Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Veskit posted:

He had some pretty telling stories on this podcast like how he was a literal sociopath but here’s one

https://youtu.be/gKXwnaNxvgE

yeah, the stories about his dad explains alot. david is cool guy even if he can be an rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickfigure
Sep 4, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Lol his dad rules

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I cant remember which ep, but he was talking about an alcoholic dad in a pod and said something to the effect of "awful for the kid because he never knows which dad is coming back to the house". Not sure if he intended it but it was pretty revealing that he had some personal insight into it

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Think his dad passed away in the last week or two.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Today's episode is good

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
can a mod change the thread icon to the falconry tag

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

terrorist ambulance posted:

I cant remember which ep, but he was talking about an alcoholic dad in a pod and said something to the effect of "awful for the kid because he never knows which dad is coming back to the house". Not sure if he intended it but it was pretty revealing that he had some personal insight into it

yeah. like i just feel bad for dave. he had a horrible childhood and he is clearly trying to come to terms with stuff and take his anger out through politics, the problem is he is thin skinned as gently caress and it causes him to lash out hard. sad. i think he is probably really good guy.

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

Pips the falcon.

"Get fuckin' hammered, take Pips up to the mountain. let that bitch fly."

Today's the day i get on your back and ride you like Falcor!

LOL

Also liked the reference to Dalton being like the bagel boss guy.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. like i just feel bad for dave. he had a horrible childhood and he is clearly trying to come to terms with stuff and take his anger out through politics, the problem is he is thin skinned as gently caress and it causes him to lash out hard. sad. i think he is probably really good guy.

I tweeted something once to the tune of "My favourite part of the Dollop is seeing Dave Anthony get slowly radicalized" and he responded with "Nah dude, I've always been left as gently caress, the rest of the country is just catching up me now."

Made me smile.

In a very on-topic move, he has since deleted that response for no good reason.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

I saw this episode live. It owned.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Betraying the CIA is actually cool and good.

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

MonsieurChoc posted:

Betraying the CIA is actually cool and good.

falconry is also cool and good

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
The Falcon and the Snowman is a really good movie about the whole Christopher Boyce affair that is probably only well-known today for spawning a lesser-known David Bowie song. It's really good about tracing a gradual, plausible path for the two guys and it's the only time I've ever really liked Sean Penn in a movie.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

RDG doesn't have the falconry tag but me and Junpei are working on a solution, stay posted.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
There’s so much to unpack I don’t know where to begin.

Great ending though

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
That has been probably my favorite episode in a long rear end time. It was what I love about the podcast, weird and unique stories that you don't know anything about.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Not Operator posted:

I tweeted something once to the tune of "My favourite part of the Dollop is seeing Dave Anthony get slowly radicalized" and he responded with "Nah dude, I've always been left as gently caress, the rest of the country is just catching up me now."

Made me smile.

In a very on-topic move, he has since deleted that response for no good reason.

cool. and i am sure its true, hell him and this site have slowly radicalized the poo poo out of me.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Rochallor posted:

The Falcon and the Snowman is a really good movie about the whole Christopher Boyce affair that is probably only well-known today for spawning a lesser-known David Bowie song.

Also notable for being the film running on HBO during the Captain Midnight incident.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

JethroMcB posted:

Also notable for being the film running on HBO during the Captain Midnight incident.

In fairness to that guy, that's an insane price for HBO, that's $30 a month in today's money.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

nine-gear crow posted:

RDG doesn't have the falconry tag but me and Junpei are working on a solution, stay posted.

thank you mods

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

It was a worthy cause

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

:tipshat:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The latest Dollop England dropped, it starts off with Dave acknowledging that there were hiccups with the second podcast feed. It ends with a song about a bird!

http://dollopengland.libsyn.com/2-cyril-the-swan

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

RandomPauI posted:

The latest Dollop England dropped, it starts off with Dave acknowledging that there were hiccups with the second podcast feed. It ends with a song about a bird!

http://dollopengland.libsyn.com/2-cyril-the-swan

For everyone who's ever said "man I wish the Dollop could get back to strange stories about, like, jetpacks and baseball players and stuff" this is absolutely the episode for you.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

had
has

poetry

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

Call the cops! There's a madman out there eating a goddamned hamburger in his car!

Drop the hamburger!
You drop the hamburger!

It's an American standoff.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Bird Week on the Dollop is strong.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

head58 posted:

Bird Week on the Dollop is strong.

Yeah, I listened to Cyril followed by the Falcon and it was an excellent double feature.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

My Shoes posted:

It's an American standoff.
After listening to the episode it was clear that joke went over 99% of the audience's heads

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I love the show but it's obvious they plagiarize without citing sources like a motherfucker and have for years. Some journalist, again, called Dave out and he did the same old "I'm not a journalist I'm still growing" thing he did 3 years ago when this came up.

https://twitter.com/josh_levin/status/1165615202504728582

edit: sorry I can't find Dave's response right now, dammit. I thought he had posted it to their subreddit but I can't find it. Someone had posted a screenshot and I can't find that either.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

This is kinda cool if it’s a topic you feel like reading about, 3.99 is good

https://twitter.com/josh_levin/status/1165615212516532224?s=21

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
drat thats crazy because I listened to the Queen in May and then listened to the Dollop episode and was like "Oh man both of these are interesting!"

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
This plagiarism deal bugs me. I remember there being an issue with him not citing sources a while back, but was that the only problem then?

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
The big one was that there were a couple were Dave flagrantly just read an existing article. I think The Three Jesuses was the worst where the writer put the transcript and article side-by-side with highlighting to make it clear. And it was a bigger deal since drat Interesting did their own struggling podcast where someone read their articles, so it wasn't like Dave was doing them a service.

Mostly it's just insane that Dave doesn't just loving pay a researcher or reach out to pay the authors. They've got the budget for it. Or just do what Last Podcast on the Left do and advertise the book heavily in cases like this. Leave out a few anecdotes and the author's usually happy to see the boost.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
yeah I don't know why he doesn't just say at the outset "this is based heavily on X book by Y guy, it's really good, find it online, linked in the description". they'd literally sell a couple thousand books off that and I'm sure would just be happy for the advertisement of what amounts to a live read by a comic.

even without knowing about the existence of another article or book, it's clear from the way some eps are read / the content that he's cribbing heavily from something else, I don't know why he's so reticent to acknowledge that

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Plus when Last Podcast plugs a book it almost always comes with wonderful stories of Henry harassing his wife with things he read from it or how his crazy brain is creating brand new anxieties from it and all. Plug the book or article, it's easy to even turn it into content sometimes, it's literally win-win.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
It's hard to top the binge listening experience of hearing Henry legitimately tank a relationship over about 2 months because he just had to keep waking her up to talk about UFO books.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I forgot about Dave's defense of "you can't copyright historical facts." That's so laughable. I always suspected that the more recent episodes were recycling about as much content as the ones that got pulled, and that they would have multiple sources cited to deflect plagiarism claims.

There was another really flagrant example from a couple years ago when they did the episode about hippo meat. There was a Wired article that had the exact same parallel of trying to bring hippos to the US and the story of the rival mercenaries.

https://www.wired.com/2013/12/hippopotamus-ranching/

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I mean they do have paid researchers and they do cite everything soooooo....??? Seems like pretty old news

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

terrorist ambulance posted:

yeah I don't know why he doesn't just say at the outset "this is based heavily on X book by Y guy, it's really good, find it online, linked in the description". they'd literally sell a couple thousand books off that and I'm sure would just be happy for the advertisement of what amounts to a live read by a comic.

even without knowing about the existence of another article or book, it's clear from the way some eps are read / the content that he's cribbing heavily from something else, I don't know why he's so reticent to acknowledge that

probably because he's been putting links to all the sources in the descriptions for the better part of 4 or 5 years now and apparently people can't read