Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Inceltown posted:

Brie Larson is not Alison Brie.

Don't worry, this one took me a minute too. (This may not be reassuring, as probably 80% of my posts in here are me being confused by actors.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Inceltown posted:

There is also basically nothing but ocean between Antarctica and Iceland.

The oceans are absurdly large. You can't even get an idea of how big they are by standing on the shore and looking out over them.

They're huge.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Samovar posted:

Check this out:

In Swedish, the word for 'same/similar' is 'samma', i.e. to say 'the same' you say 'detsamma'.

And the verb to live/reside is 'bor', e.g. I live in Sweden is 'Jag bor i Sverige'. Also, it's common to drop the r, so it sounds similar to 'boh'

Therefore, the Swedish word for a live-in partner, or a person you share a flat with is regrettably 'Sambo'.

My favourite Swedish word is blandband which means "mixtape".

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Don't worry, this one took me a minute too. (This may not be reassuring, as probably 80% of my posts in here are me being confused by actors.)

Two of the same types of cheese that both starred in Community is too confusing.

Today I just learned how the Koch family got started
https://twitter.com/beccalew/status/1164967949565739009

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

FreudianSlippers posted:

My favourite Swedish word is blandband which means "mixtape".

Which is a calque aka a loan translation. The parts are translated and combined again to become a new word/expression: Bland (mixed like in blended) + band (strip/tape/string like in bound/bind)

some other calques:
- English "flea market" from French marché aux puces (market with fleas, because of the ratty old clothes etc).
- Danish "børnehave" from German Kindergarten (child's garden, the English is a plain old loanword)
- Danish "udelukkende" from Latin ex-clusive ("out-closing/out-shutting", literally leaving it outside)
- English "beer garden" from German Biergarten (you get it)

Once you start to look, there's a whole lot to be found.

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 00:28 on Aug 24, 2019

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Inceltown posted:

Two of the same types of cheese that both starred in Community is too confusing.

Today I just learned how the Koch family got started
https://twitter.com/beccalew/status/1164967949565739009

Fred Koch also built refineries for the Soviets. He apparently regretted it after Stalin purged many of the engineers Koch trained :commissar:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
That's called not wanting to be on the losing side

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Milo and POTUS posted:

That's called not wanting to be on the losing side

its called many things but its name is collaborating.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Krankenstyle posted:

Which is a calque aka a loan translation. The parts are translated and combined again to become a new word/expression: Bland (mixed like in blended) + band (strip/tape/string like in bound/bind)

some other calques:
- English "flea market" from French marché aux puces (market with fleas, because of the ratty old clothes etc).
- Danish "børnehave" from German Kindergarten (child's garden, the English is a plain old loanword)
- Danish "udelukkende" from Latin ex-clusive ("out-closing/out-shutting", literally leaving it outside)
- English "beer garden" from German Biergarten (you get it)

Once you start to look, there's a whole lot to be found.

English "long time no see" from Chinese 好久不见 hao jiu bu jian, word for word "good long [time] not see", which is perfectly fine, grammatically correct Chinese and I think made its way to English via pidgin spoken by Chinese migrant laborers in the 19th? century. There are a few others from Chinese:

Look-see from 看见 kan jian, fairly standard grammatical structure in Chinese, hard to explain but 见 (see) is a complement to the verb 看 (look) indicating the result. If you are looking for something but you don't see it, you insert 不 bu (not): 看不见 is literally look-not-see. There are a bunch of verbs you can do this with. 听懂 ting dong means to understand what you are hearing. If you stick a 不 in there, you get 听不懂 ting bu dong, which means "don't understand", specifically for spoken language.

Note: romanized words are standard Mandarin pronunciation, minus tone marks because I don't know how to do that on my phone.

In looking this up, I just learned that "brainwashing" came from Chinese:

Wikipedia posted:

The Chinese term xǐnăo (洗脑,literally "wash brain") was originally used to describe the coercive persuasion used under the Maoist government in China, which aimed to transform "reactionary" people into "right-thinking" members of the new Chinese social system. The term punned on the Taoist custom of "cleansing / washing the heart / mind" (xǐxīn,洗心) before conducting ceremonies or entering holy places.

The Oxford English Dictionary records the earliest known English-language usage of the word "brainwashing" in an article by newspaperman Edward Hunter, in Miami News, published on 24 September 1950. Hunter was an outspoken anticommunist and was alleged to be a CIA agent working undercover as a journalist. Hunter and others used the Chinese term to explain why, during the Korean War (1950-1953), some American prisoners of war (POWs) cooperated with their Chinese captors, even in a few cases defected to their side. British radio operator Robert W. Ford and British army Colonel James Carne also claimed that the Chinese subjected them to brainwashing techniques during their war-era imprisonment.

Bit of history behind that term.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

In a lieu of a dedicated mondegreen thread: I now know the line is "weak are ripped and torn away", but I still keep thinking it's "we gon' rip the dawn away".

e: Should I post a mondegreen thread? y/n

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 15:50 on Aug 24, 2019

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Hyperlynx posted:

In a lieu of a dedicated mondegreen thread: I now know the line is "weak are ripped and torn away", but I still keep thinking it's "we gon' rip the dawn away".

e: Should I post a mondegreen thread? y/n

Maybe you should identify the song for all those other people who don't know the obvious song you're talking about.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Beachcomber posted:

Maybe you should identify the song for all those other people who don't know the obvious song you're talking about.

Battery by Metallica

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Memento posted:

Battery by Metallica

Which correctly popped up in the recent ‘songs that don’t quite live up to their amazing intros’ thread.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
I've watched the intro to X-Men The Animated Series hundreds of times. But it took me until today to realise that when Beast is introduced his name has the word 'The' next to it, so it's 'The Beast' rather than just 'Beast'.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Torquemada posted:

Which correctly popped up in the recent ‘songs that don’t quite live up to their amazing intros’ thread.

:wrong:

Battery owns

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Recently noticed almost all of my t-shirts have an interior tag near the bottom on the left side, which makes it easy to never put them on backwards again.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

:crossarms:

and the intro is the best bit!

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Eclipse12 posted:

Recently noticed almost all of my t-shirts have an interior tag near the bottom on the left side, which makes it easy to never put them on backwards again.

I've been using that for years. It is an embarrassment saver. Although sometimes I put a shirt on inside our and backwards instead.

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

Just found out you can use smilies from the SA app in texts to friends on my iphone. i love it when my goon life and my real life intertwine.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Aleph Null posted:

I've been using that for years. It is an embarrassment saver. Although sometimes I put a shirt on inside our and backwards instead.

Sometimes I just put my t-shirt on backwards and wear it that way all day on purpose because gently caress your rules.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

My Shoes posted:

Just found out you can use smilies from the SA app in texts to friends on my iphone. i love it when my goon life and my real life intertwine.

How?

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

I only know it works with iphone but if you have the awful app and you go to write a text, the awful app icon will pop up in your scroll bar below the line where you type your text (along with all other applicable apps like youtube, photos, itunes, etc). If you just click on that awful app icon there all the smilies pop up. :)

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

You can’t really add them directly to texts though, they’re posted individually. Unless there’s something I’m doing wrong?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
But can I add them to tweets?

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

You can’t really add them directly to texts though, they’re posted individually. Unless there’s something I’m doing wrong?

You have to add the smilie first and then type the text. You can't add after you type text from what I can tell.

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

christmas boots posted:

But can I add them to tweets?

What? This social media fad is still going on?

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

My Shoes posted:

I only know it works with iphone but if you have the awful app and you go to write a text, the awful app icon will pop up in your scroll bar below the line where you type your text (along with all other applicable apps like youtube, photos, itunes, etc). If you just click on that awful app icon there all the smilies pop up. :)

Rats, doesn't work on android.

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

Patrick Spens posted:

Rats, doesn't work on android.

sorry dude

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Liza Minnelli is Judy Garland's daughter.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

This guy is not wearing a black shirt tucked into white trousers, with a tan belt:

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

This guy is not wearing a black shirt tucked into white trousers, with a tan belt:

This guy is not wearing a black crop top and high waisted white pants

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

bell jar posted:

This guy is not wearing a black crop top and high waisted white pants

Wait then what in all the hecks is he wearing :confused:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Jerry Cotton posted:

Wait then what in all the hecks is he wearing :confused:

3 tone polo, or possibly a dress

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

My Shoes posted:

I just did this and holy gently caress thank you. Now I can be an even bigger weirdo to all my coworkers and friends.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

IIRC people not using iOS won't see them at all, which can kind of inadvertently change the tone of your text messages.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

IIRC people not using iOS won't see them at all, which can kind of inadvertently change the tone of your text messages.

Loaming at the idea of conversing with people who use ITunes.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Jerry Cotton posted:

Loaming at the idea of conversing with people who use ITunes.

please do jerry, the earth needs it

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I don't think they're sent as the same way an emoji is. They're just sent as a .jpg or whatever just like if you were to send a photo.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

From my understanding if you aren't using iMessage you aren't worth talking to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Dr Christmas posted:

Liza Minnelli is Judy Garland's daughter.

Now go and listen to Loudon Wainright's song Liza.