Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Medieval 2 Cav still the best Cav. Deadly charge, don't get bogged down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Arcsquad12 posted:

Medieval 2 Cav still the best Cav. Deadly charge, don't get bogged down.
Lose your King to charging a group of Peasants.

A Noble Death....

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Does anyone have that gif of a general/king charging into a group of javelin troops and they all wheel around and throw like 80 into him, killing him instantly? I've googled it so many times looking for a laugh with no luck.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Are there any mods removing confederating that are confirmed to work with current version? I'm thinking of a new game with that. I think it'd be more fun to keep smaller factions around and make the rear end in a top hat AI actually work for its megafactions. (looking at you dorfs, and that little poo poo elf on the island)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They really toned down warplock Jezzails didn't they? You can't kill a lord from across the map anymore.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So with Jezzails not being the army murderers they used to be I'm experimenting. Still don't care for the hellpit abomination, but death runners are hilarious. I've got a gimmick army with a swarm of ninja rats running around as fast as horses. They can't stand and fight but whatever they hit they loving destroy.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
In Luckys Overhaul Jezzails are decent, they have Shieldbreaker and like Dwarf Thunderers you can crank their dps up to obscene levels. Skryre's lab mechanic also gives them more upgrades and items. They can definitely pick off a hero out in the open and are useful to finish off fleeing lords. Rattling Gunners work well in conjuction with them as they get an on contact slowing effect (suppression). Basically your battle line should look like a bunch of green lazer bolts whizzing all over the place.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Decrepus posted:

Does anyone have that gif of a general/king charging into a group of javelin troops and they all wheel around and throw like 80 into him, killing him instantly? I've googled it so many times looking for a laugh with no luck.

Man, the goldmine of crazy Total War gifs is bottomless.

Like this: https://gfycat.com/webbedlightfrillneckedlizard

or this:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
I've recently tried out Norsca in Luckys Overhaul and it's probably one of the more boring factions to play in the Overhaul, because unlike Greenskins or Empire you don't get any new units or campaign mechanics. In fact if anything it's HARDER because LO has a ton of units with a lot of physical resist which makes magic attacks a lot more important. Norsca has a good amount of regenerating units but fire wizards will wreck your poo poo.

And like the stock game, Norsca has some weaknesses that bleed through. They are a 'semi nomadic' faction which is the worst of both worlds in my opinion. Their settlements are unwalled and cash poor, they need more time for global recruitment, and don't have special mechanics to boost replenishment.

Their monster units are fun but their growth is slow because they don't get provincial commandments so it can take a good while to build the necessary buildings. Their coastal settlement mechanic is more of a handicap when everyone can potentially settle anywhere,and razing to build up allegiance just means some ruin dweller faction is going to snap all of them up (skaven are notorious for this, it's not unusual for Tretch or Ikit to have like 40+ settlements under their belt and skaven are tedious to fight against in LO.

It feels like Vampire Coast does everything they do but better. They can build proper walled settlements, have a good balance of magic, guns, and monsters, can function as a 'horde' via pirate ships, and so on.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
I know there had been talk about Norsca getting overhauled, but can’t remember if it was just speculation/rumor or confirmed. I know the idea was that since WH3 was supposed to have more chaos focus the current chaos factions would get reworked.

hhhmmm
Jan 1, 2006
...?

Panfilo posted:

Their monster units are fun but their growth is slow because they don't get provincial commandments so it can take a good while to build the necessary buildings. Their coastal settlement mechanic is more of a handicap when everyone can potentially settle anywhere,and razing to build up allegiance just means some ruin dweller faction is going to snap all of them up (skaven are notorious for this, it's not unusual for Tretch or Ikit to have like 40+ settlements under their belt and skaven are tedious to fight against in LO.

It feels like Vampire Coast does everything they do but better. They can build proper walled settlements, have a good balance of magic, guns, and monsters, can function as a 'horde' via pirate ships, and so on.

Wood elves can do sacking because they get maximum value.
Chaos can do razing because they actually get replenishment when they succeed.

For all the other factions that are supposed to be destructive..You cant just go around sacking things. If you want any kind of ok replenishment you need to ocupy that settlement.

The way replenishment works favors occupying territory in such a massive way.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Vampire Coast is just too good, and no matter how hard I try other races I just end up back with Vampirates.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

hhhmmm posted:

Wood elves can do sacking because they get maximum value.
Chaos can do razing because they actually get replenishment when they succeed.

For all the other factions that are supposed to be destructive..You cant just go around sacking things. If you want any kind of ok replenishment you need to ocupy that settlement.

The way replenishment works favors occupying territory in such a massive way.
Norsca can raid+encamp so they can replenish and raid at the same time, but it requires you only move 50% of your movement...

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
Would be kind of cool to give Norsca something akin to black arks. Maybe if I get the time to get into modding I’ll make some kinda raiding fleet thing with that functionality.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Enigma posted:

Vampire Coast is just too good, and no matter how hard I try other races I just end up back with Vampirates.

Agreed. They have the best of all the campaign mechanics. You can go horde or you can paint the map and both are valid. You can raise up an army extremely quickly, but don't need to build tall like conventional vampire counts. I think Skaven are a close second with a comparable roster and the ability to colonize settlements at higher tiers which saves tons of time and money.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Norsca can raid+encamp so they can replenish and raid at the same time, but it requires you only move 50% of your movement...
Noracas gimmick seems to be raiding, since they get a lot of stacking bonuses to it,can adopt raid stance after full movement or raiding camp for raiding+replenishment.

But since you're dependent on replenishment and recruitment is slow, this is often not enough on harder difficulties.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think they should alter the conditions for colonizing razed provinces. That's one way that Warhammer 1 is better than 2; razed settlements stay razed for a long time. Being able to colonize everywhere is better for the game overall, but it feels a bit too easy to resettle a razed region, so it makes playing factions focused on destroying territory feel really grindy. Perhaps there should be a cooldown timer after a settlement is razed before another faction can colonize it, or maybe there should be steeper prices to colonize regions with unpleasant or hostile climates to your faction. Just do something to make a razed region more impactful.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Are there any mods that implement wh1 style settlement restrictions?

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

After almost 100 hours of gameplay, I've gotten pretty good with Dwarfs, and really bad with every other race! Playing so much defensive Dawi with their lovely ranged options and nigh unbreakable line troops has really spoiled me and I can't quite get the hang of anybody else again.

I guess I should try Orcs to unlearn the bad habits.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Hungry posted:

After almost 100 hours of gameplay, I've gotten pretty good with Dwarfs, and really bad with every other race! Playing so much defensive Dawi with their lovely ranged options and nigh unbreakable line troops has really spoiled me and I can't quite get the hang of anybody else again.

I guess I should try Orcs to unlearn the bad habits.

Go Skaven, you've still got a gunline except your Front line is made of nothing but prayers and traitors.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Either Skaven or Empire would be a good next step because you keep the guns/artillery but the roster makes you branch out into other things, like monsters, cavalry, and spellcasters. Vampire Coast would be good for this too actually.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

I too remember suffering from Napoleonic Dawi withdraw, but there are lots of options now if you want to branch out but still have something familiar to hang on.

Personally I'd recommend High Elves, Skaven or Vampire Coast. All three have super killy ranged options, with tons of ways to buff them. Skaven and VC infantry is pretty uh, serviceable I guess but irrelevant if everything is dead before it reaches them. High Elves though have really good line infantry options, non-existent artillery choices, but you can play that unbreakable frontline backed by volleys of AP death at nearly 200 range. All three also set themselves apart from the Dwarfs by offering magic options, cavalry, flyers and monstrous creatures.

The Empire is a cautious recommend, their campaign is a bit dated and they still suffer from weird tiering of units and building requirements. Your bread and butter Great Cannons, are Tier 4 for some inexplicable reason, there isn't an engineer hero to bolster your powder and you lack that high armor, shielded infantry to hold the line. Halberds can do an ok job but expect to be replenishing and re-recruiting frequently.

Just to be clear I'm not saying the Empire is weak, but if you want a similar experience to Dwarfs it's harder to find in the Empire.

99pct of germs fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Aug 24, 2019

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
I have to admit I kind of actually like reaper and eagleclaw bolt throwers. I get other factions have better artillery options, but it’s fun being able to accurately snipe poo poo while easily switching between mow-down-groups-of-fuckers and impale-those-giant-monster-assholes.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, High Elves artillery is pretty good overall. Its certainly not trash tier like Brettonians or Tomb Kings.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Zore posted:

Yeah, High Elves artillery is pretty good overall. Its certainly not trash tier like Brettonians or Tomb Kings.

Are you calling bone giants and great bows trash?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Plagueclaws are devastating holy poo poo. Gobbo Rock Lobbas need to hammer things over time but I've seen a plagueclaw take a unit down to half health with one volley.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Senior Dog posted:

Are you calling bone giants and great bows trash?

Screaming Skull catapults and whatever the mounds that shoot ghosts are called.

I don't mentally think of Ushabi Great Bows and Bone Giants as artillery but they're good yeah.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
When transitioning from Dwarf type static defensive play to more agressive styles, it helps explore the things Dwarves are weak in.

Like even T1 dogs can rack up hundreds of kills if you are opportunistic. While Dwarves are fun and easy to use, progressively more shooty and long ranged armies can give them problems since they're so slow and tend to be clumped up. In contrast, skaven can use dwellers below to immediately shut down enemy artillery. Skirmishes in general are pretty low maintenance in harassing units. Even weak flyers like harpies or bats can shut down ranged units on walls long enough.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Plagueclaws are good because they have an on contact leadership reduction which stacks with the ld penalty for getting hit by artillery. And if you can nail multiple units you can get a lot of them to rout under the right circumstances. I think screaming skull catapults are similar.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Zore posted:

I don't mentally think of Ushabi Great Bows and Bone Giants as artillery but they're good yeah.

The Casket of Souls is actually great though. It likes to be closer to the front line than you expect from its range.

Also it buffs your winds of magic for landing sweet nets to subsequently Banish/Pit/Purple Sun/murder with giant bows.

The Screaming Skelepult sadly sucks, it's true.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Zore posted:

Oh right. I actually forgot screaming skull catapults exist

fe: I am also a fan of the casket, but see how it's not everyone's cup o' tea

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

How would people feel about a Sane Turn Times world map like this? Maybe chuck in some elves, norscans, and a lizard in boat-based factions? Imagine shamelessly stolen from total war forums.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 24, 2019

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

I haven't tried Skaven since before they added Undercities, so that looks like a lot of fun now.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

How would people feel about a Sane Turn Times world map like this? Maybe chuck in some elves, norscans, and a lizard in boat-based factions? Imagine shamelessly stolen from total war forums.

I'll take it, but ideally I'd get to be the savage orc dudes in columbia and the badlands get removed from the map

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I would be all for anything with sane turn times and all the races.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Panfilo posted:

Like even T1 dogs can rack up hundreds of kills if you are opportunistic.

I did not properly appreciate dogs in this game until I did a co-op campaign and we gifted each other flanking units to manage.

Micromanaged dogs can absolutely be murder machines.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

have an invading norsca faction in bretonnia and one in the old world, and yah, I'd be fine for it

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Or hell, have them come from off map

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Or this

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl

Warhammer version of the tank man at tiananmen square

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Kalessin ofSelidor posted:

Warhammer version of the tank man at tiananmen square

Good job using your eyes.