Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I'll be in Vienna for 3 days and have added the Austrian National Library to my very short list of things to do. So far the lists consists of:

1. Schoenbrun Palace
2. Austrian National Library (globe/papyrus)
3. Mozarts Place
4. Walk around and drink

I've added the Austrian National Library because way downstream in the thread some one mentioned it had the Tabula Peutingeriana. I'm also interested in seeing their globe collection.

Any other cool things to see or recommend? will post pictures.

I'll also be in Barcelona for 3 days but not sure if theres things of a similar vein but not sure if that ask is a match for this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

HEY GUNS posted:

edit: i've seen plenty of small bristly dogs in early modern paintings, maybe terriers were around but people just didn't write about them?

I think those were toy dogs. I've seen a lot of portraits with little dogs, but no hunting scenes.

Dachshunds seem to have been around from at least the 18th century, but I think that's parallel evolution. As far as I know there's no major overlap in bloodlines between them and terriers.

This is a pure guess, but I suspect that the small size and the courage of toy dogs was bred into hunting dogs to create terriers. Fearlessness is an important quality in a toy dog, because scared dogs will bite.

Ferrets, on the other hand, seem to have been bred since antiquity.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Mr Enderby posted:

I think those were toy dogs. I've seen a lot of portraits with little dogs, but no hunting scenes.

Dachshunds seem to have been around from at least the 18th century, but I think that's parallel evolution. As far as I know there's no major overlap in bloodlines between them and terriers.

This is a pure guess, but I suspect that the small size and the courage of toy dogs was bred into hunting dogs to create terriers. Fearlessness is an important quality in a toy dog, because scared dogs will bite.

Ferrets, on the other hand, seem to have been bred since antiquity.

Dachshunds are working dogs though? Badger hunters.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

LingcodKilla posted:

Dachshunds are working dogs though? Badger hunters.

Yes, that's what I was saying. Dachshunds are earth dogs like terriers, but I think that terriers were bred separately.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Mr Enderby posted:

pits are technically terriers. is a small terrier a large dog bred down? or is a pit/amstaff/etc a small terrier bred to be bigger?

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

HEY GUNS posted:

pits are technically terriers. is a small terrier a large dog bred down? or is a pit/amstaff/etc a small terrier bred to be bigger?

Pits are from the old bull baiting breeds (basically small mastiffs) bred with terriers. The terrier blood was added for courage, because terriers were thought to be the bravest dogs.

Edit: in Garm: a hostage Kipling describes a dog that sounds very much like a modern pit as a " two parts bull and one terrier".

Mr Enderby fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 26, 2019

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

HEY GUNS posted:

the same guy who wrote about seeing peppers in his diary also wrote about spaying one of his hunting dogs himself

early modern surgery was more extensive than most people think

edit: i've seen plenty of small bristly dogs in early modern paintings, maybe terriers were around but people just didn't write about them?

“It was around but nobody wrote it down” makes me want a time machine just to scream at the literate classes.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The problem is you not only had to write it down, you had to convince the ensuing two millennia of scribes that your work was worth preserving and copying

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Mr Enderby posted:

Pits are from the old bull baiting breeds (basically small mastiffs) bred with terriers.
kind of glad that happened. Mastiffs are good boys but you have to really like..skin.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Light switches will be a mystery someday.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

HEY GUNS posted:

kind of glad that happened. Mastiffs are good boys but you have to really like..skin.

slobber.

it's the slobber that's the ehhhhh part

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

LingcodKilla posted:

slobber.

it's the slobber that's the ehhhhh part
everywhere

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ynglaur posted:

Nah, we have the Smart Lights (TM) instruction guides that people printed out!

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Mr Enderby posted:

Pits are from the old bull baiting breeds (basically small mastiffs) bred with terriers. The terrier blood was added for courage, because terriers were thought to be the bravest dogs.

ugh. . . I know you're speaking of early breeders, but this is still basically how a lot of breeders talk and I hate it so much. There's so much pseudoscience that get's a pass, even in big national organizations.

I think my favorite ancient dog breed is the Salish Wool Dog

Look at that fuzzy little guy :3: This breed was kept by pacific northwest Indians and shorn every summer. The wool for the blanket in the picture came from those little doggies. Sadly after the introduction of cheap European yarn and cloth in the mid-late 19th century, the Salish Indians ceased to maintain the breed and the wool dog type disappeared. Today the vast majority of North American dogs are descended from European stock, their spread mirroring that of European humans.

Even as wool dogs declined as an identifiable breed some continued to exist into the mid 20th century. By 1950 or so there was no longer any trace of them.

This picture is from the nineteen thirties, and depicts a 14 year old dog still shorn for its wool each year. One of the last :911:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
THAT'S A FUZZY LITTLE GUY :neckbeard:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I need to vent how annoyed I am at the Rise of Rome campaign that got added to Rome 2 Total War. Who the gently caress. CA can be loose with their history, but why on earth was this designed so I have a civil war to put down every ten or fifteen turns as the Romans? It's 390 BCE! The first revolting noble civil war was in 88. Some loving dildo was just "Oh Romans they have civil wars right?" and put this poo poo in.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Grand Fromage posted:

I need to vent how annoyed I am at the Rise of Rome campaign that got added to Rome 2 Total War. Who the gently caress. CA can be loose with their history, but why on earth was this designed so I have a civil war to put down every ten or fifteen turns as the Romans? It's 390 BCE! The first revolting noble civil war was in 88. Some loving dildo was just "Oh Romans they have civil wars right?" and put this poo poo in.

Maybe don't abuse the plebes then

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Grand Fromage posted:

Well obviously you're just a worse leader than the consuls of the time

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

FAUXTON posted:

Maybe don't abuse the plebes then

See, if it were a conflict of the orders deal I'd be okay with it. It's not. There's just a timer and at the end of it, a noble house raises legions against you and you have to put them down. Over and over and over.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

The problem is you not only had to write it down, you had to convince the ensuing two millennia of scribes that your work was worth preserving and copying

That’s why I always draw cool poo poo in the margins.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

I feel like they recently patched in civil wars to occur a hell of a lot more. I had a game of base Rome 2 I went back to recently after sitting on it for months. When I'd left it, I was in the late game, had expanded across North Africa, Gaul, and Spain, and everything was pretty drat stable. No unrest, all the major families in balance, etc... Six months later I load up the game, first time I hit the next turn button I get the "Civil War Imminent" notification. The turn after that my empire explodes. Super annoying.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I feel like they recently patched in civil wars to occur a hell of a lot more. I had a game of base Rome 2 I went back to recently after sitting on it for months. When I'd left it, I was in the late game, had expanded across North Africa, Gaul, and Spain, and everything was pretty drat stable. No unrest, all the major families in balance, etc... Six months later I load up the game, first time I hit the next turn button I get the "Civil War Imminent" notification. The turn after that my empire explodes. Super annoying.

I don't know what the gently caress they were thinking. I spend more than half my time retaking cities I already owned. It's not a challenge, it's just annoying.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Yeah that's not Rome specific, it's a game mechanic they added a couple of years back. There are lots of mods that remove it if it's super frustrating, but you can mostly/completely (for me I find it depends a bit the faction) avoid them if you manage the politics properly.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Any timer based interruptions are annoying.

Spore had a literal 5 minute timer for you to get an urgent message pulling you away from your exploration

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Waroduce posted:

I'll be in Vienna for 3 days and have added the Austrian National Library to my very short list of things to do. So far the lists consists of:

1. Schoenbrun Palace
3. Mozarts Place
4. Walk around and drink

I've added the Austrian National Library because way downstream in the thread some one mentioned it had the Tabula Peutingeriana. I'm also interested in seeing their globe collection.

I'll also be in Barcelona for 3 days but not sure if theres things of a similar vein but not sure if that ask is a match for this thread

Imperial Regalia at the treasury in the Hofburg.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
Hey Grand Fromage, would you have a book tip about how the Byzantine state was set up, administration-wise and so on? If there's something that gives an overview of how it evolved, all the better, but I can do with something else too.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Waroduce posted:

1. Schoenbrun Palace
3. Mozarts Place
4. Walk around and drink

Go see one of the many wonderful concerts they hold. Their classical musical heritage is top notch.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Kemper Boyd posted:

Hey Grand Fromage, would you have a book tip about how the Byzantine state was set up, administration-wise and so on? If there's something that gives an overview of how it evolved, all the better, but I can do with something else too.

I'm currently reading The Byzantine Republic by Anthony Kaldellis which covers aspects of this. It depends what time period you're interested in though, there are a number of major changes in state administration throughout its history.

I'd just point you here: https://thehistoryofbyzantium.com/bibliography/

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm currently reading The Byzantine Republic by Anthony Kaldellis which covers aspects of this. It depends what time period you're interested in though, there are a number of major changes in state administration throughout its history.

I'd just point you here: https://thehistoryofbyzantium.com/bibliography/

Thanks for the protip, I'm reading this as background research for RPG writing (faux-Roman Principate-era Empires are boring so I am doing a Byz thing instead) so specific periods are not all that important in this case, the end product will probably mix and match different things as I see fit.

Started reading the Routledge "The Byzantine World" as light backup reading so I don't have to rely on my Crusader Kings 2 experience. Before this, I read Lost To The West but it was incredibly racist towards muslims so I don't much feel like reading it again.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Grand Fromage posted:

See, if it were a conflict of the orders deal I'd be okay with it. It's not. There's just a timer and at the end of it, a noble house raises legions against you and you have to put them down. Over and over and over.

Oh that's dumb, even moreso that it's doing that with Rome!

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Waroduce posted:

1. Schoenbrun Palace
3. Mozarts Place
4. Walk around and drink

The Imperial Crypt

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Grand Fromage posted:

Do you manage your politics? It's supposed to be there to add difficulty once you start steamrolling

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Waroduce posted:

1. Schoenbrun Palace
3. Mozarts Place
4. Walk around and drink

The City History Museum in the Places del Rei in Barcelona has a whole bunch of subterranean Roman ruins which are pretty cool and is thread relevant.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ynglaur posted:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ynglaur posted:

We don't need to wonder what the hyperintelligent mollusk tribes of post-thermonuclear Earth won't know.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't know what the gently caress they were thinking. I spend more than half my time retaking cities I already owned. It's not a challenge, it's just annoying.

If it helps, Warhammer Total War isn't much better.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Atleast the early game is fun, taking over veii early enough to not get stomped by your neighbours is a challenge even if its hard because they cheat.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The DEI mod is really fun and also hard as gently caress.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Ynglaur posted:

There was a widely used system of abbreviations developed over decades to use in telegrams. In one generation, ONE, telegram style was entirely forgotten by people who would end up shaking their heads at "kids these days" using abbreviations in SMS. We have incredibly short memories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

There was a widely used system of abbreviations developed over decades to use in telegrams. In one generation, ONE, telegram style was entirely forgotten by people who would end up shaking their heads at "kids these days" using abbreviations in SMS. We have incredibly short memories.

Kids haven't used sms abbreviations in like a decade.