Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Anyone remember Davis "Skullman" Aurini's "documentary" and the hilarious drama surrounding it?

No reason, just popped up out of my memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
💀

It's hard to forget the hbomb video.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Zurui posted:

There are definitely valid critiques of cancel culture but they are not coming from the guy who got booted from Honest Trailers for raping a fan.

Sound familiar?

"Caught flirting." Aw, he makes it sound so nice! And Vic Mignogna was just 'giving fanservice.'

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

It's almost as if they want to make it seem like the probably-common memory of being embarrassed about something is a sign that YOU could be busted, just like THEY did! About the thing they aren't that embarrassed about really (a sex crime)

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

I'd heard rumors that Black Hat Matt had been lurking around, trying to shed the stench and get back into things. I am unsurprised by this development.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I was actually a little surprised he hadn't made a fuss about "his side of the story", and assumed he was doing the appropriate thing and loving off forever. I'm sure he'd be welcome in chud gaming circles.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Kurieg posted:

This sure is a bad look.

Hugging the Cactus? More like Touching the Poop.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I'm actually quite mad at that title, 'Hugging the Cactus' - it's about implying that the REAL problem is these prickly, unkind people, who respond to those who reach out to them by attacking with spikes.

It's a really gross way of pretending to care about someone after you've harassed them or harmed them, by framing them as just unwilling to accept your selfless love. Grotesque.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
who, dare I ask, has been 'unfairly cancelled'? Like for all the whining about 'cancel culture' we can't even make actual loving rapists in high profile entertainment go away forever, who are these innocent souls driven away by the unstoppable juggernaut of 'got called a dick'?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

sexpig by night posted:

who, dare I ask, has been 'unfairly cancelled'? Like for all the whining about 'cancel culture' we can't even make actual loving rapists in high profile entertainment go away forever, who are these innocent souls driven away by the unstoppable juggernaut of 'got called a dick'?

Presumably the "unfairly cancelled" are all those people who were rapists and sexually harassers and other awful people who are angry that they got caught and penalized because in the Good Old Days (tm) they wouldn't have to suffer repercussions for their horridness and now get pushback instead of a wink and a slap on the wrist.

Thank god for cancel culture, and here's hoping they do finally fade away.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

sexpig by night posted:

I imagine Holden would say he's been unfairly cancelled just because he's super close blood brothers with a sex pest and keeps trying to help him get back into games.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Lower-profile jackasses are more affected by callouts and mass action as they generally don't have the power structures the higher-visibility assdrips do. When Mr. Screen Junkie gets outed as a rapist, it directly affects the viewership of the channel and the toxicity of the fanbase. (Of course, sometimes it works in the opposite direction e.g. PewDiePie.)

What baffles me about so many of these is that they are just incongruent. It's always "yes, I lied about this, but THEY told a bigger lie, and you should believe ME." The dude who got caught drunkenly offering his room key to someone and claimed he was offering them a cigarette (and also was apparently assaulting people?) is my "favorite."

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Getting all agitated about the threat of "Cancel Culture" (has it gone too far? where does it end?) has really rocketed up the chart of ways to indicate that someone is a genuine piece of poo poo.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

FMguru posted:

Getting all agitated about the threat of "Cancel Culture" (has it gone too far? where does it end?) has really rocketed up the chart of ways to indicate that someone is a genuine piece of poo poo.

Pretty much. It's the same thing as the people who always find time to say "but what about false rape accusations???" whenever somebody brings up how victims of sexual assault should be believed and treated better than they historically have been.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
If anyone knows your name from a professional work you've done you're not a victim of the problematic side of cancel culture. To the extent there's a genuine issue with it it exists in inter-fandom situations where people don't have much social capital.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I think the cactus is meant to represent the cancelled guy - that we should just get over ourselves and hug the rapists and harassers.

gently caress that.

I don't really follow the criticism of cancelling people before they get big though. Is this a Twitch thing? The idea that eveyone deserves X+1 chances has been shown wrong so many times already...

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

moths posted:

I think the cactus is meant to represent the cancelled guy - that we should just get over ourselves and hug the rapists and harassers.

gently caress that.

I don't really follow the criticism of cancelling people before they get big though. Is this a Twitch thing? The idea that eveyone deserves X+1 chances has been shown wrong so many times already...

I’ve always read it more as if you’re in an insular community, the english fandom for a foreign untranslated product or the like, then cancel culture has a tendency to result in the most powerful people in that community using it as a weapon against those they don’t like.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Oh. That's just bullying though, which is going to happen regardless of how it's presented.

If the PTA president smears Patty and nobody buys her bake sale cookies, boycotts aren't the villain here.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I am not disagreeing, but there is something to be said about the language used. It may not change a whole lot but cloaking abuse in woke terms is something that should be fought, if only to help prevent people from making interview series with rapists who claim cancel culture has gone too far.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That's fair. I've got a similar concerns with "problematic," which gets applied evenly to once used the wrong pronoun and full blown sexual predators.

It'd be easier and better all around if there were more transparency.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

moths posted:

That's fair. I've got a similar concerns with "problematic," which gets applied evenly to once used the wrong pronoun and full blown sexual predators.

It'd be easier and better all around if there were more transparency.

Yeah, this is the kind of thing I mean; you get people who once did something bad who get vagueblogged about until they're pariahs, or people posting reciepts out of context or using personal spats to point out someone's abusive behaviour, or, my personal favourite, hounding children who wandered into minefields without realising it because they're literally dumbass kids and nobody can expect a teenager to perfectly politically literate off the internet.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

moths posted:

Oh. That's just bullying though, which is going to happen regardless of how it's presented.

If the PTA president smears Patty and nobody buys her bake sale cookies, boycotts aren't the villain here.

Boycotts aren't the villain, but we should endeavour to ensure that our willingness to boycott can't be easily used to hurt the innocent. The darker side of cancel culture is that the willingness to denounce and exclude someone, the zeal and self-satisfaction of it, is all too easy to manipulate into harming someone innocent. And once we're all participating in a system where the PTA president can smear Patty unjustly and we all refuse to buy her bake sale cookies, it's our collective fault when we don't look at where we failed Patty and address that.

Without bad actors like the PTA president, there'd be no problems with cancel culture, but there's always going to be bad actors, so a system that enables them is a system with a problem.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The greater harm in blasting cancel culture seems to be that it gives absolute poo poo-smears an apparent channel back in.

Any system is prone to manipulation, which is important to be mindful of, but this is one of the few actually-effective self-policing tools I've seen.

The alt-right and other sleazy operators have been fervently opposed to consequence. First it was a blanket anti-judgement stance, then warnings about "the mob," and now it's "cancel culture bad."

So suppose "cancel cancel culture" happens. Then what? We're suddenly obligated to give Louis CK, Harvey Weinstein, Zak S, and Chick Fil A infinite chances?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Kurieg posted:

This sure is a bad look.

Rapist piece of poo poo.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
What's ultimately amazing to me is the lengths these types will go to, including making and funding a whole documentary to try and attack the whole notion of suffering consequences for their lovely behavior, instead of just, yanno, apologizing.

Like, saying "I'm sorry" isn't an automatic pass back in, and there are certain things (like rape, obviously) that are pretty much unforgivable. But at best all these jackasses seem to muster is non-apologies like "sorry you found my charisma so overwhelming". And then devote incredible effort to convoluted schemes to regain their previous status, rather than the simpler and more straightforward path.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
The whole panic about "Cancel Culture" is because lovely behavior that used to go unchecked is now (fitfully, sometimes) being called out, and the people called out can't make the whole issue go away by mumbling some non-apology like they used to.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Desiden posted:

What's ultimately amazing to me is the lengths these types will go to, including making and funding a whole documentary to try and attack the whole notion of suffering consequences for their lovely behavior, instead of just, yanno, apologizing.

Like, saying "I'm sorry" isn't an automatic pass back in, and there are certain things (like rape, obviously) that are pretty much unforgivable. But at best all these jackasses seem to muster is non-apologies like "sorry you found my charisma so overwhelming". And then devote incredible effort to convoluted schemes to regain their previous status, rather than the simpler and more straightforward path.

They'd say sorry if they thought they did anything wrong, but they don't. Plus of course there's a lot more money in perpetuating the culture war than in saying "yeah my behaviour was lovely and I've learned a lesson."

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

moths posted:

So suppose "cancel cancel culture" happens. Then what? We're suddenly obligated to give Louis CK, Harvey Weinstein, Zak S, and Chick Fil A infinite chances?

Literally yes.

Another thing going on is an anger at what chuddy shitheads assume is them being unfairly singled out, because many chuddy shitheads assume EVERYONE is like them as something between an excuse, a justification, and a rationalization. The dude who rapes women assumes that getting pushback is unfair because really, what man wouldn't rape a woman if we're being honest with ourselves so why ya gotta pick on me? I'm not special, all men are raging penis beasts, don't you know about that every six seconds thing?

My experience is that bad people tend to assume everyone else is a bad person, and they're just pretending or pontificating and that nobody ACTUALLY believes in all that "treat other humans humanely" poo poo, it's just a pose. That's why "SJWs" are the worst, because they're vehemently attacking people disingenuously because everybody is like the chuddy shithead on the inside and all they're doing is being honest, really, why are you blaming them? Besides the woman they harassed/raped wanted it and it was all blurred lines and mixed messages and now they're lying because they're [insert Manosphere denigration here].

So much of the anti-"cancel culture" is born out of the defense mechanisms of horrible loving people. Corrode has it in one:

Corrode posted:

They'd say sorry if they thought they did anything wrong, but they don't.[...]

lovely people think everyone is a lovely person and they have nothing to apologize for, so they consider pushback against their poo poo to be completely irrational and unfair and fascistic and a bunch of other scary adjectives because it is completely beyond their capacity to believe that anyone can say in good faith "I have never thought about raping a woman and I think doing so is disgusting".

I really do think they believe they're being unfairly singled out and persecuted, and that makes it even more disgusting.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

moths posted:

The greater harm in blasting cancel culture seems to be that it gives absolute poo poo-smears an apparent channel back in.

Any system is prone to manipulation, which is important to be mindful of, but this is one of the few actually-effective self-policing tools I've seen.

The alt-right and other sleazy operators have been fervently opposed to consequence. First it was a blanket anti-judgement stance, then warnings about "the mob," and now it's "cancel culture bad."

The alternative is that you can appreciate the difference between this discussion coming from pro-fandom people on tumblr whose primary form of identifiable capital is goodwill from a 20,000 word fanfic, and it coming from people who're starting a 15k kickstarter with previous track records of sexual abuse allegations who're part of a right-wing outrage industry.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

FMguru posted:

The whole panic about "Cancel Culture" is because lovely behavior that used to go unchecked is now (fitfully, sometimes) being called out, and the people called out can't make the whole issue go away by mumbling some non-apology like they used to.
There was an article I saw a while back about how pre-#metoo, this lovely behavior always got written off as an "oopsie"; just a guy being dumb because we're so stupid! And really, who can navigate all the ~politically correct~ needs and requirements? I'm just a dumb guy, I can't be held accountable!

Thankfully that mindset is being chipped away. It's slow, but it's happening.

That said, gently caress McFarland trying to act like he's the victim here.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

"Cancel culture" is nothing new. How and when to ostracize is a question that has been asked for like the entire existence of humanity. There is definitely a right time to ostracize bad actors.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Omnicrom posted:

lovely people think everyone is a lovely person and they have nothing to apologize for, so they consider pushback against their poo poo to be completely irrational and unfair and fascistic and a bunch of other scary adjectives because it is completely beyond their capacity to believe that anyone can say in good faith "I have never thought about raping a woman and I think doing so is disgusting".
I've seen it said that this idea is why shitheads came up with the concept of "virtue signalling". They can't imagine saying something without an agenda or to earn "points" with some group, so they can't imagine someone else would point out bad behavior without a self-serving ulterior motive.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Evil Mastermind posted:

I've seen it said that this idea is why shitheads came up with the concept of "virtue signalling". They can't imagine saying something without an agenda or to earn "points" with some group, so they can't imagine someone else would point out bad behavior without a self-serving ulterior motive.

It's also the implied meaning of the insult "White Knighting", the assumption being a man defending a woman doesn't really give a poo poo about her beyond the desire to get into her pants.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Evil Mastermind posted:

There was an article I saw a while back about how pre-#metoo, this lovely behavior always got written off as an "oopsie"; just a guy being dumb because we're so stupid! And really, who can navigate all the ~politically correct~ needs and requirements? I'm just a dumb guy, I can't be held accountable!
That shows up all the time. I've seen it called "the presumption of guilelessness". Gawrsh, I'm actually really shy and clumsy and awkward around people and sometimes I say thing that get taken the wrong way. Which is always funny coming from someone who is otherwise a take-charge big shot with long experience in the public eye. Turns out Mr. Hollywood Superstar or US Senator is just a big ol' clumsy goof with the ladies, what a crazy world, huh? Notice that this takes the onus away from the abuser and puts it on the victim, who is pressured to show some understanding and sympathy towards the self-admitted bumbling oaf.

Yeah, that's (very) slowly working its way out of the system, thank God.

One nice (?!) thing about #MeToo was that a lot of of the worst offenders were unable to play this particular card. It's hard to square being a well-meaning stammering dork with having a remote-control door lock installed on your soundproofed office.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Throw all those misused terms into the problem attic!

spectralent posted:

If anyone knows your name from a professional work you've done you're not a victim of the problematic side of cancel culture. To the extent there's a genuine issue with it it exists in inter-fandom situations where people don't have much social capital.

I think about this article often.
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/15/magazine/how-one-stupid-tweet-ruined-justine-saccos-life.html

Some random nobody made a tasteless joke on twitter and got savaged for it. Or in some cases (like the tomb photograph), something completely harmless but just missing context.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Evil Mastermind posted:

Thankfully that mindset is being chipped away. It's slow, but it's happening.

That said, gently caress McFarland trying to act like he's the victim here.

The Myth of the Male Bumbler.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

That was the one! Thanks, I was trying to find it but couldn't remember the exact key word they used.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Omnicrom posted:

Literally yes.

Another thing going on is an anger at what chuddy shitheads assume is them being unfairly singled out, because many chuddy shitheads assume EVERYONE is like them as something between an excuse, a justification, and a rationalization. The dude who rapes women assumes that getting pushback is unfair because really, what man wouldn't rape a woman if we're being honest with ourselves so why ya gotta pick on me? I'm not special, all men are raging penis beasts, don't you know about that every six seconds thing?

My experience is that bad people tend to assume everyone else is a bad person, and they're just pretending or pontificating and that nobody ACTUALLY believes in all that "treat other humans humanely" poo poo, it's just a pose. That's why "SJWs" are the worst, because they're vehemently attacking people disingenuously because everybody is like the chuddy shithead on the inside and all they're doing is being honest, really, why are you blaming them? Besides the woman they harassed/raped wanted it and it was all blurred lines and mixed messages and now they're lying because they're [insert Manosphere denigration here].

Don't forget they have a habit of dredging up something about a left wing personality and try to "both sides" the issue when more often than not the response is either "Oh wow, they are a shitheel, thanks for bringing it to our attention, regardless of your lovely motives." Or "that was twenty years ago when they were a literal teenager and now that they're aware of this thing they said they've apologized."

moths
Aug 25, 2004

spectralent posted:

The alternative is that you can appreciate the difference between this discussion coming from pro-fandom people on tumblr whose primary form of identifiable capital is goodwill from a 20,000 word fanfic, and it coming from people who're starting a 15k kickstarter with previous track records of sexual abuse allegations who're part of a right-wing outrage industry.

While I can feel for a handful of tumblr fan-fic authors, I really feel no obligation to hug prickly cactus Roman Polanski or Michael Vick.

At the tumblr level, it sounds like simple bullying. Malicious lies intended to ruin someone's community standing.

I agree that there's a case to be made for employing tools like cancellation mindfully, but attacking the concept feels like a mistake. (And is unsurprisingly the go-to for bigtime shitheads.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kurieg posted:

Don't forget they have a habit of dredging up something about a left wing personality and try to "both sides" the issue when more often than not the response is either "Oh wow, they are a shitheel, thanks for bringing it to our attention, regardless of your lovely motives." Or "that was twenty years ago when they were a literal teenager and now that they're aware of this thing they said they've apologized."
...b-but her emails! :ohdear: