Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think, for me, it's self-actualization. It's simply not hating every waking moment and wanting to die. I guess, in comparison to that, anything else is an infinity-percent improvement. There are still things I hate about my body and want to change, including things I'll never be able to change, but at least that I can have in common with nearly anybody. Nobody is 100% satisfied with their body, I think.

The fact that I can experience anything akin to happiness regarding my body is nothing short of a personal miracle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

After some things happened to me as a newly minted teenager I spent a long time, literally years, feeling as though my own body had betrayed me/been used as a weapon against me and I hated it and damaged it regularly for a long time. After I turned eighteen I started the process of taking it back and making it into something that felt new and safe for me. I have any number of piercings (mostly lining my ears) and a couple large tattoos and I dress completely differently than I used to, and it took a decade and a half but I finally nearly feel like a whole, healthy person that is completely my own. I've got the mess of scars for life but at this point they're part of me too and I don't particularly care when people see them. It's part of what happened and it's part of what I needed to learn to accept and move past.

Moving to California helped; the sun is lightening my hair significantly and tanning my skin just a little and it feels like I've finished my transformation into someone physically new, which is huge in combination with the other things I'm working on.

So while as a cisperson I'll never fully understand I definitely feel as though I have a grasp of it.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I miss my mohawk. :sigh:
Spring 2020 it'll be back, just gotta let my follicles do they thing. (also gonna dye it then I think, since my beard is a different color it might as well be wayyyy different lol)

Turbo Fondant has a new favorite as of 20:28 on Aug 23, 2019

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
That's a nice rear end mohawk. I had one at 34 (2017) years old with thin, short, grey hair. I tried. :(

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Let's just pretend i quote everyone's pictures and then quote Bird's "She's Beautiful!!" post for each one.

Teagan
Sep 20, 2002

Out here, everything hurts.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

So while as a cisperson I'll never fully understand I definitely feel as though I have a grasp of it.

Having been through something very similar, I have felt very.. similarly.

Echoing Six, you are all beautiful :)

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Early 30s? Yep.
Dead end job? Yep.
Feel like my life is falling apart around me? Yep.
Feel like I've got nothing else going for me? Yep.

gently caress it. Dye my hair blue.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
CIS here. I hated my body for a while, then was okay with it, then got a little overweight and hated myself again. Currently feeling better, but now I'm getting hairy everywhere and balding up top so I'm back to self loathing. It's a cycle

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Thoughts on my relationship with my body later, right now I'm OMW to the hospital because my right cheek suddenly swelled back up to where it was two weeks ago and now has some gnarly fluid coming out of the incision site alongmy gums. Wish me luck, goons!

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Fender Anarchist posted:

Serious question for the cis folks here: is it normal to feel this good? Do y'all just naturally feel this content and connected to your own body?

i hate my flesh prison, but my dysphoria isn't related to gender

(cis woman, here)

Karnegal posted:

I'm OMW to the hospital because my right cheek suddenly swelled back up to where it was two weeks ago and now has some gnarly fluid coming out of the incision site alongmy gums. Wish me luck, goons!

good luck, get well soon, dont let anyone drink your precious jaw juice

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Karnegal posted:

Thoughts on my relationship with my body later, right now I'm OMW to the hospital because my right cheek suddenly swelled back up to where it was two weeks ago and now has some gnarly fluid coming out of the incision site alongmy gums. Wish me luck, goons!

Good luck, and don’t let them sap/impurify your precious bodily fluids :ohdear:

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Turns out it's infected. So now I get to ramp up the perception mouthwash to twice what I was doing before, and I get a new course of antibiotics. But nothing major is wrong, and this apparently more just unpleasant as opposed to an actual problem.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

it me. I'm the summer tramp

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

RC Cola posted:

CIS here. I hated my body for a while, then was okay with it, then got a little overweight and hated myself again. Currently feeling better, but now I'm getting hairy everywhere and balding up top so I'm back to self loathing. It's a cycle

Cis woman, hated my body as a kid and teen, took some Feminist Studies classes at 19 and learned to love my body, and genuinely did love the hell out of it. But it turns out the things I loved were still defined by a patriarchal framework, so every time my body changes as I age, I have to relearn to love it. Especially as the older you get, the less you fit the standard.

RandomZero
Aug 22, 2010

Haven't posted in a bit. Low light Friday night.

Leaving Thursday morning to Japan for 31 days. I've always wanted to go, and even though this is a work thing, I'm super loving excited. Not sure how much free time we're going to get but I'm sure it's going to be rad as hell regardless. Will take many pics, maybe even some with me in them!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I’m heading to the Keys today for some training on how to wrangle a python and not get wrapped up in their struggle-snuggle.

I’d nearly forgotten that this was going to b part of my job until my boss told me that I needed this training 🤣

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

3rd morning in the hospital after my wife gave birth to our daughter on Thursday. Super excited that we get to go home today. Also, my wife says I'm pretty in the mornings.

e: and apparently my timg tags aren't working. Huh.

10 Beers has a new favorite as of 02:34 on Dec 11, 2019

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

10 Beers posted:

3rd morning in the hospital after my wife gave birth to our daughter on Thursday. Super excited that we get to go home today. Also, my wife says I'm pretty in the mornings.

Because that isn't an image link. You need a url that ends in .jpg or .png or whatever flavor of image file you are using.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

10 Beers posted:

Congrats on the new baby! Here's to many sleepless nights 🍻

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

RFC2324 posted:

Because that isn't an image link. You need a url that ends in .jpg or .png or whatever flavor of image file you are using.

Thanks! Apparently imgur doesn't just give you the bbcode link anymore.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

10 Beers posted:

Thanks! Apparently imgur doesn't just give you the bbcode link anymore.

You can get it from the website, and on mobile you can get the direct link by clicking the pic, then the share button

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

So many handsome and beautiful people in here. Each and every one of you.

:kimchi:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Being alive is neat sometimes

And Toby is happy again 😻

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

10 Beers posted:

baby pics now or gtfo :colbert:

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

baby pics now or gtfo :colbert:

Ehhhhh. I've already talked to my wife about locking down her Facebook before she posts pics. Be pretty hypocritical for me to put em up here. Plus, I've been here long enough to remember people getting doxxed, etc. Sorry, friend Fatty. 😞

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
AC is broke at home, so chilling at the local library and enjoying the internet-you-have-to-reset-hourly (seriously though I'm so luck to live within walking distance of a library)

Yesterday, when I was working on the car (radiator fan buzzing, not broken just annoying)

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Everyone looking cute, though obviously Toby is looking cutest (sorry, humans).

Some body thoughts: (this will be kind of long and rambling, feel free to skip it, I kind of want to write it out because I don't have a ton of venues to talk about this stuff)

I've had a weird relationship with my body over the years. I knew I was "supposed to be a girl" when I was 7, but it was the early 90's and I lived in rural PA, so aside from not even knowing what being trans was, I can't imagine transitioning in that place and time. But, I was lucky enough to be fairly androgynous when I was younger. Through my teens, I had next to no facial hair, and I've always had minimal body hair -like less hair on my arms and legs than the majority of cis women I know, so while I wasn't thrilled with my body I kind of made do and it wasn't awful most days. It got worse in my 20's when facial hair started to come in my lip/chin area and my shoulders finally decided to gently caress me over and fill out a bit. By the time I was in my late 20's (and nearly done a PhD minor in Gender and Women's Studies) I identified as non-binary, but I didn't tell anyone but my wife since we were moving around for her post docs and I had no idea where we'd end up and if it would be safe. Fast forward though some really depressing years, and I finally started actually presenting as non-binary shortly after my wife threw in the towel on academia and took the corporate pay check which let us move to Boston. At first I thought that was going to be an OK way to negotiate things with myself even if I knew I was actually just a trans woman. The thing that pushed me over the edge and made me realize I wasn't going to be alright was last year when I started getting some facial hair on my cheeks and some chest hair. A couple weeks later I came out to my wife yet again, and after she said she was on board, I started HRT the next week.

So, now I'm closing in on 10 months, and it's a weird place. There are aspects of my body that I like. There are some I don't like, but many of those could also potentially change over the next 1-2 years of HRT while I'm still in the active changes period. Overall, I'm certainly WAY happier than I used to be, but I'm also increasingly trying to come to terms with the challenge of unpacking what is gender dysphoria and what is issues with internalized beauty standards. I assume this is a fairly common experience among trans women, but it's not quite as simple as wanting to pass as a woman (which isn't everyone's goal, but it's certainly mine). In my experience, there's also a significant component of wanting to be conventionally attractive. I had FFS* back at the beginning of the month, and if I'm honest, the procedures I had done were varying mixes of addressing dysphoria and trying to be more attractive. My insurance covered it, so I sort of went all in -because if you're going to have your face peeled off, you should probably do everything in one go. Getting my brow and Adam's Apple flattened were addressing things that I agonized about pretty much every day, but other elements are a little more nebulous. One of the things I had done was cheek implants, and while I think more prominent cheekbones will help feminize my face, I didn't have the same sort of constant oppressive anxiety about my cheekbones that I did with my brow. So how much of that change to my cheeks was trying to look feminine and how much was trying to look attractive? I honestly don't know. In terms of how all of that has made me feel, it's a mixed bag. The brow and Adam's Apple changes are fairly stark and already very noticeable, so that's been pretty good even if I'm still getting used to it. I took an Uber when I went to the hospital yesterday and I defaulted to holding my head in a way that made it hard to see my Adam's Apple when I realized that I don't have a noticeable one anymore, and I was like "woah, I can just not worry about this." Meanwhile most of the rest of my face - nose, jaw, cheeks, are still swollen and won't 100% settle for 6-12 months, so it's kind of another version of transitioning generally where you sort of go in on a long term process and hope that you're going to be happy with the results on the other end. So I would say that I am happier than I was and generally optimistic, but also a little nervous as well since the wait and see component is a little scary.

Facial Feminization Surgery: A series of surgeries that are designed to undo the effects of going though puberty on testosterone the first time. A lot of it involves shaving down your bones. The goal, in theory, is to eliminate dysphoria and allow you to pass as a woman.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Cis man, and I can't really say I've been overjoyed with my body, nor have I hated it. It's just me, and what I've been given. Content enough would be a good way to put it.

Good vibes though! I'm visiting the Canadian East coast for the first time. My brother underwent a drastic career turn. Bucking the trend, he moved from the oilfields of Mordor province, to the maritimes to work on a fish boat. We're out here for his wedding!

This place is apparently in the heart of Acadia. It's pretty cool to hear people just speaking French, or English just interchangably, hell even the local radio dj was switching between both during the same interlude.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Still figuring this poo poo out. Brows and makeup tutorials. (I own several other dresses, I promise!)

EDIT: gently caress fyad

AMISH FRIED PIES has a new favorite as of 01:13 on Jan 2, 2020

Teagan
Sep 20, 2002

Out here, everything hurts.

Face!

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Good faces all around!

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

AMISH FRIED PIES posted:

Still figuring this poo poo out. Brows and makeup tutorials. (I own several other dresses, I promise!)

From someone who has no experience with brows or makeup, I think your brows is 100% on point and whatever makeup you're wearing looks fabulous!

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

I can not do my own eyebrows and I am waaaaay overdue for a waxing

I am a titty mentat rn

Horsey McHorseface
Jun 5, 2017

To add to the body image chat:

Cis woman here, and have been plagued by low self esteem and terrible body image for as long as I can remember. I stopped working out recently, which is stupid because it helped, but I don't have the energy for it anymore.
I don't think I'll ever be 100% happy with my body, but I take some kind of selfish comfort in knowing I'm not alone in the struggle. I agree with Karnegal though, in that Toby is the most beautiful of all the goons :3

Thank you for this feel-good thread goons. I'm stupidly emotional tonight and it may or may not be getting a little dusty in here...

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Happy first day of fall semester, binches.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Work selfie!

Then I realized that tropical storm Dorian is heading our way, and the next few days are going to be fun 🙃

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

Happy first day of fall semester, binches.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

she's beautiful :3:

Icon Of Sin posted:

Work selfie!

Then I realized that tropical storm Dorian is heading our way, and the next few days are going to be fun 🙃

Stay safe ocean ghost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Video of me and Toby, I don't feel like turning it