Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
First they came for the cottagers

quote:

Ontario cottage owners are in for a shock this fall as electricity rates for seasonal customers are set to rise by as much as 129 per cent.

The Ontario Energy Board (OEB) tasked Hydro One with developing a billing model that would eliminate the class under which most seasonal customers have their hydro fees assessed.

In a letter to customers last week, the electricity provider warned that if the OEB eliminates the seasonal rate class, hydro bills would rise for more than half of them.

A spokesperson for the OEB said Hydro One customers would then be moved to one of the utility's other three residential classes, based on the population density of the area, and the infrastructure and equipment costs that come with delivering electricity.

Hydro One sent its official analysis of the proposal to the OEB on July 19. The OEB is issuing public notice of hearings into the proposed elimination of the seasonal class.

The OEB has found some cottages are just as easy to supply with power as many year-round homes. Removing all seasonal users from the equation would make the billing structure fairer for everyone, the board says.

"This will ensure that seasonal customers pay the appropriate cost for their service they receive," wrote OEB spokesperson Mary Ellen Beninger.
Krystyna Williamson, president of the Christie Lake Association, called the threat of steep power bill increases "another nail in the coffin" for cottage owners already struggling to pay high fuel prices and rising property taxes.

She said cottagers typically pay double what urban customers pay for power delivery, offering the example of one neighbour who was charged a $120 delivery fee on an $8.32 power bill.

"It all adds into making it harder for children to take on the cost of a property that their parents and grandparents maintained," Williamson said.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/cottagers-brace-disastrous-change-electricity-bill-1.5250039

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Doug Ford is going to be keel-hauled from a Lund over this

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

I don't give a poo poo about your second playhouse out where the infrastructure doesn't shouldn't run

Mar 18, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Juul-Whip posted:

EMay humble-bragging about her gaydar

i like the subtle thing about a straight person knowing who all the gays are. may is a joke and her brain has worms from all the wifi rays

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Please yes more nails in the coffins of cottage owners. Don't stop hammering.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

What's the Ontario version of Alberta oilpatch workers who spend all of their money on coke, ATVs and lake houses?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Fashionable Jorts posted:

What's the Ontario version of Alberta oilpatch workers who spend all of their money on coke, ATVs and lake houses?

Newfies?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Oilpatch workers who spend all of their money on coke, ATVs and lake houses. Where do you think they come from?

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I used to imagine a "cottage" as a 5-600 sq ft cabin, a quaint off-the-grid thing. Instead most people have a second home on the lake, in an on the lake neighborhood with every single amenity of their first home, making the whole affair largely pointless. I don't understand why you'd need uninterrupted electricity at your summer getaway, isn't this exactly what loving solar should be for? Fuckin, organize your idiot cottage community into solar micro grids if you're that butt mad about it.

lowly abject turd
Mar 23, 2009

autism ZX spectrum posted:

I used to imagine a "cottage" as a 5-600 sq ft cabin, a quaint off-the-grid thing. Instead most people have a second home on the lake, in an on the lake neighborhood with every single amenity of their first home, making the whole affair largely pointless. I don't understand why you'd need uninterrupted electricity at your summer getaway, isn't this exactly what loving solar should be for? Fuckin, organize your idiot cottage community into solar micro grids if you're that butt mad about it.

the economics of owning a cottage are such that most cottages are nicer than most "family" homes

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
when u live in winnipeg but own a ford f350 and defend the oil sands

https://twitter.com/jeffkhamilton/status/1164353494976876544?s=20

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
https://twitter.com/theJagmeetSingh/status/1164683479218577408

A decent tweet

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The replies are good evidence that I was right about Canada being poo poo

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

xtal posted:

The replies are good evidence that I was right about Canada being poo poo

This is like saying you read a Trump tweet and finally have evidence he isn't a good president.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Glad that Jagmeet did a thing! Now do some more things.

A popular city councillor is the NDP candidate in my riding this time so it should be a fairly safe seat. It either goes NDP or conservative with a solid run of NDP in the last decade or so.

weird to think the election is about 2 months or less away

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

priznat posted:

weird to think the election is about 2 months or less away

it's actually 69 days away

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Another Bill posted:

it's actually 69 days away

Nice

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah I'm not worried about my orange stronghold flipping. My vote won't make a difference so who knows what I'll vote this year. CPC(ML)? Pirate? Is the marijuana party still a thing?

Should get fun when the writ drops though.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:buddy:

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 01:08 on Jun 16, 2021

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

ahahahahaah holy poo poo

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/pallister-kinew-benefits-comment-1.5258179?__vfz=medium%3Dsharebar

quote:

Claims by Progressive Conservative Leader Brian Pallister that he grew up poorer than his NDP rival are being called "offensive" by an Indigenous leader, and will only draw attention to Pallister's frequent jaunts to Costa Rica, says a political scientist.

Pallister was referring to a recent study that found 56 per cent of Manitoba families have less than $200 a month to spend after bills are paid.

"That's where I come from," Pallister said. But NDP Leader Wab Kinew was better off, he said.

"Mr. Kinew does not come from a household like that. Mr. Kinew's narrative is that he was hard done by and he's on a road to recovery. The house he grew up in was triple the size the one I was raised in and mine didn't have any indoor plumbing.

"We might have had spoons in our house but they were not silver. Mr. Kinew didn't go to a public school, he went to a private school. Mr. Kinew was handed more benefits than any premier in the last 60 years in this province. That's the truth."

Pallister's comments were first reported by Thompson Citizen editor Ian Graham and were verified on Friday by CBC News.

"I believe his comments are offensive on the basis that a premier should have a better understanding of the historical discrimination that we as Indigenous people have endured for generations," said consultant Derek Nepinak, who is the former grand chief of the Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs.

"When we hear the word 'benefits,' what it's tied to is what I believe to be a false narrative about Indigenous people receiving benefits from being identified as status Indians or government programs and services.

"It ties into a language that I think is a discourse to me that is somewhat racially motivated. It's inaccurate."

Nepinak said he knew Kinew's late father very well. He was one of Nepinak's teachers but Nepinak said he is not an NDP member and hasn't been following the party's campaign.

Pallister's comments weren't smart and will bring his vacation home in Costa Rica back into the news, said University of Toronto political scientist Nelson Wiseman, who has studied Manitoba politics.

"It just had Costa Rica written all over it," Wiseman said. The vacation home and how much time he spends there as premier has created loads of negative publicity for Pallister, and been ammunition for the opposition NDP in recent years. Kinew doesn't have a vacation home, his press secretary said Friday.

"By pointing out the house Kinew grew up in was larger than the house that Brian Pallister grew up in, of course, it makes people think OK, well, why don't they compare their current houses?" Wiseman said.

"And how about the house in Costa Rica?"

Pallister said Friday his remarks were "the facts," when CBC asked him what prompted his statement. He then walked away from the podium at a PC announcement.

"I just think this was an error in judgment because that's what will jump out at every reader or listener who hears this because it draws attention to the quite privileged life that Pallister now currently enjoys," said Wiseman.

Pallister has a mansion on Wellington Crescent that was valued at about $2M in 2012 when he purchased it. Kinew's office told CBC Friday his Crescentwood-area home has a value of approximately $807,000

"I've seen real poverty in my life and so I've never claimed poverty. When I was a kid, my friends' parents used to take me to the dump with them to 'go shopping' and so I've never claimed poverty because, you know, I have respect for people that I grew up with," Kinew told CBC Friday.

"It's part of what it was like growing up."

Kinew said he spent the first few years of his life on a reserve and then moved to Winnipeg with his family, where they lived in apartments for a number of years before getting a house.

He said he attended public school until about Grade 10, when he got band funding to attend the University of Winnipeg Collegiate, where he graduated high school.

In the North End Friday, one voter took issue with Pallister's remarks.

"I'm assuming he's talking about (Kinew's) treaty rights. There are those but to access them is extremely hard. I don't think anybody really knows how hard it is to actually get those benefits and there's many, many, many barriers," said Jocelyn Friesen.

"I'd like to see him try and get any of those benefits. It took myself two years just to get my status card and the process was humiliating and degrading, and that's really harsh what he's saying there."

Kinew, a former journalist and rapper, said he's ready for whatever the Tories say about him on the campaign trail.

"I've got a thick skin. I'm ready for whatever the Tories are going to throw at me and if Pallister's going to throw a little tantrum while he's in northern Manitoba, that's fine because, again, this isn't about me, this isn't about him. This is about Manitobans and what they need from their next government."

Kinew also referenced Pallister's remark that Kinew "was handed more benefits than any other premier."

"I'm glad Mr. Pallister's finally facing facts and he's calling me the premier because I am going to form government on September 10th, so it's good that he's acknowledging that now. It'll make the transition easier."

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:boom:

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 01:07 on Jun 16, 2021

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

gently caress I didn’t see you pat that here re: racist pallister

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I love that current conservative platform. They're re-promising poo poo that didn't get implemented the first time around and also just wholesale bashing Kinew. They're really pushing a "more jobs" agenda, even though they were supposed to get Manitoba's economy red hot by now anyway. Every time the libs say they're going to increase funding to something, Pallister counters with a "me too!". Too bad they let the meth crisis go on for 2 years now and are juuust starting to acknowledge it needs to be addressed.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:bravo2:

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 01:08 on Jun 16, 2021

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
The liberal party in MB is some horrible zombie-like thing. The party collapsed under its own idiocy last election cycle and everyone who wanted to save their career jumped ship. I'm positive the liberal party skims the CBC and twitter to find the most knee-jerk liberal issues and campaigns on them. $7 million for lead contaminated soil in a Winnipeg neighbourhood if you vote for us!!

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

the manitoba liberals platform is always some weird cobbled together pet project bullshit. i hope they lose their party status again. my favourite promise they have right now is replacing the rcmp with a “manitoba police force” on reserves. like gently caress off

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Saying that your native opponent "was handed more benefits than any premier in the last 60 years in this province" is one hell of a dog whistle.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

is that even a dog whistle? that's just directly saying the bullshit talking point regressive Canadians have been using for years re: aboriginal entitlements

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IĂÂĂŒÂĂŒÂ° ĂÂ“ĂŒÂ¯ĂŒÂ–ĂŒÂ«ĂŒÂ¹ĂŒÂ¯ĂŒÂ¤A҉mĂÂĂŒÂºĂŒÂ© ĂÂ‡ĂŒÂ¬AĂŒÂ¡ĂŒÂ®ĂŒÂĂŒÂ ĂÂĂÂ‰ĂŒÂ±ĂŒÂ« KĂŒÂ¶eĂ“gĂÂ.ĂŒÂ•ĂŒÂ»ĂŒÂ±ĂŒÂªĂÂ–ĂŒÂ¹ĂŒÂŸ

Helsing posted:

Saying that your native opponent "was handed more benefits than any premier in the last 60 years in this province" is one hell of a dog whistle.

I'm not sure if complaining about natives getting benefits is a dog whistle because it sounds just like racism to me and I have regular person ears

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
what's native voting participation like? get everyone to vote. there's your answer to a progressive Manitoba government right there

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

I'm not sure if complaining about natives getting benefits is a dog whistle because it sounds just like racism to me and I have regular person ears

No you don't. You voluntarily subject yourself to a politics forum which already means you spend more time thinking about these issues than the vast majority of the electorate.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IĂÂĂŒÂĂŒÂ° ĂÂ“ĂŒÂ¯ĂŒÂ–ĂŒÂ«ĂŒÂ¹ĂŒÂ¯ĂŒÂ¤A҉mĂÂĂŒÂºĂŒÂ© ĂÂ‡ĂŒÂ¬AĂŒÂ¡ĂŒÂ®ĂŒÂĂŒÂ ĂÂĂÂ‰ĂŒÂ±ĂŒÂ« KĂŒÂ¶eĂ“gĂÂ.ĂŒÂ•ĂŒÂ»ĂŒÂ±ĂŒÂªĂÂ–ĂŒÂ¹ĂŒÂŸ

Helsing posted:

No you don't. You voluntarily subject yourself to a politics forum which already means you spend more time thinking about these issues than the vast majority of the electorate.

gently caress

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I can't get over the fact he actually said it. It's racist as gently caress and it's purposefully divisive and he's trying to use it to catch some of the current racist/white supremacist energy. I don't understand why the left hasn't turned him into a laughingstock by now, other than the fact the leftist parties are too useless to do goddamn anything.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

I'm pretty sure that if they forgot to put the NDP on the next ballot, most people wouldn't even notice.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

hmm I was wondering why I hadn’t heard wab kinew on CBC radio in a while

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Defund Torstar?

https://twitter.com/TorontoStar/status/1165384564023406593

Rosie DiManno continues to be terrible, also possibly confusing 2005 for 1995

infernal machines has issued a correction as of 17:35 on Aug 25, 2019

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Also hilarious:

https://twitter.com/DianaDYoon/status/1165263787643068416

You've really gotta hustle to get a candidacy as a Conservative downtown TO

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Rosie is a bad sports AND opinion columnist, she’s multi-untalented!

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Manitoba PCs really missing out on using the tagline "I got mad hits like I was Wab Kinew" IMHO.

Unless "aging rap fans" isn't as large a constituency in Manitoba as I'm thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:blush:

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 01:07 on Jun 16, 2021