Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I've always heard people doing a reverse wash on the sleeves parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej_DTLtil2I

Basically paint the whole part white (even the parts that are supposed to be black), put on some topcoat and then paint the whole thing black, then use some paint thinner to remove the black from the white parts.

EDIT: Dunno how well this would work hand painting though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

What I did on my MG Sinanju was spray it gold then use a Gundam marker for the black details, using a fine tipped one and a toothpick to get the smaller bits and such. 1/144 is probably more of a pain, so good luck.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Bluefin is asking their customers which P-Bandai kits they want to see brought back for direct sale in the US. You know what to do.

Linky

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
I finished another build! This time, Flame Toys' Optimus Prime (IDW Ver.). Build quality is almost up to Bandai standards with my only real complaint is the polycaps. They're just a bit too stiff and are actively pushing the surrounding pieces apart. Guess I'll have to pick up some glue.

I used Mr. Metallic Color and everything was hand painted since I lack the space for an airbrush setup. I definitely learned that metallics are much harder to deal with in hand painting. Lots of thin coats and I still have some visible brush marks. I intend to redo some of the panel lines later on, but anyway, pictures:

Moai Ou fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 25, 2019

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Veotax posted:

Basically paint the whole part white (even the parts that are supposed to be black), put on some topcoat and then paint the whole thing black, then use some paint thinner to remove the black from the white parts.

This. It will look infinitely better than hand painting and if you gently caress it up, you just hit it with another coat of paint and try again.

However one point I should make for this is that you use a lacquer clear top coat and the black of a different type of paint.

You want to keep the compound of the paint different so that when you use thinners to remove the paint you don't eat into the top coat.

Usually it's enamel on top of lacquer as enamel thinner doesnt react with lacquer.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
Third kit, first Master Grade, finished. The MG Alex 2.0! Had a lot of fun with this, and a lot of difficulties, but I'm proud of how it turned out in the end, and how cool my pictures are starting to look.

WIP thread: https://twitter.com/Gen_Ironicus/status/1158882657239015433

Finished pics start here in the thread: https://twitter.com/Gen_Ironicus/status/1165367669111103489

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Veotax posted:

wish i saw this video about a month ago :negative:

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Why yes, this is the best Gundam from the best Gundam show. Unfortuantely the kit doesn't quite live up to those standards. It's sharply cast, but the backpack gimmick means all the accessories are compromised and it can't stand up on its own even with the empty crate on it. Posability could stand some work, too.

Bonus:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Lol at calling the HGUC Ground Gundam lacking in posability. The only place it falters is the shoulders, which were done better on the 2013 Ez8.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

me getting on the subway without taking off my backpack full of accessories

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Veotax posted:

I think when I did this it was acrilic base with enamel over top with no protective coat between. Used Zippo fluid (not generic lighter fluid unless you know for sure what's in it) and my only problem was that I accidentally let everything fully cure for a few weeks before I got back to it. Worked a lot better when I tested it on my paint mule and only let the enamel coat dry for a day.

I still maintain that the Sleeves faction were defeated because their mechanics were too busy intricately pinstriping everything instead of performing maintenance.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Anyone that was on the fence on a PG Exia.

Daban are making a PG Exia Avalanche Dash

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Did they give it sick skis so it could ride the avalanche?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Diet Poison posted:

I don't really want to go down the fuckin rabbit hole of painting all my robitmen but I just put together the HG Sinanju Stein and I am not ok with the white details being stickers. Any inside baseball bullshit I need to know before buying a little thing of white model paint and a tiny-rear end brush?

Buy thinner. And something to mask with. If you just paint regular thickness paint you’ll see brush strokes. If you think it enough not to see them, it will run.

Use acrylics because other poo poo can melt unprotected plastic.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Some more robots arrived:

https://imgur.com/a/J5JX3fc

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Droyer posted:

Some more robots arrived:

https://imgur.com/a/J5JX3fc

i'm not familiar with those, what are they?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Powered System Maneuver Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Delta as well as the Sky Jacket, all from the Diaclone Reboot line. The last couple of pics also had another Gamma as well as a Powered System Maneuver Alpha Spartan and Sky Jacket Storm Savers ver. Which I had posted before.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Puddin posted:

Anyone that was on the fence on a PG Exia.

Daban are making a PG Exia Avalanche Dash

To clarify, it also comes with the lighting system and the Exia Repair parts.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

TaurusOxford posted:

To clarify, it also comes with the lighting system and the Exia Repair parts.

Which raises the question, can you do a PG Exia Avalanche Repair?

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
All Aussie gunpla builders, the Gundam Uniqlo tshirts will be on sale from Sep 13, unfortunately without the HG models that were available in Japan earlier this year.

12 separate ones in total.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Puddin posted:

All Aussie gunpla builders, the Gundam Uniqlo tshirts will be on sale from Sep 13, unfortunately without the HG models that were available in Japan earlier this year.

12 separate ones in total.

Ohhhh gently caress. That's also the day before the Madman Anime Festival in Melbourne, so those fuckers will go fast .

I hope I can get a few :shepspends:.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Presented without comment:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Well hot dog! Finally an HG Mudrock!

https://p-bandai.jp/hobby/special-1000010945/

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

And here I was thinking we hadn’t seen enough of the RX-78 design.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Midjack posted:

And here I was thinking we hadn’t seen enough of the RX-78 design.

On the one hand, true. On the other hand Mudrock has been released in almost every figure and candy toy line but this is somehow the first modern model kit.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

When that one piece falls into the rug

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Droyer posted:

this is my eternal living nightmare

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Merilan posted:

this is my eternal living nightmare

I only found the eye piece for the Mobile Worker when I was moving. Fortunately, it's an easy bit to pop in.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Played the find the RG Exia ear piece a while back.

Learned a lesson that day, any really really tiny pieces clip with the runner inside a seal bag, if it goes flying the bag catches it.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

When I was building the MG GM Sniper 2 I dropped one of the little red thruster insert to goes on the back of the legs. Found it like two months later.

No idea how it survived vacuuming that long

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Puddin posted:

Learned a lesson that day, any really really tiny pieces clip with the runner inside a seal bag, if it goes flying the bag catches it.

Putting a flashlight horizontally on the ground will make small things cast a much larger shadow than typical lighting provides. Moving the light slowly and watching for the shadows’ movement can help you find the piece as well as every piece of dirt on your floor.

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

Droyer posted:

I wonder if I'll find the Gunsniper's other toe before I move :negative:

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Midjack posted:

Putting a flashlight horizontally on the ground will make small things cast a much larger shadow than typical lighting provides. Moving the light slowly and watching for the shadows’ movement can help you find the piece as well as every piece of dirt on your floor.

Yeah that's my go to when I'm on hardwood.

I've also learnt that if one does go flying, stay still so you can here the direction it drops. If you turn your reference gets all messed up.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Puddin posted:

Christ, I lost the exact same piece. I'm gluing the drat thing if I ever find it.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

I love RG's. They're my favorite grade of Gunpla and that will never change. The RG crossbone is super rad so far and I love it just from the core lander. That said, this kit has so many tiny stickers I want to rip my own head of through my rear end. Curious what other people have had for nightmare sticker work.

Quick note, that 4 times for each wing of the core lander. Not even talking about the rest of the kit. Those individual squares need to be folded over the back edge. :shepicide:

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
I skip a lot of the red/white filler decals.

I think the worst sticker sheet I did all of was either the RG GP02fb (a lot of curved surfaces that the stickers started peeling off anyway) or the RG sinanju (same).

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
How about the foil RG Destiny silver pieces on the wings that stay stuck for approximately three and a half seconds.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

d3lness posted:

I love RG's. They're my favorite grade of Gunpla and that will never change. The RG crossbone is super rad so far and I love it just from the core lander. That said, this kit has so many tiny stickers I want to rip my own head of through my rear end. Curious what other people have had for nightmare sticker work.

Quick note, that 4 times for each wing of the core lander. Not even talking about the rest of the kit. Those individual squares need to be folded over the back edge. :shepicide:

Anything that overlaps edges with nothing on them like that, I usually just trim the edge off with a knife.

LibrarianCroaker posted:

I skip a lot of the red/white filler decals.

I think the worst sticker sheet I did all of was either the RG GP02fb (a lot of curved surfaces that the stickers started peeling off anyway) or the RG sinanju (same).
Oh, if only. :allears:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Puddin posted:

How about the foil RG Destiny silver pieces on the wings that stay stuck for approximately three and a half seconds.

gently caress those stickers forever. I can't believe I spent that much time putting those drat things on, despite the fact that I knew it would happen. I got them to stick just long enough for a couple photos and that's it. poo poo's getting painted instead, soon as I can muster enough give-a-gently caress to touch that kit again.

Droyer posted:

This one loving piece of RG Freedom's loving face.

It plinked off the sprue and landed somewhere in my carpet. Or possibly the blanket I had beside my chair. I was down on my hands and knees with a lint roller trying to find it, vacuuming with a stocking over the hose, and ever-so-gently shaking that blanket out, but it was just gone. I spent actual goddamn hours looking for that piece. Eventually I gave up and figured I was never finding it, and started considering trying to mold something out of clay or just painting the details on or something.

A month later it magically showed up in the exact middle of the room, as if that's just where it was supposed to be. Coincidentally, right after I had finished putting RG Destiny together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

RillAkBea posted:

Anything that overlaps edges with nothing on them like that, I usually just trim the edge off with a knife.

I've had bad luck with that. I have a sculpting tool with a ball on one end and a nice soft silicone tip on the other. Works fairly well for getting stuff down and then getting rid of bubbles regardless of the surface or angle.

Puddin posted:

Uh-oh. That's in my very short backlog.