Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah I pretty much never attempt to "punish" my cats because I know it'll just piss them off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I push them away from my food and take them off the desk/table if they’re in my way, but punishment means nothing to an animal. Don’t do it.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Yeah I just move the cat somewhere else if she's somewhere I don't want her to be.

This morning I discovered what happens when I ignore the cat meowing and scratching at my office door. I have my morning coffee without the cat around because she's tried to drink it before, so I shut the door.

living room destroyed

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Milly is sometimes very persistent about being on the keyboard when I'm trying to do something important. If even after gently putting her on the floor 10 times she keeps climbing up, i would puff a can of air not at her, but just in the general area because she doesn't like the sound. Fast forward a year, the can of air is long empty, but picking it up and making tsssst tsssssst noises still has the same effect. She'll usually sulk on her tree until I'm done, then gets pets.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I finally gave in and ordered a cat wheel. Looking forward to assembling it tomorrow and training my cats to play on it for a month and still ignore it

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Punishing the cat for peeing outside the box was a disagreement between me and my fiancee until I linked her all the things saying not to do it.

She grew up in a house with indoor/outdoor cats (that frequently went missing) and where mom would beat the cat for going outside the box. We have neither of those things. When Bean was peeing outside her box we took her to the vet and changed up her food and now everything is good and she's gone over a year with no accidents

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Thanks for the advice y'all. I'll pass the suggestions along and see what happens.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Boogalo posted:

Milly is sometimes very persistent about being on the keyboard when I'm trying to do something important. If even after gently putting her on the floor 10 times she keeps climbing up, i would puff a can of air not at her, but just in the general area because she doesn't like the sound. Fast forward a year, the can of air is long empty, but picking it up and making tsssst tsssssst noises still has the same effect. She'll usually sulk on her tree until I'm done, then gets pets.

This is Lucky and my water mister I use for painting. I just have to hold it in his general direction for his whole face to scrunch up. I love watching him repath how to get on the desk in real time. It's fine to be up in the desk but don't take out all my paints Lucky.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
My friend's rescue gave birth to 7 kittens. She was under a year old and a little underweight. A bit of ham and lovings and we have this variety pack:

2 gray, 2 orange, 3 white. They tend to pile on eachother and hide but there are all squirming and suckling. More pics to follow.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Get the food shovel out, she's going to need 4 or 5 meals a day to keep her health while feeding that many kittens properly.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Alternately, your friend can get some KMR and a bottle to supplementally feed the kittens.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Ballz posted:

Any suggestions on a cat with BO, preferably one that doesn’t involve giving it a bath? One of my cats has begun to smell like an armpit.

Are you sure theyre not smelling of gum disease?

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

feedmegin posted:

Are you sure theyre not smelling of gum disease?

Or impacted glands?

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
The cat-mom already has KMR, has been scarfing down lots of food for a while. All the kittens appear healthy, with one grey one being darker and bigger.

Its a 2 cat household and the other resident lady-cat is a 10.5 pound beast. Lilly (black cat) and Peaches (orange cat) have been getting along fine for the 2 months they have been together, friendly but not to the point of grooming and napping on each other. However Lilly has become a bit aggressive (anxious?) since when the kittens were born yesterday. She hisses at my fiend after she handled the kittens, and now hisses whenever Peaches walks by. Lilly has always seemed a bit scared of Peaches and is now maintaining her distance. Concerns, comments?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Gaj posted:

My friend's rescue gave birth to 7 kittens. She was under a year old and a little underweight. A bit of ham and lovings and we have this variety pack:

2 gray, 2 orange, 3 white. They tend to pile on eachother and hide but there are all squirming and suckling. More pics to follow.

https://twitter.com/evilbart24/status/1163607849655832577

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Gaj posted:

The cat-mom already has KMR, has been scarfing down lots of food for a while. All the kittens appear healthy, with one grey one being darker and bigger.

Its a 2 cat household and the other resident lady-cat is a 10.5 pound beast. Lilly (black cat) and Peaches (orange cat) have been getting along fine for the 2 months they have been together, friendly but not to the point of grooming and napping on each other. However Lilly has become a bit aggressive (anxious?) since when the kittens were born yesterday. She hisses at my fiend after she handled the kittens, and now hisses whenever Peaches walks by. Lilly has always seemed a bit scared of Peaches and is now maintaining her distance. Concerns, comments?

A nursing queen is a force to be afraid of. All normal but a) your friend should not handle the kittens or wear gloves if they must and b) give Lilly a spae she can retreat to if she's threatened or quaranteen Peaches off so they don't cross paths. Only start handling kittens once they're old enough to wander, right after the birth mum does not want nasty human stink on her babies.

We always used one room of the house for nursing mothers. Lino floor, places for her to get away from the babies when she needs a breather and a wire screen door to keep them separate but let scents mix.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Caught my cat butt scooting. I looked at his rear end in a top hat and it looks like an anal gland could be the problem. So, uh, should I express it? Anyone have any tips?

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Protocol7 posted:

Caught my cat butt scooting. I looked at his rear end in a top hat and it looks like an anal gland could be the problem. So, uh, should I express it? Anyone have any tips?

Honestly, my best tip would be to have your vet do it, especially if this is the first time the cat has had this problem. Though sometimes necessary, expressing the glands is not pleasant for either you or the cat, especially if the area is already sore. The cat is likely to get pretty salty when you try. The vet can do it safely and quickly, and will also check to make sure there isn't an abscess or infection associated with the impaction.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
My only concern with that is he gets clawy at the vet. I can trim his nails, but the anxiety pack they gave me last time did nothing to calm him down.

Also they’re booked out for 3 weeks so I need to find a secondary vet.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
Look what we got! We hated our cheap plastic carrier because it swung around too much when carrying it by the single handle, and it's front-loading which is a pain. Vet-visits are going to be a lot more fun for Katya now we can strap her in and bike there. :haw:

https://twitter.com/invisiblemonkey/status/1165272960925622273?s=20

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Came home and there was watery diarrhea all over the floor. Guess a vet trip is definitely in order.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

TofuDiva posted:

Honestly, my best tip would be to have your vet do it, especially if this is the first time the cat has had this problem. Though sometimes necessary, expressing the glands is not pleasant for either you or the cat, especially if the area is already sore. The cat is likely to get pretty salty when you try. The vet can do it safely and quickly, and will also check to make sure there isn't an abscess or infection associated with the impaction.

When we took Bean to the vet she bit the poo poo out of me when the expressing happened. Nice deep punctures that hurt and bled like a son of a bitch.

Would recommend having the vet do that again

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

InvisibleMonkey posted:

Look what we got! We hated our cheap plastic carrier because it swung around too much when carrying it by the single handle, and it's front-loading which is a pain. Vet-visits are going to be a lot more fun for Katya now we can strap her in and bike there. :haw:

https://twitter.com/invisiblemonkey/status/1165272960925622273?s=20

Got a link for that? been looking for something like that to take my cat on bike rides also.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

Blackchamber posted:

Got a link for that? been looking for something like that to take my cat on bike rides also.

I got it from the Dutch Zooplus site, couldn't find it on zooplus.com tho.

link

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

InvisibleMonkey posted:

link
You're making it too easy for me to also buy that.

Got a cat wheel yesterday.
Still getting the cats used to it. But I think I have some mild success already.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
the little rain-cover it comes with makes me think it's marketed specifically at the dutch, lmao

those wheels seem like great exercise for indoor cats!

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

InvisibleMonkey posted:

those wheels seem like great exercise for indoor cats!

It's Rexie approved!

https://i.imgur.com/RuZJJr4.mp4

Sefal posted:

I'm amazed they'll go on it right away. It took us a lot of pairing the wheel with treats to get Rexie to even stand on it at first.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Len posted:

When we took Bean to the vet she bit the poo poo out of me when the expressing happened. Nice deep punctures that hurt and bled like a son of a bitch.

Would recommend having the vet do that again

Yowza. This is why my vet won't let the owner hold the cat or even help restrain during any procedure, no matter how minor - an experienced vet tech with long, thick leather gauntlets does that part of the job!

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

BaronVonVaderham posted:

It's Rexie approved!

I'm amazed they'll go on it right away. It took us a lot of pairing the wheel with treats to get Rexie to even stand on it at first.

Anybody who has successfully introduced a cat wheel, how old was your cat when you introduced it? I've thought about getting one, but my guy is almost 5 years old and I've wondered if there's a decent chance of him taking to it.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

InvisibleMonkey posted:

link

I'll have to try and find a US supplier. Thanks.

Sefal posted:

You're making it too easy for me to also buy that.

Still getting the cats used to it. But I think I have some mild success already.

My cats never go full bore like Rexie. In the middle of the night I'll hear them walk on it a bit but thats it. I've tried using a laser dot to coax them to speed up but that stops them completely.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Rexie also just walks on it a lot. I'll hear her while I'm in bed reading just trotting along for extended periods. But she does just love pulling out all the stops and sprinting since she can't really do that in an apartment otherwise (I'm so looking forward to getting a house soonish so she can have more space).

It's just a matter of hitting that critical point where it becomes automatically reinforced (they enjoy doing it just to do it). Rexie required treats, specifically meat flavored baby foods, until one day she just decided running was awesome and took off on her own.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
The best thing about cat-proofing our small back-yard is that Katya now sprints from inside to outside at top speed repeatedly when she has the zoomies. :3:

Our next place has to be big enough for a second cat and have comparably safe outside space, still not sure if we'll go the microchip cat-door routine but we'll cross that bridge when the time comes.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

BaronVonVaderham posted:

It's Rexie approved!

https://i.imgur.com/RuZJJr4.mp4

Look at Rexie go.
Yeah I've been using treats to get them near the wheel, but the toys are what's keeping em on there. This was day 1;

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I tell you, I don't understand it. Am I getting old? Is it that my cat from childhood, Cami, and the oldest cat we have now, who is a backyard cat, Tako, never had bad teeth or any dental issues because cancer took Cami, and Tako gives no fucks?

About two years ago we had three cats with bad dental issues. Now two of them have it again. T-Dawg is 6, Raziel is 10, and I don't get it! They eat dry food, they eat wet food, they eat cooked chicken. How do they have these issues and the other cats don't?

10 isn't even that old for a cat, but I do notice Raz slowing a bit when it comes to wet food or treats, unless he sees me with a live mouse (for the snakes). THEN he is all appetite and trying to steal it from me.

It could also be stress. We foster cats too (though they are QT'd in a spare room and so far only 2 have gradually come out), and one of them, an ocicat named Red, has calmed down a great deal but is kinda aggressive with headbutts and wanting other cats to be headbutted, and he's not a small cat. So he butts Raz, Raz hisses or smacks at him, Red does it again. I think the cat power pole is wavering a bit because of this too. Raz was always in charge, but Red is larger and ignores him, so....that is a thing.

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012

Spartacus yelled at me this morning cause the dog water dish was bone dry. I filled it up and this pleased him. This is how my kitties drink throughout the day. They’d rather stand up and drink from the dog bowl than use the one attached to their food bowl.
They also enjoy drinking out of the toilet. Cats are weird.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

That makes sense, actually. Cats often don't like to drink from water that is near their food source, probably an instinctual thing that avoids bacterial contamination. Same reason they prefer running water.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

That makes sense, actually. Cats often don't like to drink from water that is near their food source, probably an instinctual thing that avoids bacterial contamination. Same reason they prefer running water.

drat, really? I should move the fountain then..

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I got a cat water fountain, put it on the other side of the apartment from the food and both of my cats love the thing. Even when they aren't drinking from it, one of them will occasionally sit and stare at the thing, like it's his own little personal zen spot.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Those are great until they inevitably break. They also tend to be a huge pain in the rear end to reassemble after cleaning the filter. I gave up on them entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
My cat likes to drink from the standing shower in my basement.

If I go into that bathroom for whatever reason - a piss, or to blow my nose - I am met with incessant yelling until the shower is turned on and water left on the shower floor.

He'll usually jump on the toilet too so I have to give him water before I do anything toilet related.