Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Toofpaste

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLYwU1mi90M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
leaves your platform feeling fresh and minty clean

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
The mint flavor is the secret to squeezing an extra couple degrees of cooling after all!

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

isndl posted:

The mint flavor is the secret to squeezing an extra couple degrees of cooling after all!

Everyone knows when you inhale with a mint in your mouth it feels cooler than usual.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Dramicus posted:

Everyone knows when you inhale with a mint in your mouth it feels cooler than usual.

Menthol Thermal Paste, when your temps aren't as fresh as they could be

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

This is completely wrong. Mayonnaise is not the answer: You need to use a paste that's electrically conductive to reduce resistance in the pins. Doing this will unlock the true overclocking potential of your chip.

Ever since the Athlon T-bird days I've used a clean credit card to apply an even and extremely thin layer of paste on the die/IHS before mounting the heatsink. Seems to have done well for me so far. :shrug:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Fabulousity posted:

This is completely wrong. Mayonnaise is not the answer: You need to use a paste that's electrically conductive to reduce resistance in the pins. Doing this will unlock the true overclocking potential of your chip.

Ever since the Athlon T-bird days I've used a clean credit card to apply an even and extremely thin layer of paste on the die/IHS before mounting the heatsink. Seems to have done well for me so far. :shrug:

A friend and I always did that when we worked at a computer store, but I later realized we were really just using too much. Since then I just put a dot in the middle and smash the heatsink on.

Moly B. Denum
Oct 26, 2007

The tiny dot, line, or x shape have the advantage of squeezing air bubbles out as they expand, which the evenly spread layer won't do.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

There's been plenty of testing done, some of which is even linked up above, and they all say that every method works about as well. GN does all their testing with the thin spread method as they use bulk compound.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
ASUS's BIOS engineer says that AGESA 1.0.0.2 was boosting beyond AMD's comfort zone for long-term reliability and that they haven't heard any discussion of boost clock increases in future AGESA revisions.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 23, 2019

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Moly B. Denum posted:

The tiny dot, line, or x shape have the advantage of squeezing air bubbles out as they expand, which the evenly spread layer won't do.

That's actually a myth. With a proper mounting pressure its impossible to have air bubbles.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Paul MaudDib posted:

ASUS's BIOS engineer says that AGESA 1.0.0.2 was boosting beyond AMD's comfort zone for long-term reliability and that they haven't heard any discussion of boost clock increases in future AGESA revisions.

Sucks that the behavior was beyond AMD's comfort, because it matched what they put on the tin (in my sample of one.)

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

If that's the case, then you wouldn't think the boost behaviour dictated by the AGESA should be what's causing the boost issues people have seen. Hardware Unboxed only had one ASUS board in their testing, but the top 6 boards from that video all had a BIOS/UEFI using 1.0.0.3__ AGESA versions. Maybe something inherent to however the board companies have programmed a given board's specific BIOS? :shrug:

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
That's a bummer about boost clocks if it's true. I feel like mine could easily boost more if they let it. 60 degrees at max load should have plenty of headroom.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
"Hey reviewers, please use only 1.0.0.2 for Benchmarking"

"Please dont use 1.0.0.2 as it runs too close to sun"

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Unfucked Intel chips can't come soon enough.

Beaucoup Haram
Jun 18, 2005

I got all carried away with my build because it was free and used liquid metal. It looks cool at least.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
FINALLY see that 3900X is available for order again (albeit with a September 22 delivery date) on Amazon, go to pull the trigger and... it won't add to my cart or let me click buy it now.

I'm sure that means that it's already out of stock again and for whatever reason the product page just hasn't updated to reflect that yet, but jesus christ I've been trying to buy this goddamn processor for six weeks now, come on

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

surf rock posted:

FINALLY see that 3900X is available for order again (albeit with a September 22 delivery date) on Amazon, go to pull the trigger and... it won't add to my cart or let me click buy it now.

I'm sure that means that it's already out of stock again and for whatever reason the product page just hasn't updated to reflect that yet, but jesus christ I've been trying to buy this goddamn processor for six weeks now, come on

Have you considered that the i9-9900k is faster on real-world apps like Microsoft Powerpoint?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

ItBurns posted:

Have you considered that the i9-9900k is faster on real-world apps like Microsoft Powerpoint?

Well, :actually: that’s only if you don’t overclock your 3900x specifically for PowerPoint performance :smug:

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Unfucked Intel chips can't come soon enough.
14nm+++++++++ is enough transistor for anyone. :colbert: Considering how long they have been stuck on 14nm, I am starting to think Intel should consider AMD's fabless approach. Can TSMC, Samsung or whoever is making chips for literally everyone else invest as much money or more than Intel into process design? With x86 PC sales declining and Apple switching to Arm, about the only good thing I see for Intel is that they hired the silicon valley cowboy Jim Keller, but is he even allowed to touch their x86 designs? Considering Keller worked on the Alpha, the K7, K8 and Zen I think he knows too much about AMD's CPU architecture to be allowed to work on Intel's designs. Or is that not a legal issue?

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

Got my Zen 2 build up and running, trying to get used to Windows 10 for the first time. I found with XMP enabled, I was getting a ton of BSODs, whea unrecoverable error. Was preventing me from doing Windows updates, they were so frequent. Any solutions, besides waiting for either updated motherboard BIOS, or Windows updates? I have an MSI x570-A PRO, updated to the most recent official bios (dated 7/2), I gather they've released newer beta drivers since then, but I don't want to gently caress with those until they're official. Am on Windows 1803, have done all the updates it wants to download, seems to not offer me 1903.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Azuren posted:

Got my Zen 2 build up and running, trying to get used to Windows 10 for the first time. I found with XMP enabled, I was getting a ton of BSODs, whea unrecoverable error. Was preventing me from doing Windows updates, they were so frequent. Any solutions, besides waiting for either updated motherboard BIOS, or Windows updates? I have an MSI x570-A PRO, updated to the most recent official bios (dated 7/2), I gather they've released newer beta drivers since then, but I don't want to gently caress with those until they're official. Am on Windows 1803, have done all the updates it wants to download, seems to not offer me 1903.

Try using the Ryzen RAM calculator and setting your timings manually. It'll also probably have the bonus effect of giving you a better setting for tRFC (the number of cycles spend refreshing memory rows), which can be a pretty significant performance improvement.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Crotch Fruit posted:

14nm+++++++++ is enough transistor for anyone. :colbert: Considering how long they have been stuck on 14nm, I am starting to think Intel should consider AMD's fabless approach. Can TSMC, Samsung or whoever is making chips for literally everyone else invest as much money or more than Intel into process design? With x86 PC sales declining and Apple switching to Arm, about the only good thing I see for Intel is that they hired the silicon valley cowboy Jim Keller, but is he even allowed to touch their x86 designs? Considering Keller worked on the Alpha, the K7, K8 and Zen I think he knows too much about AMD's CPU architecture to be allowed to work on Intel's designs. Or is that not a legal issue?

I want to say that Apple bankrolled the poo poo out of TSMC something to the tune of a trillion dollars so they could manufacture the best mobile processors possible (they stomp snapdragons pretty absurdly)

So yeah, TSMC has more money than Intel to invest into process design

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Any opinions on the ASRock X570 Steel Legend Wifi vs the Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wifi?

Looking at a 3700x based build for photo editing and 4k gaming and I'm having a hard time differentiating the two.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

The Rat posted:

Any opinions on the ASRock X570 Steel Legend Wifi vs the Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wifi?

Looking at a 3700x based build for photo editing and 4k gaming and I'm having a hard time differentiating the two.

I think I might have already said this in the Parts thread, but basically the Aorus Pro just has better VRM and more USB ports (though the Steel Legend has an internal Thunderbolt header that the Aorus lacks). The VRM on either is totally sufficient for a 3700X, so the Aorus' upgrade is only important if you think you might want to run a 16-core 3950X someday, which honestly wouldn't be much of an upgrade for either photo editing or gaming. If the Steel Legend's USB ports are sufficient for you, I'd save the $60.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Thanks, I'll stick with the Steel Legend then!

At this point the last dilemma is the case, since both the Meshify C and S2 with the solid sides don't seem to be stocked by Newegg anymore. Gotta keep it black and devoid of personality like my soul.

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

Azuren posted:

There are some more recent beta BIOSes posted here:
https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=323855.0
Edit:
Links seem a bit busted on that page, so may have to click around the forums to find a working one. The URLs were a bit odd, but apparently safe. I read down through the page, and looks like these might have had some memory speed issues so were pulled.

JBark fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Aug 25, 2019

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Gigabyte x570 bios updates are pretty frequent / up to date, I'm liking gigabyte this time around.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Stickman posted:

I think I might have already said this in the Parts thread, but basically the Aorus Pro just has better VRM and more USB ports (though the Steel Legend has an internal Thunderbolt header that the Aorus lacks). The VRM on either is totally sufficient for a 3700X, so the Aorus' upgrade is only important if you think you might want to run a 16-core 3950X someday, which honestly wouldn't be much of an upgrade for either photo editing or gaming. If the Steel Legend's USB ports are sufficient for you, I'd save the $60.

I’d love to hear more about Thunderbolt with AMD in general if anyone doesn’t mind explicating.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I’d love to hear more about Thunderbolt with AMD in general if anyone doesn’t mind explicating.

Intel opened up the Thunderbolt standard a while back and some X570 boards are integrating it - notably including a mITX board, which are fairly rare and super useful for portable systems with external GPUs.

Were you looking for something more specific/technical than that?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Aug 25, 2019

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Gigabyte x570 bios updates are pretty frequent / up to date, I'm liking gigabyte this time around.

To me the bigger advantage so far is that Gigabytes X570 BIOS's (can't speak for their previous mobo's) have had a better default setting than any of the others. At least as far as initial stability and safe settings (since launch) go. After you get it running you can of course do whatever tweaks you want but getting the system up and running quick n' painless in the first place is pretty important.

I've run into zero issues since day 1 and I'm utterly baffled at many of the issues others seem to be having. Including dealing with things like flashing a modern mobo.... To me so far this has been a far smoother launch than the Ryzen 1 one was. Even when tweaking and overclocking things have been mostly painless except when I pushed the chip or memory to far which is normal for anything involving overclocking so I don't see that as a detriment.

The only thing I don't like with this launch is that AMD oversold the OC-ability and to some extent the clocks of these chips but I'm still mostly happy with it. But then to me almost every thing I've ever dealt with has had some hidden gotcha that took the shine off things so maybe I'm numb to the BS now.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

quote:

I've run into zero issues since day 1

You're using gigabyte?

They push out agesa updates the most frequently for x570.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Aug 25, 2019

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Electric Bugaloo posted:

It looks like for the Steel Legend specifically you need connect the header to an ASRock Thunderbolt 3 PCIe x4 add-in card, which runs $95. So probably not something you'd want to do unless you really need the TB3 port.

ASRock's ITX X570, the Phantom Gaming ITX, actually has a proper integrated TB3 port without the added expense or hassle. It's a little disappointing that they're not integrated into any of the larger boards until you get all the way up to the utterly ridiculous $500 ASRock X570 Creator.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Aug 25, 2019

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

quote:

ASRock's ITX X570,

There's some speculation about the board layout and memory traces here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXwjwxb39EA

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Aug 25, 2019

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

I have the Aorus Pro Wifi. The software is a little bloated for my liking but it's been pretty stable. I've been playing games and there seems to be some instabilty with older game titles but I put that down to Radeon divers and possibly BIOS. The only reason why I got this mobo was it was on special near me and it was priced near the lower tiered Aorus Elite. It made it preferable to get that then buy a wifi card too.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

You're using gigabyte?

They push out agesa updates the most frequently for x570.
Yeah. X570 Master. Even with the stock shipping BIOS everything was fine. Later BIOS's just smoothed out some rough edges with either boot time or overclocking for me.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I feel they're on top of their bios game.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
The Lian Li TU150 reviews have started coming out now and it looks like a very nice case, albeit expensive due to the lack of any fans including in the already high price. It has a USB 3.1 gen 2 type C front port, but which itx boards can make use of it? Is it only X570s, or do any of the B450s have the required hardware?

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Aug 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Thunderbolt 3 becomes USB4, as Intel’s interconnect goes royalty-free

Intel slides, but I can't imagine that AMD's general integration of USB4 will be much different.

At minimum, this will prevent stupid poo poo like eGPUs being forced to run off an x4 connection that's sharing bandwidth with everything that hangs off the PCH, because that first slide is complete bullshit, ain't nobody outside of like, Dell on ONE laptop was hanging TB3 off the CPU itself, it was all off the PCH.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Aug 25, 2019