Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
It's so funny to imagine Scary Monsters from Johnny's perspective. He's a teenager from Kentucky in the late 19th century, he has no loving idea what Diego just turned into other than it's beating the poo poo out of him. What a nightmare!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I like Diego's dino form has a DIO pattern.

Also that Johnny had no idea what a dinosaur is because it is the 1890s.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Expect My Mom posted:

Everyone has said it, but Diego is so refreshing and funny. This cast is so good, and can switch from serious conspiracy and mystery to absolute stupid comedy

You ever tell a joke so bad it just shocks people into complete silence?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Electric Phantasm posted:

I like Diego's dino form has a DIO pattern.

Also that Johnny had no idea what a dinosaur is because it is the 1890s.
People knew what dinosaurs were by then, you had the Bone Wars going on in the American West between Marsh and Cope going on for for twenty years during the 1870s. Johnny is just an ignorant farm boy.

Though Dromaeosaurus wasn't found until 1922, so they'd have no idea what a raptor was. (Scary Monsters turns you into a Utahraptor specifically)

Also Scary Monsters is just one of those peak Jojo stands, its fantastic. Just create a zombie apocalypse except with raptors whenever you want.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Aug 26, 2019

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

stage 3 has begun!!!!!!

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

“tell him to go eat poo poo Johnny!”

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

True Man's World is so dang good. I really really like Ringo.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i forgot i can use my signature now

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Meet the real ED song for Steel Ball Run:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9JN4aqMduo

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

True Man's World might be my favourite monster-of-the-week fight in all of JoJos. Especially that one panel after Gyro kicks in the door. I love how he can go from absolute doofus to The Coolest Motherfucker Who Ever Lived in a heartbeat.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Ringo's got the coolest time stand.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Seriously though, what is the original joke supposed to be here? I assume it's some kind of untranslatable Japanese wordplay?

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

4 = shi
2 = tsu
0 = rei

and "shitsurei" means "excuse me, I'm trying to get through"

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i can't link a clip since i'm at work right now but davidpro put a ref to the 'dark determination' shown in this week's segment in the OP for the part 1 anime where the fire in jonathan's eyes flickers black for a moment

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Johnny Joestar posted:

i can't link a clip since i'm at work right now but davidpro put a ref to the 'dark determination' shown in this week's segment in the OP for the part 1 anime where the fire in jonathan's eyes flickers black for a moment

I never quite got why they did that, other than for the sake of making the reference. Johnny's Dark Determination is his willingness to way too far to achieve his goal whereas Jonathan's just righteously pissed at the worst guy in the world who completely has it coming.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Doesn't Yukako do that as well?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm telling you, Johnny is filled with D E T E R M I N A T I O N.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

multijoe posted:

I never quite got why they did that, other than for the sake of making the reference. Johnny's Dark Determination is his willingness to way too far to achieve his goal whereas Jonathan's just righteously pissed at the worst guy in the world who completely has it coming.

i think they did it mainly because they could. also johnny is alt-universe jonathan i guess so whatever

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
As the series continues, it becomes clearer that Determination is a synonym for Ruthlessness and it needs some kind of mitigating factor to balance it out, and it's looked into pretty well with SBR. Jonathan is able to use his determination effectively because he's inherently kind and empathetic. Ruthlessness isn't the same thing as being cruel, it's just very direct and focused, but it needs other factors to help direct it.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I read DD as a Joestar quality that allows them to do poo poo to get the job done that would make even Dio/Kira/Diavolo’s etc skin crawl, but rarely does this quality need to be truly exercised

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
i've read true man's world probably three dozen times now but i never noticed the light ringo sees when he tries to take the second shot until this read cause it's much easier to see in color. also the way the rain dude "catches" the pigeon is so cool and hosed up.

dudermcbrohan fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 26, 2019

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Yeah Ringo is great but all i want is the Blackmore's fights animated, really.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I forgot that True Man's World is this early in SBR. What an amazing choice for a phrase.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Gruckles posted:

4 = shi
2 = tsu
0 = rei

and "shitsurei" means "excuse me, I'm trying to get through"
Yeah, pretty much all of Gyro's comic shtick interludes are Japanese puns so I really don't envy the subbers and dub crew if this ever gets animated.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Ah yes, here it is.

Yes.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

that panel in particular gets a lot of traction when it comes to 'out of context jojo' reactions

it kind of perfectly encapsulates the absolute batshit personalities and aesthetics of the average jojo villain of the week, that being a dandy dude covered in roses riding on top of a raptor who is yelling about how dinosaurs died because they're dipshits who didn't understand the concept of respect

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Accordion Man posted:

Yeah, pretty much all of Gyro's comic shtick interludes are Japanese puns so I really don't envy the subbers and dub crew if this ever gets animated.

They could replace it with a completely unrelated dumb joke? A 420 joke maybe? :v: Would be kinda anachronistic but hey, we're already swapping in metric system and modern money amounts just to make things understandable in the modern day.

As a new reader who's got lots of vague spoilers, one thing that surprised me this week was that Scary Monsters wasn't actually Diego's Stand. But now that he's got a corpse part, it apparently just went "eh this suits you though, just keep it it's your Stand now"? That's kind of funny.

Also why the hell can't Lucy become a Stand user! For a civilian she has some incredible loving balls.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
One thing that's probably a bit more obvious now is that the corpse parts work a lot like the arrows, in that they "choose" a user. One eye clearly rolled over to Gyro, so the left arm must have hitched a ride on Johnny, etc.

Johnny Joestar posted:

that panel in particular gets a lot of traction when it comes to 'out of context jojo' reactions

it kind of perfectly encapsulates the absolute batshit personalities and aesthetics of the average jojo villain of the week, that being a dandy dude covered in roses riding on top of a raptor who is yelling about how dinosaurs died because they're dipshits who didn't understand the concept of respect

I unironically love this panel so much. It's so dumb! I love it.

BaDandy fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 27, 2019

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Bifauxnen posted:

As a new reader who's got lots of vague spoilers, one thing that surprised me this week was that Scary Monsters wasn't actually Diego's Stand. But now that he's got a corpse part, it apparently just went "eh this suits you though, just keep it it's your Stand now"? That's kind of funny.

you actually reminded me, i'd meant to touch on that but forgot to. a thing to note is that by now it's pretty obvious that corpse parts seem to have a direct effect on their surroundings and the people in those surroundings. it's a neat touch that deviates from earlier parts and stuff like the requiem stand thing in part 5 (which i personally don't care for) by making the presence of these significant objects have influence over the development of stands but aren't just some direct upgrade kind of thing. things like the devil's palm or all the hosed-up rain happening in the latest segment were direct results of the parts being around and there's already multiple times where people have said they got their powers from ending up in a weird place that was probably right where a corpse bit happened to be.

in a way it's like an alternate take on the arrows from the earlier parts, except instead of a meteor getting made into a bunch of arrows that directly pull out stands you have shifting, passive influences that are littered around the country and seemingly pull out people's natural potential or basically perform what one could call miracles. their presence in someone's body can enhance something they already do or help unlock their potential in the first place. in diego's case it can be implied that the presence of being around all that stand poo poo and multiple corpse parts meant that he was due to probably develop his own stand, but since he absorbed one of the eyes while still kind of under the influence of ferdinand's scary monsters and ferdinand happened to die around the same time the stand sort of transferred to him because he was, in a way, still channeling it at the moment.

and yeah it fits him pretty well, so, hey. the corpse parts are neat as hell and part of why steel ball run's plot has some dope things going on.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Scary Monsters is a rad as hell Stand and I'm glad Araki realized this and gave it to Diego instead of letting it die with Ferdinand.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

BaDandy posted:

Ah yes, here it is.

Yes.

Dr. Ferdinand has got to be the most feminine-looking man Araki has ever drawn and that's saying something for Steel Ball Run.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Odd that Gyro can see stands like the pins on his hands but doesn't seem to have one.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I did not know that Ferdinand was a man until this thread

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I didn't either

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I like how Ferdinand has this fancy outfit even though he's a paleontologist, like you're going to wreck all those roses when you're digging up dinosaurs, dude.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Accordion Man posted:

I like how Ferdinand has this fancy outfit even though he's a paleontologist, like you're going to wreck all those roses when you're digging up dinosaurs, dude.

naw thats what your interns are for

let the students dig

im gonna lounge in the tent

----
jumbled reactions:

true mans world was incredible

i still l dont understand what the rain guy's powers were all about. I understood him stopping the rain and all that but i dont know why that would make it sharp, and i dont understand how he could melt himself and toss it on other people?

I hope hot pants can find justice for their cow :(

I love that Gyro is getting character development, every other zeppeli has just been a one or two note character solely there to support the jojo but not this time. As cocky and cool as he is he's quite the poseur!! But he's learning to be real after getting called out by The True Mans World fight. I think I need to go back and count the amount of times he gets shot in that fight counting all the rewinds.

I keep having issues understanding the steel balls. In my mind, I keep imagining that the balls are gyroscopic ones, with an internal ball the rotates while the casing stays steady, but this might not be the case and he's just spinning a solid steel ball them with "the spin"? I should find a real world example of this if people dont understand what i mean.

Between HP and mrs steel im happy to see some girls getting some time in the sun

Mountain tim you rule, but wtf man she's 14 cmon dude thats kinda weird!!! (i guess its not meant to be weird tho? is it that whole japanese age in fiction thing where 14 is young adult and 18 is middle age?)

bean mom fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Aug 27, 2019

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I thought it was meant to be less a Japanese thing than an old timey southern 'if she bleeds she's legal' thing, which I think makes Mountain Tim... Roy Moore in this scenario?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Gyro’s steel balls are just

Steel balls

The Spin is like Hamon/Ripple in that it’s just some weird martial arts bullshit with magic powers

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Sockser posted:

Gyro’s steel balls are just

Steel balls

The Spin is like Hamon/Ripple in that it’s just some weird martial arts bullshit with magic powers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrCWCFfM3ys

im just thinking of this kinda thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Zyla posted:

Mountain tim you rule, but wtf man she's 14 cmon dude thats kinda weird!!! (i guess its not meant to be weird tho? is it that whole japanese age in fiction thing where 14 is young adult and 18 is middle age?)

it's the source of some of my biggest gripes with part 7 and i'm sad to say it's not the last time someone is weird towards lucy steel

i don't really know how to explain it other than it maybe being a combination of araki just like halfway seemingly not comprehending the concept of age (like giorno is apparently goddamn 15 years old what the gently caress) and it being some idea that it was like that back in the day for whatever reason

i don't know. it sucks.