Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
On the other hand, I'm pretty glad that Bethesda made the fantasy white supremacist/outright fascist faction transparently horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Lt. Lizard posted:

On the other hand, I'm pretty glad that Bethesda made the fantasy white supremacist/outright fascist faction transparently horrible.

I'm torn, because I do like that, but on the other hand if they'd waited a bit longer to reveal it, it might have felt more relevant. As it is I could never go Stormcloak because they are very obviously fuckin Nazis.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
If you don't have a lot of experience with the Elder Scrolls (before playing Skyrim, I didn't!), then the opening sequence powerfully taps into the American pop culture common sense of "empires = evil, plucky underdog rebels = good" and you have no context for a lot of the things NPCs say. It also helps that a lot of early game stuff plays up how the Empire lets obvious turbofash elves send inquisitions out to hunt anyone following the local religion without much if any of the reasons why they're kinda stuck in that position. So for me the first hint that these Stormcloaks weren't on the up-and-up was getting to Windhelm and seeing that they put the dark skinned elves in a ghetto and mistreat them, WELP.

The Dunmer of Windhelm is also a huge missed opportunity for quests and story imo.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Aug 25, 2019

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

GunnerJ posted:

If you don't have a lot of experience with the Elder Scrolls (before playing Skyrim, I didn't!), then the opening sequence powerfully taps into the American pop culture common sense of "empires = evil, plucky underdog rebels = good" a

That's fascinating and a really good point. Maybe I'm more tragically English than I even knew.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I mean I dunno if it's directly related to, like, the American Revolution. My frame of reference for empires and rebels in pop culture is mostly Star Wars (edit: and things that seem to pretty clearly have taken some inspiration from Star Wars, like FF6), although that's also a product of a country whose founding myth is about rebels against an evil empire so it would make sense if that aspect of it resonated so much.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Aug 25, 2019

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I overestimated how much the Empire ignored the Talos ban and went with the Stormcloaks on the grounds that the Empire seemed like an accessory to a plot to unravel linear time

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Aug 25, 2019

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

If it wasn't for Ulfric being a dumbass in Markarth the Empire would have been perfectly fine ignoring the ban on Talos so really everything that went wrong is his fault

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Markarth also puts the lie to Ulfric actually giving a poo poo about principles of self rule.

:edit: When I did the Civil War and Ulfric asked to be killed by the Dragonborn to make it a better song, I shot him in the rear end with a crossbow. I don't think it's gonna be the kind of song he was hoping for.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 25, 2019

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The Nords came from Atmora, settled in Skyrim, and then conquered the rest of the continent, creating the Empire. The conqueror who was the first ruler of the Empire was known in Skyrim as Talos, and for his martial and strategic prowess in managing to unite most of the continent under the rule of the sons of Skyrim, he was elevated to the rank of a deity.

Sure the center of power has moved south to Cyrodiil and the empire acquired its own distinct identity instead of just being Greater Skyrim, but still, it's kind of weird of them to play the oppressed minority card, waging war against Talos' creation in the name of Talos worship. Their ideology is self-contradicting.

The Stormcloaks are like if New York rebelled against the USA because there are too many catholics and non-whites polygamy has been banned. And I know the Mormons are mostly in Utah nowadays, but the cult was founded originally in the Burned-over District so there. New York belongs to the Morms! If that sounds completely stupid to you: it's the point. The whole Stormcloak thing is stupid.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Aug 25, 2019

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

7c Nickel posted:

Markarth also puts the lie to Ulfric actually giving a poo poo about principles of self rule.

:edit: When I did the Civil War and Ulfric asked to be killed by the Dragonborn to make it a better song, I shot him in the rear end with a crossbow. I don't think it's gonna be the kind of song he was hoping for.

Do you actually have to hit him for him to die at that point? Because now I'm wondering if I can bring the weakest/funniest follower I can think of and order them to do it. Derkeethus, maybe.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Gotta bring your boy, third wheel lad Faendal, along.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

Do you actually have to hit him for him to die at that point? Because now I'm wondering if I can bring the weakest/funniest follower I can think of and order them to do it. Derkeethus, maybe.
It's scripted so that either the Dragonborn, or General Tullius kills Ulfric.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Cat Mattress posted:

Sure the center of power has moved south to Cyrodiil and the empire acquired its own distinct identity instead of just being Greater Skyrim, but still, it's kind of weird of them to play the oppressed minority card, waging war against Talos' creation in the name of Talos worship. Their ideology is self-contradicting.

Well, there's somewhat similar examples in the real world - like the white Rhodesians declaring independence from Britan because the British government wasn't racist enough for them.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Rainbow Knight posted:

I made a Redguard recently and was considering joining the Stormcloaks and coming at it from an anti-Empire angle, but you have to turn on your pals and be okay with Argonians living in poo poo conditions and that's just not acceptable .
I made a Nord who owned a bigass house in Markarth. So basically a racist rich person who's mostly interested in making stuff better for herself. Also known as "an average Republican."

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

So I'm trying to use BethINI to make it so the game runs at 3440 x 1440 as well as some other recommended tweaks. I'm also using SKSE and Mod Organizer 2. But when I launch Skyrim from MO2 (launching through SKSE), none of the changes I made in BethINI are working. But when I manually double click on skse64_loader, all of the changes are there. Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong? I get the sense I'm just missing a step somewhere. SKSE is running when I launch through MO2.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Mod Organizer keeps its own set of .ini files, one for each profile you got setup.
If I recall right, BethINI can directly edit MO's copy of the .ini files so you don't have to search around in the MO's directory. I think you can select that in .ini path under Setup.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 25, 2019

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Moon Slayer posted:

So I'm trying to use BethINI to make it so the game runs at 3440 x 1440 as well as some other recommended tweaks. I'm also using SKSE and Mod Organizer 2. But when I launch Skyrim from MO2 (launching through SKSE), none of the changes I made in BethINI are working. But when I manually double click on skse64_loader, all of the changes are there. Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong? I get the sense I'm just missing a step somewhere. SKSE is running when I launch through MO2.

You gotta change the ini files from inside the MO.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Yep, that's the trick. The extra step I was missing was copy and paste. Thanks!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Maybe that explains why some of my framerate ini tweaks in Skyrim.ini didn't actually take last night when I was loving around with even more mods.

It really is a slippery slope. I tossed all that KS stuff and distinctive people because I was getting way too many black faced no face-gen people. I think it's actually just WICO that has too much overhead and bloat and it's loving things up. I tried that script to fix things like the essential NPCs tags, but it failed to run because my Edit Scripts directory was missing some other .pas script that it called, and that dude's documentation is worse than poo poo.

So now I need a new face replacer, which swings me all the way back around to wanting to try Distinctive People again, since I'm in VR and I will never see myself anyway... but that means gutting half my install lust because of compatibility patches and basically starting from scratch. Or I just make a new profile and do that anyway.

Skyrim modding! :woop:

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I haven't played Skyrim in a few years, is it worth buying the Special Edition for $40? The couple of videos I looked at it seems like the textures were actually lower res than the original high res texture pack, is that correct?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I haven't played Skyrim in a few years, is it worth buying the Special Edition for $40? The couple of videos I looked at it seems like the textures were actually lower res than the original high res texture pack, is that correct?

Depends on how much you want to mod it. If you spend a day getting set up it can look absolutely fantastic

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Any good resource for the mods I should be looking at for SE? I'm fine with spending some time setting things up and I have a beefy machine so performance won't be much of an issue.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Depends on your disposable income. SE is a massive improvement in stability and performance, but if $40 is a hardship, then don't do it.

Basically all the visual improvement mods have been ported over.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Any good resource for the mods I should be looking at for SE? I'm fine with spending some time setting things up and I have a beefy machine so performance won't be much of an issue.

Go to Nexus Mods and look up the SEPTIM guide. It’ll give you a list of mods and the proper order to install them if you read through it carefully. Most of the mods on the list have been properly ported to SE from Oldrim, but most of the ones that aren’t are just texture mods which you can install in SE with no problem. It’s when you get to stuff that has meshes and .esps and scripts that things start going off the rails for the inexperienced.

But SEPTIM should do you fine in the short term.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Wait until the next Steam Sale, it'll be down to $20 again.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

nine-gear crow posted:

Because I can just hear Michael Hogan in my head bemusedly going "Are you some type of lawyer or something?"

you fucker what have you done to me

dwarf74 posted:

I made a Nord who owned a bigass house in Markarth. So basically a racist rich person who's mostly interested in making stuff better for herself. Also known as "an average Republican."

i guess "Republican" is the mindset you have to be in. in addition to the varying levels of racism it makes so much sense, given that everyone who is into the Stormcloaks just gushes over Ulfric and everyone who fights for the Empire never mentions the Emperor or Tullius or anyone they're just like, "it's what we have and unity is strength or whatever."

that said, if skyrim were black marsh and there was a similar situation i would have no problem Making Argonia Great Again (redguards and orcs can come though) and would die a thousand deaths for lizard trump

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Redid all my mods, amazingly it worked on the first try though this time I still have black traces with Distinct faces, so it looks like that's a bust. Also Racemenu doesn't work on this version of Skyrim VR, which is a shame.

In the plus side, I got the cool combat animations working, just had to install one of the skeletons since they were loving up and animated poorly on the vanilla models.

That said, it's still amazing to me that there's no simple hair replacer for the regular hairs that isn't poo poo, or a general NPC replacer that isn't broken rear end WICO (which you can't patch the unkillable setting for on VR, apparently) and isn't some creepy anime face huge boob freak pack that only affects the women.

Seriously, what the gently caress. :wtc:

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Eric the Mauve posted:

If they wanted me to consider going Stormcloak, they should have installed a couple Stormcloak jarls I would feel really bad about throwing out on their rear end. Instead there are only two cool and good jarls (Idgrod and Balgruuf) and they're both Imperial aligned, and the Stormcloaks get superstars like Skald and Laila. I hate being forced to put loving Maven on the throne when I should be crucifying her outside the city gate, but if I go Stormcloak I'm forced to do the same goddamn thing with the Silver-bloods.

The mod Thieves Guild for Good Guys lets you stand up to Maven a bit and threaten her into being your stooge who pays you a nice cut of gold when you ask by the end, depending on if you help out the various suffering citizens of Skyrim with some light Robin Hood shenanigans.

But, much like Maven, I saw her becoming Jarl as more of an inevitability given that her steward was in deep and Laila was totally ignorant to/in denial of how much of Riften Maven controlled. I'd take a thousand Mavens over an idiot like Skald though.

Commander Keene posted:

I feel like the opening cutscene, aside from being a way for the game to continue the trend of "every mainline ES game has you start as a prisoner", is also a way to justify why anyone would ever play a Stormcloak. They try to make the imperials look as bad as they can out of the gate because the Stormcloaks spend the rest of the game being a bunch of hypocritical racist dumbasses and making themselves look as bad as possible. Especially at Windhelm, the seat of their power. The Empire ain't all roses and song either, but Ulfric looks kind of prophetic when you consider this game is from 2011.

They still fail though - in that opening Ulfric's biggest contribution is nothing because he disappears, while General Tullius leads the offense against the dragon to buy time for everyone to evacuate. Sure he's got no chance against Alduin, but 'Guards, get the townspeople to safety!' was a hell of a lot more compelling to me than 'Come on, the gods won't give us another chance!' like gently caress you buddy, all these people - YOUR people, some of whom openly supported your leader in a very dangerous public way - are in danger and you're running? And you don't even bother to cut my hands free in that tower? Why the hell would I go with Ralof?

Meanwhile Hadvar rescues a kid from Alduin's direct line of fire and accompanies you across the battlefield personally - he doesn't hesitate to put himself on the line to protect you, even though you're just a prisoner.

Empire not great, but Stormcloaks are The Worst.

Pyrotoad fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Aug 26, 2019

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
*gently caress quote is not edit

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
*gently caress

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Pyrotoad posted:

The mod Thieves Guild for Good Guys lets you stand up to Maven a bit and threaten her into being your stooge who pays you a nice cut of gold when you ask by the end, depending on if you help out the various suffering citizens of Skyrim with some light Robin Hood shenanigans.

But, much like Maven, I saw her becoming Jarl as more of an inevitability given that her steward was in deep and Laila was totally ignorant to/in denial of how much of Riften Maven controlled. I'd take a thousand Mavens over an idiot like Skald though.

They still fail though - in that opening Ulfric's biggest contribution is nothing because he disappears, while General Tullius leads the offense against the dragon to buy time for everyone to evacuate. Sure he's got no chance against Alduin, but 'Guards, get the townspeople to safety!' was a hell of a lot more compelling to me than 'Come on, the gods won't give us another chance!' like gently caress you buddy, all these people - YOUR people, some of whom openly supported your leader in a very dangerous public way - are in danger and you're running? And you don't even bother to cut my hands free in that tower? Why the hell would I go with Ralof?

Meanwhile Hadvar rescues a kid from Alduin's direct line of fire and accompanies you across the battlefield personally - he doesn't hesitate to put himself on the line to protect you, even though you're just a prisoner.

Empire not great, but Stormcloaks are The Worst.

There's a mod that restores a lot of cut content to the opening scene, most of it centered around Ulfric. It kinda gilds the lily a bit too much in places, especially with an entirely new voice actor for Havdar who doesn't fit in with the game and is pretty spotty and a scene with the kid and his dad that really throws off the pacing of the escape sequence, but some of the restored content is pretty cool.

Ulfric addresses Ralof by name repeatedly, is happy to see both him and the Dragonborn survived the attack and escape and accompanies the player along with Ralof through Helgen Keep to the collapsed bridge leading into the cave. The Stormcloak mook that gets blasted by Alduin in the tower gets a name and Ralof is quite upset by his death. You can actually hear the argument between Tullius and Elenwyn now and it makes it super clear that the Thalmor are dickbags right from the word go and that Tullius is standing up to them at his own risk. It also makes Lokir significantly less whiny and more badass, but at the cost of Richard Epcar's :discourse: performance as Chickenshit Lokir, because he apparently had a completely different VA at some point in Skyrim's development.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The best part is if you go to Rorikstead, nobody knows who Lokir is.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Fuzz posted:

That said, it's still amazing to me that there's no simple hair replacer for the regular hairs that isn't poo poo

What's wrong with Superior Lore-Friendly Hair?

Also I just typed "skyrim vanilla hair replacer" into a search engine and found this which doesn't look too bad.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

bony tony posted:

The best part is if you go to Rorikstead, nobody knows who Lokir is.

It's a bit difficult to believe that a) anyone is from Rorikstead, or b) that it's even possible for there to be a traditional Nord drinking song about a guy named Ragnar the Red who's from Rorikstead.

and yes, I know about the cut child sacrifice story. No, the other cut child sacrifice story.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Aug 26, 2019

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Cat Mattress posted:

What's wrong with Superior Lore-Friendly Hair?

Also I just typed "skyrim vanilla hair replacer" into a search engine and found this which doesn't look too bad.

I somehow missed that mod and kept finding shiva's replacer, which has a billion conflicts and requires you to basically make your own facegens. I wish the Superior Lore Friendly hair one had been converted to SE, because it doesn't work with VR as is.

I don't know why, but a lot of mods straight don't show up in nexus search for me... like I couldn't find the base Pandorable NPCs mod and had to get to its page via the Russian version of the mod, but it's there on the Skyrim SE site. :iiam:

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Aug 26, 2019

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

nine-gear crow posted:

There's a mod that restores a lot of cut content to the opening scene, most of it centered around Ulfric. It kinda gilds the lily a bit too much in places, especially with an entirely new voice actor for Havdar who doesn't fit in with the game and is pretty spotty and a scene with the kid and his dad that really throws off the pacing of the escape sequence, but some of the restored content is pretty cool.

Ulfric addresses Ralof by name repeatedly, is happy to see both him and the Dragonborn survived the attack and escape and accompanies the player along with Ralof through Helgen Keep to the collapsed bridge leading into the cave. The Stormcloak mook that gets blasted by Alduin in the tower gets a name and Ralof is quite upset by his death. You can actually hear the argument between Tullius and Elenwyn now and it makes it super clear that the Thalmor are dickbags right from the word go and that Tullius is standing up to them at his own risk. It also makes Lokir significantly less whiny and more badass, but at the cost of Richard Epcar's :discourse: performance as Chickenshit Lokir, because he apparently had a completely different VA at some point in Skyrim's development.

Cool, I'll try that out with my next alt, thanks. I tried running Cutting Room Floor for more things like this but I got CTD'd to hell and back with that, so I'm glad I can see some cut stuff.

Still though, if it was cut for whatever reason and they felt no need to try and endear us to Ulfric more than they did, stands to reason they're happy with how the released game depicted that event. It couldn't have been too hard to add a diary or something we could pick up that showed his perspective and thoughts on Helgen, explaining why he didn't do the cut stuff. Would've gone a long way towards me granting him that better song vs letting Tullius do it.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Pyrotoad posted:

Still though, if it was cut for whatever reason and they felt no need to try and endear us to Ulfric more than they did, stands to reason they're happy with how the released game depicted that event. It couldn't have been too hard to add a diary or something we could pick up that showed his perspective and thoughts on Helgen, explaining why he didn't do the cut stuff. Would've gone a long way towards me granting him that better song vs letting Tullius do it.

I feel like that comes down to expecting more from Bethesda's writing and ability to make deeper characters or think up alternate resolutions to quests instead of a straight line from beginning to end with maybe a hug puppy/kick puppy choice at the end.

Had a really disappointing experience after coming fresh off New Vegas into Skyrim in Morthal where you're given a quest by the Jarl to be a detective and find a vampire hiding in town, I discovered the vampire's journal early into the quest filled with entries like "I sure do love being a vampire and drinking blood, nobody suspects a thing" but I still had to follow the quest steps and interview people around town and go back into the house I took the book from before I could show anyone the book.

If it was New Vegas's writing team, I could of either shown the Jarl the book right away or taken it to the vampire and asked to get in on her racket and either blackmail her or become a vampire or had special dialogue if I was already a vampire.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I don't think Bethesda exclusively made New Vegas - Obsidian was the main dev team and Bethesda just published it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Pyrotoad posted:

I don't think Bethesda exclusively made New Vegas - Obsidian was the main dev team and Bethesda just published it.

Bethesda didn't do poo poo, Obsidian did everything for New Vegas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Fuzz posted:

Bethesda didn't do poo poo, Obsidian did everything for New Vegas.
That's not true. Bethesda did the QA. :v:
Bethesda programmers did actually do some useful stuff for F:NV and assisted with some engine upgrades.