Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Cao Ni Ma posted:

No, it’s pretty much decompression now. There won’t be enough time to rush through to the next combat arc if this is a typical 24 episode series.

Ah, unfortunate.

Really hope Ufotable's legal troubles don't preclude a good season 2. I'm not in love with the writing, but it's certainly good enough to keep me hanging around long enough for more lavish animation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

It's confirmed to be 26 EPs, my guess is that it will end after the boys get their power up breath forms and the kashira have all been introduced, and just as it teases the train arc

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also for the most part the Demons did not have a choice and were warped by Muzan. Tanjiro explains its it well that they are tragic creatures.

Also might as well just state this, when a Demon is dying memories of their lives flood into them.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I have absolutely no problem with Tanjiro pitying demons and offering them sympathy in their dying moments in general. It's cool and great and one of the big themes of the show.

But I have problem with the with portrayal of Rui and his Spider family. All of the members of Spider family, despite being mass-murdering monsters are also shown to be victims by Rui, who warped them, abused them and controlled them, making him pretty much directly responsible for their behavior and atrocities. Yet their deaths get barely a shrug (with exception of the mother who got shrug and sigh, which I agree is something, I guess?) . Rui, who is objectively thousand times worse than any member of his "family", being a hosed-up abuser and basically lesser version of Muzan, in addition to being a mass-murdering monster, gets all the song and dance of flashback with tragic backstory, realization that what he did was wrong in his last moments and vision of his parents forgiving him as he is engulfed in white light. While they all definitely deserved to die, Rui, gets lions share of humanizing, sympathy and pathos while the rest of the Spider family, outside of Spider mom, get none, which leaves me disliking the whole thing. Rui not getting any flashback this episode, leaving Spider mom the most sympathetic of the "family" would be ok, nut this way, its a mess. At least for me. :shrug:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I don't know about that. Whether they are actually forgiven is complicated because it's like, forgiven by whom? The victims? Tanjirou? God? Themselves? But I think it makes it pretty clear that they aren't beyond forgiveness, in the abstract.

Also, Tanjirou's attitude of being prepared to forgive murderers and cannibals while also 100% committed to stopping them, by force, from causing further harm -- and the show inhabiting his perspective and reinforcing it with flashbacks that he couldn't have known about -- is a good thing and a much better moral example than like 90% of media.

several demons are pretty explicitly shown going to hell after they die

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Don't worry Tomaiko I like you.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Lt. Lizard posted:

I have absolutely no problem with Tanjiro pitying demons and offering them sympathy in their dying moments in general. It's cool and great and one of the big themes of the show.

But I have problem with the with portrayal of Rui and his Spider family. All of the members of Spider family, despite being mass-murdering monsters are also shown to be victims by Rui, who warped them, abused them and controlled them, making him pretty much directly responsible for their behavior and atrocities. Yet their deaths get barely a shrug (with exception of the mother who got shrug and sigh, which I agree is something, I guess?) . Rui, who is objectively thousand times worse than any member of his "family", being a hosed-up abuser and basically lesser version of Muzan, in addition to being a mass-murdering monster, gets all the song and dance of flashback with tragic backstory, realization that what he did was wrong in his last moments and vision of his parents forgiving him as he is engulfed in white light. While they all definitely deserved to die, Rui, gets lions share of humanizing, sympathy and pathos while the rest of the Spider family, outside of Spider mom, get none, which leaves me disliking the whole thing. Rui not getting any flashback this episode, leaving Spider mom the most sympathetic of the "family" would be ok, nut this way, its a mess. At least for me. :shrug:

Boy I wonder if there were any parallels being drawn with the guy who preyed on a deathly sick child's feelings of weakness and helplessness and other trauma to create a monster.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Lt. Lizard posted:

sigh... of course Rui gets half of an episode for his tragic backstory, a moment of pity from good-boy Tanshiro and implied forgiveness in afterlife, because I guess he shown a regret in literally last second he spent living on this earth?

Yeah...whatever, at least this new stuff with Demon Hunter Organization looks great.
His parents forgave him, the afterlife does not. He is quite literally going to hell and his parents went with him to comfort him because the bond he shared with them was REAL- his transformation and Muzan made him forget that he had always had thing he sought.

The chapter's name for this episode is very specifically: "To Hell".

Also- becoming a demon makes you forget your life as a human and the degree to which that happens seems to be inversely connected to your power. Most feral demons are barely human mentally and are weak, the weaker demons are basically caricatures of what they used to be (i.e. the ball demon just remembered she liked to play, the former lower moon has vague memories of his writings/drum playing, etc), lower moons have decent but clearly manipulated/misinterpreted memories of their lives as humans, etc.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Aug 25, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Oh Snapple! posted:

Boy I wonder if there were any parallels being drawn with the guy who preyed on a deathly sick child's feelings of weakness and helplessness and other trauma to create a monster.

Rui even mimicked Muzan's pose.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Lets just say Muzan hand picks the moons for a reason.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
It's no secret: Tamayo wasn't making it up when she described Muzan as a petty and domineering paranoid for whom demons are tools to manipulate towards his ends (and whims).

I actually quite like how he hits all the sociopath marks and is therefore too impulsive to be a true scheming mastermind villain, and that the reason why despite all his power he doesn't confront the Demon Slayers personally is because he's a loving coward and won't risk running into someone capable of doing him in.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 25, 2019

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Bosses get backstory, mooks don't. What else is new.

I still feel like the series is just not quite getting to where I want it to be, but I'm a lot more invested now than I was a few episodes ago. Ufotable certainly seems to be elevating the series a hell of a lot.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Aug 25, 2019

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Dang and he didn't even get to send a blood sample.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Conspiratiorist posted:

It's no secret: Tamayo wasn't making it up when she described Muzan as a petty and domineering paranoid for whom demons are tools to manipulate towards his ends (and whims).

I actually quite like how he hits all the sociopath marks and is therefore too impulsive to be a true scheming mastermind villain, and that the reason why despite all his power he doesn't confront the Demon Slayers personally is because he's a loving coward and won't risk running into someone capable of doing him in.

It also potentially explains why he just makes demons sometimes. To keep the Corps busy and away from him.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Mr Muzan just wants to live a quiet life

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Mr. Fowl posted:

It also potentially explains why he just makes demons sometimes. To keep the Corps busy and away from him.

I mean that was literally his introduction scene. Muzan saw Tanjiro recognized him as a demon, noticed the demon slaying sword = tanjiro is demon corps, then made a demon to play distraction so he could leave in peace.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

The answer seems pretty simple to me. The sis or spider bro didn't get the same treatment because they weren't killed by Tanjiro. Tanjiro seems to be the only one to empathize with demons, and it's clear to the demon in how he acts during the fight. Butterfly girl has no empathy for demons and is honestly quite a bitch about it. Zenitsu was too busy with his internal problems to care about the monster he was killing.

Though, with Rui it's a bit weird, because it wasn't really Tanjiro who finished him off. But we do know that the guy who finished him off understands that it's possible to empathize with demons as he saw Tanjiro do it with Nezuko years ago and it helped tame her.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Someone said it and I think it's accurate that the series is mostly people telling Tanjirou to stop being such a good boy and empathising with demons or they'll end up killing him, then him continuing to be a good boy anyway

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Fabricated posted:

Someone said it and I think it's accurate that the series is mostly people telling Tanjirou to stop being such a good boy and empathising with demons or they'll end up killing him, then him continuing to be a good boy anyway

I was the one they were replying to, and I'm really glad they were right.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Yall weren't kidding about episode 19, holy cow

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Can someone tell me, even if it's a spoiler, why Tanjiro's big head scar switches between two different designs seemingly at random?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i never really paid close attention to when the show or manga swaps between the designs but the darker and unnatural looking form the scar can sometimes take is related to an extension of the breathing techniques that manifests in certain demon slayers

it's fairly far past where this season will end

e: actually i suppose it makes more sense to say as tanjiro has his normal scar and the weird version of it is more of a separate mark that manifests due to breaths and overrides the scar, for the sake of visual simplicity?

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Aug 28, 2019

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Okay thank you, as long as it's intentional, it was really bugging me!

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

hollering irl after seeing this while searching demon slayer on twitter.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

Can someone tell me, even if it's a spoiler, why Tanjiro's big head scar switches between two different designs seemingly at random?

I didn't even notice this was happening. When has it happened?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ViggyNash posted:

I didn't even notice this was happening. When has it happened?

Taka a look at Tanjiro scar at the beginning and then look at him now. I think it's even reflected in the OP.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

It doesn't change at random, they made sure it transitioned after a certain event and kept to that time line p well

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
It looks different after he removes the bandage on the head injury he got during the selection exam.

And yeah, it's not addressed until much further than where the anime will end, but Tanjiro thinks it just changed shape from the way the wound closed on top of his old burn scar.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

i love the love pillar

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I cant believe they were able to stretch this episode this much

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.

Alder posted:

i love the love pillar

She is indeed the best Pillar.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Nexuko is going to run into the sun to kick snake guy in the face and rescue Tanjiro and impress everyone because she's a good girl.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
kanroji ftw

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
man these guys are terrible, with maybe the exception of lovestruck and sleepy

I was pretty mad at p-p-p-poison last week but the rest of the pillars make her look soft and cuddly in comparison. I'm sure they're all in line for Vegeta-esque redemption but kinda would rather they get hoisted on their own zealous pitards.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

It is absolutely understandable that they all loving hate demons and just want to loving kill them all because up till now they have never witness a truly good girl like Nezuko.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

OnimaruXLR posted:

man these guys are terrible, with maybe the exception of lovestruck and sleepy

I was pretty mad at p-p-p-poison last week but the rest of the pillars make her look soft and cuddly in comparison. I'm sure they're all in line for Vegeta-esque redemption but kinda would rather they get hoisted on their own zealous pitards.

Shinobu is Literally Just Jabami Yumeko With A Sword, though, so it's not her who needs to adjust, it's everyone else.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Cao Ni Ma posted:

It is absolutely understandable that they all loving hate demons and just want to loving kill them all because up till now they have never witness a truly good girl like Nezuko.

It makes sense early on, and I can see why they're skeptical after Tanjiro's appeal, but when the boss says "One of your peers and one of your predecessors have agreed to kill themselves if this doesn't work out, and I, as your boss, have accepted their terms" and they're still like "MMM STILL SOUNDS FAKE, LET'S KILL EM BOTH" they've crossed over from "justifiably skeptical" to "I hope karma's coming for these fools"

Explains why doctor lady's sidekick is so protective, though

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The leader of this organization sure is something. Taking all these broken people and weaponizing their grief and pain. No wonder why demons exist when you have folks like these in high positions in this organization.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
the pillars are all very cool and i like the casting decisions for them, except for maybe uzui

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The idea as to why the Pillars 100% refuse to trust Nezuko even with guarantees from Ubuyashiki is because in their extensive experience they've flat out never seen a demon that hasn't eventually eaten someone. The Fire Pillar has the best point that even if she seems to be special the moment she eats someone all the promises for suicide mean nothing, because the innocent person she eats can't be brought back by others killing themselves.

Also another weird tidbit that the lack of narration skips over is that Ubuyashiki has his own kind of special ability in that his voice is referred to as "pink noise"- it seems to instantly create a calming sensation in anyone who hears it, which is part of why he can subdue the Pillars so easily.