This is some serious YouTube idiot drama.

I'm enthralled.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I would just like to know what the catered meal was. Ten dollar rubber chicken?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Colostomy Bag posted:

I would just like to know what the catered meal was. Ten dollar rubber chicken?

a strangled scream and a glass of despair.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Hazamuth posted:

Too bad you can't see the belt. That would be a surefire way to know

So, MoMa knows about belts. After he talked about the ratcheting belt thing he was a Kickstarter of I looked into slide/ratchet belts and I have to say they are the best. I will never buy a different type of belt ever again. So all things considered I owe MoMa a thanks!

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Just fly over or under or around the mines how the gently caress are mines supposed to do area denial in 3 loving dimensions over space-scale distances unless you're making GBS threads out literally millions of them from your Death Star sized space mine factory

Oh god they're going to sell a Death Star sized space mine factory next aren't they

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Next ship is a minesweeper, obviously.

Or two actually, since there are two different mines that needs to be cleared by specialized equipment.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Kosumo posted:

This is one thing that really fucks me off about these people, how disrespectful they are.

Take your loving sun glasses off inside .... Double so for Sandi back when she was on one of those weekly shows ... Sitting there eating food with sun glasses on - really loving disrespectful, and tells you alot about them.

Pet peeve.

/Rant over.

I dunno, I think Brian Chambers should be wearing sunglasses constantly. That thousand-yard stare triples in sadness every second, and at some point it's going to be full of enough despair that even the backers will be able to read "This is never going to work" in there.

Hell, maybe he should be wearing a full welder's mask at this point. A small sacrifice to keep the Dream alive.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

Quavers posted:

$1000 minimum spend

$275 ticket

This is Star Citizen.

rePool
Apr 18, 2019

Undercover Goon.

So long and thanks for all the fish

Lowest voted for ship concept and they went for it. lol

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
to all concierge backers out there:
you should feel deeply ashamed if you do not own that mine-layer-ship.
dont fall behind with your fleet, pay the price to be cutting edge.
do not become weak.
you shall march on, through troubled waters, towards a golden future.
by pledging for the dream to come true you can silence the naysayers, critics and fudstergoons.
it is your duty to buy this ship.
you owe it to chris.

edit: i remember when we were laughing about the invitation to this “special event“ in this thread. it was hilarious, because the invitation did not mention that it would be another ship sale lol. it went something like “we will have a very special surprise for you!“

backers were like: “ahhhh i finally get my space waifu.“
chris is like: “no you get a jpeg and i get another 650$ from you mr rear admiral!“

BumbleOne fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 24, 2019

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Quavers posted:

$1000 minimum spend

$275 ticket

lmfao how the gently caress is star citizen real

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Quavers posted:

$1000 minimum spend

$275 ticket

It's just an authentic mess hall experience. A true concierge appreciates the value of experiencing the artists' vision firsthand. Plus, who doesn't love some procedural eggs at dinnertime?

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/Camural_FFM/status/1165383118175576064

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/out4space/status/1165370646882377728

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/listening2day/status/1165332891494043648

Good thing you bought the ships ahead of time.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Having a pretty hard time fathoming an event with dozens of people where chris roberts was the most well dressed, confident, and together person in attendance, but here we are

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

So I've been meaning to write this for a while now, but haven't had the time, nor really the feeling for writing it. This is going to be somewhat long and rambling, so sorry in advance.

The year was 2012, I had just finished my compulsory civil service (choice being that or conscription (or jail)) and enrolled in
a university of applied sciences with the aim of getting a computer science degree out of it. Roughly then, nearing the end of the year, Star Citizen was first revealed and it was the first time in a while I had seen Chris Roberts. Years before I had enjoyed Freelancer for what it was: an arcadey space game where you could fly around, shoot stuff, trade and progress through a selection of ships. I had never really been hyped about the game but stumbled on in a local game magazine. What Roberts was selling back then was to my mind a spiritual sequel to Freelancer which I was initially very happy about. Recent years hadn't really been that good for the whole space sim genre, so was giddy about the idea of a possible rejuvenation. Trends come and go in circles after all.

There was only one snag and a big one at that. I was very, very wary even at that time of Kickstarter. I have never Kickstarted anything, but did end up buying Planetary Annihilation later on through other avenues when it came out ( was disappointed, still am ). So in the end I did not put any money towards kickstarting Star Citizen, my reasoning being that it would fund itself and I would buy the final product when it is finished. Star Citizen very quickly funded itself ( or what it was supposed to be back then ), so I just reasoned that I should just wait.

During the coming years I completed more and more courses in applied uni and wondered what I actually wanted to do with my life. After the first year you get to specialize in something. There were four disciplines but for my story only two of them are worth explaining: game production and medical data. Originally I veered towards medical data, seeing that it was going to pay very well and I was promised many good things about the quality of upcoming specialization. Now we have to go on a little tangent before we can continue.

Gaming has been one of my (if not the) favorite hobbies since I was very young, my first game being NES Mario Bros 1 when I was three years old. When I was 5, we got a pentium with win 95 and internet. Dad had an engineering buddy that set up the system and gave us some downloaded games with it. Stuff like Descent 1, Summer & Winter Games, some version of flight simulator. Probably many others too, but I fail to remember them now. Back then we lived on a farm no other families with children living near so I got used to getting my entertainment by playing with both consoles and PC from early on. Slowly during the years I gravitated more towards PC as my main platform as it was more versatile, I had more control over my setup and the games were more interesting to me. The possibility of getting stuff completely free form the internet was also pretty big in my young mind. Well anyhow, that is the tangent I warned you about before. It is a cliff notes version, but gets the job done.

So the main reason I chose medical data over game production in school was because I was really, really unsure about my skills back then and whether I wanted to transform a hobby into a career. I stuck with medical data and later on I found that I had been lied to about the discipline.

In the meantime Star Citizen had exploded. The funding was going *extremely well* and it was starting to become very excessive. As you might remember, I mentioned earlier that I have always been very wary of kickstarting anything. By now one had the possibility of buying ships (well, pictures of ships) and thus contributing to development of the game. The scope of the game with all the pledge goals was starting to really balloon. I can't really remember exactly what my reaction to this back then was. One thing I *do* remember was that around the same time Bitcoin had started to gain global traction and now you could preorder space ships for a game that did not exist. I have been a fan of Cyberpunk for the longest and this was starting to remind me of some really dystopian poo poo that the genre contains. Of course there was also a contender for the space sim throne, a new game in development by one David Braben.

So while all this happened, I had huge personal problems. School sucked rear end as the whole medical data discipline was extremely poorly thought out and executed. Courses upon courses of stuff that doesn't matter, of stuff that makes no sense. I was not the only in my class to notice this, nor the only one to be demoralized. To put it bluntly, it dawned on me that I had made a huge mistake ( In my best Gob voice). To make matters worse, I had a huge breakup and ended up retreating into a shell of depression for a year or so. I didn't really see anyone at all and I spent my days in a haze, disillusioned about my discipline and life at large. It was the end of the year 2013.

By this time CIG had released the hangar module E:D would release their test version during the end of the year. I was musing at the time at few separate discussion channels for games, that it seems like that Roberts and Braben are opting for different development strategies: Braben is going to release somewhat quickly, then build upon that base game later on, while Roberts would opt for a strategy where they build a number of different modules that they then connect somehow. Braben would have a more traditional approach with the Roberts approach being more novel and possibly quite difficult to execute. Star Citizen still kept generating money and E:D development was going along, so I waited yet again, to see which one would be ready first.

During 2014 I made some big changes in my life. I got back together with my girlfriend that I had broken up with and decided that gently caress it, I want to change my discipline to game production. Even though I might not get that much money, I would at least do something I enjoy. The school approved the change after a few hoops ( had to make some projects and demo's of my own) and I got to study video games in depth. Few months after Arena Commander had released, me and my girlfriend moved in together to a nice spacious apartment and we got engaged a few months after that. I got my head back in the game (heh) and finished by Bachelor's degree in June 2017, doing my thesis about how 3D production in VR differs from normal ( tl;dr: not very much).

During all this E:D had released and I had played it with my friends somewhat. I felt it was very cool in theory, but ultimately too hollow for my tastes. After roughly 40 hours I called it quits although my friend ended up making billions and buying most the ships. He found it very engaging. During all this though, Star Citizen had still not released. I had also completely forgotten about it.

I had ended up working in the same company I did my thesis in. It was start up life as usual with little to no money but big ambitions. It lasted for a year, but because of irreconcilable differences we parted ways and I changed companies. I ended up in another startup that did AR instead of VR and did some work there for over half a year before being laid off due to monetary issues.

Roughly at this time I had found this thread while browsing through the forums and remembered that hey, that goddamn Star Citizen still ain't out. I did my due diligence and read all I could on these forums about the developmental shitpile that is Star Citizen. The whole experience really was eye opening and I have read the thread closely since, as I find the whole phenomenon absolutely engaging and hilarious at the same time. The memes and the continuous failure to ship the drat game(s) is just too goddamn funny. I rarely contribute but I have really, really enjoyed reading this thread and all the posters within.

After being laid off from my last company I ended up in a normal game company. I worked 10 months as a level designer on a game that got a full release after a 6 month early access period. It didn't sell like hotcakes, but I am still extremely proud of it as it is the first actually released product I have worked with. My company is now seeking funding for our next project and the discussions are going well. Nothing definitive yet, but I am hopeful about the future. I also turned thirty few months ago and got married to my girlfriend roughly a month ago. Life looks really sweet right now.

So after ~7 years of going through all kinds of hoops I have managed to find my place in this world, grow adult and feel good about my personal life and the work I do while also releasing an actual video game.

Star Citizen still ain't out.

ps. I won't name any names because I don't really feel about doing it. One can pretty easily find those out themselves if they really want to, but they don't really add anything but flourish to the story and I would prefer nothing be named in the thread.

Hazamuth fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:negative:

Quavers fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 24, 2019