Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Yeah not gonna lie, the game did have some really cool class designs, and diplomacy was neat. It's too bad the rest of the game was a dumpster fire.

Still, anyone who thinks Pantheon is going to be amazing is kidding themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Wasn't all the cool things about Vanguard made by basically the new guy behind Brad's back?

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
p99 green will be so much better than this game, and it will be a giant hellzone. so that tells you a lot.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Azubah posted:

Wasn't all the cool things about Vanguard made by basically the new guy behind Brad's back?

Supposedly Vanguard was done almost entirely in the last year before launch by a couple of programmers reassigned from the EQ teams using macros. Brad was MIA during almost all of the development time along with the cronies he populated his senior staff with.

Of course this is all hearsay from an anonymous poster on the Fires of Heaven board claiming to be one of those programmers. The post was also the source of the rumors about Brad breaking into peoples offices to look for Oxy.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Supposedly Vanguard was done almost entirely in the last year before launch by a couple of programmers reassigned from the EQ teams using macros. Brad was MIA during almost all of the development time along with the cronies he populated his senior staff with.

Of course this is all hearsay from an anonymous poster on the Fires of Heaven board claiming to be one of those programmers. The post was also the source of the rumors about Brad breaking into peoples offices to look for Oxy.

So basically brad mcquaid is better at making games when he is not making games

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Things are getting pretty bleak on the official forums.

Somebody pointed out that VR might be full of it when they claim, "We are 100% funded until launch." while they continue to miss all of their milestones by months or even years.

Pantheon poster Zorkon then made a very good argument in defense of VR:

After being mocked by a couple of other posters he elaborated on his theory:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It gives me life to see people desperately cling onto these failed crowdfunded MMOs that they invested a lot of money in. It hit them awhile ago that they threw their money away, they just refuse to accept it.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

lol the newsletter just came out

quote:

Greetings, Pantheon fans,

While the team continues work on animations, environment, systems, programming, and integrating the new, cleaner version of the Perception system, I wanted to take a moment to talk a little about how Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen is funded, and to introduce our newest revenue generator.

As you probably already know, the bulk of our funding comes directly from you, through crowdfunding. Your pledges allow us to keep the lights on and keep the team fed. Any time we see an increase in revenue, our creative and finance folks put their heads together to decide where it can best be invested in Pantheon. Do we bring on a permanent team member? Do we hire an outside contractor? Do we buy new tools? Or something else entirely? This process keeps us nimble in development and can accelerate production timelines.

We want to make sure each and every pledge is thanked appropriately, so we have a whole slew of different pledge rewards on offer. To date, we have received positive feedback about the pledge rewards, and we will continue to make tweaks from time to time, based on your feedback.

For some time now, we’ve heard a lot of people ask where they can get Pantheon merchandise, such as tee-shirts, coffee mugs, hats, and backpacks. We’re happy to say that you can start gearing up with Pantheon today at our new Pantheon Merch Store! Here’s the great bit: every bit of profit from the store goes into making Terminus a reality.

the rest of the newsletter is concept art and conceptual talk about classes and weapons lol

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

THIRTY DOLLARS FOR A COFFEE MUG

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

uh oh looks like the merch store isn't being very well-received!

https://www.reddit.com/r/PantheonMMO/comments/d5v6og/pantheon_merch_store_now_live/

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Maybe Kanye or Dave Chappelle will buy a bunch of merch along with their secret "use all the money you need" pledge.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

those prices might seem high, but you can't put a price tag on the info dump they just gave us about class design

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf
Imagine buying overpriced merchandise for a game that will never exist.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lmao they couldn't even find a vendor with an actual interesting or good coffee mug

I am so glad I procrastinated on preordering or whatever this loving garbage idiot dumpster fire

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
i am a grpahics designer please enjoy my mug design thanks and cheers :)

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
Just imagine a nerd with a pantheon mug sitting there drinking coffee eagerly awaiting a development update the morning they announce the game's cancellation

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Someone is probably collecting never again available failed game kickstarter merch by this point.

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf

Relayer posted:

Just imagine a nerd with a pantheon mug sitting there drinking coffee eagerly awaiting a development update the morning they announce the game's cancellation

It'll be this guy moments before he climbs into the bathtub with his toaster.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
This is my favorite game. I've got hours of entertainment out of this poo poo show and don't even have to play it. Worth every penny I've spent on it. ($0.00)

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Ehud posted:

THIRTY DOLLARS FOR A COFFEE MUG

this is nearly as funny as when star citizen charged $30 shipping per each item of merchandise. Want three of the same shirt? That'll be $90 shipping

I'm sure pantheon will do the same when the time is right

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
who wants to start a Failed Kickstarter Game merchandise collection with me?

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
sure just leave an empty space for my shroud of the avatar stuff that never turned up

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

some guy did a huge effort post on the pantheon reddit about why transmog is the worst thing ever

https://www.reddit.com/r/PantheonMMO/comments/dacxni/transmogrificationcosmetic_changing_of_gear_in/

honestly it's kinda fascinating how much some people hate Modern MMO features stuff, and I mean REALLY hate it

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

frajaq posted:

some guy did a huge effort post on the pantheon reddit about why transmog is the worst thing ever

https://www.reddit.com/r/PantheonMMO/comments/dacxni/transmogrificationcosmetic_changing_of_gear_in/

honestly it's kinda fascinating how much some people hate Modern MMO features stuff, and I mean REALLY hate it

Honestly, playing Classic WoW for ~20 hours was more than enough for me to really appreciate the advances made in the genre since then. I'm actually mildly concerned over the mental well-being of people pining for the days of 24+ hour camping for rare spawns and cross-world corpse runs and losing levels upon death and all that terrible, terrible stuff. I liked the older MMOs like EQ, etc., back in the day, but going back... they're... they're not great.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
People pining for those types of “features” aren’t remembering the game itself, but a moment in both gaming and their lives.... neither of which can be recaptured because 1) we all age and 2) the modern internet ain’t the turn of the willenium internet.

That said, I will play this game when it never comes out.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

quote:

I've spent hundreds of hours listening to podcasts and on videos about Pantheon up until now.

Man, that guy’s post is really something. Imagine spending hundreds of hours reading blogs about a game that will never come out. Jesus. Time to queue up the Pantheon song on Youtube again.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003

joshtothemaxx posted:

People pining for those types of “features” aren’t remembering the game itself, but a moment in both gaming and their lives.... neither of which can be recaptured because 1) we all age and 2) the modern internet ain’t the turn of the willenium internet.

It’s not really just that, otherwise P99 wouldn’t have a player base. I got a necro to 60 on p99 last year, and honestly loved every second of it.

The crazy corpse runs provide a genuine feeling of danger that puts you on the edge of your seat in a way that’s completely non existent in modern MMOs.

I will concede that these extremely punitive game mechanics run counter to what the majority of people enjoy, and will likely never allow a game to see the kind of mainstream success that WOW has. However, I think there is a demographic out there to whom they’re genuinely compelling, even when you discard nostalgia.

The multi day long camps are pretty miserable tbh. Not sure there’s much that could be argued is compelling about that. Not sure what the solution would be in a non-instanced game world though other than just not having items/spawns of that degree of rarity.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Also, there's at least one non-crazy person argument in favor of not having transmog - Being able to see at a glance how well geared your opponent is in a PVP situation. It makes a character visibly weak or powerful.

You're probably going to have far more people interested in being able to make their characters look good, though. Plus it keeps old art assets you spent resources making relevant even when the gear itself becomes outdated, so Transmog ends up having more upside in the long run.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

frajaq posted:

His entire argument boiled down to, "World of Warcraft had it."

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

retpocileh posted:

It’s not really just that, otherwise P99 wouldn’t have a player base. I got a necro to 60 on p99 last year, and honestly loved every second of it.

The crazy corpse runs provide a genuine feeling of danger that puts you on the edge of your seat in a way that’s completely non existent in modern MMOs.

I will concede that these extremely punitive game mechanics run counter to what the majority of people enjoy, and will likely never allow a game to see the kind of mainstream success that WOW has. However, I think there is a demographic out there to whom they’re genuinely compelling, even when you discard nostalgia.

The multi day long camps are pretty miserable tbh. Not sure there’s much that could be argued is compelling about that. Not sure what the solution would be in a non-instanced game world though other than just not having items/spawns of that degree of rarity.

I mean if you want combat with risk and failure soulslikes exist now.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Byolante posted:

I mean if you want combat with risk and failure soulslikes exist now.

if you think that's the kind of risk eq1 players like you are fundamentally not getting the point

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I like souls games. I like P1999 a lot despite not playing EQ1 much back in the day. I'm also having a blast with classic WoW. Currently level 60 and raiding.

Maybe people just prefer different things :shrug:

I have no faith at all in this game though.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

everquest was far more punishing than any soulslike.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Vargs posted:

I have no faith at all in this game though.

That's fair, there is zero reason to have any faith in Pantheon. Less to do with the gameplay though, and more to do with the fact that the devs have been working on a single zone for the game since like loving 2012. I am completely baffled that despite asking for additional funding, and apparently hiring new people, zero progress has been made on this game in the last 12+ months. Leading me to believe the devs are lying about their development.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Mario games are more punishing than the hack and slash which gives you infinite do-overs

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Mario also has infinite do-overs, they just take longer.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Brad McQuaid is high as gently caress

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/11130/added-2-dev-diaries/view/post_id/215930

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Haha, oh boy is that a rambling mess.

high as balls posted:

Anyway, we have a smarter and more mature community than, say, 1-2 years ago. I really don't mean that as an insult btw. We've also attracted more skeptics. Perhaps they were just lurking before. Perhaps they realize that, sadly, Pantheon is the only game that comes close to what they're looking for. There may have been others... I won't say competition... but others within the bubble which sits within MMOs in general. That bubble, assuming I'm right, that Pantheon is within, tells the public via FB or this site that Pantheon is pretty much defined by our tenets, FAQ, etc. The skeptic is looking at the other indie studios working on MMOs and he or she is trying to rediscover where they want to spend a lot of their time once they have access to the games, or at least most of them.

just, what the gently caress? the skeptics calling us on our bullshit, clearly because i'm high as balls and can see the future, will be the most diehard fans who NEED what we're offering? Sadly.

Man, i miss the old Pantheon thread, the one that Brad posted in back in 2015 or whatever and everyone laughed him off the forums. This kickstarter game experience has been amazing entertainment value.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 5, 2019

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

So he wrote that long, rambling rear end post and then asked other people to summarize all the questions in the thread for him? And then when someone actually did it he didnt bother to answer the questions? Did he go to sleep it off or something? Does it take that long to sleep off a benzo binge?

That his avatar is a picture of his EQ character seems appropriate. Brad, youre living in the past man. Youre hung up on some game from the 90s, man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

let me get this straight, this is the guy a lot of people gave large amounts of money?