Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Be sure to read 1493 as well, it’s just as good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

As well as 1421, which I'm sure you will find very interesting.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Don't accidentally buy the book 1492, which sucks.

ed. It's possible that it doesn't suck and I just thought it did when I was 19 and disappointed because I thought it was the sequel of 1491

Grevling has issued a correction as of 06:30 on Aug 23, 2019

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

As well as 1421, which I'm sure you will find very interesting.

Nah that one is horseshit, Menzies claims that the Chinese first settled North America on the Pacific Coast, but it is obvious that they had actually settled on the Atlantic coast. Everything else is correct though.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

twoday posted:

Be sure to read 1493 as well, it’s just as good

Yeah i’ve been meaning to read that one! glad to hear it’s just as good

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Ghostlight posted:

Here's the thing.

Why would he do that?

What's the actual connection between the reported colour of a god and early explorers? The Hindu have gods with blue, yellow, and green skins but strangely enough there's no concerted effort to use those to argue that people of these colours once existed within India - they are recognised to merely be symbolic of the character or domain of those deities. What impulse is it that gives rise to the seemingly uniquely European impulse to connect the whiteness of mythical characters to their own likeness?
It seems that wherever there is whiteness, there must have been Europeans; yet wherever there is blackness it is merely a manifestation of the primordial fear of all men from before our mastery of fire.

That's before you even get into the fact that all accounts of Viracocha's whiteness are written by the conquering Spaniards or post-colonial.

My understanding is, there are accounts from the 18th hundred from european explorers which claimed to have encountered island tribes of people with beard and whiter (not white) skin than those around and he thought they might have been the people from those legends.

Wheter those claims are true or not, i dont know. Im really only starting to learn about south america because thats a subject that wasnt taught at all back when i was in school.

Dalael has issued a correction as of 13:55 on Aug 23, 2019

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Dalael posted:

*edit: Like, don't get me wrong, maybe he was a racist guy. Maybe he did think of the superiority of white guys or some other bullshit. I don't know enough (ie never read his book) but in everything i've read about him, nothing ever left me the impression that he was the intense racist you make him out to be.

*edit2: Also I don't know why the gently caress you make such a big deal about it. I wasn't praising the guy, I only mentioned that his expedition proved that ancient boats could cross oceans and his views on races doesn't change that fact regardless of how much you bitch about it.

*edit: One more thing, i am not claiming that his expedition proved they did cross oceans. Only that it was possible.

loving this rare 3 edit "no u mad" post

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Dalael posted:

My understanding is, there are accounts from the 18th hundred from european explorers which claimed to have encountered island tribes of people with beard and whiter (not white) skin than those around and he thought they might have been the people from those legends.

Wheter those claims are true or not, i dont know. Im really only starting to learn about south america because thats a subject that wasnt taught at all back when i was in school.

Accounts from european explorers should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
This is A Good Thread after seeing some Graham Hancock and Randall Carlson episodes of the JRE podcast. I find their Younger Dryas theories both intriguing and terrifying, but it's obvious interviews that everyone involved has done a lot of drugs :catdrugs:

I find the notion that 'ancient' people (10k years isn't that long developmentally speaking afaict) weren't naturally curious and creative creatures absurd. The fact were just now finding even older artifacts and sites (Göbekli Tepe for exanple) really leads me to believe we do not collectively know as much as we've convinced ourselves we do. What is the current thinking on that site anyways? Hancock is great at bringing it to my attention but starts losing me on his 'ancient university' theory.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I don't think it's really that strange that technological developments took such a long time, things just seem very obvious in hindsight. They probably didn't even need to plant seeds for example, as I understand it it's not thought that the first cultivators in Mesopotamia had been living off wild grasses for a long time already once they figured out how to sow. Other technologies like metal smelting must have been discovered through some extreme serendipity, who would even think of heating up rocks to a temperature that a normal cooking fire doesn't even burn at? Later the ancient Greeks discovered steam power but only used it for a toy, it either didn't occur to anyone that this could be used to power an engine, or maybe just didn't see a need for something like that. What we know now is crazy enough, like how maize was bred over hundreds of years from a plant which hardly has any value as food and is wind pollinated, so that it would be extremely hard to isolate the new breeds that you want to keep.

Grevling has issued a correction as of 16:54 on Aug 23, 2019

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the romans built a mechanical computer out of a cam shaft and used it to make penny arcade attractions
the Mesopotamians invented voltaic batteries and used them to scare people that touched religious artifacts

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!
twoday made a good post about the noble savage myth that I'd like to add onto a bit, by discussing a parallel bit of mythology in the Neo-Rousseauian idea of "the peaceful savage." This is the idea that ancient peoples, and various indigenous ones living more recently, weren't particularly violent and didn't fight with one another until the coming of some arbitrarily defined level of civilization made resource- and ideologically-driven conflicts occur. There was a pretty broad level of support for this idea, or some version of it, in anthropology and archeology as recently as the mid-1990s, when a new generation of anthropologists and archeologists took a new look at old evidence which quite clearly indicated significant levels of organized violence in pre-civilized peoples, but which had either been creatively interpreted to mean something else, ignored, or in some cases outright suppressed. Ancient peoples were, we know now, just as if not more inclined toward organized violence as we are now. For a great examination of both the evidence supporting this reinterpretation, and the reasons why the peaceful savage myth existed in the first place, I highly recommend Lawrence Keely's War Before Civilization: the Myth of the Peaceful Savage (short version: after WWII western academics were traumatized by the experience of the world wars and cast about desperately for some previous era that demonstrated humanity's "true" nature, and imposed imagined pacifist virtues on ancient peoples in an assumed state of nature, then interpreted all evidence to fall in line with those assumptions).

Captain_Maclaine has issued a correction as of 18:31 on Aug 23, 2019

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

all the enlightenment takes on the state of nature are ripped wholesale out of lucretius without attribution and then altered to suit the authors goals

lucretius owns by the by. need to effort post soon on his DRN but suffice to say ancient quantum physics and theories of evolution own

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

It's also important remember the context in which these theories of the "peaceful savage" arose. in the mid-20th century it was still normal for governments to actively try to destroy "backwards" or tribal or nomadic minorities. The obvious examples are the Indian boarding schools in North America, but we see basically identical evil attitudes on display in the policies of European governments towards for example the Sami and Romani, and in places like Iran and the Soviet Union with their efforts to forcefully settle nomads.

Contemporary anthropolists had front row seats to the death, misery, and senselessness of these cruel policies and were basically yelling "for the love of god STOP" with all their breath. This produced a concerted effort to push back against the then common characterization of these minorities as primitive, violent and backwards. In some cases they went too far. However they also made a lot of good points. In particular, while violence was normal in most societies prior to modernization, first contact with colonial powers often destabilized traditional patterns of life that had controlled conflict, and the destabilization could produce awful consequences which racist whites might then blame on the victims.

An example of the unintended consequences of colonialism comes from the Victorian trade in native body parts. Fascinated with tattoos and skull binding, it became fashionable in the late 19th century to collect mummified bodies, tanned human hides and etc. Sometimes they would be purchased from the owner while they still lived, and arranged to be transported after death.

However the way in which body parts were obtained was not usually a concern of collectors. This caused serious trouble in places like the Peruvian Amazon when western explorers discovered the Jivaroan practice of creating shrunken heads. The heads were traditionally collected in the course of small scale feuds and tribal warfare, and sparked sensational demand for the objects within western markets. A brisk trade quickly sprung into existence, with guns, machetes, and other modern manufactured goods exchanged for human heads.

While the Jivaroan had since times immemorial engaged in headhunting and warfare, now they could expect a hefty bounty for every head taken. Fueled with newly plentiful modern firearms, now men were fighting and killing not just to settle personal vendettas, but with the expectation of profit for every person killed. Predictibly this led to massive increase in warfare and violence to a scale never before seen. While this violence was contained to indigenous communities deep within the Amazonian jungle collectors were more-or-less oblivious to the bloody fruits of their curio cabinets.

However when the heads of Indian warriors began to become scarce, the headhunters expanded their list of targets. First to include Indian women, who previously had never been used to create shrunken heads. What really caught people's attention though was when the Jivaroan began targeting the neighboring mestizo communities, and entrepreneurial Peruvian traders unable to satisfy their buyers demand began manufacturing their own shrunken heads, killing or stealing bodies themselves. This finally got the head trade banned, although an underground market continued for many years.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Dalael posted:

Sure, but there is no documentation of those legends existing before the Spanish, which is somewhat notable because the Inca were not a preliterate society and there are many carvings of Viracocha and descriptions of him. Even if they did, there is no reason to assume that the appearance of a single god who departed to the west - not a "race of gods" "from the north" as Heyedahl says - was a historical record of people visiting the Inca. He lies or is misinformed about Roggeveen's accounts of the Easter Islanders being "white", as they are described as "sallow".

Heyerdahl starts with the same framework that all Atlantean conspiracy theorists do: that there is a developmental lag in the New World that can be succinctly explained only through the influence of the civilising Old World, and his examination of evidence takes place exclusively within this framework. The presence of beards and skin colour variance between geographically distinct islands simply must be the genetic traces of the Old World migrants, and cannot be explained any other way, despite the obvious facts of skin colour variance and varying presence of beards across the Old World countries that aren't even geographically isolated from each other. Myths that support the idea of a primeval Old World presence are expanded to be mytho-historical accounts poorly recorded by natives due to their natural incompetence with maintaining verbal histories - those that don't are ignored or excused as just fairytales.

The Patupaiarehe of New Zealand are a light-skinned people with red hair, and obviously are a record of a Norse habitation of the islands for those who - for whatever reason (it's always racism in this case) - are invested in believing the Māori are not the original people of the land. What's discarded is that their size varied across the land - for some tribes they were sprites, others they were giants - and they were rare to see, living in the snowy mountains and most of the time were only heard playing flutes in the twilight hours. They could be kept away by the smell of cooked food and built their homes from mist. To the Māori a red-headed baby - a rare but entirely natural event - was obviously the result of a dalliance with the Patupaiarehe, much the same way that to the Scots the rare but entirely normal event of a baby being born with their face covered by the amniotic membrane was evidence a changeling had swapped out the real baby for a fairy. There's no legends of the Patupaiarehe disappearing or leaving because they were always just as real as the nature spirits who inhabited every body of water granting plenty or taking lives as it pleased them.
The only reason they're interpreted as any other way than just fairyfolk like Changelings or Fomorians is that white people aren't invested in proving they aren't the original people of the British isles.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Squalid posted:

Contemporary anthropolists had front row seats to the death, misery, and senselessness of these cruel policies and were basically yelling "for the love of god STOP" with all their breath. This produced a concerted effort to push back against the then common characterization of these minorities as primitive, violent and backwards. In some cases they went too far. However they also made a lot of good points.

Bartolomé de las Casas who was probably one of the forefathers to the noble savage myth is a good example of this. He tried to stop the enslavement of the native americans and one of his methods was to exaggerate how peaceful and in tune with nature they were.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
so aside from 1491 and 1493 what books should i read?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

What are you interested in

One of my favorite history books is Rubicon by Tom Holland. It doesn't really do any original scholarship but it's an entertaining, well-written narrative of the end of the Roman republic.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Ghostlight posted:

Sure, but there is no documentation of those legends existing before the Spanish, which is somewhat notable because the Inca were not a preliterate society

Has there been some new discoveries on Incan writing I'm not aware of? Last I looked into it, they had sophisticated numerical and recording system but no actual written language.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Has there been some new discoveries on Incan writing I'm not aware of? Last I looked into it, they had sophisticated numerical and recording system but no actual written language.

It remains unclear exactly what quipu are. They were definitely some form of recording device, but were they writing? The distinction I'm making here is that writing maps 1 to 1 to spoken language. You can translate directly between speech and the symbols on the page. Something like mathematical notation, while a useful recording system, isn't writing in that sense.

For those who haven't heard of it, here's what Quipu looks like:

There's an elaborate system of knots on those strings. Spanish accounts leave us in no doubt that they record information in some way. Most of the content of most of the surviving Quipu have been deciphered and conclusively shown to be recording numbers--possibly tax or other financial information. However, most Quipu have some undeciphered content on them, and some of them are entirely undeciphered. Whatever they're recording, it isn't the same notation used in the bits we understand. There's a number of hints that the undeciphered bits might be words--that is, writing as I defined it above--but almost all the evidence is unclear.

If Quipu are indeed not writing then the Incans would probably be the most sophisticated nonliterate empire we're aware of

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

cheetah7071 posted:

It remains unclear exactly what quipu are. They were definitely some form of recording device, but were they writing? The distinction I'm making here is that writing maps 1 to 1 to spoken language. You can translate directly between speech and the symbols on the page. Something like mathematical notation, while a useful recording system, isn't writing in that sense.

For those who haven't heard of it, here's what Quipu looks like:

There's an elaborate system of knots on those strings. Spanish accounts leave us in no doubt that they record information in some way. Most of the content of most of the surviving Quipu have been deciphered and conclusively shown to be recording numbers--possibly tax or other financial information. However, most Quipu have some undeciphered content on them, and some of them are entirely undeciphered. Whatever they're recording, it isn't the same notation used in the bits we understand. There's a number of hints that the undeciphered bits might be words--that is, writing as I defined it above--but almost all the evidence is unclear.

If Quipu are indeed not writing then the Incans would probably be the most sophisticated nonliterate empire we're aware of

I'm familiar with the Quipu and the provocative elements of them we don't understand, but absent some new discovery I don't think it's appropriate to take that further step and claim that they are/must be a coded writing system.

Def. agree that they were one of the most sophisticated societies, regardless of that.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
As with most things the Spansih ended up banning and burning much of the Incan Quipu, although the reasons for it are kinda funny. As the Spanish took control of the Andes and the formal boundaries of the Incan empire, they established their own system of private proprety and judicial courts. Incans began to quickly assert their land rights against the Spanish adventurers who claimed huge chunks of territory that encompassed entire villages, with the natives using the Quipu which were accepted as a form of evidence in these courts. After a few decades of this, pressure was put on the Church, and they declared Quipu unholy objects of heathens and started burning them all. The surviving Quipu we have have been found in buried troves, likely administrative documents. Quipu seem to serve two purposes: accounting/demographics, and storytelling. Sadly we see to have more of the former than the latter.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol

cheetah7071 posted:

What are you interested in

One of my favorite history books is Rubicon by Tom Holland. It doesn't really do any original scholarship but it's an entertaining, well-written narrative of the end of the Roman republic.

twoday's post about carthage really fuckin entranced me, along with all the talk of how developed america was before the genocide. the only ancient history ive really read was snippets of xenophon, and i liked it but felt like i was lacking context. so, civilizations that specifically got killed, or whose history isn't insanely eurocentric. are there good layman works on, like, mansa musa, or the phoenicians, for example?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Carthage Must Be Destroyed is aight, though its neccessarily heavy on the social history over narrative.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Captain_Maclaine posted:

No, you're right. I was thinking of descriptions of Quetzalcoatl - another "white god" - there and subsequently overstating the case for the lack of precolonial sources.

Ghostlight has issued a correction as of 00:21 on Aug 25, 2019

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

1177 B.C.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Alhazred posted:

1177 B.C.

:hmmyes:

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
Do we know how the Polynesians found all those tiny islands? I feel like the chances are slim that they would just find them randomly. Maybe I just don't know how boats work.

twoday
May 4, 2005

It boggles the mind to image that they could have been able to navigate such a vast area of the ocean across generations without the use of maps. However, though they did not have writing as we know it, they were able to do so with the aid of stick charts. That link explains it better than I could.

Also it should be noted that the inhabitants of Easter Island at least did have writing, and that it is one of the last undeciphered scripts in the world. So it's possible that there ancestors did as well, though I don't think there is any evidence of that

twoday has issued a correction as of 14:06 on Aug 25, 2019

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I believe they could hear the waves breaking on the islands from long distances by listening to the bottom of their Reed boat. I don't remember where I read that but I'm sure it is the truth.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Big Dick Cheney posted:

Do we know how the Polynesians found all those tiny islands? I feel like the chances are slim that they would just find them randomly. Maybe I just don't know how boats work.

There are indications of land even when the land itself is below the horizon.

quote:

Signs of land include drifting land vegetation; clouds piled up over islands; the loom above an island created by sunlight or moonlight reflecting up from the white sand and smooth water of a lagoon; distinctive patterns of swells created by swells refracting around and / or reflecting off islands; and seabirds such as the manu-o-Ku (fairy tern) and the noio (noddy tern), which go out to sea in the morning to feed on fish and return to land at night to rest.

The diurnal flights of such birds are the most useful signs for expanding landfall, since their flights to and from an island gives a fairly specific direction to the wayfinder. As the birds leave an island in the morning, the wayfinder can sail in the direction the birds are coming from to find land; as the birds return to an island in the late afternoon, the wayfinder can follow the birds to land.

http://archive.hokulea.com/ike/hookele/locating_land.html

Clouds often form over islands because of updrafts from the heated ground.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I've always found spartan society to be pretty horrifying especially after 300 made them look like the good guys.

Laconic saying are still pretty brutal burns given how Spartans tended to look down on fancy living

quote:

Responding to a visitor who questioned why they put their fields in the hands of the helots rather than cultivate them themselves, Anaxandridas explained, "It was by not taking care of the fields, but of ourselves, that we acquired those fields

After the Greeks ended the threat of the second Persian invasion with their victory at Plataea, the Spartan commander Pausanias ordered that a sumptuous banquet the Persians had prepared be served to him and his officers. "The Persians must be greedy," he remarked, "when, having all this, yet they come to take our barleycakes.

When someone from Argos pointed out that Spartans were susceptible to being corrupted by foreign travel, Eudamidas replied, "But you, when you come to Sparta, do not become worse, but better.

Polycratidas was one of several Spartans sent on a diplomatic mission to some Persian generals, and being asked whether they came in a private or a public capacity, answered, "If we succeed, public; if not, private.

Following the disastrous sea battle of Cyzicus, the admiral Mindarus' first mate dispatched a succinct distress signal to Sparta. The message was intercepted by the Athenians and was recorded by Xenophon in his Hellenica: "Ships gone; Mindarus dead; the men starving; at our wits' end what to do"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
That last one is the 4chan protopost.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

twoday posted:

That's the crux of his grift. He has some interesting ideas, and presents them in a way that will seem interesting to anyone, regardless of how much they know. Then he devotes a lot of time to railing against established academia, to the point that that some of his readers stop trusting all other sources.

In summary, what he's saying is, "look at this, pretty neat, huh? well, actually this is the truth and everyone else is stupid and/or lying." And that's not how knowledge develops. I think it's fine to question things and come up with new ideas. Just yesterday in this thread I was trying to argue that there was a possible trade route of chili peppers between Central America and Scandinavia before Columbus. Why not think up such elaborate theories? Sometimes that's the only way to get to the truth, because the truth is often unbelievable, so it's worth doing it, just as a thought exercise. But as I was doing this, KiteAuraan presented me with some interesting points about ancient trade networks that made my hypothesis seem unlikely, and that shut me up pretty quickly, because I realized he had a valid argument worth considering.

The way people like Graham Hancock work is just the opposite. They question things too, but they also come up with an all-encompassing theory that explains why they are right and everyone else is wrong. If you end up trapped in that sort of logical fallacy, you can never learn from others, you can never contribute to a collective understanding.

Here's an example that is often brought up by the Graham Hancock/Ancient Aliens crew, the Piri Reis map:

This is an Ottoman map compiled in 1513, based upon other maps and written accounts of voyages undertaken by explorers from Spain and Portugal. Unlike every other map of South America made in that era, it shows that land extends eastwards from the bottom tip of South America. Now, some people use this map to argue that it's proof that Antarctica was a populated and habitable place just 500 years ago. and go on from there to argue all kinds of insane theories about why that is the case, and come up with explanations such as, the world has spun around in the meantime, and Antarctica used to be closer to the equator.

The general consensus is that the "antarctica" part actually closely matches with the remaining coast of South America, and the map maker just decided to wrap it around the bottom of the vellum for whatever practical reason.

And I say, ok, it's fine to make up theories to explain things, as long as you consider all the evidence. But they do not. They have tons of other maps from the same time that portray South America normally, but they discard all of that data when making their considerations, because it doesn't fit with the conclusion they already arrived upon. That's bad!

Graham Hancock operates in a similar way (albeit with slightly more sophisticated arguments), as do many other pseudo-scholars that you see a lot on TV and online these days. The prevalence of these peudo-historical theories in mainstream culture, and the amount of attention paid to them, has led to a countless number of communities appearing which believe this poo poo and ignore everything else. These people end up in a bubble and re-enforce each other's beliefs until they end up totally detached from reality. This is why we have people today who legitimately believe that the earth is flat, or that every monumental structure outside of Europe was built by Aliens.

This has a lot of appeal, for sure. We all want to be punk rock, deep in our hearts. I support it when people question the status quo, in terms of history. I think that a lot of things were overlooked, that the picture is incomplete, that some ideas were based upon ephemeral evidence and ended up becoming entrenched in scholarship, that certain historical narratives became overly dominant, and that we need to rethink some things. And I think that idea is common, that a lot of things about our understanding of history don't make sense, or are incomplete. Doubting and rethinking the status quo is really what all historians should be doing all the time. But you need to have some sort of system for deciding what is likely or not. You need to be able to discard ideas, but you also need to be careful about the way in which you accumulate new ones, and you need to develop tools for processing that info.

So like I said before, I'm open to the idea Graham Hancock is obsessed with, that there was a civilization during the Ice Age or beforehand. Why not? The other thing is I realize that there is no definitive evidence of this. We haven't even solved the Bronze Age Collapse of civilization which happened 3,000 years ago, and in my eyes we are nowhere near close to being capable of having ideas about the collapse of civilization 11,000 years ago. If Hancock's theory was correct, and there was a civilization before the glaciers melted and the sea level rose, most of the evidence would be destroyed or underwater by now, and I don't think we have enough data to either confirm this or rule it out. Most of the data we do have seems to suggest that this was not the case, so I think it's an interesting idea, but I have plenty of doubts.

But Hancock has no doubts. He is convinced that he is the only person alive who knows the truth of what human society was like 11,000 years ago, and he is happy to tell you all about it, and that is why you shouldn't trust him.

Still catching up on the thread, but I really appreciate this answer to my dumb question.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

sparta practiced "marriage by capture" which is fancy talk for ritualized rape.
they also enslaved felllow greeks (as if it matters who they enslaved morally, but their contemporaries saw it as especially monstrous) and treated them to the most inhumane conditions possible.
yet somehow, they still the good guys vs democratic athens and their imperial delian league protection racket

kinda like how china has a million muslims in concentration camps but it would be a big bonus for life on earth if they decapitated america, head of nato.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

The Storm Before The Storm. All about the causes of Sulla's Civil War, and why the Roman Republic was bleeding to death long before Gneaus, Marcus, and Julius came along.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

sparta practiced "marriage by capture" which is fancy talk for ritualized rape.
they also enslaved felllow greeks (as if it matters who they enslaved morally, but their contemporaries saw it as especially monstrous) and treated them to the most inhumane conditions possible.
yet somehow, they still the good guys vs democratic athens and their imperial delian league protection racket

kinda like how china has a million muslims in concentration camps but it would be a big bonus for life on earth if they decapitated america, head of nato.

Athens would absolutely have won against Sparta if the latter weren't bankrolled by Persian gold and supplied with a Persian navy though.

e: A War Like No Other is a real good book even though Hanson is a neocon fucker.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Speaking of ancient greece and neocon assholes who nevertheless are good historians check the Yale course by Kagan on youtube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I'm starting to wonder if ye olde "Mythology" by Edith Hamilton is poo poo or not