Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Pants Donkey posted:

I dunno, the response to the epilogues in this thread were positive if not without flaws.

I think everyone who thought they were awful either lurks or left already

besides me, I'm morbidly fascinated to see where this all ends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I don't think they were awful

I just refused to read them

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
the epilogues were uh

lets say, not what i was expecting

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I had issues, but friends of mine freaked the gently caress out.

That said, I've had more joy in adult life, but I'm a boomer.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Jen X posted:

I think everyone who thought they were awful either lurks or left already

besides me, I'm morbidly fascinated to see where this all ends
Nah, I too am not a fan.

Mainly because it’s a continuation of Hussie deciding at somewhere in Act 6 that Homestuck is just a meta musing on storytelling, as opposed to the meta stuff just being an interesting way to present a coming-of-age story.

Having said that, Meat was a worthwhile read but I never read Candy so I dunno.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
i enjoyed the epilogues for all the meltdowns about Precious Gay Cinnamon Roll Dirk actually being scum (which should have been apparent 5eva.......!) and i was not disappointed

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
I'd say I'm fairly lukewarm about the epilogues. Meat was mostly pleasant to read but had an incredibly unsatisfying conclusion. Candy was mostly unpleasant to read but had a conclusion that, while understandably viewed by many as unsatisfying, managed to resonate with me just enough that it left me feeling quite pleased, both with journey and destination. That all being said, I find that I'm not terribly invested in the epilogues as a continuation of the Homestuck narrative; to me, Homestuck ended on 4/13/16, and had a nice little end credits sequence on 10/25/16. I read the epilogues because I'm invested in the brand and interested in the content it produces, and will continue to read whatever comes next until that stops being true.

But suffice it to say that I, personally, am probably not going to comprise the "most conscientious and invested members of the fandom".

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Jen X posted:

yeah but saying it doesn't deal with the issue of conflicting fan-canons

that's the entire reason, a need for a coherent and cohesive baseline to start from, for a canon to matter outside of literally just religion and intellectual property laws

Lol no. Canon never mattered.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Some bits of it are neat and interesting. Here, though:

> . Wherever the most conscientious and invested members of fandom want to drive this universe,

I am unhappy that an overall statement so self-referential and ironic can coexist with an abstract determination of "conscientious". Like Act Omega is invested as hell, because of the time and media commitment, but does that mean it should be driving the universe? "Interesting" or even "deep" would be one thing, but "conscientious" and "invested" are explicitly value judgments of the quality of the fans themselves. Like, yes, shitposts and poo poo fic/art/music abound. But how, once we've thrown out 99% of the stuff, do we (or rather Hussie) determine who's conscientious enough?

So I agree with the thrust of this post because it was an interesting and thought-provoking essay to me until these parts at the end. Like you want to say you're playing with the idea of your own authority as a storyteller with the "official fanfic" conceit but then you're saying you'll be following the "most conscientious and invested" fans which implicitly casts you as an authority on who counts as such, so lol okay who's actually in the driver's seat still chief?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Andrew Hussie posted:

So now I'm looking to all of you on the matter of where to go next. Wherever the most conscientious and invested members of fandom want to drive this universe, as well as the standards by which we engage with media in general, that will be the direction I follow.

Enter command:
>

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Bobulus posted:

Enter command:
>

I kinda thought that too. This is basically what MSPA always was, users submit "commands", as it were, and Hussie moves forward with the ones he likes the best/were most aligned with his plans anyway.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

God I'd love a return to chaotic tomfoolery

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
Back when Jailbreak got hijacked by some guy who wouldn't shut up about elves.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Hey peeps I just came back to the thread after not reading anything since hoemstuck ended

What Did I miss.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The Epilogue dropped. It is certainly a thing. https://www.homestuck.com/epilogues

Hiveswap Friendsim came out, and it's a lot of fun if you like branching visual novels.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Hiveswap Friendsim came out, and it's a lot of fun if you like branching visual novels.

I'd never played a VN before (well lol unless you count Fire Emblem), and decided to go full hog on Friendsim on a day off when all my living actual friends were tied up with work/kids-

I don't regret it; a few of the stories were super good, most of them were carried along enough by characters, a few of them were complete stinkers. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be to explore the branches, too

my friend's a VN fan but has never read Homestuck and is gonna try it, curious to see what she gets out of it

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Hussie hid some Toblerone in the Bay Area.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1loG8QgS9i/?igshid=acytarm4hnpv

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Lol no. Canon never mattered.

theological debates about divine authorship and what was from god and what was from man are a huge part of the history of both judaism and christianity, at minimum; that's one of the uses of canon that you'll find in actual academia

words mean things and categorization matters, regardless of how "postmodern" you try to be about it all

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Jen X posted:

theological debates about divine authorship and what was from god and what was from man are a huge part of the history of both judaism and christianity, at minimum; that's one of the uses of canon that you'll find in actual academia

words mean things and categorization matters, regardless of how "postmodern" you try to be about it all
Hussie is nothing if not postmodern.

Words mean multiple things. Canon means the Catholic/Protestant/Jewish/Orthodox/other canons. It also means "the authentic works of a writer ". And, colloquially, within the fanfic community of which Hussie very much is a part, "canon" means "the part of the works of an author that I consider to be official." Like, if you are writing Highlander fic, you have to specify if it's the TV series, the movies, both, all the movies except the second (spoiler: nobody considers the second movie canon because it was never filmed) ... and so on.

Hussie is specifically using the fannish meaning of "canon", and saying that the epilogues don't qualify in that context. Because of how fans work, though, they specify their own canon. "Stops after [S] CASCADE". "[S] GAME OVER universe." "All of the original Homestuck except the stuff in the credits." People would be exuberantly ignoring and embracing the Epilogues with or without Hussie's opinion.

Is HIVESWAP canon? FRIENDSIM? PESTERQUEST? Only you can decide. Note that this will still be true when the Beta kids show up in PESTERQUEST. It's MSPA Reader's decision what's canon.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Speaking of canon, some one found the trove of toblerones and now June Egbert will be Real Actual Canon

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

But canon is defined by being part of the creator’s story. We have a term for when fans determine what is or isn’t canon.

More interesting is when IPs grow larger enough to necessitate a management of canon. Like George Lucas and the increasingly weird “tiers” of canonicity regarding the Star Wars expanded universe. Then Disney came in and cleaned it all up.

That is an actual interesting question. Which canon is more valid? The creator’s, as vague and ill-defined as it was, or the new owners, who had no hand in the original story, but were entrusted by the creator to lead the story in whatever directions it goes? Does the shitload of cash handed to Lucas invalidate Disney’s new role, since his decision was likely corrupted by it?

Headcanon is just a fan’s preference for canon. My distaste for the Star Wars prequels does not change the fact that they are part of the story. This isn’t really a point of contention except maybe in the public domain, where we can get so far removed from the original works that the public’s common idea of what is canon is very different. The common plot and details of “Frankenstein” are quite different than Shelley’s original text.

Basically, I too support Hussie relinquishing Homestuck to the public domain.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Honestly, since the end of Homestuck, I've wanted Hussie to just start another MSPA. Just back the basics. But I totally get why he's probably not up for that.

I suppose there's an irony here; some people want Homestuck to keep going, either to scratch the nostalgia, or continue to "live" with that fiction, meanwhile I sort of just want to recapture the nostalgia of moving from Problem Sleuth to Homestuck.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Pants Donkey posted:

But canon is defined by being part of the creator’s story. We have a term for when fans determine what is or isn’t canon.

Basically, I too support Hussie relinquishing Homestuck to the public domain.
I think my friendgroup's usage of "canon" is different from yours, maybe? "Headcanon" is "I believe in tentadicks". "X is not canon as far as I'm concerned" means "I know X happened in the source material, but I'm ignoring it." "X is not canon" all by itself, when not said jokingly, means "not there in the source" .

> That is an actual interesting question. Which canon is more valid?
Here's the thing. In my friendgroup, we are old and tired and have been there. "Which canon is valid" is a meaningless question because it assumes prioritizing one source of authority over another. "Valid" really doesn't have any meaning when it means "Are Lucasarts's choices official, or are Disney's?" They're both valid. Pick one. Crossover the bits from the other you find particularly appealing. Have fun.

I'm shaped by Doctor Who, though, and there is no such thing as canon. Individual episodes contradict each other wildly, then there are show reboots, then there are the radio plays -- some of which have been later referred to in the TV show -- then there are the authorized novels. Any decision about "canon" is a personal one, although there are people who claim a single unified canon but this is utter bullshit. In my copy of the Baring-Gould Annotated Sherlock Holmes, there are notations about which stories are often considered to be not canon. This is given from a Watsonian point of view: Watson wrote this one but misunderstood what Holmes had said, that sort of thing.

In any case, Hussie flat-out told us that the epilogues aren't canon. In my reading of what he said -- which is probably wrong because Hussie -- he is explicitly saying "Yo, fans who think the only true source is the Webcomic? You're right." as well as "The best, most committed blah blah fans will build on the epilogues."

e: Midichlorians were total bullshit, and I'm really glad the Disney continuation drat near said so.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

Honestly, since the end of Homestuck, I've wanted Hussie to just start another MSPA. Just back the basics. But I totally get why he's probably not up for that.

I suppose there's an irony here; some people want Homestuck to keep going, either to scratch the nostalgia, or continue to "live" with that fiction, meanwhile I sort of just want to recapture the nostalgia of moving from Problem Sleuth to Homestuck.

I'd love for him to move on from this cursed property and do something totally new

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
everything you want to be canon is canon. the stories don't suddenly disappear the moment they're declared non canon.

also yeah, at some point things should just end. i'm not sure hussie even cared about homestuck past Cascade anyway. I wish he'd make something cool he's excited about instead of beating this dead horse for another decade.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Charlie Bobson posted:

everything you want to be canon is canon. the stories don't suddenly disappear the moment they're declared non canon.

also yeah, at some point things should just end. i'm not sure hussie even cared about homestuck past Cascade anyway. I wish he'd make something cool he's excited about instead of beating this dead horse for another decade.

Game Over is magnificent IMHO. So is Terezi: Remem8er.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I mean, I doubt he stopped caring. If he had, he is absolutely the kind of person who would drop it in an instant and move on.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

"Hussie secretly hates Homestuck" is a particularly enduring bit of nonsense in these parts that just gets stupider with "...and has since 2011" tacked on to the end of it.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It’s actually “Hussie secretly hates us, the readers.” which is why it’s nothing but Homestuck from here on out.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Pants Donkey posted:

It’s actually “Hussie secretly hates us, the readers.” which is why it’s nothing but Homestuck from here on out.

He certainly doesn't hate the readers that want John to become June

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I have no idea what June is.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Pants Donkey posted:

yeah, Protestantism

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Pants Donkey posted:

I have no idea what June is.

To put it succinctly, post-transition John.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Peanut Butler posted:

yeah, Protestantism

Jesus is my headcanon.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Canon is a consensus about a set of criteria for determining which works should be considered authoritative in relation to other works.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Game Over is magnificent IMHO. So is Terezi: Remem8er.

gently caress, those were actually really good you're right

the "stopped caring" sentiment is because all of the things he tried really didn't resonate and so many of them actively undercut my own investment in the story. these were all things that were present beforehand i'm sure, but they really started to bother me after cascade. it always felt like hussie was actively trying to make me not give a poo poo about anything that happened and feel like the whole thing was meaningless.

wait gently caress isn't that just postmodernism

i think i might just not enjoy postmodernist works

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Plom Bar posted:

To put it succinctly, post-transition John.

If Hussie really did hide treasures that gives the finder the power to change canon, then we got extremely lucky.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
I don't understand the canon/non-canon stuff. If Hussie wrote it, it's canon. That's what it means. The epilogues are canon. Both sides of them. Because that's the only content that exists written by Hussie after Act 7.

I didn't really buy Hussie's explanation about epilogues and the transformative medium. It felt like he was essentially admitting that epilogue wasn't an Epilogue, just a continuation of the story. And then made it sound like he didn't really know how to finish it (sounds familiar...) and so left it on a cliffhanger. All his words about fan-content, emotions, etc, just feel like rationalization of all this. He had ideas in his head about post-Act 7 Homestuck, and decided to write them out (and also monetize them, but that fell through). That's all there is to it. What's the point of all this weird pontification?

Anyway, I liked the epilogues. Even if there's never any continuation, at least the cliffhanger is more palatable than Act 7.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

dipwood posted:

I don't understand the canon/non-canon stuff. If Hussie wrote it, it's canon. That's what it means. The epilogues are canon. Both sides of them. Because that's the only content that exists written by Hussie after Act 7.
But how do you reconcile that with Hussie saying, explicitly, that they aren't?

I think the Meat/Candy that Callie and Roxy demand John make are exactly like the coinflip Terezi makes John make. I told you to watch out for Seers bro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
someone help me thru this bc i think i might actually like homestuck again