Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Nellistos posted:

- Star Citizen D20 Sourcebook
- Pirates' Manual
- Stimpire Campaign Set

how this hasn't happened yet?

It's up next after the
- Private server manual
- Modding manual
- Linux port
- A functioning game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Hell, are there any promises beyond the trivial that CI~G has kept?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Zaphod42 posted:

lol this only makes the project look worse, not better

"Uh, look, Chris shot 11 hours of footage with Gillian Anderson in pajamas!"

So either the game is a movie and its 100% cut-scenes, or SQ42 is going to be like 90 hours long in total? Are you loving serious?

Nobody's ever seeing any of that footage lmao.

Not even Metal Gear Solid 4 had 11 hours of cutscenes.

How dense can you be, its 11 hours of mocap!!!!

Theres going to be more than 11 hours of cutscenes because not everything will have mocap!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

1. Exclusive group invited to spend $275 on dinner worth $45 depending on how much they have spent on jpegs: CHECK
2. Discuss one new ship: CHECK
3. Given early access to buy this new ship: CHECK
4. TOTALLY not a sales gimmick: CHECK

You lose Goonies!

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

Jobbo_Fett posted:

How dense can you be, its 11 hours of mocap!!!!

Theres going to be more than 11 hours of cutscenes because not everything will have mocap!

Half of those are only for the bartender

Maltloaf
Jul 3, 2018
Everything about this train wreck is fascinating.

Some of these Redditors have taken the fantasy in their head and concretized it in a bizarre way that the more I think about it, the more insane it all appears.

Instead of saying "I hope CIG make an Origin version of ship X" they'll say "I hope Origin throw their hat into the ring" as if Origin is an actual entity and participant in the world. None of this comes across as role playing either since they'll effortlessly switch to how much they're in for and other real-life things. Then it's straight back to "if Drake manufacture one of these I'll get it straight away".

I've played a a bunch of hours of Elite Dangerous and the nearest I've seen to that language is something like "Gutamaya ships look like fashionable yachts " -- essentially factual generalities without agency. I have never thought or seen something like "Falcon de Lacy should make a ship like that" ever. That's a subtly incorrect thought that betrays a fundamental misperception of reality.

It's clearly encouraged by CIG with the whole "Aegis are celebrating their 400th year..." language so I assume it's designed to inculcate some twisted version of brand self-identification. Maybe the cumulative effect of the time-fuckery and constantly in progress lore is short circuiting these supernerds minds. Should the project suddenly collapse I can only wonder what kind of problems they'll have as their subconscious suddenly discovers that no, it's not 2674, you're not in space, your dream company doesn't exist or whatever, you're just a sack of poo poo who's 10k down.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

I'll ask one more time, was it a costume party? Because, ummmm, yeah.

I know the CIG people were talking poo poo about these freaks afterward. I mean imagine sitting with mr. tophat for 2 hours. If only there was audio leaked of them laughing at these people.

monkeytek fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 25, 2019

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
That aint a mouthpiece on shaps head

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

People do that all the time with real life companies, cars etc

I know a friend that collects corvettes, when the latest special edition was announced he put down a deposit and waited in line for the opportunity to buy one

When he was finally ready for production, they called him up and he paid for it.

Upon delivery day, He drove it!

Wow magical what a time we live in, meanwhile all these idiots have put down their deposit (price of the dinner), sat through the sales talks, drank the free booze and watched the salespeople enthrall them with engine placement and other design decisions

And at the end of the day they have the opportunity to open their wallets and buy not 1, but 2 if they choose!

Shapcap "looks" like a normal member of society aside from his stupid getup, how does it come to the point where peoples self preservation skills against shysters like this actually drop off?

He has a blanket answer anytime it is blatantly pointed out to him that he is being taken as a rube, they crafted the entire evening simply to empty his wallet of money. And he talks as if the president of Mercedes sat down with him personally to show off the new sports car , and MY GOD he has first pick !

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Irukandji Syndrome posted:

So I haven't been keeping up with this thread in a while but I remember that even like 5 years ago they were selling bespoke spaceship jpegs and promising the world. Like one was $10,000 or something, right? Did those ever actually get made into anything beyond concept art?

None of the big ships have been released including the 1,000 dollar one that they teased at literally every single event and demo for 6 years straight. They can't release them because the game world can't support them- there are no landing pads, there's no multicrew, you can't have NPC's on your ships, etc. That and Chris continually changes the requirements for "finished" art assets so the longer something sits in pre-production the more times it will get reworked without ever seeing the light of day. Each of those ships is a gigantic money pit at this point.

That's one of the reasons backers are so salty- right now, the newest giant-functionless-spaceships are coming out first. That's because someone at CIG wised up and now they don't even advertise them until they're ready to go out the door. So people who bought poo poo five years ago are watching it languish while brand new JPEGS roll off the factory floor. Sucks to be them, Chris already got their money.

kw0134 posted:

Hell, are there any promises beyond the trivial that CI~G has kept?

Well, they promised to release their financials if they missed their deadlines. Then they missed them and went three more years without releasing the financials. But they did finally put them out! Just as an outside investor plowed 50 millo into the project. Probably completely coincidental, though- Chris obviously meant to put them out all along.

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Aug 26, 2019

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Maltloaf posted:

Everything about this train wreck is fascinating.

Some of these Redditors have taken the fantasy in their head and concretized it in a bizarre way that the more I think about it, the more insane it all appears.

Instead of saying "I hope CIG make an Origin version of ship X" they'll say "I hope Origin throw their hat into the ring" as if Origin is an actual entity and participant in the world. None of this comes across as role playing either since they'll effortlessly switch to how much they're in for and other real-life things. Then it's straight back to "if Drake manufacture one of these I'll get it straight away".

I've played a a bunch of hours of Elite Dangerous and the nearest I've seen to that language is something like "Gutamaya ships look like fashionable yachts " -- essentially factual generalities without agency. I have never thought or seen something like "Falcon de Lacy should make a ship like that" ever. That's a subtly incorrect thought that betrays a fundamental misperception of reality.

It's clearly encouraged by CIG with the whole "Aegis are celebrating their 400th year..." language so I assume it's designed to inculcate some twisted version of brand self-identification. Maybe the cumulative effect of the time-fuckery and constantly in progress lore is short circuiting these supernerds minds. Should the project suddenly collapse I can only wonder what kind of problems they'll have as their subconscious suddenly discovers that no, it's not 2674, you're not in space, your dream company doesn't exist or whatever, you're just a sack of poo poo who's 10k down.

This is what we mean when we talk about certain Citizens playing Star Citizen. It's not the game on the computer they're into, it's the game of pretending to be a rich person who buys super yachts. Some of these guys have actually conflated their real life identities with the marketing stance taken towards them by a video game company. Imagine having so little self awareness and self esteem that the moment a huckster rolled up to you and started pitching at you like you were a rich person, you immediately absorbed it and rolled with it, then got genuinely offended when people pointed out that no, actually, you work at Costco and that guy just took your disability check.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

I think it's time to dig in that video of Garriot having to explain to Chris how momentum works in space, because it sure sounds like Chris is a physics expert.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

lmao that dude has an incredible facility for self-deception.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
Listen, Chris needs more money to complete his pet project, a very bad "movie game" that's neither, and that nobody wants. In fact, people would pay willingly to prevent its release. So what if he just held a concierge event and took money for a ship that doesn't exist in a game he's not making, and then used that stolen money to fund his own personal vanity project? The man codes 80 hours a week with advanced physics - that's guaranteeing cutting-edge physics algorithms that NASA will want to pay rights for to help fund their Mars missions. Nothing but the best from the man who thinks you can swim in space if you wave your arms a certain way. I for one am sick of all the negativity surrounding this project, everyone is acting like lying, stealing, fraud, and misrepresentation are bad things. They're not seeing the bigger picture here. I'm literally debugging a device driver while I type this.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

They are complaining that people got to buy non-existing ships before they are about to buy non-existing ships?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I love the instant border setting

DO YOU HAVE A DOG IN THIS FIGHT??? GET OUT IF NOT REAL MEN ARE FIGHTING HERE

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sillybones posted:

They are complaining that people got to buy non-existing ships before they are about to buy non-existing ships?

https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/1165775758972850176

oh no, please don't link [THE ONLY GOOD STAR CITIZEN RELATED DECISION I HAVE EVER MADE] Lethality! I'll be so embarassed!

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Beet Wagon posted:

oh no, please don't link [THE ONLY GOOD STAR CITIZEN RELATED DECISION I HAVE EVER MADE] Lethality! I'll be so embarassed!

Lazrin, care to comment?

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Ok, so I really want to ask, once and for all, what the gently caress actually is this "agenda" that goons are supposed to have?

Shitizens shout about goons having a specific agenda constantly, for years, and for as long as I've been here and counted as a "goon", I have never known any 'agenda' other than mocking/laughing at CR's attempt to rekindle his glory days while also taking advantage of people who lack common sense and self control.

Shitizens telling me I was a goon (when I dared to question the almighty CR and his great vision of interactive toilets in jpegs) and telling me I had an agenda was one of the reasons I ended up here, years ago. :D

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sabreseven posted:

Ok, so I really want to ask, once and for all, what the gently caress actually is this "agenda" that goons are supposed to have?

We want to control both the game (via griefing) and the development (via forcing CIG to create mechanics that are good for griefing). Our first group of agents were detected and expelled by Sandi, but the second one is fine and the reason the new ship is a griefing machine.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Sabreseven posted:

Shitizens shout about goons having a specific agenda constantly, for years, and for as long as I've been here and counted as a "goon", I have never known any 'agenda' other than mocking/laughing at CR's attempt to rekindle his glory days while also taking advantage of people who lack common sense and self control.

Shitizens telling me I was a goon (when I dared to question the almighty CR and his great vision of interactive toilets in jpegs) and telling me I had an agenda was one of the reasons I ended up here, years ago. :D

The narrative they have constructed is that we had demands for Roberts/CIG with regards to how certain portions of the game would be developed in order to assure our org supremacy when it was released, and when they said no we pitched a fit and started a campaign against it. This is evidenced by the following:

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Cold lunch.

Hot air.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bootcha posted:

Cold lunch.

Hot air.

Where's the video

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

lol they discovered our "Derek Smart where's my check" joke from four years ago. Great work, guys!

Sabreseven posted:

currently our agenda is anything from "Destroy the game because Chris wouldn't let us do EVE Online poo poo" to "Destabilize the playerbase so we can scam people out of their ships on the grey market to build a secret goon megafleet" depending on who you ask.

There are others, they are all equally dumb.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

TweakTown: TRENDING NOW: THE BEST DESTRUCTION PHYSICS IN A GAME EVER, ALSO FEATURES RAY TRACING Home News Gaming New Star Citizen ship costs $675, more than a PS4 and Xbox COMBINED

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Heh, he paid over $1000 for the priviledge of being offered the ability to pay $275 to be crammed elbow to elbow with nerds to be offered a picture of pure future technical debt for $675 in a game that isn't developed yet mostly because of technical debt and mismanagement, and that's just the most recent dumb robbery he's fallen for. :D

It will never not be funny. :D

Beet Wagon posted:

currently our agenda is anything from "Destroy the game because Chris wouldn't let us do EVE Online poo poo" to "Destabilize the playerbase so we can scam people out of their ships on the grey market to build a secret goon megafleet" depending on who you ask.

Oh, lmao :D So it hasn't occured to them that we take the piss and laugh at SC and it's more rabid fans because it's a massive money pit with an obviously distrustful director standing at the edge while gleefully holding people upside-down by their ankles and shaking them until the money falls out of their pockets and into said money pit, and then they thank him for it and ask to be shook some more, all while they froth at the mouth because a goon might say something bad or funny about the situation. :D

Sabreseven fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 26, 2019

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

:five:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Beet Wagon posted:

https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/1165775730019577857
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/1165780263063957504
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/1165780403199852544
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/1165780606606819333

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

:vince:

Holy poo poo this is amazing. How dumb can one man be?

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So went and spent the evening testing my new HOTAS bindings (couldn't be arsed to do it, but in the end it wasn't that bad, though I'll probably print out a sheet or sth while learning) and made 120 millions via double Painite mining in my Python that I outfitted to mining instead of combat (it tried to sell itself to me for $150, but I bought some cosmetics instead). Will probably do at least one more batch this week, since it's pretty chill, and then consider doing something else, maybe doing some nice missions for Feds to get to Fed Corvette. I could also test how hard it is to kill an NPC via full mine loadout or sth just for fun of "mine gameplay" in any Elite's ship.

Anyway, how is Star Citizen doing?

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Sabreseven posted:

:same:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Sabreseven posted:

Our agenda is explained in detail in the Anti-SC Action Command Center- GOONS ONLY thread. You just need to remember the simple cipher key: You Need A Platinum Account To View This Message. Apply that to any given post in the other thread and it should all be spelled out for you. God, I'm getting sick of laying this out for new members.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beet Wagon posted:

lol they discovered our "Derek Smart where's my check" joke from four years ago. Great work, guys!

Give them a break, they are trying to catch up!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

more like "mark out for videogames that won't ever get released any chance I get"

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Transparency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
THIS WAS ALMOST 4 YEARS AGO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWq8ynUq7wM