Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

The Fool posted:

I'm betting blaster worm

It was a few years after blaster. I don't remember the exact name as I have successfully drank away most of that particular set of memories. Someone let something bad into the network, AV woke up and blew it away, taking a critical DLL with it. This was before ransomware was really a thing fortunately.

My team wasn't even responsible for fixing it, but the helpdesk folks weren't able to figure it out so I started experimenting on my machine and fixed it locally. From there, we started cloning CDs and touching workstations until we'd hit every machine in the bank.

It was a very long day but hey, I got a spot bonus and a nice dinner out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The amount I have heard this guy on another team say how he doesn't have enough time to learn PowerShell so he's just going to do and touch every PC/mailbox/DL/whatever individually through a GUI drives me crazy. He'd honestly rather spend a day walking a floor than spending half a day writing and testing a script and then 30 minutes deploying it, and then take another day next time a similar request comes up rather than another 30 minutes of deployment - not needing to learn how to script over again.

If it works for him then great but I keep trying to let him know that one day he's going to start missing deadlines as everybody around him just gets stuff done, and then it will be too late.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Gotta get your steps in, right?

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful

nullfunction posted:

It was a few years after blaster. I don't remember the exact name as I have successfully drank away most of that particular set of memories. Someone let something bad into the network, AV woke up and blew it away, taking a critical DLL with it. This was before ransomware was really a thing fortunately.

My team wasn't even responsible for fixing it, but the helpdesk folks weren't able to figure it out so I started experimenting on my machine and fixed it locally. From there, we started cloning CDs and touching workstations until we'd hit every machine in the bank.

It was a very long day but hey, I got a spot bonus and a nice dinner out of it.

Why didn't you have a method of pushing the dll over the network? Were they dead in the water completely?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Methanar fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Aug 24, 2019

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Da fuq?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Lmao

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
lmao

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

TheFace posted:

Why didn't you have a method of pushing the dll over the network? Were they dead in the water completely?

The machines were dead otherwise we would have. I think we had to boot them to safe mode or something, but time and beers have not done much to improve my memory.

This was around 10 years ago and long before this particular bank implemented any kind of automated imaging. I assume they're at that point now, but I do know they got crypto-ed a couple of years ago, much to my amusement.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

The amount I have heard this guy on another team say how he doesn't have enough time to learn PowerShell so he's just going to do and touch every PC/mailbox/DL/whatever individually through a GUI drives me crazy. He'd honestly rather spend a day walking a floor than spending half a day writing and testing a script and then 30 minutes deploying it, and then take another day next time a similar request comes up rather than another 30 minutes of deployment - not needing to learn how to script over again.

If it works for him then great but I keep trying to let him know that one day he's going to start missing deadlines as everybody around him just gets stuff done, and then it will be too late.

Im the only powershell toucher on my team, because the other two will only use linux and or python. Although there might be some irony that one of our deployment scripts is a python script that runs a powershell script.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I'm the powershell guy on our team as well, with a Python guy and a Linux guy. And a Cisco guy but nobody really talks to him.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Antioch posted:

I'm the powershell guy on our team as well, with a Python guy and a Linux guy. And a Cisco guy but nobody really talks to him.

As long as you're talking over him, it's fine.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
Any goons at vmworld this week?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I'm not, but my team is, and we won an award for dumping a bunch of money in VMware's lap being one of the most technologically innovative shops in the world.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Aug 26, 2019

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

he's gunning for management

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
The next device your C level is going to demand you place on the network

https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/26/20832925/google-chromebook-enterprise-dell-laptops-microsoft-windows-challenge-businesses

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Chromebooks are much safer and easier to manage than Windows machines.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

What is the issue exactly? They look fine.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

If we were a gsuite customer, I'd be all over something like this.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I know it's just going from one massive corporation to another but for some reason a Google OS creeps me out a little bit. Implicit in this comment is that I trust Microsoft more, which also seems like a bad idea.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Just accept that they're all bad ideas and pick the one that let's you sleep at night.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

The Fool posted:

chromebooks in the streets, microsoft bi in the sheets.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

The Fool posted:

One of the suite of products I support is adding GSuite support soon so I suppose I'll be seeing more of these.

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 26, 2019

The Dreamer
Oct 15, 2013

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
I wish they would just add ChromeOS device support for Intune so we could more easily manage the ones we have. We're starting to push out cellular Chromebooks to some of our users as replacements for their iPads. So far so good, but they aren't able to use Android App version of the M365 software because conditional access is blocking their logins. Our conditional access rules block any mobile device not enrolled via Intune.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Going from geek squad tier support to an L3 server/network team in a month and absolutely making GBS threads myself.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

ChubbyThePhat posted:

:yotj:

Internal move success. Posting went up for a position on our security team a few weeks ago and I just got the news that my butt will be filling that chair.

Talked money today. 20k flat increase up to a maximum of 45k depending on bonus payouts. Bonuses are tiered and well defined.

Overall quite happy with this move up.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Woof Blitzer posted:

Going from geek squad tier support to an L3 server/network team in a month and absolutely making GBS threads myself.

Fake it till you make it. If you need help with something ask. It'll take 90 days before you start to feel like you belong, and probably 6-9 months to feel comfortable with things.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I'm also in Tier 2 looking to be my group's L3 but I was also approached by another department and would be a lateral move.

Make 15-20k more or keep doing what I'm comfortable with is what's in my head now.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Take the cash. If it was 6K I could see, but you don't leave 20K on the table

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I've been faking it for 15 years, don't worry about it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Always keep learning new things

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

e: double post

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Always be learning. Also take the cash.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Yeah poo poo if you L3-hopefuls ask questions in here, I'm hoping to learn something myself.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Thanks to the recent talk about password managers I have been going through and adding all our passwords to keepass and have come to the conclusion that most people are complete idiots who should not be allowed to set a password in anty way shape or form.

Even the IT staff who should know better set such bullshit weakass passwords its legit scary.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Passw0rd!

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

It was to be 16 characters minimum.

Passw0rd!Passw0rd!

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Sepist posted:

Passw0rd!Passw0rd!

I encrypt my passwords with the Little Caesars Cipher

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

That's a funny way of saying password123

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

NPR Journalizard posted:

Thanks to the recent talk about password managers I have been going through and adding all our passwords to keepass and have come to the conclusion that most people are complete idiots who should not be allowed to set a password in anty way shape or form.

Even the IT staff who should know better set such bullshit weakass passwords its legit scary.

Yuuuuup