Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Virigoth posted:

I’d love to have a poo poo show 20 man squad but I feel like they are going to starve unless they can kill these weird rear end bird things I found en made. I guess with that many dudes I could get serious about an outpost though.

Food is kind of the ultimate gameplay check - there's tons of way to do and accomplish whatever you want, but food is always going to be the determining factor of whether or not your team is sustainable. Making your own town so you can farm is basically the biggest danger for a new player, but is also the best way to become self-sustainable. It's almost not worth hunting for food because even the lowest of the animals, bonedogs, are total powerhouses in their own right and can kill Paladins in small groups. It basically comes down to having enough income to buy food, which can also be tough if you don't know some of the tricks. That's the reason mining is so common - hauling the ores is strength training while it also keeps anyone doing it paid enough to stay fed.

I've made a few long posts about Fog Prince farming, and it's pretty much my de-facto New Game option. You get hella paid and you can powerlevel the stealth/assassination levels of your whole squad instead of just a small group of people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

make a big base and recruit a bunch of nerds so you can make a gigantic weed farm

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Oh I've also seen people say not to build a base until you have level 2 walls, but enemies won't even bother to attack your walls anyways unless you don't have a gate so they don't matter at all. As long as you can defend the gate with mercenaries or whatever you're gucci

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, walls basically don't matter so long as you have any at all. The bigger ones are only slightly better because you can fit more crossbow archers on them and turrets get better coverage in my experience, but that's pretty much it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Second tier walls are good because they're the first ones that allow you the ability to stand on top of them :v:

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
Other question, there's no key that lets you highlight NPCs around you right?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Other question, there's no key that lets you highlight NPCs around you right?

Sadly no.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The final wall tiers are actually terrible deathtraps because your gunners can get trapped inside the turrets.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
What is the 4 movement things beside rescue?

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
Trip report, next 3 hours (6 hours total):

Got a 4 man labour camp going in squin, purchased a long house and built a research bench, lights, 2 ore storages, a shop counter that wasn't selling any ore, blacksmith and a stove.

Started stealing everything in town for cash and everything restocked in like 2 days that i stole so instead of running back and forth from the hub just decided to keep mining.

Basically, trying to clean out the food storage in the inn every time it stocks and stocking a food barrel.. i think my limit of support in squinn from buying food is 5 guys total. I'll have to venture out and build a farm outpost if I want to recruit some more maybe.

What I need is some combat experience but 4 guys won't seem to cut it against even the most starving of bandits. They all have comparable stats but they are have 12 of them to my 4...

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Shop counters are kind of a trap, only a few items sell.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1616010664

This mod makes it feel more worthwhile.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
With bandits, you can totally just get 3 of your guys beaten up constantly and then go rescue them with the last one once the bandits have moved on.

Eventually your guys start blocking attacks and hitting back

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
This also works in slave camps, except you learn Kung Fu until your formerly noodly slave guy can beat down a crowd of guards instead.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

dogstile posted:

With bandits, you can totally just get 3 of your guys beaten up constantly and then go rescue them with the last one once the bandits have moved on.

Eventually your guys start blocking attacks and hitting back

While this is true for my current team I still can't deal with getting swarmed and knocked back. I'm thinking of going from 4 man squad up to a 6-8 man squad to see what that looks like. I <think> I can sustain it with food by going to the weird Beak thing area as long as they don't eat my legs off.... again ...

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Synthbuttrange posted:

Shop counters are kind of a trap, only a few items sell.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1616010664

This mod makes it feel more worthwhile.

Food, alcohol and first aid kits only for shop counters, got it.

Right now my objective is to build wealth enough to buy books and research as much as I can in squin while trying to get my guys beat up by hungry assholes. 3 Shek guys running ore and my regular human researching.

I noticed the guards of squin are like 60 stats and 50 attack. Which feels like 50 hours of gameplay away to get a guy there

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I absolutely recommend installing a mod that gives shops more money. Some people would call it a cheat, but I would argue that you already have the wealth, being forced to use bartering just makes you tediously exchange it all piece-by-piece instead of turning it into easily portable cats. In practical terms, you net value is the exact same.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

TipsyMcStagger posted:

I noticed the guards of squin are like 60 stats and 50 attack. Which feels like 50 hours of gameplay away to get a guy there

50 is 'elite'. 'Competent fighter' is around 30.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Once your guys start actually winning fights, or at least not getting totally demolished, you'll see melee attack and defence go up fairly quickly since you don't have these massive recovery breaks between fighting.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I'm also starting this game mostly blind. I wandered up to the foggy northwest and got eaten. Fun game so far.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Canuckistan posted:

I'm also starting this game mostly blind. I wandered up to the foggy northwest and got eaten. Fun game so far.

Lol sounds like a good start, I might venture out of the safety of squin for some fun.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Canuckistan posted:

Sounds about right.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Canuckistan posted:

The definitive Kenshi experience. :hai:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Once you get your bearings skills can go up exponentially fast. First step get toughness up enough that you have a chance to stand up again in the same fight after getting knocked out. Feels like this is around 5-15.

Then when you start doing that in seas of hungry bandits or whatever, you quickly get dozens more toughness levels.

Once you have 30-50 toughness on a bunch of guys, you are still getting your rear end kicked, but lasting long enough to start power grinding through melee skills.

Alternately once you have 30-50 toughness you can start making bow clusterfucks. Friendly fire is a thing when unskilled. You may take this to mean you should spread out your bowmen and avoid firing into melees involving your other dudes. This is extremely wrong because you skill up friendly fire avoidance by firing into friendlies. And you're going to want friendly fire avoidance because the good bows and harpoon emplacements will take heads clean off. So make a giant cluster of bow guys firing into melees of your other guys and everyone starts getting great skills and eventually you're like whoah did I just fight off a patrol successfully?

Then you get cocky and fight something terrifying and now all your good dudes are missing limbs. This is a bonus really because pretty soon you're going to be investigating delimbing people for prostheses soon enough.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
There's like 20 different ways to get eaten in kenshi, maybe more. And that's before getting into all the ways to get dismembered, dissolved in acid, or skinned alive

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
If you're learning kenshi, I highly suggest just yoloing around. Save a ton. If you wipe your entire squad, just reload it so you have some progression, but don't try to play too safely

E: also explore the map while you're still weak, it's a lot cooler when poo poo can still gently caress you up

E2: Big big big serious tip: recruit a skeleton and take your skeleton with you on your travels and pay attention to his dialogue

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
Day 3, 4 more hours:

Spent the day getting more and more money, hired 6 guys.. got them all to ~15 combat and 15 stats by fighting everyone near the guards.

Decided to try exploring the land... got eaten by a beak thing which took out all 6 guys.

Reloaded, went another way, got pummeled to death by a gorillo over and over again.

Reloaded, went another way, came across some scrawny cannibals and beat those all to death, kept going and came across some fog men, beat them to a pulp, kept going and bam beak thinged again.

Reloaded, went to the coast, kept going across there, died in acid swimming across the way.

Maybe I won't go crazy exploring lol.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
When you explore try and leave a few people behind to prevent catastrophic failure like that. They can also attempt to rescue the rest of the party, assuming you didn't wipe to something like a beakthing that'll just annihilate any follow up as well.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Decided to try exploring the land... got eaten by a beak thing which took out all 6 guys.

combat in kenshi actually requires hits to connect to do damage, outside of AOE stuff. beak things have an enormous wind-up to their attack. use these tools to defeat the beak

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
So questions after last night:
Is there a select all guys button without losing your cameras follows?

How do I make my own iron plates? Can't do it in town right?

Do guys respawn in town to recruit? I've hired everyone I can in squin it seems

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Your tilde " ` " button selects all party members.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Maybe I won't go crazy exploring lol.
Here's a little hint for exploration. Keep an eye on your weight and athletics score. Every race has a max run-speed and your athletics governs how much of the max-speed you can achieve. So you very much want your guys to run around a lot and train their athletics so that they become speedy little fucks that can outrun pretty much everything that wants to eat/kill/ensalve them. You need to be light-weight to train athletics so check the weight in your inventory. You can also wear wood sandals that are poo poo for protection but boost your running speed even further. And high inventory weight will also reduce your running speed. Going above moderate is the breakpoint I think. So try to get good backkpacks and spread loot around your party instead of stacking it all on one guy cause that guy will lack behind and die. And you also don't really want to equip metal armors on your scrawny people without enough strength to compensate for the weight. Being able to run away is much more likely to safe you than being able to tank a hit or two in the early game

I find it mandatory to get in some athletics training to like 40 before I feel comfortable going on longer trips or into more dangerous areas. You can just passively train by running in and around your chosen starting city while being light-weight but you can also grind it by repeatedly running between safe areas. Like if you start out in the hub/squin area like me then you can just order your guys to run to the nearest city without much fear of them getting into trouble. Do that for a few days and then you should be on a good way

TipsyMcStagger posted:

How do I make my own iron plates? Can't do it in town right?

Do guys respawn in town to recruit? I've hired everyone I can in squin it seems
Iron plates involve some industry research and buildings that you can't build in a town. Needs to be in your own settlement and you also need a source of raw iron. However you can build all the smithing stuff in towns and just buy plates from traders and outposts to make your own gear

Generic recruits are infinite afaik and will eventually show up. But recruits with more than a few lines of text like ruka are unique and have specific places where they can show up

Kenshi's rite of passage

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Aug 26, 2019

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

combat in kenshi actually requires hits to connect to do damage, outside of AOE stuff. beak things have an enormous wind-up to their attack. use these tools to defeat the beak

Yeah you want to 1v1 beak things or maybe 2v1 them if you want to micro putting dudes on opposite sides of it.

Also if you have a few lovely crossbows, even low tier ones from dust bandits, they are really good vs beak things since they are very large and don't have armor. As you have already learned, do not loving swarm beak things

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Which, incidentally, means that a lot of bigger weapons can have very effective AOE since every connected hit counts for damage... but pretty much only when they are in your hands, because small team vs. large horde is basically the default mode of Kenshi gameplay. Space out doods manually and it's basically impossible for the enemy to hit more than one of your guys at a time - and since the standard game mode is for every fight to be 1 on 1 due to the engage system, which makes it so that even a full ring of enemies around you can only punch you one at a time, AOE outside of beak things is something that pretty much exists for your and only your benefit.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

use these tools to defeat the beak

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
That brings up the other question of what is weapon 1 and 2 slots? If I put a heavy weapon in slot 1 the guy will use it all the time and if I put a crossbow in 1 and a small club in the other then he'll switch right? Why can I put 2 iron clubs into my slot 1? Does it do anything?

Also, should I be putting crossbows on most of my guys and let them try to get a few shots off before melee?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

TipsyMcStagger posted:

That brings up the other question of what is weapon 1 and 2 slots? If I put a heavy weapon in slot 1 the guy will use it all the time and if I put a crossbow in 1 and a small club in the other then he'll switch right? Why can I put 2 iron clubs into my slot 1? Does it do anything?

Also, should I be putting crossbows on most of my guys and let them try to get a few shots off before melee?
Ideally, you have dedicated archers who shoot from a distance and dedicated meatshields who use Taunt to tie up enemies and keep them from going after your archers. The range on a good crossbow is more than you might expect and the great thing about crossbow bolts is that they cannot be dodged or parried. If you win the to-hit, they hit, which makes them really lethal against the right type of enemy.

The weapon 1 and weapon 2 slots are basically like rifle and sidearm. Your dudes will automatically switch away from a big weapon when inside, for example, because those usually have an indoor malus. Archers will, of course, also switch to their off weapon if someone manages to engage them in melee.

And while the slots are big enough to fit two of certain weapons, this actually does nothing, dual wielding is not a thing. It's just a simulationist thing to symbolize that they're small and easily carried in bulk.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Why can I put 2 iron clubs into my slot 1? Does it do anything?

It doesn't do anything except look cool, which is probably why the feature is in the game (a lot of ninjas running around with dual swords on their back)

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You'll also switch to weapon 2 if weapon 1 is two handed and you lose use of an arm.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Amusingly, this will also cause you to switch to kicking if you are using martial arts. Lose both, though, and you can't even kick anymore. Prolly because you'd fall over, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

TipsyMcStagger posted:

That brings up the other question of what is weapon 1 and 2 slots?

It exists to make your martial artists inexplicably suck when you forget to take the crap weapons out of the slots after looting.