Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I think they're chill as long as their evil god is asleep, but it was recently woken up by the Silver Surfer so they're all going crazy again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
iirc they also get mind-poisoned into madness or something if they bond to an rear end in a top hat, and that was Venom's deal

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Initially it was the complete opposite and Venom was the only member of its species that was interested in actual symbiosis instead of dominating its hosts completely and draining them dry.

The Carnage symbiote took that a step further and its personality was basically completely subsumed by Kasady's.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Lunatic Sledge posted:

iirc they also get mind-poisoned into madness or something if they bond to an rear end in a top hat, and that was Venom's deal

Sheesh, that Peter Parker, corrupting that poor innocent symbiote! What a menace!

EvilJay
Jul 25, 2005

I'm not a humongous Deadpool fan but that annual was amazing on every level.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

TwoPair posted:

It's definitely gone back and forth but Bendis established them as being peaceful in his GOTG run and even though Cates has been doing some stuff establishing them as servants of a mad space god I think the idea is that symbiotes are basically good as long as they're not mind controlled.

Of course I'll cede to resident Venomologist Gavok on the matter...

The original reveal was, as Lurdiak stated, the whole race were a bunch of space locusts that would go from planet to planet and suck the hosts dry. The Venom symbiote wanted actual symbiosis with its host and the others deemed it insane for its views. In Secret Wars, Spider-Man was unknowingly freeing an inmate from its prison. So the race is inherently evil outside of Venom, with its kin being a mixed bag. Carnage is pure evil, Hybrid is a pacifist egged on by its host's bloodlust, Scream is violent but kind of chills out over time and Toxin is like a well-meaning child who needs to be taught why killing is bad.

Then again, "Venom is the good one" became kind of bullshit when Mac Gargan happened and he essentially became Corporate Carnage.

So when Flash Thompson Venom was in the Guardians, the symbiote was drawn back to its home planet. Turned out that they're called klyntars and they're really peaceful by default. Venom lost its way because of having a psychotic first host and being too far away from the home planet for so long. The symbiote is cleansed and Flash becomes Venom: Space Knight. He gets a new solo series where the symbiote treats excessive violence like an addiction it needs to work through.

The first host was later revealed by Mike Costa to be a Kree soldier who wanted to weaponize the ability to shapeshift against the Skrulls. Depending on how you read it, it's either an expanded explanation or a retcon of "Venom is volatile because its first host was a psychotic monster." Also worth noting that a major plot thread in Costa's run was that the Venom symbiote was pregnant again and was scared that it was going to be another monster like its other children. The symbiote at least wanted its kid to be good and non-violent.

Then we get to the Cates run. Cates' whole deal appears to be, "I've read every Venom story and I don't think we've scratched the surface on the symbiote concept. In order to tell this story, I'm going to have to stack retcon onto retcon onto retcon." He's handwaved away things like Eddie's cancer and the idea that Eddie had a sister. He also introduced Knull, God of the Symbiotes and makes it apparent that the symbiotes are absolutely bad news. All that poo poo from Guardians of the Galaxy was an illusion and the team was unknowingly inside a giant, nightmarish planet-sized symbiote ball. The only real hope for a symbiote to not be a vicious hellbeast is to be away from Knull's mental grasp for long enough.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Gavok posted:

Then we get to the Cates run. Cates' whole deal appears to be, "I've read every Venom story and I don't think we've scratched the surface on the symbiote concept. In order to tell this story, I'm going to have to stack retcon onto retcon onto retcon." He's handwaved away things like Eddie's cancer and the idea that Eddie had a sister. He also introduced Knull, God of the Symbiotes and makes it apparent that the symbiotes are absolutely bad news. All that poo poo from Guardians of the Galaxy was an illusion and the team was unknowingly inside a giant, nightmarish planet-sized symbiote ball. The only real hope for a symbiote to not be a vicious hellbeast is to be away from Knull's mental grasp for long enough.

Oof.. I just wish we could get to a symbiote origin/explanation that's good enough to actually stick. Also "klyntar" is even worse than the word "moist"

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Gavok posted:

The original reveal was, as Lurdiak stated, the whole race were a bunch of space locusts that would go from planet to planet and suck the hosts dry. The Venom symbiote wanted actual symbiosis with its host and the others deemed it insane for its views. In Secret Wars, Spider-Man was unknowingly freeing an inmate from its prison. So the race is inherently evil outside of Venom, with its kin being a mixed bag. Carnage is pure evil, Hybrid is a pacifist egged on by its host's bloodlust, Scream is violent but kind of chills out over time and Toxin is like a well-meaning child who needs to be taught why killing is bad.

Then again, "Venom is the good one" became kind of bullshit when Mac Gargan happened and he essentially became Corporate Carnage.

So when Flash Thompson Venom was in the Guardians, the symbiote was drawn back to its home planet. Turned out that they're called klyntars and they're really peaceful by default. Venom lost its way because of having a psychotic first host and being too far away from the home planet for so long. The symbiote is cleansed and Flash becomes Venom: Space Knight. He gets a new solo series where the symbiote treats excessive violence like an addiction it needs to work through.

The first host was later revealed by Mike Costa to be a Kree soldier who wanted to weaponize the ability to shapeshift against the Skrulls. Depending on how you read it, it's either an expanded explanation or a retcon of "Venom is volatile because its first host was a psychotic monster." Also worth noting that a major plot thread in Costa's run was that the Venom symbiote was pregnant again and was scared that it was going to be another monster like its other children. The symbiote at least wanted its kid to be good and non-violent.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

Just want to point out that I wrote this post on the same day that I finished booking my honeymoon, so if I can make it, so can you.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Gavok posted:

Just want to point out that I wrote this post on the same day that I finished booking my honeymoon, so if I can make it, so can you.

...Did you just invite all of us to your honeymoon?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

CzarChasm posted:

...Did you just invite all of us to your honeymoon?

You win this round.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Speaking of not scratching the surface of symbiotes, the Fox animated series of all things brought up and immediately forgot something potentially really interesting about the symbiotes, which is the fact that they're incredibly long lived and due to the fact that they migrate from planet to planet bonding with people, they have the knowledge and wisdom of thousands of civilizations stored within them.

And that's why Venom drove that truck I guess.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

We need Murdock or Walters to explain how a marriage between a man, a woman, and a symbiote works. No man writes so many words about Venom without being under alien influence.

Not even going to get into the complications with the rings at Rhyno’s wedding.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Open Marriage Night posted:

We need Murdock or Walters to explain how a marriage between a man, a woman, and a symbiote works. No man writes so many words about Venom without being under alien influence.

There's been conjoined twins who got married, I figure it works a bit like that.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I am going to presume they changed the name of that symbiote god for the Swedish release unless they wanted to be real edgy.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

evilmiera posted:

I am going to presume they changed the name of that symbiote god for the Swedish release unless they wanted to be real edgy.

Hang on what

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Knull is the Swedish word for 'gently caress'.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Makes sense cause he’s a total fuckboy

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Real talk, how do you know about that?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

(Que Gavok coming in to talk about the time that Eddie and his Ex-Wife both wore the Symbiot at the same time.)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Yeah, "Red Hulk". Like they'd actually do something that insane. :rolleye:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://twitter.com/horoRX/status/1165762186574274560

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Skyman #3 (1947)

Iceman #3 (1985)

GLX-Mas Special #1 (2006)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles/Ghostbusters #2 (2014)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

That would have worked if you didn't stop him

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

venkman you cunning linguist

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

goatface posted:

Mindless one-bots

Ask and you shall receive. X-Men Black - Mojo:

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

TwoPair posted:

Ask and you shall receive. X-Men Black - Mojo:

This really reads like Nextwave Dialogue.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Mojo successfully pulled a Hojo

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Savidudeosoo posted:

This really reads like Nextwave Dialogue.

If I remember correctly it was written by Scott Aukerman of Comedy Bang Bang,

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

good day for a bris posted:

If I remember correctly it was written by Scott Aukerman of Comedy Bang Bang,

He did get the credit for creating the spitting mutant.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Original character don't steal

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

Makes sense cause he’s a total fuckboy

I mean, if they did have that and left the name as is, they absolutely should have the dialogue of the issue where he is introduced just consist of the Guardians giggling at him and refusing to say why.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Snackmar posted:

Oof.. I just wish we could get to a symbiote origin/explanation that's good enough to actually stick. Also "klyntar" is even worse than the word "moist"

Originally it was kylntar, as in The Kyln, the ancient planet-sized machinery keeping the Negative Zone out. Slightly famous for being blown the gently caress up at the start of the Annihilation storyline, and mostly famous for being a generic space prison in the Guardians of the Galaxy movie.

But someone typo'd the name about two seconds after it was first introduced, switching the Y and L around, and suddenly instead of a name meaning "goopy byproduct of the ancient primordial machine at the edge of the universe" it was a nonsense word that never got corrected. Not gonna lie, I kind of think they dropped the ball on that one.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Fuego Fish posted:

Originally it was kylntar, as in The Kyln, the ancient planet-sized machinery keeping the Negative Zone out. Slightly famous for being blown the gently caress up at the start of the Annihilation storyline, and mostly famous for being a generic space prison in the Guardians of the Galaxy movie.

But someone typo'd the name about two seconds after it was first introduced, switching the Y and L around, and suddenly instead of a name meaning "goopy byproduct of the ancient primordial machine at the edge of the universe" it was a nonsense word that never got corrected. Not gonna lie, I kind of think they dropped the ball on that one.

I remain convinced Bendis simply did not have an editor for most of his Marvel tenure.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

I remain convinced Bendis simply did not have an editor for most of his Marvel tenure.

The Sentry is a thumb-sucking manchild and not a noble man wrestling with his demons, okay?!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gavok posted:

The Sentry is a thumb-sucking manchild and not a noble man wrestling with his demons, okay?!

Carnage's main power is absorbing people's life force.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Lurdiak posted:

There were enough weird mistakes in other titles during that period that I doubt it was just his editor being lax, but yeah, he definitely didn’t give a poo poo.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Lurdiak posted:

Carnage's main power is absorbing people's life force.

We didn't know it but that was an early hint about Secret Wars where Ultimate Carnage's power was transferred to 616 Carnage for a little bit until he was ripped in half and then I don't know how he came back. Magic probably?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lurdiak posted:

These stupid movies make Google searching impossible, but pretend I posted the panel where the Avengers are in a crashing plane and Doctor Strange says "I can't use magic under these conditions!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

No context Manga panels!

A serious discussion on tropes!

Series - RaW Hero