Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Just realized, if you like the conceit of the current story and arent already reading this other thing, then you might enjoy the current X-Men revamp, House of X / Powers of X as a more serious (as far as comic books go) take on this thing.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Aug 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

http://trixie.thecomicseries.com/comics/408

oops

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Think this might be proof you can have simulations in simulations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

super sweet best pal posted:

Think this might be proof you can have simulations in simulations.

Why? I don't follow you there.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
http://trixie.webcomic.ws/comics/409

The Ambassador's making a very inspiring speech and compelling case that is going to backfire because it will inspire Lyndon to kill himself so he can undo all his mistakes

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
edit: ^^ drat it :wave:

Wait... are we the bad guys? You hosed up again, Lyndon!

spoiler in case anybody scrolls down too fast if the "simulation" is indistinguishable, maybe he should do whatever he can to prolong it, and the lives of the people within... but I'm easily swayed by people who sound like they know what they're talking about.

uvar fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Aug 26, 2019

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It's a fake world entirely contingent on Lyndon's existence, and when Lyndon dies everyone will just disappear, instantaneously and painlessly. It's already lasted longer than it should, as evidenced by the stars disappearing.

The ambassador also had no scruples destroying countless worlds just like this before, so...

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
I think it's the difference between being the only real person in the simulation and being fake in someone else's. Just self-preservation.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
Oh he's absolutely about to go "yeah you're right" before shoving that snake teeth-first into his throat

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I'm starting to think that the Sceptre of Death is a rather unpleasant device.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It certainly lives up to its name

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
I went back and checked and Lyndon does call it a simulation, but still - I feel like focusing on that term is missing the point because it implies it's inferior. As far as we can tell it's a perfect copy of a sphere around the local solar system, and it's not the original but it's basically just as valid, and the Ambassador reasonably wants it to continue in the same way that I would want to prevent somebody ending the existence of me and everything else if I knew they could and might actually do it.

It is effectively a doomed world regardless. But it's like in all kinds of media (well, mostly SF & fantasy) where somebody gets duplicated; you shouldn't just murder one of them and call it a day.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

uvar posted:

I went back and checked and Lyndon does call it a simulation, but still - I feel like focusing on that term is missing the point because it implies it's inferior. As far as we can tell it's a perfect copy of a sphere around the local solar system, and it's not the original but it's basically just as valid, and the Ambassador reasonably wants it to continue in the same way that I would want to prevent somebody ending the existence of me and everything else if I knew they could and might actually do it.

It is effectively a doomed world regardless. But it's like in all kinds of media (well, mostly SF & fantasy) where somebody gets duplicated; you shouldn't just murder one of them and call it a day.

But to say it's a duplicate would imply that both it and the original can exist simultaneously, which isn't the case. The people of the simulated world aren't actually going to cease to exist when it ends; they'll just go back to living their original lives, which they can't do while the simulation is running. Besides, nothing about the way the sceptre works seems to imply that the simulated world exists anywhere except inside the sceptre toucher's mind.

Eeevil fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Aug 27, 2019

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Eeevil posted:

But to say it's a duplicate would imply that both it and the original can exist simultaneously, which isn't the case. The people of the simulated world aren't actually going to cease to exist when it ends; they'll just go back to living their original lives. Really, nothing about the way the sceptre works seems to imply that the simulated world exists anywhere except inside the sceptre toucher's mind.

It seems very much as though the opposite is true. The original world is "waiting" for the result of the simulation, but the simulated people will absolutely cease to exist once the simulation ends, along with everything in their reality. They won't go back to being those other people - they're separate entities who exist with the parameters and memories of those other people. When the simulation ends, they'll die.

That said, the ambassador is totally insincere here. He's right, but he's evil as hell. He doesn't exclusively care about preserving the lives of the simulated people - he also wants to make sure that Lyndon will be a mindless, thoughtless tree when he dies, and therefore unable to pass information about Skyggemyr back to the original universe.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Android Blues posted:

It seems very much as though the opposite is true. The original world is "waiting" for the result of the simulation, but the simulated people will absolutely cease to exist once the simulation ends, along with everything in their reality. They won't go back to being those other people - they're separate entities who exist with the parameters and memories of those other people. When the simulation ends, they'll die.

If you wake up from a dream, does the version of you from the dream die? Or, if your mom was in the dream, would you say that waking up killed a version of your mom?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

But it's not a dream - these are people simulated to within an absurd degree of accuracy. They're effectively perfect copies, and they exist independently of Lyndon's perception.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Also, Lyndon isn't dreaming, and there's no continuity between the Lyndon we're currently following and the one who touched the sceptre. They're different individuals. Original Lyndon will see a vision of this Lyndon's death, but that's it.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

But they're still just a simulation of what the actual people would do. They aren't a separate entity - they're an extrapolation based on data, the same as the light from the stars. The sceptre just has more data than people's minds. When the vision ends, those original people won't have memory of what happened, but they won't have lost anything.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Right, but these simulated people will, and they're effectively alive. They certainly are separate entities: we have every reason to believe they're as real as the people from the original universe.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well, I don't believe that we do.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

uvar posted:

Turns out murder is an effective way to solve the problem and if the entities who make the simulations keep getting useless results maybe they'll stop being assholes and making doomed simulations.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Perhaps they fear Lyndon will learn a spell to transfer his simulated consciousness and memories to his real self after his simulated death.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Eeevil posted:

But they're still just a simulation of what the actual people would do. They aren't a separate entity - they're an extrapolation based on data, the same as the light from the stars. The sceptre just has more data than people's minds. When the vision ends, those original people won't have memory of what happened, but they won't have lost anything.

Sounds like it’s an issue of whether or not they are philosophical zombies. Of course if they are, so is this Lyndon, so this is all rather low stakes

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

i would like someone to further unpack the alternate reading where the plot of Trixie Slaughteraxe revolves around the fact that its primary characters bear an immutable, supernatural soul granted by the Lord Jesus Christ

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 27, 2019

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Jesus Templethrasher.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
As far as the stakes go, the real relevance of this whole arc is revealing what's really been at stake this whole time. We learned that the antagonists were secretly being manipulated the whole time by an almost omniscient enemy, and if the hero's quest fails the land will be ravaged by unending plague and war, all the characters we've met die, and so on.

It's basically an alternate universe/time travel plot device, but with the twist we didn't know for sure it was one while it was happening. And also, everything that's happened so far will impact the final moment, which is what determines whether the real Lyndon will be able to save the world by passing on what he's learned. That's where the tension comes from here.

Android Blues posted:

That said, the ambassador is totally insincere here. He's right, but he's evil as hell. He doesn't exclusively care about preserving the lives of the simulated people - he also wants to make sure that Lyndon will be a mindless, thoughtless tree when he dies, and therefore unable to pass information about Skyggemyr back to the original universe.

I've been assuming his plan this whole time was "make sure Lyndon lives as long as possible, and then right before he dies, tell him any relevant information you learned this time so your original counterpart can torture it out of him."

Which isn't mutually exclusive with the tree thing, to be sure.

Eeevil posted:

Well, I don't believe that we do.

I mean, from our point of view, the characters were already fictional, so.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Let's say you discovered you were in a simulation, how would you react differently than if you weren't?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

If you're not already going to try to murder the Demiurge just smh

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
So here's the thing we don't know if this world will end when Lyndon dies, we just know that Lyndon will get a vision of his death.

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

http://trixie.thecomicseries.com/comics/410

with any luck audrey just kills lyndon before he has a chance to do anything stupid

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Lyndon is just such a wet blanket who gets convinced by whoever talked to him last.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Lyndon has a giant guilt complex and, arguably, he's sort of right. He has the opportunity to save a lot of lives by letting the ambassador win.

Of course, he could also save a lot of lives by sending information that would prevent war and plague back to the original universe.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
He wants so much to preserve the suffering of people who have to endure a plague and a war that he doesn't want to help create a world where these disasters are averted.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

He wants so much to preserve the suffering of people who have to endure a plague and a war that he doesn't want to help create a world where these disasters are averted.

Not very fair to the survivors.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Lyndon trying to gently caress up more colossally than he has ever hosed up before.

I'm not sure where he expects this to end up, but he's absolutely getting murdered by Audrey at this rate.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

super sweet best pal posted:

Not very fair to the survivors.

It is important to preserve your life as a grieving amputee who has lost all their friends and family, so that the same thing will happen to the real you. We could end it all, immediately and painlessly, to give a chance to your non-simulated self to never go through what you have had to go through, but it wouldn't be moral, now, would it?

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
Lyndon you spineless loving dork

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Congratulations, Lyndon. You now have given your adversaries time to get snake-handling armor on the witch who casts "Snicker-Snack Yoink."

Admittedly, using poisonous snakes for the teleportation trap was a bad idea to begin with. I guess it was all the snakes they could get on short notice?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Wouldn't want the traps to be too easy to disarm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
They needed something that other wizard was not irrationally afraid of.