Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

There might be other such scenarios out there that I'm not aware of, but the only other one that immediately comes to mind is ARkStorm; a "1000-year" extreme atmospheric river scenario for California based on historical precedent of the floods of 1862.

quote:

Power, water, sewer, and other lifelines experience damage that takes weeks or months to restore. Flooding evacuation could involve 1.5 million residents in the inland region and delta counties. Business interruption costs reach $325 billion in addition to the $400 billion property repair costs, meaning that an ARkStorm could cost on the order of $725 billion, which is nearly 3 times the loss deemed to be realistic by the ShakeOut authors for a severe southern California earthquake, an event with roughly the same annual occurrence probability.

tl;dr:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Luneshot posted:

There might be other such scenarios out there that I'm not aware of, but the only other one that immediately comes to mind is ARkStorm; a "1000-year" extreme atmospheric river scenario for California based on historical precedent of the floods of 1862.

tl;dr:

hows that happen, rain?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
[ARKSTORM AGAIN?]

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

hows that happen, rain?

basically if it rains almost two months straight, which happened in 1862 so we know it's not impossible

i saw an LA water planning study for if there's a 7.5 or so on the san andreas fault, they think they have enough storage on their side of the fault for a year or two while they fix poo poo. if they don't, then it's a multi-katrina intranational refugee event. other than that i can't think of others, i just like the idea of the genre

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Luneshot posted:

tl;dr:

what if a major earthquake happens while the ARKstorm is in progress? Throw that in the computer and give me a death toll.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Cacafuego posted:

what if a major earthquake happens while the ARKstorm is in progress? Throw that in the computer and give me a death toll.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

the bitcoin of weed posted:

more concerned about it heading straight for puerto rico which is still pretty hosed from maria nearly 2 years
Too Bad Puerto Rico Won't Exist Anymore

I just moved to Puerto Rico--I'm happy to be SA's on-the-ground reporter when the island is completely obliterated in the near future!

Wish me luck! I happened to make my first Costco trip today and people were already going nuts and had bought out all of the water.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

In the last week we've already had a few quick black outs on days when the weather has been normal.

I'm sure they're just working out the kinks now so that the grid will be rock solid when we eventually get slammed...

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Just make sure to have a grand old feast of everything thats on your fridge after the storm.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Thesaurus posted:

I just moved to Puerto Rico--I'm happy to be SA's on-the-ground reporter when the island is completely obliterated in the near future!

Wish me luck! I happened to make my first Costco trip today and people were already going nuts and had bought out all of the water.

:rip:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I'm half expecting my unit to involuntarily recall me into active duty if the poo poo hits the fan in the island again. I've been getting calls over the weekend asking me why I wasnt in the drill (I made up for those days months ago because I was moving out and just stating a new job in the mainland) and members of the section calling and texting me on how to set up an satellite aperture terminal that was instrumental in getting us back online quickly after Maria because it was the only thing you could set up in an hour that was immediately ready to start data and voice comms.

Now the thing is broken and no one in the unit but me knows how to cannibalize controlled substitute other equipment to get it working

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
It's cool, the President's working on it

quote:

During one hurricane briefing at the White House, Trump said, "I got it. I got it. Why don't we nuke them?" according to one source who was there. "They start forming off the coast of Africa, as they're moving across the Atlantic, we drop a bomb inside the eye of the hurricane and it disrupts it. Why can't we do that?" the source added, paraphrasing the president's remarks.

Too bad non-radioactive weather won't exist anymore

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kassad posted:

fake news

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Kassad posted:

it cracks me up that the cold war broke so many brains that the national hurricane center gets asked this all the drat time

quote:

To be clear, Trump would be far from the only person to ever suggest it. Dennis Feltgen, public affairs officer for the National Hurricane Center, says he gets between three and four dozen emails every hurricane season from concerned citizens suggesting climatological nuclear warfare.

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

https://twitter.com/MatthewCappucci/status/1166041145945874433

rip thesaurus

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Had a little rain this afternoon, so the CBD is flooded

https://twitter.com/Jeff_Nowak/status/1166095178911879170

I guess pulling that car out of the culvert didn't work.

They might actually start looking into this now that the rich people's houses in the Lower Garden District are the ones getting wet.

https://twitter.com/skooks/status/1166096486926622722

PostNouveau has issued a correction as of 23:08 on Aug 26, 2019

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

It's ok, I had a good run of two weeks on the island :angel:

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
hurricane season livestreams are the best entertainment the US produces

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
keep in mind, human meat can be treated as a pork replacement, culinarily

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Socks4Hands posted:

hurricane season livestreams are the best entertainment the US produces

JEEEEEEFF

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Al! posted:

I chose one hell of a week to be vegetarian

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

I enjoy jeff but lately all hes done from what i saw was visit alaska. Which i appreciate and good for him but i want to watch him breathlessly tell me about xcluds while roads flood again

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Al! posted:

Whole new meaning to carnitas

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Thesaurus posted:

It's ok, I had a good run of two weeks on the island :angel:

I will post in your memory.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
pretty amazing “inland hurricane” as described by the local news channel tonight in oklahoma city. widespread 70-80mph sustained wind over most of the city for 20+ minutes. basically a 10 mile wide ef0/1 tornado.

fuckin apocalypse owns hail satan

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

soy posted:

pretty amazing “inland hurricane” as described by the local news channel tonight in oklahoma city. widespread 70-80mph sustained wind over most of the city for 20+ minutes. basically a 10 mile wide ef0/1 tornado.

fuckin apocalypse owns hail satan

jesus lol

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

gonna be honest I miss huge apocalyptic thunderstorms so I kinda wish I was there

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Agean90 posted:

gonna be honest I miss huge apocalyptic thunderstorms so I kinda wish I was there

same

holy poo poo look at this things gust front on velocity, it looks like a nuclear blast

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

something strangely poetic about a giant wave of red heading towards SLAUGHTERVILLE

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Agean90 posted:

something strangely poetic about a giant wave of red heading towards SLAUGHTERVILLE

And the thunder enveloping McLoud

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

It's very weather right now. Are the European models still considered the most accurate compared to those from the NHC?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

yah

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

https://weather.com/science/environment/news/2019-08-25-giant-pumice-raft-floating-in-pacific-could-restore-great

galenanorth has issued a correction as of 16:16 on Aug 27, 2019

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
*pounds fists on table*

WEATHER

WEATher

WEATHER

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Whether we'll weather weather's withering weathering will weigh heavily with us.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Wonder how big dorians gonna get before it creams Florida.

I'll be sure to stay tuned to the weather thread

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Over Easy posted:

Wonder how big dorians gonna get before it creams Florida.

I'll be sure to stay tuned to the weather thread

Not big enough to wipe Florida off the map :(

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Trump using even more FEMA funds for his concentration camps

I am input public, so I can't scream. But I want to scream.

RandomPauI has issued a correction as of 00:01 on Aug 28, 2019

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

RandomPauI posted:

Trump using even more FEMA funds for his concentration camps

I am input public, so I can't scream. But I want to scream.

I see that the presidency is expecting Puerto Rico to get pulverized again this year and is preemptively denying them relief instead of hemming and hawing over it afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
lol remember when youtube crazies were convinced that fema was shipping plastic coffins/bodybags everywhere in the beforetimes