Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

SeANMcBAY posted:

4 is good enough that I think they could get away with skipping 2019 as an upgrade year.

It blows my mind that Apple has people so conditioned for yearly “upgrades.”

I’m not sure what I would upgrade about my 4 and unless the next one somehow does my workouts for me it’s not really worth upgrading. I guess it could be more waterproof and not require a special mode? But I’m reaching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

The Watch is at the point now where Apple could definitely update it every other year. The 4 is so god drat good hardware wise that I think at this point the only upgrades I'd want to see are on the software side. Eventually, it would be awesome to see it get thinner with a better battery somehow but I really don't know what they could do.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 15, 2019

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I want more health sensor related things but I don’t know how long it’ll be before we get something more. The EKG is really cool.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

I want more health sensor related things but I don’t know how long it’ll be before we get something more. The EKG is really cool.

It's cool, but ultimately of limited value unless you are at risk for A-FIB. Doctors can't really use the data since an EKG is largely useless without multiple data points being monitored (and typically the collection points need to be thoracic).

Source: Just had a heart attack at the end of June and a week and half away from getting cracked open like a lobster. I'm currently wearing a Life-Vest which monitors for A-FIB/V-FIB and jolts me if I'm unconscious and experience fibrillation. It's like a personal/portable AED.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My only complaint about the watch is the battery is loving garbage and sucks that you have to charge it every day if you do any workouts at all.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Only solution to that is making the watch saucer sized, scale back the features, or get Star Trek magic batteries.

Hurry up science!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I’d consider going from 4 -> 5 if they added

-Multi-day battery
-Built-in sleep tracking
-Qi charging because they gave in on the iPhone so may as well
-Actual sapphire glass on the stainless steel models
-True fantasy: that dual-layer stuff so some time is always displayed
-5G for the cellu- haha, I’m joking

Of course, some rumors are suggesting Apple is skipping 2019 for the Watch so who knows.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Battery is fine for my daily use of tons of walking at work, then dog walking / exercise in the afternoon. I generally charge it at work during lunch or if I’m sitting / working on something and at home while I shower or sit to play a game.

I’m curious if/when they plan to look at the UI again. I mean I don’t use it often but I feel like there has to be a better way to handle apps.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Pants Donkey posted:

I’d consider going from 4 -> 5 if they added

-Multi-day battery
-Built-in sleep tracking
-Qi charging because they gave in on the iPhone so may as well
-Actual sapphire glass on the stainless steel models
-True fantasy: that dual-layer stuff so some time is always displayed
-5G for the cellu- haha, I’m joking

Of course, some rumors are suggesting Apple is skipping 2019 for the Watch so who knows.

They shouldn't need to do dual layer to make always on screen work - it's an OLED already so lighting up just a few pixels isn't a big deal.

It's the one thing I really miss from my old Android watch.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Huh, has it always been OLED?

But yeah that should be a thing then.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yes, it's always been OLED.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’m curious if/when they plan to look at the UI again. I mean I don’t use it often but I feel like there has to be a better way to handle apps.

Maybe make a usable non-infograph watch face, or god forbid open it up to third parties.

I'm good with my 4 unless they ramp up the health features like has been said. BP would be nice and bloodless glucose is the holy grail everyone is working toward. Tim Cook was seen wandering around the old Apple campus a year or two ago with a meter on but who knows. I wonder how much they really could add without a major breakthrough in battery tech though.

ArcaneMan
Nov 2, 2004
uh oh
watchOS assets reveal new Apple Watch models coming in titanium and ceramic cases

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ah poo poo here I go upgrading again.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Oh cool, the bug where text message notifications on the watch will randomly show a phone number instead of the contact name is back! :allears:

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007
Lol I have a very strange one but it is on beta, so I’m not too surprised or anything
Every time I go to wash my hands in my kitchen sink, it’s hearing “hey Siri” from the noise of the water or the sink, not sure which but it is bizarre. Not triggering the Raise to Speak, actually hearing those words.

Haunted pipes/tap or beta bug?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

stirlo posted:

Lol I have a very strange one but it is on beta, so I’m not too surprised or anything
Every time I go to wash my hands in my kitchen sink, it’s hearing “hey Siri” from the noise of the water or the sink, not sure which but it is bizarre. Not triggering the Raise to Speak, actually hearing those words.

:wtc:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I get Siri activated randomly when I don't want it to, and never when I actually want it to. It's always been garbage for me.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

What’s a good way to protect the screen? Seems like I’m always bumping it into something.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

colachute posted:

Whats a good way to protect the screen? Seems like Im always bumping it into something.

Apple Care :v:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Does the beta have the new watchfaces? I'd like some new watchfaces.

stirlo posted:

If I was a ghost or evil clown I'd probably whisper 'hey....siri' at every opportunity too. Take the top off the drain and peer down there reeeeeeally close to see what happens.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Does anyone else get the call in progress notification at the top of their watch for a while after the call wraps up? Seems to happen fairly often to me.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I've got an S3 LTE that's like a year and a half old. It now burns ~45-50% battery from doing a 1-hour run while listening to music stored on the watch via BT. That seems pretty excessive. Is the battery degradation really this bad on the watches? It used to drain ~25%/hour under the same usage just a couple months ago.

I have iOS 13 public beta on my phone, but I wouldn't think that would have any effect if I'm away from my phone on LTE.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

In 10 months I've gone from a 2-day battery charge with a comfortable margin for overnight charging every other day, to consistently crapping out early/mid afternoon on the second day if I don't charge it every night, so yeah, battery degradation is pretty bad. :smith:

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I think I went nearly 3 years on the OG watch before the battery got so bad it couldn't last through the day or even a run. Before you buy a new one/new battery I'd suggest a re-pair though. That helped me fix the battery again for a couple months or so.

lignicolos
Dec 6, 2001

Warbird posted:

Does anyone else get the call in progress notification at the top of their watch for a while after the call wraps up? Seems to happen fairly often to me.

Yes, in fact I noticed it for the first time today. Series 3 with 5.3.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Zwille posted:

I think I went nearly 3 years on the OG watch before the battery got so bad it couldn't last through the day or even a run. Before you buy a new one/new battery I'd suggest a re-pair though. That helped me fix the battery again for a couple months or so.

Mine made it a good two years and I managed to limp along till the series 3 dropped. My launch series 3 is still going strong and I haven’t noticed any real battery drop.

I can and have gone two days with a 1 hour work out on each day.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

Does the beta have the new watchfaces? I'd like some new watchfaces.

On the series 4 a bunch of cool ones, new complications as well.. built in Loudness warning which is pretty nice.
I love this new Solar one and another infographic thing which utilises the larger screen quite well.

S3 and under gets about 3 or so, no loudness app either.

;__… the clown has left my pipes since the latest beta update. I miss you, ghost clown.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

stirlo posted:

;__… the clown has left my pipes since the latest beta update. I miss you, ghost clown.

I’m not on beta how do I meet the ghost clown

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Warbird posted:

I get the audio playing icon at the top even if nothing is playing. And even sometimes if I haven’t played anything in a while.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Clark Nova posted:

In 10 months I've gone from a 2-day battery charge with a comfortable margin for overnight charging every other day, to consistently crapping out early/mid afternoon on the second day if I don't charge it every night, so yeah, battery degradation is pretty bad. :smith:

My series 4 is starting to get bad too. I’m gonna see if the battery is degraded before the warranty is up soon.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

Grassy Knowles posted:

I’m not on beta how do I meet the ghost clown

Well.. if I don’t report it, and you are cooking chicken you’ll get to meet him!

(I was just grilling up some nice chicken on a pan; white noise from the Range Hood is now triggering Hey Siri..)

Or the ghost-clown got cold in the water pipes and has now moved into the nice warm spot above the stove. Either is equally possible!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Strangely, my launch day Series 2 is trucking along with great battery life still.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

My 4 seems fine. I charge it while in the shower, and that gets me through the day with sleep tracking.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

How do I stop sharing with myself? I can’t swipe to delete it and my name doesn’t show up if I tap the person/head icon in the top right.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I don’t think you can, I think that’s there so you can see what the other person sees of you. I have it too.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

I recorded two Strava bike rides for 17 miles yesterday and they didn’t give me my goddamn National Parks health award. I demand a refund!

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

iluvpr0n posted:

I recorded two Strava bike rides for 17 miles yesterday and they didn’t give me my goddamn National Parks health award. I demand a refund!

It can sometimes take a little bit (I hope). I logged a >3 mile bike ride with Workouts directly and don’t have the award yet. :ohdear:

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I'm thinking of upgrading my phone in the fall which makes me think about upgrading my s2 too.

Are software updates faster on the newer watches or the same?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Housh posted:

I'm thinking of upgrading my phone in the fall which makes me think about upgrading my s2 too.

Are software updates faster on the newer watches or the same?

If you disable Bluetooth on your phone, updates are forced to WiFi, which is a little faster, but just do them overnight and quit worrying about it.