Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I wouldnt be surprised if they all bought the ship. The entire purpose of an event like this is to create hype and enthusiasm and peer pressure towards making the purchase. I still think this is time-share marketing tactics.

i sincerely hope 'static server meshing' means something fancier than instancing otherwise l o l

Why is server side object container streaming needed for the single player game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Maybe singleplayer is still architected as client:server...

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I wouldnt be surprised if they all bought the ship. The entire purpose of an event like this is to create hype and enthusiasm and peer pressure towards making the purchase. I still think this is time-share marketing tactics.

i sincerely hope 'static server meshing' means something fancier than instancing otherwise l o l

It's instancing :lol:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:ohdear: :tif: :derp: :gonk:

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Ah yes, easily manipulated ... into not spending 650$ on memelayer.jpg.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

iospace posted:

I spent 1500 on a bike this week, and I'm getting a lot more literal mileage out of it compared to spending 1950 to buy a ship in a game.

But does it punch above its weight and have a drink mini-game? I thought not.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

iospace posted:

No, you miss the point! You place them and forget them. When a bad guy comes, then they chase.

Realistically, they despawn before they do anything.

I'm pretty sure CIG has not even begun to think of the impact of this. I'm sure there is no clean up routine and what will happen is more and more of these "mines" will accumulate until the game just seizes. But hey that's years decades away. Early days remember.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

So, why is a server side thing required for SQ42 again?

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

monkeytek posted:

I'm pretty sure CIG has not even begun to think of the impact of this. I'm sure there is no clean up routine and what will happen is more and more of these "mines" will accumulate until the game just seizes. But hey that's years decades away. Early days remember.

Yeah, if the mines decay too quickly, they are not worth it at all, especially if replenishing them will cost a lot. If they don't decay quickly, servers will gently caress up sooner or later. Whatever happens, this thread wins.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

rePool
Apr 18, 2019

Undercover Goon.

So long and thanks for all the fish

I only like the criticism I can agree with otherwise the rest is FUD.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Oh is Scientology not a scam then? I mean they've got thousands of employees and offices around the world. Is Peter Popoff not a con man then? I mean he runs a non-profit that has employees and offices too.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

He's not wrong, it's a pretty terrible scam

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer

Sample_text posted:

All you entitled gamers demanding the poor devs work on non-profitable elements rather than what keeps the lights on.
Shame on you.

I, for one, remember the days when devs didn't have to take such poo poo from players! Take a hike, freeloader goonie!

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/Jorunn_SC/status/1165658936965509120

:homebrew:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Another new buzzword: Item Cache 2.0 :lol: RIP Item 2.0

"Too early for whitebox/greybox multicrew gameplay" :laffo:

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Got to love CIG for coming up with techno babble BS to cover for their failures.

My guess is "static meshing" will split their "universe" into a bunch of separate maps. If one of the maps is full, you travel into a new instance of that map.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Quavers posted:

It's instancing :lol:

It literally is just instancing. They still think this will somehow allow them to have epic space battles with 100s of entities.

skeletors_condom posted:

Got to love CIG for coming up with techno babble BS to cover for their failures.

My guess is "static meshing" will split their "universe" into a bunch of separate maps. If one of the maps is full, you travel into a new instance of that map.

Exactly this. The complete opposite to how the backers think it works and opposite to how it has been explained to them. Even Kazan should know better.

Baxta fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 25, 2019

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Quavers posted:

Another new buzzword: Item Cache 2.0 :lol: RIP Item 2.0

"Too early for whitebox/greybox multicrew gameplay" :laffo:

Croberts is personally refactoring the physics? :eyepop: :popeye:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Yes that’s deffo a...*squints* computer mouse.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Quavers posted:

:lol:

So if I understand correctly, the missile truck has a range of 2km, but mines have a detection and movement range of 5km?

Lol, why does everything in this game have such absurdly low effective ranges? Automated sentry guns aren't much of a thing in the real world except in very specific situations and they all require human authorization to actually fire. But the ones that I quickly checked out have automated target acquisition and firing solutions out to about 3 kilometers. Give 1000 years of advancement, and stick the sentry gun in space where there is no terrain or much background noise at all (or anything that limits the range of a ballistic weapon), and it should easily be able to automatically fire out to at least several thousand kilometers. Effective range would have to depend on how fast its munitions travel, but at least give something reasonable, not 5 freakin' kilometers.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The jpg space ship thing is suppose to be a joke, or at least should be at this point. 8 years into development and it's still a real thing, is pretty embarrassing.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

We work with games that have actual mechanics, not the fever dreams of the dark corners of Reddit.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

phosdex posted:

Oh is Scientology not a scam then? I mean they've got thousands of employees and offices around the world. Is Peter Popoff not a con man then? I mean he runs a non-profit that has employees and offices too.

According to his definition Theranos isn't a scam either. In fact nothing is a scam, if you think about it.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

"oh no they've put mines down what will we d-" *goes in literally any direction because IT'S FUUUUUUUCKING SPAAACE!*

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

"oh no they've put mines down what will we d-" *goes in literally any direction because IT'S FUUUUUUUCKING SPAAACE!*

To be fair, mines can work in a space game if for instance travel is funneled through wormholes/gates or the like, places that can actually work as chokepoints. One of the best missions of Freespace 2 is built on this premise.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

The magic, infinitely scaling server tech is in the vague, distant future? You don't say...

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
It looks like the rear end end of a Diamondback Explorer welded to the front of a Python.

Erenthal posted:

To be fair, mines can work in a space game if for instance travel is funneled through wormholes/gates or the like, places that can actually work as chokepoints. One of the best missions of Freespace 2 is built on this premise.

Deepspace 9 did this well once. As it is, lol spacemines.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I'm pretty sure the cost of these oh so well thought out items will be crippling.

I'm sure there is already fevered theory crafting on how to deploy these mines. Though I'm also sure they will gloss over the fact to have any meaningful coverage the numbers that will need to be deployed will be mind numbing.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

In Elite: Dangerous when mines were introduced they were good against AI because you could drop mines while being chased and the AI ships would just run straight into them. Pretty sure that doesn't work as well any more tho.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i will drop my spacemines on an enemy playe base on some backwater planet in the outer rims.
i dont mind if the travel there costs me several days. because space is huuuge and travelling should take long.
i will then progress to rebuilt the base with my construction yard ship (which i am sure will be available soon).
once i have my factories set up (and minions working for me 24/7, sidenote: i will treat my npc slaves with the same respect as human workers) i will proceed to building a fierce army of battlemechs ( i though about some atlasses and timber wolfs).
the first TV van that passes by i will take hostage and force him to broadcast a video signal to the inner sphere:

"you better poo poo your pants immediatly, because soon all your base are belong to us!"

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

Bumble He posted:

i will drop my spacemines on an enemy playe base on some backwater planet in the outer rims.
i dont mind if the travel there costs me several days. because space is huuuge and travelling should take long.
i will then progress to rebuilt the base with my construction yard ship (which i am sure will be available soon).
once i have my factories set up (and minions working for me 24/7, sidenote: i will treat my npc slaves with the same respect as human workers) i will proceed to building a fierce army of battlemechs ( i though about some atlasses and timber wolfs).
the first TV van that passes by i will take hostage and force him to broadcast a video signal to the inner sphere:

"you better poo poo your pants immediatly, because soon all your base are belong to us!"

The part about factories make me think that someone should probably show Satisfactory to Chris at some point.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

This guy doesn't understand fidelity development.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

smokescreens in space with mines.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Just like Enron or Theranos wasn't scams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:negative:

The word "scam" appears 84 times in the comments section :lol: