Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vord
Oct 27, 2007
Part of the problem is my party is like level 32-33 :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Yeah, that's really, really low. I'm kind of amazed you made it through all the Benevodon dungeons and their bosses with those levels. In general, it's best to try and keep up with the levels of the monsters you face though obviously you want to avoid levelling up past level 38 until you get the promotion items you want.

Vord
Oct 27, 2007
Knowing where to throw my stats for the best effect allowed me to punch above my weight reliably till now. Str/int to Reisz for spell coins which I really only used on the God beasts and Str/Spi to Duran for poto oils and his one heal spell which I used frequently. The only time I stopped to grind levels was at the water stone due to everyone being a level short of the first class change.

Also everyone is going light>dark this game.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Erpy posted:

Yeah, but I always found the Poto method to be the most tedious one since you first have to wait for the PotoPoppies to spawn, potentially eating Lucent Beams in the meantime and when you slay them and they drop something, the loot is usually just medical herbs or claws. Compared to the Beholder enemies, whose drop is always a ??? seed and who start popping up right about the time you're around level 38, the Poto method always felt too much of a pain to bother with. Also, they have to be a certain level in order to have a chance to drop the seeds. If you visit Lightgazer's place too early, you won't be able to get the seeds at all.

It's less that the potos won't drop the seeds but that there's a certain level threshold before the ma potos will start spawning them. If you don't have Hawkeye/Riesz as your lead, you won't be able to take advantage of the easy demons, so they're pretty much your only option for most parties.

But yes, gear seeds can always be obtained by killing uncommon enemies in the initial areas of your final dungeon. Night-Blades and Wolf Devils are the ones to look out for in your game. If you have a way to Silence enemies, that's always a good consideration against their Full Screen Party Wipe nonsense, otherwise just save often. Make sure they're the last enemy you kill. You can also make a save state after they die and reload it if it doesn't spawn a chest, then walk in some other direction until you find the RNG that will make one come.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
You might actually want to save just BEFORE those monsters die, since I believe the moment the final blow lands determines whether a chest gets left behind or not, not the brief moment between the monster poofing out of existence and a chest appearing.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

The earlier you save, the more room for error, but you have until the "Victory!/You won!" message vanishes to pre-empt the chest.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

https://twitter.com/RPGSite/status/1155561098730491904

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Well that's an instant pre-order right there.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I figured I'd boot up my old Sword of Mana save file because I've had it on the mind lately... jeebus criminy crackers old teenage me had very little to do with his life huh?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I got so far behind in those little Inn cutscenes that I was getting the one where the heroes ask Poipoi what the sprite village is like waaay after I had already been there, like Northtown or something lol

I stayed at the Inn like 10 times in a row to get caught up. Some of the cutscenes are cute I guess, I’m not sure why there are so many. But it’s cool that the characters have more personality now.

Vord
Oct 27, 2007
Popping back in to thank you all for the advice. I farmed up class change items till level 36 and decided "screw it" and went to punch the last god beast in the face just to see if I could. Turns out: YES I CAN! :black101:

However at the end of it I had used up all my poto oils and Duran's MP and was throwing revives and chocolate at my party just to keep going. Afterwards I farmed the last level and a half needed to get to 38 and class changed before hitting up the dark castle. Six levels and four bosses later I'm on my way to punch a demon king in the face and beat the game.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Alxprit posted:

I figured I'd boot up my old Sword of Mana save file because I've had it on the mind lately... jeebus criminy crackers old teenage me had very little to do with his life huh?

I remember as a kid I decided I wanted to try and get a save file where every single enemy had been upgraded to the black version. (For those that haven't played: killing 999 of an enemy permanently replaced it with a black pallet swap with drastically boosted stats).

I quit 5 enemies in, but still, I put way too much time into that game. It really needed a superboss or something to use all the crazy powergaming against.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Wake me when you unlock the summon that requires connecting with a hundred different Sword of Mana game files.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

sorry, did you say AMIGOS

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Mega64 posted:

Wake me when you unlock the summon that requires connecting with a hundred different Sword of Mana game files.

What the gently caress, I don’t even remember this part of the game

Oh god, it was on gba so that required a link cable :psyduck:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Phantasium posted:

sorry, did you say AMIGOS

Amigos don't let amigos play Sword of Mana.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I think my notebook had like 7 or 8 Black enemies. Mostly ones that I enjoyed training against. You have to have a Black Rabite after all. Plus, since it's an early-game enemy its chests were never trapped so you had the easiest time getting Crystals for Tempering and :shepface:

I never had an amigo. I don't think I'll ever know what that sensation is like.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I had a single one and I can't recall how I ever got it, I know no one at school had the game, and I can't imagine my brother bought it... could you share between save files?

It was funny because it's hard to get just the one but... i think you could summon them? But it would have just the one come out and do like 1 hp of damage or something farcical like that.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Pretty sure the game gives you one amigo so you can share amigos with other people, but I could just be misremembering

Vord
Oct 27, 2007
Gonna drop a link to a full album of Trials remixes as I only just learned of its existence and I know I cant be the only one that wasn't aware of it.

http://sd3.ocremix.org/

Loving this remix of the final boss music
https://soundcloud.com/ocremix/4-09-the-final-sacrifice

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
It took em over 10 years to release that album, but man its worth it.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

They made it way harder to grind levels for Popoi’s magic in SoM remaster, didn’t they? It looks like the spell animations aren’t long enough to be able to cast multiple times on an enemy before it does damage. Very annoying.

At least Primm’s magic is still easy to grind.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Either the rare drop rates are very low or I am very unlucky because I am having a very lovely time grinding the rare drops. I killed like 100+ Doom Swords and a lot of those National Scar book enemies with no drop. Nothing from Basilisks. I am in the Pure Land and got the Griffin Helm and the Dragon Coil from the Ice Thugs, but holy poo poo gently caress those Ghosts. They rarely even drop chests and when they do it’s not the item I want. And they are immune to all physical attacks which is so loving dumb!!!!! Lucent Beam costs 8mp and Primm doesn’t have MP Absorb! This is dumb!

I’m gonna do it anyway but gently caress am I missing anything here?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Not as far as I can tell. I watched Jirard do that part of the remake and it really stalled at farming the Ghosts and most other stuff in the Pure Land.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I managed to get the Pure Land stuff but that’s all of the rare drops I have so far.

I wish the bosses were way tougher. Right now the toughest thing about the Pure Lands is the Griffin Hands which do like 150-200 damage per hit and attack fast and relentlessly.

Edit: can you only get “super casts” of offensive magic? Or rather, do only offensive spells have special lv 8 animations?

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 4, 2019

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I feel like I gained 30 levels trying to farm the Pure Land stuff. I don't know how that compares to the original game because without a chievo or something I just never cared about them unless I happened to get them while going through the area.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
I recall Pure Land always feeling like a pretty huge difficulty shelf for where it shows up in the game. SoM mostly doesn't require that much grinding but I def got wrecked there in a few playthroughs as a kid, and I think the gold/xp rewards there take a similar leap.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

If you don’t buy the equipment from Neko at the Mana Palace before going there you will get murdered.

After my initial round of complaints I got to the Mana Fortress and have had no problems getting rare drops. There’s a save point midway through, right? Because it won’t let me leave with the rope and there doesn’t seem to be a mid-point where I can save. At least not yet. Anyway I got a spear orb and wanna get on that ASAP

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

If you don’t buy the equipment from Neko at the Mana Palace before going there you will get murdered.

This. Definitely learned that the hard way on my most recent playthrough a few years ago. Nako's a bit of a pain in the rear end to get to (I seem to remember having to go around the Mana Fortress with Dryad in it to actually get to him) and the equipment is expensive, but if you don't buy it the Pure Lands will rock you.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

After my initial round of complaints I got to the Mana Fortress and have had no problems getting rare drops. There’s a save point midway through, right? Because it won’t let me leave with the rope and there doesn’t seem to be a mid-point where I can save. At least not yet. Anyway I got a spear orb and wanna get on that ASAP

I don't think there's any saves in the final dungeon, though as long as you don't trigger the fight with Thanatos you can backtrack, leave, and save elsewhere so that the other bosses stay defeated.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Phantasium posted:

I don't think there's any saves in the final dungeon, though as long as you don't trigger the fight with Thanatos you can backtrack, leave, and save elsewhere so that the other bosses stay defeated.

Always thought it was really weird that a ton of the game's items basically only seem to drop in the final segment of the game, and there's no way to save the fact that you actually got them.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

On one hand the remake split the final dungeon into a ton of single area rooms which seems kind of lame, but on the other it auto-saves after every screen transition and makes farming a single enemy much easier.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Apparently this is the 26th anniversary of Secret of Mana and as a celebration (or maybe coincidentally? it doesn't matter) they've put a bunch of Mana songs on Spotify and some other services.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Based on the thumbnails I'm guessing this is the same demo from E3 but there's more footage of people playing the Trials remake floating around.

https://www.siliconera.com/2019/08/22/trials-of-mana-gets-new-battle-and-boss-fight-gameplay-footage-for-gamescom-2019/

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

That SD3 remake looks cool actually but I always thought SD3 was a bit overdesigned with too much poo poo going on

The cheevos for the SoM remake are very frustrating. I missed one ghost enemy in the ice palace and now can't get like 3 of them because of that, unless I start over.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I could get annoyed with those voice lines very quickly if they say them as often as they seem to.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Looks like they only had recorded voices for Duran and Riesz. . . which we should count as a blessing because I dread the day we finally hear fully voiced Charlotte with this script.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I don't think I ever made a party other than Duran, Angela and Charlotte. I felt that any proper JRPG party should have a generic sword guy as the main character, as well as a sexy female spellcaster and a healer, and anything else isn't the real deal.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Shibawanko posted:

I don't think I ever made a party other than Duran, Angela and Charlotte. I felt that any proper JRPG party should have a generic sword guy as the main character, as well as a sexy female spellcaster and a healer, and anything else isn't the real deal.

Duran, Angela and Charlotte is also the closest you can get to the original SoM cast, even though Charlotte and Angela have swapped the caster/healer roles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Shibawanko posted:

You miss out on some very fun characters/combinations though. (as well as an entire final dungeon/final boss route) Riesz is pretty much like Duran, hard-hitting single strikes and fairly high HP and defense, except she gets buffing/debuffing magic (which always works) and a big damage full-screen summon at the end. Kevin's toolset is always pretty limited, but he's the hammer who makes every enemy look like a nail and his damage output easily exceeds Duran's. (Duran has stronger high-level techs/class strikes though) Hawkeye's final classes are the most diverse in the game and you can either make him a dual-hitting semi-mage, a fighter with damage-dealing debuffs or a really whacky support unit. Sometimes it's worth dismissing "realism" in favor of fun.