Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Looks like the WireFu Spirit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Cuntellectual posted:

jokes aside stop releasing stupid heroes like this valve, where's my fourth spirit bro???

was hoping they’d release that swole elemental from artifact.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Groovelord Neato posted:

was hoping they’d release that swole elemental from artifact.

not a single artifact hero is going to be ported to dota 2

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

not a single artifact hero is going to be ported to dota 2

yeah unfortunately we’re stuck with Pixar bullshit from here on out.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
"jesus stop complaining here's your drat fourth spirit"

thanks volvo

Groovelord Neato posted:

RIP Sorla Khan.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah I'm all for goofy poo poo, but the 'cutesy' thing with Snapfire's dragon, or Pango and Willow is so lame. I miss the original pseudo polynesian vibe they had going with characters like Juggernaut, Bloodseeker and Sven. That was way more interesting.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Bring back Bloodline Champions hero designs.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Cuntellectual posted:

Yeah I'm all for goofy poo poo, but the 'cutesy' thing with Snapfire's dragon, or Pango and Willow is so lame. I miss the original pseudo polynesian vibe they had going with characters like Juggernaut, Bloodseeker and Sven. That was way more interesting.

obviously riot's art is much worse but it's pretty much their level of character design now.

really hosed up not making this the new spirit the purp one looks lame:

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Muscle spirit

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Cuntellectual posted:

The original lead artist who used to work on Dota isn't there anymore so that's the biggest reason for the change. His concept art is the one that got used on almost every single hero. Otherwise, yeah, Snapfire looks exactly like the How To Train Your Dragon thing, I don't need every hero to be super serious but the recent designs have been really bad.

hahayup
Sep 14, 2007

thick lush back hair. someone get me a pony.
Yeah Snapfire is very Pixar, I was surprised as a new player to the game seeing this and the other newish character, the invoker child Chucky looking character. Doesn't align at all with the look of many of the other heroes.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

God the kid invoker looks SO bad

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
kid invoker is a grotesque affront to god and whenever i see dumb poo poo like it in the game i remember how ursa wasn't allowed to have a cowboy hat

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Marin Karin posted:

kid invoker is a grotesque affront to god and whenever i see dumb poo poo like it in the game i remember how ursa wasn't allowed to have a cowboy hat

Honestly looking at any of the news sets beside the Ursa cowboy hat should tell you everything you ever need to know about what introducing cosmetics will eventually lead to. Things will start off mild until it turns into a nuclear arms race of making the biggest most glowing screen-covering poo poo they can possibly muster

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Marin Karin posted:

lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
gents, its dota. its fine if it looks like dog poo poo bodged together from 20 different video game sprites and rpgmaker 2000 default assets. thats the true spirit of dota.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
haev uf orgotten that half the items are cribbed fromm phantasy star online and the heroes are half anime, half devioant art fanfiction?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

My favorite Dota asset is the Battlepass chat wheel "Aaaaaagh!" which is the same stock sound effect as the loss sound from Bop-It

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

My favorite Dota asset is the Battlepass chat wheel "Aaaaaagh!" is is the same stock sound effect as the loss sound from Bop-It

lol

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Honestly looking at any of the news sets beside the Ursa cowboy hat should tell you everything you ever need to know about what introducing cosmetics will eventually lead to. Things will start off mild until it turns into a nuclear arms race of making the biggest most glowing screen-covering poo poo they can possibly muster
We already have the Earthshaker arcana which makes him look like Spirit Breaker and the blue DK set that looks sort of like a fatter PA.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

source:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR36ajU-A_o&t=18s

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot
iuts called a wilhelm scream. google it, dumbass

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Back when the map was 20% larger.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
im just glad the rubick arcana at least kept to the same color scheme instead of "lets make it swirly blue"

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Yeah, I am unironically mad about new cosmetics too.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't a poo poo what cosmetics they add and I've never confused a hero for another hero because of cosmetics in an actual game

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
I wonder in the post TI patch how much healing is gonna get nerfed, or if the new heroes will have a skill against teams regenning constantly. Liquid never bought a Spirit Vessel or even an Urn either in their matches against OG

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Spirit Vessel is just too expensive for most heroes to buy, and if you start to lose it becomes absolutely worthless since you need charges for it. Against Alchemist per se, it might stop his regen for a short time, but it doesn't really help your hero survive against his million-second stun, or get through his radiance miss chance, or to stop him from escaping once you've used the Vessel on him. Io it doesn't even really work against because the hero is gonna be so far away slamming your team with orbs.

I think another big fundamental design flaw with Dota is the game's total lack of Break outsdie of like...two heroes, or Silver Edge, which is a terrible item in the current pro meta. The closest thing to a consistent Break ability is Shadow Demon who is, big coincidence, one of the most valued supports in the game, and it's not even a full Break that can disable passives.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Spirit Vessel is just too expensive for most heroes to buy, and if you start to lose it becomes absolutely worthless since you need charges for it. Against Alchemist per se, it might stop his regen for a short time, but it doesn't really help your hero survive against his million-second stun, or get through his radiance miss chance, or to stop him from escaping once you've used the Vessel on him. Io it doesn't even really work against because the hero is gonna be so far away slamming your team with orbs.

I think another big fundamental design flaw with Dota is the game's total lack of Break outsdie of like...two heroes, or Silver Edge, which is a terrible item in the current pro meta. The closest thing to a consistent Break ability is Shadow Demon who is, big coincidence, one of the most valued supports in the game, and it's not even a full Break that can disable passives.

I mean, the bigger issue is that Nyx and Viper just aren't very good in the meta. Also, Break doesn't stop the Wisp Spirits passive.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
The big fall update will probably have new items. I think it would be cool to have something that AoE reduces healing percentage (maybe like how Veil works) so that you can counter mass healing lineups outside of just picking AA.

Underlords had/has a team-wide healing reduction thing as a talent iirc

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
They're gonna buff shadowblade because the item is literally useless

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

The big fall update will probably have new items. I think it would be cool to have something that AoE reduces healing percentage (maybe like how Veil works) so that you can counter mass healing lineups outside of just picking AA.

Underlords had/has a team-wide healing reduction thing as a talent iirc

Honestly you could probably just add healing reduction% to veil and lower the magic damage a little tiny bit and it'd be fine

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Honestly you could probably just add healing reduction% to veil and lower the magic damage a little tiny bit and it'd be fine

please do not buff veil

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Woke us and decided to play some unranked doto today. Had the weirdest matchups filled with people who last played a year ago. Post grand finale DotA urge is real, and so is the trash it brings with it (it's me, I'm the trash).

hahayup
Sep 14, 2007

thick lush back hair. someone get me a pony.
How do you guys link up with people to regularly play with? I just started playing and already finding playing solo unranked is just a mess of people all doing their own thing.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Marin Karin posted:

i call everyone who uses that skin a pedophile and its pretty epic

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I think another big fundamental design flaw with Dota is the game's total lack of Break outsdie of like...two heroes, or Silver Edge, which is a terrible item in the current pro meta.

The problem with Break is being able to have it consistently effectively deletes half the heroes in the game

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

hahayup posted:

How do you guys link up with people to regularly play with? I just started playing and already finding playing solo unranked is just a mess of people all doing their own thing.

I play with coworkers, which is good because I want to quit this job anyway.

Ranked is a way better solo experience right now with ranked roles for all.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the worst part about the newer heroes is not basing them off the unused wc3 models. we need a siege engine hero. we need a sludge hero. we need a hydra hero. we need a gryphon rider hero. we need a raider hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I could get behind a playable siege creep