Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Tales of Woe posted:

i dunno, I think Cold Steel retains the improvements in character writing from Crossbell, they just increased the cast size too much so everyone's character moments are spread thin other than Alisa

A lot of characters just don’t have much to do in CS. At least the first two.

Even things where it looks like they should be relevant they really aren’t.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah. I like Fie, for example, but it takes forever for her to have anything besides 'is that girl that naps anywhere.' I'm not sure Emma gets much of anything at all in the first game.

Emma at least has Celine and relevance to the Old Schoolhouse plot. Gaius is only part of two Field Studies and the one in his hometown is more about Alisa than him.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Some Numbers posted:

Emma at least has Celine and relevance to the Old Schoolhouse plot. Gaius is only part of two Field Studies and the one in his hometown is more about Alisa than him.

It's a little difficult to do a lot with a character who doesn't have much conflict in their life. Gaius's family is - unusually for a playable character - completely intact, he lives in a beautiful, peaceful land, he gets along with people well. He doesn't have any major concrete ambitions which others want to oppose.

The biggest mishandling of Gaius in my opinion is taking the one major source of conflict he has and ignoring it in CS 2. Gaius really gets upset at the idea of his beautiful, peaceful homeland being turned into a battlefield. That was a prime opportunity for him to (CS2) be angry at the idea of trying to bring Crow back to Class VII and rehabilitate him, because Crow was behind the plot to start a war there, and it later became the site of one of the battles in the civil war which Crow also helped start.

But nope, Gaius is totally onboard with whatever Rean wants, no complaints at all there, he's got nothing bad at all to say. What a waste of good potential for conflict.

Elliot also suffers from this to an extent. His major source of conflict is "Daddy wants me to be a soldier, not a musician", except we learn that they get along well anyway, he doesn't mind being at Thors as much as he thought, and his father changes his mind.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 15, 2019

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Elliot also suffers from this to an extent. His major source of conflict is "Daddy wants me to be a soldier, not a musician", except we learn that they get along well anyway, he doesn't mind being at Thors as much as he thought, and his father changes his mind.

see also: the part that focuses on Laura and Fie resolving their conflict and becoming she-bros, and then Elliot literally just goes "poo poo, guess I'd better get a special move"

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Elliot is easily the most one-dimensional character in the cast. Dude likes music.

For Gaius, what I think would have worked better, is having him forced for more of CS2. Or having his forced part be in at a different story beat when Rean struggling with his internal conflicts. Gaius is, I think, one of the better foils to have around because he's so solid. A calm, objective presence floating around at times when Rean's about to crack would have gone quite a ways.

Weirder than Gaius being from a normal family, Rean being a main protagonist who, sure, is adopted and has... other familial issues... largely being in a loving nuclear family with two parents who support him the way his do is almost unheard of in video game protagonists. Hell, aside from Gaius, everyone else is missing at least one parent. Everyone.

For those talking about Emma just being there or whatever, have any of you taken her on the Bike Trip?

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
It was me, I'm the ReanxEmma shipper.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
So when the Geofront patch finally comes out are we going to be waiting for 5+ years for Ao no Kiseki or is the existing patch for that okay?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

A team was already working on Azure, if I remember correctly.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Pegnose Pete posted:

So when the Geofront patch finally comes out are we going to be waiting for 5+ years for Ao no Kiseki or is the existing patch for that okay?

The current Azure patch is okay enough. It'll be noticeably worse, but it's better than the current Zero patch and if you want to get through it before CS3 then there's no better option.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Ys 8 free weekend on steam right now if you want to see how it runs for you w/o putting the money down

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

chicken dragon

bawk bawk

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

does Princess Tsundere von Lilahintern ever get as strong as the smuggler man

e: actually his rapid-fire skill seemed really OP but I guess her jumping blast skill is on the same level

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Aug 18, 2019

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

:stare: so apparently you can fish up unkillable skeleton warriors that are 20 levels higher than you

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Of all the dinosaurs that could ever brutally own me, I never expected iguanodons.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 19, 2019

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

:argh:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
The game gives you 10 points of leeway for rank A0.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Oh crap, that's after the Festival stuff. Yeah, that's the last chance to get any points, so you're SoL. That really sucks. :(

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

you only have yourself to blame

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I thought I was close to end after that but the game went on for another 5 hours.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cold Steel does a lot of that, yeah.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

I thought I was close to end after that but the game went on for another 5 hours.

Cold Steel 2's even worse about that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm playing something else before I move on to 2 because 1 took me 70 hours

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

2 is shorter i think but also goes on for 10 hours instead of 5 after the ending

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It's definitely not shorter. If I remember right my first playthrough of CS1 took about forty hours, and my first run through CS2 was sixty-five.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
CS2 is longer because there's a big obvious "gently caress, this was originally 1 game. Pad the poo poo out dungeon spam"

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i had 60 hours clocked in 1 and 50 in 2 but i think i skipped a bunch of side content in 2 vs doing everything in 1

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I have 67 in CS1 and 52 in CS2, but that's on PC after I'd already played them on PS3, so CS2 at least I was blazing through the cutscenes.

I feel like CS2 is easily as long as if not longer than CS1.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
My first playthru of Toyko Xanadu ex was around 80 hrs. But that's with no guide and trying to fill out the friend page as much as possible, all the mini games as well.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Does anyone actually like the post-story dungeon in CS2?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Atlas Hugged posted:

I honestly didn't have a problem with it. Getting the whole party is cool and the Mirrors are awesome.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Some Numbers posted:

I honestly didn't have a problem with it. Getting the whole party is cool and the Mirrors are awesome.

:same: also it's got good music

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

Atlas Hugged posted:

It felt like in game DLC, rather than being part of the story.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Ys 8 is fun

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I was kind of done at that point and honestly it doesn’t really add anything worthwhile

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Hwurmp posted:

:same: also it's got good music

I really liked the music used in the true final boss fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YI9wMcqecA

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Some Numbers posted:

I mean the Crossbell portion in the sewer area. This sounds like you're talking about something else because I remember there only being two characters.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
It's OK for letting you use the temps when you otherwise never got a chance to see what they can do, but it's annoying that it's considered the actual end of the game, and you have to go thru it to actually see the ending for the first half of Cold Steel.

And that it's after a chapter of controlling someone not even in the two games. :psyduck:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

CharlestheHammer posted:

I was kind of done at that point and honestly it doesn’t really add anything worthwhile

:same: That dungeon made me stop playing for two weeks. I didn't want CS 2 to become another game abandoned at the last hour so I just finished blazing through it to see the ending.

The "who the hell are these guys" dungeon was odd at first, but the payoff at the end was cool.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Shinjobi posted:

Ys 8 is fun

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Tales of Woe posted:

2 is shorter i think but also goes on for 10 hours instead of 5 after the ending
I've got 100-something hours in CS1 and 150 in CS2

In the game complete save file, that is. I have some more from messing around in NG+