Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

:colbert:

It didn't become available until a few months after Descent II released though. You'd hear stories of guys mowing through these things every six months because the hat switches would break off from playing too much Descent.

I used mine exclusively for Freespace and stuck to keyboard only for the Descents because I'm a masochistic shithead.

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

get on my level

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Hwurmp posted:

get on my level

Checks out:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
No way to fire Flares or change weapons. Fail. ;)

Descent: come for the action, stay for the discussion on the best way to control your ship. :)

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

These were also a thing around the era of Descent/Descent II but I've never seen one or known anyone who had one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpaceOrb_360

Looking at the pic I'm not really sure how it's supposed to work.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Two missions today, as the second one is pretty short!

COMMENTARY (With Leylite and Speedball) - NO COMMENTARY - 13:05

COMMENTARY (With Lazyfire and Speedball) - NO COMMENTARY - 5:40

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Fabulousity posted:

3D controllers do tend to be kinda "wait but how???"

Looking around, seems that the SpaceOrb 360 is meant to be held in both hands vaguely like a normal controller, and then add on multi-finger... ball fondling.
Followups like Logitech's 3DConnexion's SpaceMouse go back to stabilizing the controller on a surface rather than the sort of two handed oppositional situation going on with the SpaceOrb 360.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I've got a 3dconnexion spacemouse thing at work, it's super great for 3D and 2D CAD work. I've never tried making it work for games, though - I think there is a way to set up generic XML files for mapping the axes to keyboard or mouse inputs. One day I'll give it a try...

[edit] Oh my god the "drop" at the end

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Aug 5, 2019

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Fabulousity posted:

These were also a thing around the era of Descent/Descent II but I've never seen one or known anyone who had one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpaceOrb_360

There's an LGR on it. Phoneposting but pretend I linked it.

E: Whoops, already linked above.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Aug 6, 2019

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Fish Noise posted:

3D controllers do tend to be kinda "wait but how???"

Looking around, seems that the SpaceOrb 360 is meant to be held in both hands vaguely like a normal controller, and then add on multi-finger... ball fondling.
Followups like Logitech's 3DConnexion's SpaceMouse go back to stabilizing the controller on a surface rather than the sort of two handed oppositional situation going on with the SpaceOrb 360.

In regards to SpaceMouse: I don't even do 3D or CAD work and now I want one and I'm not sure why or what'd I even use it for. Am I about to be doing a Capitalism?

Also watched the most recent videos. You executed an excellent concussion missile snipe at 5:10 in Oberon mine. :thumbsup:

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Fabulousity posted:

In regards to SpaceMouse: I don't even do 3D or CAD work and now I want one and I'm not sure why or what'd I even use it for. Am I about to be doing a Capitalism?
some of these novel/niche interface devices really have a way of sending your brain into "must tuch" mode real bad

berryjon
May 30, 2011

COMMENTARY (With Leylite and Speedball) - NO COMMENTARY - 11:28

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

That was a wild ending to the level.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

A little early today because my schedule at work tomorrow doesn't lend itself to uploading and processing.

COMMENTARY (With Speedball) - NO COMMENTARY - 25:49

berryjon
May 30, 2011

COMMENTARY (With Leylite) - NO COMMENTARY - 17:52

berryjon fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 25, 2019

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

The link to the commentary video seems to not be working.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Fix'd.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Wow, exactly as you said the game really shines with these medium-sized rooms. I was actually thinking you could have busted out the vulcan for some hitscan action on the more nimble enemies.

It's still total bullshit how difficult it is to dodge homing missiles - it feels like you really can't jink them or lead them into walls, you need a piece of cover directly between you and the missile.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
As I understand it, the missile's homing ability is tied to your framerate or something.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

As I understand it, the missile's homing ability is tied to your framerate or something.
Yeah, I pretty distinctly recall being able to outmaneuver them way back when.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Mordja posted:

This is it, the homing missiles are a lot nastier now on modern computers than they were on release. There's more discussion of the exact mechanics upthread, but on release they were definitely dodge-able.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

One of the things that the Rebirth mod that I'm using does specifically is limit the turn speed of Homing missiles due to the nature of the faster computers nowadays.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

All recording for Descent is completed. Question for the thread - should I turn this into a Descent Megathread for all the games, or make separate threads for each game? Given that I'm planning on doing 4 or 5 games, a second opinion would be nice.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

berryjon posted:

All recording for Descent is completed. Question for the thread - should I turn this into a Descent Megathread for all the games, or make separate threads for each game? Given that I'm planning on doing 4 or 5 games, a second opinion would be nice.

Megathread is fine.

Not much to say the last few levels, pretty much in the endgame with not too much to say until the final level :unsmigghh:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Descents 1, 2, 3 and Overload? What would the 5th be, Forsaken?

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Any room for me to be a co-commentator on Descent 2?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Mordja posted:

Descents 1, 2, 3 and Overload? What would the 5th be, Forsaken?

D3:Mercenaries.

Solitair posted:

Any room for me to be a co-commentator on Descent 2?

Discord is upthread. Next recording session will be next weekend to get through the last three levels.

Also, as an aside, going straight from the end of D1 into the start of D2, the difficulty drops so much I make it look easier than normal.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Mordja posted:

What would the 5th be
Red Faction :v:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I think a megathread is fine.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
Since Descent 1, 2, and Vertigo are all the same engine, at least keep them together, but either way is fine with me.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Fish Noise posted:

Red Faction :v:

Descent: Freespace is #5 :haw:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

mastersord posted:

Since Descent 1, 2, and Vertigo are all the same engine, at least keep them together, but either way is fine with me.

I uh....

Don't have Vertigo. Never got my hands on it.

Fabulousity posted:

Descent: Freespace is #5 :haw:

It's been suggested in the Discord, that's for sure.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

berryjon posted:

I uh....

To my knowledge D2 Vertigo is not available for purchase anywhere today. I'm not sure what that means regarding forum rules on :filez: but I will say even those with the weakest Google-fu could theoretically make the necessary files materialize on their hard drive without much trouble. It's worth a look since Vertigo is extraordinarily beefy for an expansion pack by today's standards: 20 or so new levels, new robots, new music, and new game modes. I still have the CDs somewhere but don't recall if I ever finished it. Mine design in Descent 2 gets pretty abstract and Vertigo cranks that even further so I'd get lost all the time.

The original Descent also had a Levels of the World retail pack which is similarly not for sale but may or may not be floating around the Internet.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

berryjon posted:

It's been suggested in the Discord, that's for sure.

Freespace is real good but it's really not Descent. The claustrophobia of Descent isn't really in Freespace in the same way.

berryjon posted:

I uh....

Do you have an email for LP-related questions?

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 31, 2019

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'd say a new thread could give it a bit more exposure.
And yeah, Freespace is a game that really deserves LPing but it's got the Descent brand for marketing. Fairly sure even Freespace 2 got rid of that.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Bellmaker posted:

Freespace is real good but it's really not Descent. The claustrophobia of Descent isn't really in Freespace in the same way.
Freespace, Silent Threat and FS2 would deserve their own thread, and not be part of this one. But I've committed to doing Descent, so I might as well focus on that.

quote:

Do you have an email for LP-related questions?
No, but I do have PMs, or you can PM me through the Discord channel if you want - and that's totally not a back door offer to join the commentary crowd!

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

How about one big thread and the subtitle can change as the games do?

"Descent LP Station: Descent 1 - 6 Degrees of OSHA Violations"
"Descent LP Station: Descent 2 - No Honor Among Thief Bots"
etc.

Regarding Freespace and prefixing "Descent" to the name:

quote:

FreeSpace was Volition's first project after the split from Parallax Software, which also spawned Outrage Entertainment. It is not part of the canon of the Descent computer game series, and contained none of its ideas and only small portions of its code. It was only prefixed with Descent to avoid trademark issues with Mijenix Corporation's "FreeSpace", a disk compression utility.

In Europe they named it Conflict: Freespace which probably should've been used globally but I guess someone at Interplay thought the association with Descent would help sales. By the time Freespace 2 came around I'm not sure if Interplay felt the "2" made it different enough, they stopped caring, or someone from Mijenix confirmed they didn't care.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Fabulousity posted:

How about one big thread and the subtitle can change as the games do?

"Descent LP Station: Descent 1 - 6 Degrees of OSHA Violations"
"Descent LP Station: Descent 2 - No Honor Among Thief Bots"

I just had the thread title changed by a friendly Mod, and I don't want to make a second request right away. Maybe in a couple weeks when I move on to D2.

No, I have to re-write the OP to indicate the change as well, but that can be done with the regular update tomorrow, I think.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

COMMENTARY (With Leylite) - NO COMMENTARY - 17:23

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

You have an audio desync issue towards the end of the commentated video. It's most noticeable when you're fighting the reactor and the self-destruct notification plays before the reactor is destroyed and the timer pops up, and also at the end of the video when the audio just cuts out abruptly a few seconds before the video ends.