Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Portland police are basically a fascist paramilitary org at this point, given they continue to literally provide intel and special access to fascists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Sounds like we need to make a law so that giving preferential protection to domestic terrorists is against the law

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Lmao. Don’t worry though, they’re about to declare that being anti fascism is terrorism. I’m sure they’ll get around to declaring right wing terrorism kinda a problem any day now though.

That’s why I’m both pro hate speech controls like they have in Germany but against it only here in the US right now.

The only people who will be actually prosecuted for hate speech will be those speaking against actual hate speech.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Any day now.

Yep. After the whole bit where a bunch of right wingers staged an armed occupation of federal property and threatened to shoot the feds a couple years ago, it's definitely 'any day now'.

As a reminder, they did over $2 million worth of damages to that wildlife refuge during a six week armed standoff, including trying to destroy native burial grounds, and the worst any of them got was 21 months in jail. The majority got probation only and the leaders were tried and acquitted.

quote:

By February 11, all of the militants had surrendered or withdrawn from the occupation, with several leaders having been arrested after leaving the site; one of them, Robert LaVoy Finicum, was shot and killed during an attempt to arrest him after he reached toward a handgun concealed in his pocket after he tried to evade a roadblock; Ryan Bundy was wounded. More than two dozen of the militants were charged with federal offenses including conspiracy to obstruct federal officers, firearms violations, theft, and depredation of federal property. By August 2017, a dozen had pleaded guilty, and six of those had been sentenced to 1–2 years probation, some including house arrest. Seven others, including Ammon and Ryan Bundy, were tried and acquitted of all federal charges. Four more had been found guilty and were sentenced months later: Jake Ryan and Duane Ehmer each received 366 days in prison, with Ryan additionally getting three years of supervised probation. Darryl Thorn received 18 months on November 21, 2017. Jason Patrick received 21 months on February 15, 2018.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

You go out of your way to paint yourself as a hero cop when you're just a piece of poo poo pig

Dude.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

I mainly post about football and how everyone should smoke weed. If that makes me a hero, then I'm the hero GiP deserves.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

We have a 12-78. Assaulting an officer with a deadly weapon. Time to break out the mraps we've been taking from the army to give to the pigs.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Stravag posted:

We have a 12-78. Assaulting an officer with a deadly weapon. Time to break out the mraps we've been taking from the army to give to the pigs.

Jokes on them, I know for a fact I've never returned an MRAP that works. Let alone starts...

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

How about departments de-militarize? You don't need IED-resistant vehicles, and the operator chic needs to go away from SWAT units. When I see a cop, the things that stand out most are the big yellow taser and any moto poo poo they have on. I don't want to go talk to somebody loaded for bear, that's scary. Even 20th's century era NYPD uniformed cops look more approachable for directions or help than today's comparable beat outfits.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

EBB posted:

How about departments de-militarize? You don't need IED-resistant vehicles, and the operator chic needs to go away from SWAT units. When I see a cop, the things that stand out most are the big yellow taser and any moto poo poo they have on. I don't want to go talk to somebody loaded for bear, that's scary. Even 20th's century era NYPD uniformed cops look more approachable for directions or help than today's comparable beat outfits.

Yep. The ACLU did a report on this a few years ago, and it's only gotten worse. The War on Drugs created justification and the War on Terror opened up budgets and provided an excuse to militarize further.

quote:

Our analysis shows that the militarization of American policing is evident in the training that police officers receive, which encourages them to adopt a “warrior” mentality and think of the people they are supposed to serve as enemies, as well as in the equipment they use, such as battering rams, flashbang grenades, and APCs. This shift in culture has been buoyed by the U.S. Supreme Court’s weakening of the Fourth Amendment (which protects the right to privacy in one’s home) through a series of decisions that have given the police increased authority to force their way into people’s homes, often in drug cases.

Additionally, solving the problem of police militarization requires discussion of how SWAT teams should be appropriately used and when their deployment is counterproductive and dangerous. Even though paramilitary policing in the form of SWAT teams was created to deal with emergency scenarios such as hostage or barricade situations, the use of SWAT to execute search warrants in drug investigations has become commonplace and made up the overwhelming majority of incidents the ACLU reviewed—79 percent of the incidents the ACLU studied involved the use of a SWAT team to search a person’s home, and more than 60 percent of the cases involved searches for drugs. The use of a SWAT team to execute a search warrant essentially amounts to the use of paramilitary tactics to conduct domestic criminal investigations in searches of people’s homes.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I watched some jackass SWAT team roll through town in a MaxxPro the other day.

Cops don't need loving MaxxPros.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

EBB posted:

I agree with this. All the cops on this forum do. The taser is an important tool though, though I think departments should make the use of it more restrictive than it appears to be in some of the videos I've seen.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Most departments don't seem to be trained that the taser is a less-lethal weapon, not a non-lethal pain compliance device.

It is less likely to kill someone than a bullet or a few whacks upside the head with a truncheon, but it definitely isn't safe.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

https://twitter.com/drewtoothpaste/status/1164723934803218432

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
https://twitter.com/stjbs/status/1164968595031560192

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Good. gently caress that guy. DA needs to clean house in Houston Narcotics.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Reminder: A boombox is not a toy.

https://twitter.com/nbcnewyork/status/1164227258879553536

Also IMO anyone still down for a quintuple-dicking at 85 deserves a medal not a record.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Bored As gently caress posted:

Good. gently caress that guy. DA needs to clean house in Houston Narcotics.

Houstonian here. What's bad is that historically, the DA's office here is at least as bad, if not worse than our police. Our cops seem relatively corruption and scandal free compared to a lot of cities, but if anything it's because the DA doesn't do poo poo to pursue anything the PD does.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

The Wichita Police have novel way to prevent another 'SWATing' accident. Rather than be competent they are pushing responsibility back to the public.

http://www.kake.com/story/40956830/wichita-police-launch-swatting-alert-system

"Sedgwick County will make reasonable efforts to convey the information provided above to field personnel. However, due to the rapidly evolving nature of many emergency situations, Sedgwick County does not guarantee that such information will be relayed to any or all field personnel who may be involved in call responses. Nor does Sedgwick County guarantee a specific response and/or action by field personnel based upon the information herein submitted."

But it's still your fault if you open the door.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

MonkeyWash posted:

The Wichita Police have novel way to prevent another 'SWATing' accident. Rather than be competent they are pushing responsibility back to the public.

http://www.kake.com/story/40956830/wichita-police-launch-swatting-alert-system

"Sedgwick County will make reasonable efforts to convey the information provided above to field personnel. However, due to the rapidly evolving nature of many emergency situations, Sedgwick County does not guarantee that such information will be relayed to any or all field personnel who may be involved in call responses. Nor does Sedgwick County guarantee a specific response and/or action by field personnel based upon the information herein submitted."

But it's still your fault if you open the door.

I mean yeah, please stop killing unarmed civillians, but also a "hey, I have 12,000 followers on a video game streaming vitriol filled cesspool of a website and internet assholes are more likely to SWAT me, please call before shooting my dog because you think you're saving my life" form isn't necessarily a bad idea.

This Week in Tech was just talking about the time they got SWATTed, a couple of plains clothes detectives stopped by the studio first and went, "Hey, is everything cool over here?" My theory on why they got that treatment was because they were a clearly a studio and people probably didn't come up with the idea of false police reports in the 21.1st century.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Cross posting a cop story from another thread:

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Well atleast he turned himself into a good cop temporarily

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Competing for the Pryzbylewski-award for excellence, I see.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Edit: Oh drat I didn't read all of them at first, gently caress that guy.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Aug 26, 2019

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

What the gently caress

hot sorcery
Apr 11, 2009

what do our boys in blue have to say about pantaleo's firing? After Pantaleo, Wary N.Y.P.D. Officers Say No One Has Their Backs

the cops... they are too scared to assault:

quote:

“They’ve created a whole breed of cop who is afraid to put their hands on people,” a sergeant said. “They created a breed of cop that is just petrified.”
a good & normal propaganda campaign:

quote:

“It used to be ‘How many summons did you write?’” said another veteran sergeant, who, like most of the officers interviewed for this article, spoke on the condition of anonymity for fear of repercussions at work. “Now it’s, ‘How many community visits did you have? How many uploads to Twitter or Facebook do you have? Did you go into the dry cleaner’s and shake his hand and put it on Twitter?’”
surprisingly, cops are on board the ACAB bandwagon:

quote:

“I don’t think anyone who’s been an active cop looks at that situation and thinks that situation had been handled poorly,” one veteran detective said. “I think anybody thinks they could be in that situation.”

quote:

“I’ve done the same thing in the past,” one police officer at the lunch admitted. “The only difference is it wasn’t on video and nobody died.”
~the troops~ lmao

quote:

“I think the commissioner basically caved,” the veteran detective said. “That’s a really bad message to send to the troops.”
and the one cop quoted who was critical of pantaleo is all about more 👏 women 👏 cops:

quote:

“I promise you, Eric Garner would be alive today if they’d sent two women to arrest him,”
in summary: yikes

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

"I, as a peace officer of the community, am actually expected to interact with the community? Well I never." *goes back to writing tickets for 5 over"

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Well what do you expect when they've spent decades simmering in their imaginary War on Cops stew.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Man it must suck to possibly face repurcussions when you murder people. My heart weeps.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
It really would be nice if police listened to the communities they policed or came from them.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

This is Obama's cop-hating legacy

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

We lost a hero

https://workingclasshistory.com/2019/08/26/negro-matapacos-chiles-riot-dog/

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I'm just going to keep posting this stuff because screaming into the void keeps me from sticking my head in a woodchipper for another hour.

https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1167189416135286785?s=20

quote:

Two former New York City police officers who admitted to having sex with an 18-year-old woman who accused them of raping her while she was under arrest and handcuffed in their police van reportedly took a plea deal to avoid jail time, The New York Post reports. Eddie Martins and Richard Hall pleaded guilty in Brooklyn Supreme Court on Thursday to 11 counts of receiving bribes and misdemeanor official misconduct, Martins' lawyer told the newspaper. Under the plea deal, the two men will serve five years of probation but no jail time. According to the lawyer, the victim was not notified of the deal—but her lawyer said his client was outraged when notified by the Post. “They’re getting away with rape,” attorney Michael David said “They raped my client and they’re not getting any jail time?... That’s outrageous."

Martins and Hall admitted they had sex with the then-18-year-old after a drug bust on Coney Island in 2017, though they insisted the encounter was consensual and the teenager was not handcuffed. The two men originally faced rape and kidnapping charges, but those were dropped earlier this year.

hot sorcery
Apr 11, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

I'm just going to keep posting this stuff because screaming into the void keeps me from sticking my head in a woodchipper for another hour.

https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1167189416135286785?s=20
absolutely loving disgusting

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Wouldnt you know it we have a smilie just for this

:pigoff:

But i remember when this broke. There were a lot of pig defenders talking about if she consented while being arrested it shouldnt be considered rape. Unless im thinking of a different time that cops got caught having sex with someone they were arresting at the time. Its entirely possible. Its not like theres only a few bad apples.

Edit: nvm

Stravag fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 30, 2019

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 14, 2022

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Yeah. The people who are ok with it seem to not notice how there would be an issue there

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
Cross posting from the Baltimore LAN thread:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Stravag posted:

Yeah. The people who are ok with it seem to not notice how there would be an issue there

Same people who I'm sure don't believe duress is a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 14, 2022