Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Alpha Phoenix posted:

That makes sense. Yea, in the American midwest I need to drive past 2 Harley dealerships to find a Honda one. The vast majority of riders are on fat HD and going full squid.

I went to a HD near my house to ask if they had a break fluid cap screw [I stripped one putting on a dumb cap that I love] and they were big jerks and proud that they didn't have one that would work.

tbh I didn't even feel ribbed other than the 'that happened' post [which I didn't even mind].

I mean, It's a good general policy, I guess, to keep people chill to new riders.

Nah I'm sorry, I could've worded that better. I tend to stan for Harleys a lot now because nobody else on this forum will; as a former Harley hater I feel obligated to push back on the common idea that they're poo poo. I'm insanely jealous of the fact that lovely cheap Harleys are a thing for you guys because I badly want to do a Harley project but I don't want to pay $10,000 for the privilege.

The bar buttons are identical to a Japanese bike besides the indicators btw, and one of the cool things about Harleys is that those buttons never, ever change position or function so once you've ridden one you never need the markings again. From left to right they are: high/low, horn, indicator left, indicator right, killswitch, start button. Oh and the indicators self cancel based on speedo signal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
There's no such thing as a cheap Harley here either, minus the occasional Sportster. Used Harley prices are way down from where they were 10-15 years ago but you're not going to find a fixer-upper for a couple grand with looking real hard or "knowing a guy".

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Slavvy posted:

Nah I'm sorry, I could've worded that better.

Hey man no worries, Like I said, you were right. It wasn't a post of me making GBS threads on harleys, it was about me trying out a bike that's four times the weight of my most ridden bike and being terrified.

Also, you pointed out half of the buttons. It was the last row that really threw me, especially since I expected the leftmost rocker to be a turn signal like I was used to. I pushed the big button to see what it would do and was flummoxed when it was a turn signal. (again, no ink left on them)

I don't hate on harleys. I hate on harley-riding squids. :v:

Alpha Phoenix fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 25, 2019

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jazzzzz posted:

There's no such thing as a cheap Harley here either, minus the occasional Sportster. Used Harley prices are way down from where they were 10-15 years ago but you're not going to find a fixer-upper for a couple grand with looking real hard or "knowing a guy".

A cheap Sportster would do me just fine :saddowns:

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Hey man no worries, Like I said, you were right. It wasn't a post of me making GBS threads on harleys, it was about me trying out a bike that's four times the weight of my most ridden bike and being terrified.

Also, you pointed out half of the buttons. It was the last row that really threw me, especially since I expected the leftmost rocker to be a turn signal like I was used to. I pushed the big button to see what it would do and was flummoxed when it was a turn signal. (again, no ink left on them)

I don't hate on harleys. I hate on harley-riding squids. :v:

Oh right you rode a really fancy one with cruise control and stuff, aka a touring aka a bagger.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

The bar buttons are identical to a Japanese bike
If by identical you mean laid out differently with different functionality and uniquely different tactile feedback

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

If by identical you mean laid out differently with different functionality and uniquely different tactile feedback

Identical in function is what I meant but eh

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

So I passed my MSF course today, and I've been thinking about bikes.

Any experience with the VanVan? It looks like a retro bike with low power, yet big enough for my fat rear end to not fall over like the Grom I used in the MSF.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

If you are buying new, for very little more you can get a lot more motorcycle.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Wasn't planning on new. Theres a few used in my area for 1k-1200 off MSRP.

My gf also got her MSF done and wanted something that would fit her, and me. I know I can get more bike at the same price, but it looks like a good compromise of smaller, lighter bike with a largerish frame. The styling we also like was an extra bonus. Just wondered if anyone had driven one, and if there was something terribly wrong with it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The TU250X has the same price point and I’ve heard a lot of good things about it if you’re going for that specific retro look.

Ninja edit: just saw your newest post

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mustache Ride posted:

Wasn't planning on new. Theres a few used in my area for 1k-1200 off MSRP.

My gf also got her MSF done and wanted something that would fit her, and me. I know I can get more bike at the same price, but it looks like a good compromise of smaller, lighter bike with a largerish frame. The styling we also like was an extra bonus. Just wondered if anyone had driven one, and if there was something terribly wrong with it.

Nothing terribly wrong with them but they are terribly, terribly slow even for a learner bike. Your other points are entirely valid but styling is uuh not what you want to base learner bike purchases on.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Counterpoint: if the VanVan in any way handles like the TW, which it appears to be a streetified version of, it will be a total hoot to ride, and very forgiving. I hope to have one in my garage one day.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If you like that type of bike IMO the Honda FTR225 is noticeably better than the rest.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Not sure where OP is located, but given 5/10 google results for FTR225 are in Japanese, I don’t think we get that in the US. So far, nobody has an actual reason not to get a VanVan other than “it’s not this other bike.” New rider wants a small slow bike, wtf is wrong with that? Every other new rider posting in this thread about a bike they have in mind gets told “get a 250!” What’s so different now?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
i say go for it, it's literally just a tw200

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Cool thanks

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
The vanvan, like the tw200, is super rad and you should totally get it for your first bike if you want one. I hear the seat is ridiculously comfortable.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Oh poo poo I just read the VanVan is EFI, too. gently caress yeah, get one and report back. I don't think we have any owners in here.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
I rented one on a Greek island last year. Can confirm its the most comfortable thing ever and a lot of fun to throw around clifftop roads.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

I have not owned or ridden a VanVan, but as a two-time TW200 owner they are fantastic bikes but have one fatal flaw: they will not approach freeway speeds. Country highway speeds are doable (~55mph) but it's just not what they are designed for. If your riding is only around town, or a few miles outside of town to hit some trails, they cannot be beat for fun and reliability.

If you want something that can go farther in that price range, you want a XT225/XT250, KLX250S, WR250R, or CRF250l. These are all dual sports, for street bikes you have more options. Ninja 250/300/400, CBR250/300R/CB300F, Yamaha R3, TU250, etc etc etc.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Yep, i figured it would top out around that. I currently have a big 70s pickup that won't do much more than 65, but is fine for banging around town, so i think I'll be okay without a bike that can do freeway speeds. My gf is also planning to use it as a commuter on surface streets, so it's not likely to ever need to be on the freeway.

The main issue I'm having with most of the 250s is they weigh in the 300+lbs range and my gf is worried about being able to pick it up when she inevitably knocks it over. The VanVan seems to have pretty modern features in a very lightweight frame with not much engine horsepower and seemed like a good compromise of a midsize/smaller bike that she could continue to use for commuting when I wanted to upgrade after getting more experience.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

That's kinda a silly fear, remember people can pick up 600lbs+ baggers, and it's not that they're bigger and stronger than your GF, this isn't a criticism of your purchase, at that price point it'll be a fun toy to keep around even if you get real motorcycles in the future, since tiny bikes are fun as gently caress.

Here's the proper technique for picking up a bike (from the back, jerking and twisting):https://youtu.be/KvlUMiiuKag

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Dual sports are some of the best beginner bikes for the aspiring rider that is open to anything. They’re durable go anywhere and fun as gently caress

Even after I got my first literbike I kept my starter (drz400) because it has so much to offer. I still learn new poo poo on it all the time five years later. This last weekend I started practicing drop backs on my wheelies

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Here is a goofy video about the TW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2a-sUdaNJ8

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Elviscat posted:

..at that price point it'll be a fun toy to keep around even if you get real motorcycles in the future, since tiny bikes are fun as gently caress.

Yep this. I've owned a bunch of bigger faster bikes but I kept a tdub around because it was just so much fun to ride. I only sold it this spring to replace it with a WR because I wanted a bit more capability, but I will 100% buy another tdub if the price is right. I have a friend who normally rides a ZX1400, talked him into a Sherpa as a second bike and he loves it. It cannot be understated how riding on the dirt or trails at any speed is a massive boost to your skills and self confidence as a rider.

I forgot about the Super Sherpa, add that to the list. It has a very low seat height and low weight (~260lbs), a disc front and rear, and 6 speed. Tops out a bit over 70.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Sliding around on gravel, mud, and ice with a small bike is really fun. Same with running that small 250cc engine hard on sealed surfaces, it's pretty drat cool to get perfect shifts and trying to get perfect apexes on a twisty road just stay at normal big bike cruise speed. You don't have oodles of power to just power out, so you gotta ride clean and have a good flow. It's very good training.
I'd say the best skill lifts I've had is the 2 winters of ice riding on studded tires with my honda nx250, I finally realised how good a grip you really have on normal gravel.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I rode a VanVan for my MSF. It was about as standard a bike as I could imagine. My one complaint was that the rear brake pedal was tiny, but it seemed like something you could get used to.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Carteret posted:

If you are buying new,

It's a Suzuki

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Thats the VERY video I was hoping the URL would link to. He also does a good one on the KLR 650. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvGZS5fqxrk

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I like a lot of his videos. He’s into the adventure bike camping stuff that I’d like to poke my head into once I get bored with my R3 (or more likely just decide to have two bikes.)

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

he's the only dude on youtube making motorcycle videos worth watching

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Rolo posted:

I like a lot of his videos. He’s into the adventure bike camping stuff that I’d like to poke my head into once I get bored with my R3 (or more likely just decide to have two bikes.)

He's also got a good ability to say a bunch of silly stuff and make dumb jokes without being nearly as obnoxious as literally every other vlogger.

mewse
May 2, 2006

This is a really dumb question but is there a fast track to learning gear shifting (particularly downshifting)? I'm noobie as gently caress and found myself holding the clutch and stomping the shifter down from like 3rd gear when rolling to a stop.

I know the answer's going to be "practice" so I'm probably expressing frustration more than anything.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

mewse posted:

This is a really dumb question but is there a fast track to learning gear shifting (particularly downshifting)? I'm noobie as gently caress and found myself holding the clutch and stomping the shifter down from like 3rd gear when rolling to a stop.

I know the answer's going to be "practice" so I'm probably expressing frustration more than anything.

Practice.

You shouldTo begin, try to be in 2nd gear in the final approach to a stop, clutching in the last few feet of it. Eventually you can mix in shifting down into 1st or N during that clutch-in rolling to a stop while braking period, but maybe just focus on two simultaneous tasks for now. Pick an empty straight stretch of road where you can work up at least 3 or 4 gears (on that bike, maybe 45 mph?) and back down to a stop.

While downshifting, if the rpms get really high and the bike lurches like you've grabbed the brakes when you let the clutch out, you've downshifted to early. If you downshift and let the clutch out and there's no change in engine speed, you've downshifted too late. An ideal downshift should need just a blip of throttle to raise the engine speed enough to match vehicle speed without a big lurch of engine braking. Maybe someone more familiar with your bike can chime in with approximate rpms:vehicle speed.

It's just part of manual transmissions, though, not unique to bikes.

mewse
May 2, 2006

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

It's just part of manual transmissions, though, not unique to bikes.

Yeah I've just never driven stick so the whole thing is new

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

mewse posted:

Yeah I've just never driven stick so the whole thing is new

Books like Total Control, Proficient Motorcycling, Twist of the Wrist, and Sportbike Riding Techniques have good explanations as well if you're a book learner. I personally like Total Control.

mewse
May 2, 2006

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Books like Total Control, Proficient Motorcycling, Twist of the Wrist, and Sportbike Riding Techniques have good explanations as well if you're a book learner. I personally like Total Control.

That seems like a really good idea

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
If I'm on an empty road approaching a red light I deliberately downshift slowly with no brake or clutch, so the engine does all the braking, aided by the (mentioned above) little throttle blip.
It's good because if the light goes green you can take off again and sort of learn what speed your bike wants to go at in each gear.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Re: shifting, when I was first learning I for some reason kept on avoiding shifting, it just seemed like one more thing to deal with so I'd just get the bike into 2nd and leave it there unless I came to a stop. At some point I just said gently caress it and found a nice straight but not crowded road where I didn't have to worry about anything else, and I think it was literally 5 mins of just shifting up and down until I realized it really wasn't that hard. I found that most things that seemed hard at first, like taking off from a stop and not stalling, were easily fixed by going somewhere empty (or a parking lot) and just focusing on that one thing for a tiny bit of time. Even just 10 or 15 mins of focusing on one thing will make a huge improvement, at least it did for me. Part of what's crazy about a bike at first is you have so much to deal with that's new, so getting practice on the basics and not having to worry about anything else really helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

MomJeans420 posted:

Re: shifting, when I was first learning I for some reason kept on avoiding shifting, it just seemed like one more thing to deal with so I'd just get the bike into 2nd and leave it there unless I came to a stop. At some point I just said gently caress it and found a nice straight but not crowded road where I didn't have to worry about anything else, and I think it was literally 5 mins of just shifting up and down until I realized it really wasn't that hard. I found that most things that seemed hard at first, like taking off from a stop and not stalling, were easily fixed by going somewhere empty (or a parking lot) and just focusing on that one thing for a tiny bit of time. Even just 10 or 15 mins of focusing on one thing will make a huge improvement, at least it did for me. Part of what's crazy about a bike at first is you have so much to deal with that's new, so getting practice on the basics and not having to worry about anything else really helps.

Yeah, this is excellent advice. Pick whatever skill it is that needs attention and go somewhere that it can be singled out with no other factors. At any point in your riding career. I still go to a parking lot or empty road and figure out what it takes to break the rear end loose or focus on turning right or whatever.