Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

The Glumslinger posted:

I know that when he was finishing up History of Rome, Duncan was discussing that his next podcast might be a history of the US political parties and their realignments, so New Deal would fit squarely into that project if he ever does that

Excited for dinesh vs duncan if the political party stuff comes to pass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Duncan has talked about his American parties podcast idea for a while, but the German Revolution thing is new.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
Something true is coming back on july 16th, for all of you who enjoy strange stories from the dustbins of history.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Medieval Death Trip is pretty good.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Anyone have suggestions for sci-fi/horror or otherwise spooky informational podcasts that aren't about conspiracy theories or murders? Imaginary Worlds would fit into what I'm thinking, but not Astonishing Legends.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
There was something on the same website as inward empire that sounded similiar to that excellent podcast, but was about horror myths, but the name escapes me.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

feedmyleg posted:

Anyone have suggestions for sci-fi/horror or otherwise spooky informational podcasts that aren't about conspiracy theories or murders? Imaginary Worlds would fit into what I'm thinking, but not Astonishing Legends.

I mean, I'm not sure how deep you're looking, but Lore is the OG for this.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

feedmyleg posted:

The HP Lovecraft Literary Podcast, they've finished with Lovecraft himself years ago and now do stories from other authors. It's often spooky.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Grevling posted:

The HP Lovecraft Literary Podcast, they've finished with Lovecraft himself years ago and now do stories from other authors. It's often spooky.

Seconded. It turned me on to dozens of great authors and is a nice excuse to read at least one short story every week. The Lovecraft episodes are great too but it gets tiresome reading nothing but Lovecraft every week since he has maybe 7 great stories whereas the rest range from good to drivel.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

Grevling posted:

Do you have any recommended episodes?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Subscribed to this, great suggestions, thanks!

Still trying to sift through the Dark Myths Collective's archived broken site since they appear to be down, though.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Do you have any recommended episodes?

It's been a while since I listened to the older episodes and a lot of the newer ones are patreon exclusive. I'd recommend just looking at episodes and seeing if there's something that looks interesting. There are hundreds of episodes. You don't really have to read the stories beforehand imo if you're strapped for time, they always through the plot.

I guess one that I really liked is the three-parter on The Events at Poroth Farm.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I just finished all of Mike Duncan's public catalogue. Feels bittersweet

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Arrhythmia posted:

He did the reading of his book for Audible if you've missed that somehow

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

uPen posted:

He did the reading of his book for Audible if you've missed that somehow

I already bought a copy.

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010
Why did none of you idiots tell me there was a new episode of Inward Empire?

gently caress!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Arrhythmia posted:

He did an interview with Chapo's Matt Christman that iirc isn't on any of his sites. A rare Duncan.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Dikkfor posted:

gently caress!

It was a few pages back yo

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

He did an interview with Chapo's Matt Christman that iirc isn't on any of his sites. A rare Duncan.

Already listened to that one too, and I'm not so desperate that I'm going to start listening to his baseball stuff.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

How about his episodes on the 10 american presidents podcast then.

http://www.10usp.com/episode2-washington-mike-duncan-answers-your-questions/
http://www.10usp.com/ep3-washington-mike-duncan/

I haven't listened in a long while, but I remember Dan Carlin's episode on Nixon winding up being pretty surprising.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

I haven't listened in a long while, but I remember Dan Carlin's episode on Nixon winding up being pretty surprising.

Which episode was this?

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Dikkfor posted:

gently caress!

FWIW if you're like me and try to wait until the series is done, this episode ends with Diem solidifying his power in South Vietnam. There's going to be at least one more episode in the series.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Count Roland posted:

Which episode was this?

It was the one Dan Carlin did, about Nixon.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
If you're really desperate for more of Duncan, he also pops up as a talking head on Netflix's Roman Empire show. It's pretty jarring the first time it happens!

Mr_Roke
Jan 1, 2014

Just want to pop in and say 13 Minutes to the Moon is pretty great. BBC podcast about the Moon landing.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Gonna second the recommendation for the The HP lovecraft literary podcast. Listened to a couple of free episodes on spotify and then signed up to their patreon and have been hella binging on their episodes during night shifts since, this poo poo rules & owns

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Folks,
https://twitter.com/mikeduncan/status/1165036751850737664

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

It was inevitable, and good.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

interesting and very good. i always remember reading about how he was a liberal type of some sort.

https://twitter.com/MarxWazowski/status/1165072794234871808

as someone who was a history major in college, i agree with this response

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Aug 24, 2019

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
There's only so many times you can read (or listen to) the liberals and the left worked together for reforms, until the liberals had what they wanted and stabbed the left in the back, then the right came back and crushed them, before you see the pattern.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

GodFish posted:

There's only so many times you can read (or listen to) the liberals and the left worked together for reforms, until the liberals had what they wanted and stabbed the left in the back, then the right came back and crushed them, before you see the pattern.

https://youtu.be/XkY88kvkdvU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I thought this one was pretty good too

https://twitter.com/mikeduncan/status/1165431022877577216

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I'd listen to that.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Starts writing a history series on revolutions, becoms revolutionary.

Welcome comrade.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I try not to cargo cult Mike Duncan's politics on current events too much from his tweets.

It's clear he hates the Right. And he isn't too fond of Obama/Clinton/Trudeau liberalism.

But he seems to be very skeptical of Sanders and Corbyn, though the reasons why seems to be all over the place. Sometimes I get the impression he doesn't think they go far enough; but other times his tweets suggest they go too far and are too unpopular to win. So :shrug: One recent tweet seems to be pro-Warren, but or maybe it's not.
https://twitter.com/mikeduncan/status/1163955388280180736?s=20

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 26, 2019

coathat
May 21, 2007

If you pay 2 bucks a month on patreon you can now get age of napoleon without commercials

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

coathat posted:

If you pay 2 bucks a month on patreon you can now get age of napoleon without commercials

I'm not sure I could survive without being told how to save money on my car insurance 3-4 times in an hour.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I already listen ad free through the magic of the fast forward button

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Are there any good podcasts about the dark ages, migration age Europe, all that jazz? I’ve always been really interested in the period after the fall of Rome to the tenth century, but it’s hard to find good stuff outside of Wikipedia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

a fatguy bald spot posted:

Are there any good podcasts about the dark ages, migration age Europe, all that jazz? I’ve always been really interested in the period after the fall of Rome to the tenth century, but it’s hard to find good stuff outside of Wikipedia.

Fall Of Rome and Tides Of History are quite well-done.