Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Let's cheat our way to Page 59.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PumpkinBat
Oct 22, 2012
Wow, that pink crystal we shoved into our inventory is quite the multi-purpose MacGuffin (at least for the endings).

Rebonack7, those fish can't be piranha, they're freshwater.

Ah yes, classic Goosebumps multiple quantum possibilities. I can't wait to find out that the curse is actually aliens or something.

I solved the maze all by myself like a big boy without cheating and ended up on page 59.

PumpkinBat fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 20, 2019

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

page 59 is an impossible destination for liars, cads, cheats, and thieves. go to page 11 which is actually a real exit!

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Page 59 is an impossible destination for liars, cads, cheats, and thieves, so that sounds like fun. Page 59 it is.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Page 59

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

PumpkinBat posted:

Rebonack7, those fish can't be piranha, they're freshwater.

Deep in the Jungle of Doom had an underground piranha with translucent skin who could grant wishes, and one of the later books in the series has carnivorous goldfish that glow in the dark. Stine is good at a lot of things, but ichthyology isn't one of them. Case in point, this is what happens when we cheat at the octopus maze:

quote:

Hey – you cheated! But you still won’t make it through the tangled mess of octopuses’ arms. They’re squeezing you so tightly, you think you’ll be crushed.

“Nooooooo!” you scream in frustration. Then, because you can’t think of anything better to do, you open your mouth wide. You chomp down hard on an octopus tentacle.

Bad idea.

You’ve heard that a vampire bite will make you a vampire, right? And if you’re bitten by a werewolf, well, you know the story.

It works the same way with an octopus. Only in reverse. Yup! It doesn’t need to bite you. You just need to bite it!

Don’t believe it? Glance down at your arm. Oops! I mean arms. Check out your big round head.

Face it. You’ve turned into a giant octopus!

All you were trying to do was lend Gina a hand. Now you don’t have one to lend her! But your new group of friends welcomes you with open arms and arms and arms and arms and arms and arms and arms and arms...

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Pink Crystal

Goal Endings: 2/5

Bad Endings
Mistook the mouth of a giant man-eating sea monster for a tunnel and ran inside.
Buried alive by an avalanche of pink diamonds.
Transformed into a skeleton pirate by the light of the pink crystals.
Skeletonized by a school of piranha in the brig.
:siren:Transformed into an octopus after biting one.:siren:

Achievements
None yet.

Our options posted:

• Dive for the gleaming spearhead.
  • Solve the octopus maze correctly.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
what

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
:allears:

Okay, let's do it right

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I call bullshit. Roast octopus is one of my favorite dishes and nothing ever happened to me. :mad:.

Let's not cheat this time.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

You mean this didn't count as a goal ending?

PumpkinBat
Oct 22, 2012

Rebonack7 posted:

Stine is good at a lot of things, but ichthyology isn't one of them.

You don't need to tell me. Deep Trouble is especially aggravating to me because the uncle is supposedly an ichthyologist, yet warns our protagonist against "electric eels".

On a coral reef.

(However, another scene where he keeps guppies in a saltwater tank isn't a mistake. A guppy can indeed be acclimated to sea water.)

:psyduck:

Let's, uh, just do the maze right.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Do the maze right to avoid confusing us even more

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Alright, let's solve the maze for real this time!

quote:

Great job! You escaped from the octopuses! And with only a few dozen purple spots left on your skin by the suckers.

You leave the octopuses tangled in their own arms and swim back to the sunken ship. You’ll just have to help Gina all by yourself. This time you’re careful to avoid any sea creatures. You spot a few schools of fish, but they ignore you.

When you reach the ship, you swim to the gun port and gaze into the cabin where Gina was tied up.

She’s gone!

Where did the pirate skeletons take her?

Now you definitely have to sneak on board.

This takes us to the same page as if we'd decided to rescue Gina right away. Seems like kind of a waste to have the monster on the cover tucked away in a tiny, completely optional section, but that's not exactly unheard of for these books.

Anyway, we've completely explored every possible path through the undersea cave, so it's finally time to go back and grab that spearhead!

quote:

With the shark closing in, defending yourself seems like your best choice. You take a deep breath and dive below the surface. You race toward the gleaming object.

You pick it up. Oh, no! It’s not a spearhead! It’s just a piece of brightly painted stone.

But it is sharp. And it’s better than nothing!

You surface and gulp air. Kala is pulling up the anchor, but he’ll never get to you in time. Gina is nowhere in sight. The shark’s fin cuts through the water, streaking toward you.

Closer. Closer.

Fear clutches your heart as tightly as you clutch the stone. Will it pierce the shark’s tough skin?

The shark is so close, you can count its teeth! You paddle in place and hold the stone high, ready to slam it into the beast’s face.

To your surprise, the shark freezes, its mouth wide open and its teeth gleaming. It rolls on its side. One black eye stares at the stone.

Then the creature turns and flees!

quote:

Wow, you think as you watch the shark’s retreat. That was really weird.

But you’re safe!

You turn the piece of stone over in your hand. It’s a small triangle. One side is plain white. On the other side, a painted eye stares at you. Its deep, black pupil is surrounded by a purple ring. For a moment you feel hypnotized.

As you examine the triangle, it grows warm in your hand. You tuck it into your bathing suit. You’ll figure out what it is later. After your close encounter with the shark, all you want to do is get back to the boat. And back on land!

Gina’s head pops out of the water near the cave entrance. As you swim toward her, the stone piece begins to burn.

Where it touches you, your skin feels as if it’s on fire!

quote:

“Gina!” you shout. You stop and tread water. She spots you and waves. “Gina, come here!” you call again.

“What’s wrong?” Gina says, swimming over.

“There’s a shark nearby. Let’s get into the boat. Quickly!” you reply.

Gina’s eyes widen fearfully. Without another word, she swims toward the boat.

By now Kala has started the engine and he races over the reef to pick up you and Gina.

“You’re safe!” he cries with relief, helping you into the boat.

The stone is burning your skin! You yank it out of your bathing suit and throw it to the bottom of the boat.

The mysterious eye stares up at you.

Kala glances down. His expression changes from relief to surprise. He bends down to examine the stone.

“No!” he gasps. A look of horror comes over his face.

quote:

“What is that?” Gina asks, staring at the painted stone.

“I don’t know,” you admit. “But I think Kala does.”

“It – it’s nothing,” Kala stammers. “Just some ocean junk.” From his nervous tone, you get the feeling he’s lying.

On the ride back to the resort, you notice Kala stealing glances at the stone piece. It seems to make him nervous.

As the boat pulls up to the dock, Kala speaks very softly. “I believe you have found something very important,” he tells you. “But you must make sure.”

You’re glad he’s talking to you again. Even if he is acting strange. “But how do I find out what it is?” you ask.

“Go to the village,” he tells you, “and find Hooahtoo.”

“Who what who?” you repeat.

“Hooahtoo. He will tell you what you have found,” Kala explains. “But tell no one about it. And trust no one!”

Gina grabs the snorkeling equipment while you wrap the stone in a towel. Then you and Gina scramble onto the dock. You watch Kala start up the boat and drive away.

“That Kala is one weird dude,” Gina comments.

“Maybe...,” you reply thoughtfully.

quote:

You and Gina quickly change out of your wet bathing suits in the dockside cabanas. You carry the stone piece wrapped in your towel. You don’t want it to burn you again! Then you head into town.

You pass a sign by the side of the road. “Check that out,” you tell Gina. You point at the crudely lettered notice.

“Visit the archaeological dig!” she reads aloud. “See ancient artifacts, explained by Dr. Oliver Oates!”

“Dr. Oates,” you repeat. “Maybe that’s who we should see about the stone eye.”

“Yeah,” Gina agrees. “Maybe the thing you found is an ancient artifact. Then Dr. Oates would know all about it.”

“After all,” you add, “I don’t even know this Hooahtoo guy.”

“Well, you don’t know Dr. Oates, either,” Gina points out. “If you ask me, it’s a toss-up.”

She’s right. It is a toss-up. So toss it up!

Toss up a coin. If it lands on HEADS, go see Hooahtoo on PAGE 81.

If the coin lands on TAILS, go see Oates on PAGE 10.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
:siren:Stone Piece:siren:

Bad Endings
Mistook the mouth of a giant man-eating sea monster for a tunnel and ran inside.
Transformed into an octopus after biting one.

Achievements
None yet.

Our options posted:

• See Hooahtoo about the stone piece.
  • See Dr. Oates about the stone piece.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Heads

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Tails

rudecyrus fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Aug 24, 2019

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Surely nothing insensitive can come from meeting someone named Hooahtoo.

Heads

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Tails

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Omnicrom posted:

Surely nothing insensitive can come from meeting someone named Hooahtoo.

For completely unrelated reasons, I'd like to point out that this book was published in 1997 and the content of the text does not necessarily reflect my own views.

Anyway, we're tied. Next coin flip takes it!

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Rebonack7 posted:

For completely unrelated reasons, I'd like to point out that this book was published in 1997 and the content of the text does not necessarily reflect my own views.

Anyway, we're tied. Next coin flip takes it!

Well, with that endorsement, obviously Heads

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Hooahtoo it is!

quote:

The decision is made. “Okay, let’s go see this Hooahtoo guy,” you declare.

You and Gina find your way to Hooahtoo’s shack in the village.

“Enter,” a booming voice calls from inside.

Hey. How did he know you were there? You didn’t have time to ring the wind chimes in the doorway yet!

Gina pushes you forward. You nervously pull aside the palm leaves covering the opening. A purple mist hangs in the dark, round room. The sweet smell of mango incense fills the air. Tiki masks cover the walls.

“Show Hooahtoo what you have brought him,” the deep voice orders. The speaker is still hidden inside the mist.

This place really gives you the creeps. The smells. The sounds. Everything.

Gina jabs her elbow into your side.

“I... my name is...,” you stammer.

“Hooahtoo knows who you are,” the voice interrupts you. “Hooahtoo knows everything.” An arm waves the mist aside.

Gina gasps.

You gulp.

That’s Hooahtoo?

quote:

The man with the big voice is actually tiny!

Teeny-tiny!

Hooahtoo barely comes up to your chest!

A long white beard flows down the front of his purple robe. Seashells and purple flowers crown his mane of white hair. The purple mist continues to swirl around him. You can’t figure out where it’s coming from.

Then Hooahtoo stares right at you. There is no color in his eyes. They are as white as his hair.

Hooahtoo is blind.

“Show me the thing you have brought with you,” Hooahtoo orders again. He stretches his hand toward you.

As you stare at him, your eyes are drawn to a medallion hanging around his neck. In the center of the medallion is a jeweled eye.

You’ve seen an eye exactly like it before.

On the gleaming stone piece you found on the ocean floor!

quote:

You have the pointy stone wrapped in your towel. Hooahtoo points to the bundle. “Show me what’s in there,” he orders.

“How does he see it?” Gina whispers.

You shrug, then kneel down. As you unroll the towel, Hooahtoo leans forward. Slowly, he waves his wrinkled hand over the towel. His hand stops directly over the stone piece. It’s as if he sees with his hand instead of his eyes.

His bony fingers touch the broken stone piece lightly. When he feels the painted eye, he throws his arms up and shrieks. You’re so startled, you stumble backwards.

“The curse is on you!” he shouts. “The curse is on you!”

“This guy’s been in the purple mist too long,” Gina mutters. “Let’s get out of here.”

Maybe Gina’s right. Hooahtoo is really weird.

Hooahtoo seems to read your mind. “If you go, the curse goes with you,” he warns. “If you stay, the curse shall be broken.”

There’s no way you’re staying here one second longer. Curse or no curse, you’re getting out!

If you grab the bit of stone and race for the door, run to PAGE 91.

If you leave the stone behind, dash to PAGE 5.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Stone Piece

Bad Endings

Achievements
None yet.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Leave the stone

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Leave it!

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Leave it!

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pWC-4dx3Q0

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You and Gina race out of Hooahtoo’s shack, leaving the Eye on the floor. The last thing you need is some weird stone with a curse on it! Let Hooahtoo return it!

“The eye shall be on you wherever you go!” Hooahtoo calls after you. “Beware!”

“I’d rather ‘beware’ than be there,” Gina mutters.

The two of you don’t slow down until you’re far from Hooahtoo’s shack. “I’m glad you left the Tiki Eye in the shack,” Gina tells you. “Good riddance to bad rubbish.”

“Yeah,” you agree, jogging beside her. “That thing was nothing but bad luck from the moment I found it.”

“Well, it’s Hooahtoo’s problem now,” Gina says with a laugh.

But then her laughter turns into a shriek.

“What is it?” you cry, freezing in place.

She points at you. “I... I...” she stammers.

“You what?” you shout back at her.

“Not I,” Gina sputters. “EYE! The eye! Look!” She points at your left shoe.

It’s the eye! Sitting on the toe of your sneaker!

“Nooo!” you wail.

quote:

“Get it off me!” you yell. You shake your foot as hard as you can. The eye doesn’t budge. It stares up at you.

Your heart pounds as you realize the truth. “Hooahtoo was right,” you wail. “It’s the curse! The eye will be on me wherever I go!”

“Just kick it off,” Gina orders.

“Don’t you think I’m trying?” you snap. You shake your foot again. The stone fragment doesn’t move.

Gina kneels down. She tries to pry the stone eye from your sneaker.

Without warning, your foot suddenly kicks out. It knocks Gina hard on the chin. She flies backward several feet.

“Gina!” You cry. “I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to –“

Gina cuts you off. “Forget it!” she huffs. “That’s no way to treat someone who’s trying to help!” She storms away.

You gaze after her sadly. She’ll never believe that it was the Tiki Eye on your shoe that made you kick her. It was as if it was controlling your foot!

And now, the eye on your sneaker is making you walk!

Fast!

quote:

Your right foot can barely keep up with your left! The Tiki Eye drags you quickly back to the resort.

Along the way, you try to get rid of the eye. You scrape it on a root. You bang your foot against a tree trunk until it hurts.

Nothing works.

The eye sticks to your sneaker as if it were super-glued!

On the dock up ahead you spot Kala’s dad, the resort owner. Thank goodness! you think. Maybe he can help. He might know about island curses!

You rush up to the dock. Kala’s dad bends down, reaching into a boat tied to the dock.

Oh, no! Before you can call out his name, the eye on your shoe takes control again! You boot Kala’s dad right in the behind! He flies off the dock into the water.

“You!” he sputters when his head pops out above the water. “I’m speaking to your mother! You will be banned from all resort activities!”

Your heart sinks. There goes your vacation.

But can you blame him?

No one likes to be kicked in

THE END.

There's a weird continuity error in this ending - and I mean an actual, unintentional mistake, not Stine deliberately changing things up between timelines like he usually does. For some reason, the characters refer to the stone piece as the Tiki Eye even though they shouldn't actually know what it's called yet. My guess is that Stine came back and wrote this ending later, but forgot Hooahtoo hadn't already told us what it was. Regardless, now that the cat's out of the bag, I'll go ahead and update our inventory to match.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
:siren:Tiki Eye:siren:

Bad Endings
:siren:Forced to kick people by a cursed rock stuck to our foot.:siren:

Achievements
None yet.

Our options posted:

• See Dr. Oates about the stone piece.
  • Grab the stone piece and leave.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

let's make like a stone and leaf

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
See Dr. Oates

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Tied, next vote takes it!

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Take the stone

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

We're not leaving here without our fancy rock!

quote:

You grab the broken stone piece and head for the door. Before you can shove aside the wide palm leaf, something burns your hand.

“Ouch!” you shout. Your flesh sizzles! The stone piece is frying your skin!

You drop it to the ground.

You halt at the doorway, clutching your burned hand.

Gina stops behind you. “What’s wrong?” she asks.

You hold out your hand to show her. You’re in too much pain to speak.

“Whoa!” Gina gasps. She gazes at your palm. “It’s the eye!”

Smoke rises from the center of your palm. As it wafts away, the outline of an eye is revealed.

It’s burned like a tattoo into your hand.

Hooahtoo laughs. “You cannot take it. You cannot leave it. The curse is upon you now.”

quote:

“What should I do?” you wail. “Kala said you would tell me.”

“Kala is right,” Hooahtoo answers slowly. “Listen carefully.” He fixes his blind eyes on you. You can’t tear your own eyes away.

“You have found a piece of the sacred Tiki mask stolen from the sacred Tiki altar. The eye must be replaced. Then and only then will the curse be lifted from Tiki Island.”

You glance at the masks on the wall. None of them is missing an eye. “Where is the Tiki mask?” you ask.

“In the land of fire,” Hooahtoo whispers. “In the land of Tiki Magic. That is where the Tiki Eye must go.”

quote:

“Here,” you say, pushing the stone piece toward Hooahtoo with your foot. “Take it. You return the Tiki Eye. We didn’t come on this vacation to open a repair shop for broken Tiki masks!”

“No, my friend,” Hooahtoo replies solemnly. “It is you who found the piece. It is you who must replace it. Nothing will be the same until the Tiki Mask is restored.”

“Oh, all right,” you grumble. This guy is probably too small to lift the stone eye, anyway. “Just tell us where the mask is, and we’ll put back the missing piece.”

Hooahtoo nods. “You must climb the highest mountain on Tiki Island. You must pass through the wall of Tiki warriors. Only then will you lift the curse from Tiki Island.”

You feel the color drain from your face. “But the highest mountain on Tiki Island is Kenalua,” you stammer.

“I’ve heard of Kenalua,” Gina says. “Isn’t that the famous –“

“Volcano,” you finish for her. “And it’s active!”

quote:

Hooahtoo gives you and Gina detailed directions to the volcano. He warns you to trust no one. “Do not be deceived by face or form,” he advises. “Do not be fooled. Even by your own eyes.”

“I don’t like this whole thing,” Gina whispers nervously to you. “Is he for real?”

“What is real and what is not is for me to know and you to find out,” Hooahtoo answers for you. “You must go now. There is no time to lose.”

The tiny old blind man picks up the Tiki Eye and places it inside a box made of woven grass. “Here,” he says, handing you the box. “Take this and go. Now! And remember: As long as you have the eye, you are in danger.”

quote:

You square your shoulders and tuck the small box into your pocket. Then you and Gina hurry to the path up the volcano.

As you approach, you see a group of tourists. A tour guide is lecturing about the Kenalua Volcano.

“Let’s listen in,” Gina suggests, pulling you to a stop.

“We can’t,” you protest. “Hooahtoo said we have to go now.

“Well, I’d kind of like to know what we’re getting into,” Gina argues.

Gina’s got a point. Maybe you should stop and learn more about this volcano.

Then you feel the heat of the stone seeping through the straw box in your pocket.

Do you have time to stop?

If you stop and listen to the guide, turn to PAGE 77.

If you keep going, turn to PAGE 130.

Just as an aside, you might want to keep this conversation with Hooahtoo in the back of your minds, because it's going to make a later plot twist in one of the endings very, very stupid.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Tiki Eye

Bad Endings
Forced to kick people by a cursed rock stuck to our foot.

Achievements
None yet.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Let's listen to the guide

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Keep on keepin' on.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ignore all advice!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Let's listen to the tour guide so that we don't get eaten by a giant snake or something.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Let's listen to the tour guide so that we don't get eaten by a giant snake or something.

Exactly. Adults are never helpful. but the books like punishing us for being reckless (sometimes i guess)

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Let's learn about volcanoes.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

The Tiki Mask isn't going anywhere, so we might as well take the time to learn about the volcano's dangers. This is a GYGB book, so for all we know there's a bunch of giant man-eating lizards waiting to eat us if we step in the wrong place or something.

quote:

“Okay, okay,” you say to Gina. “We’ll listen to the guide. But then we have to hurry!”

“Sshhh!” Gina hushes you. “She’s talking about the volcano.”

“I know you all want to climb to the walkway around the mouth of the volcano,” the dark-haired tour guide says.

“Yeah!” a loudmouthed guy calls out from the crowd. “That’s why we came all this way!”

“I’m sorry to tell you the tour stops right here,” the guide continues. “Kenalua last erupted in nineteen sixty. Before that she erupted in nineteen twenty. Scientists predict her pattern of eruption to be about every forty years. But the growling in Kenalua’s belly has been felt recently. Scientists are watching her very closely.”

As if on cue, a sudden rumbling sound fills the air.

quote:

“Take us up to the top,” the loudmouth shouts. “We’re not scared of a little noise. It’ll be years before –“

An even louder rumble drowns out the big mouth. That’s all it takes to terrify most of the tourists. They scatter, running toward the village.

But the tour guide remains. And the loudmouth heads up the path to the top of Kenalua.

Is he going up to the mouth of the volcano? you wonder. He’s either really brave or really dumb.

But maybe you should follow him. After all, Hooahtoo told you to break the spell by bringing the Tiki Eye to the volcano. And he warned you not to waste any time.

Or should you wait to see what the tour guide does?

After all, she’s the expert!

If you follow the loudmouth up the volcano, turn to PAGE 109.

If you wait to see what the tour guide does, turn to PAGE 31.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Tiki Eye

Bad Endings
Forced to kick people by a cursed rock stuck to our foot.

Achievements
None yet.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Listen to the guide!

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I think this loud, rude tourist probably knows what he's doing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Follow that tourist!