Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I think as far as bosses go that there isn't necessarily wrong with the design of having so many adds, but I would have liked to seen a bit more creativity with the boss fight designs.

But I can't imagine we won't be seeing more bosses as post-game content and maybe they're saving the best for later? Who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'd say the boss spread is definitely a bit heavy on certain aspects which make them frustrating to more than a few. it's a bit of a sore spot if i had to pick one, but ultimately it's absolutely not as bad as some really hyperbolic people on the internet tried to make it out to be.

hopefully if/when we get dlc the devs take some comments to heart and maybe try to shake things up a bit more

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Russian Remoulade posted:

Is it just a matter of "equip everything that buffs melee" or should I be looking for specific pieces?

You want the Ent leg hammer (petrified maul?) as your weapon, lifesteal ring, and then everything else that buffs melee. I think the armor you want is the void armor.

Then max out all of the melee traits and damage reducing traits.

Your weapons should be a couple of powerful weapons to charge you mods quickly.

Mods are thorns aura and then the howl of the pack (damage reduction). Now go melee the crap out of those trees!

Laura-4-Lyfe
Oct 14, 2005

I wouldn't mind all the adds in the boss fights if there was a way to reliably know that they spawned right behind you. The melee adds make little to no noise and the ranged ones are not much better. Most of the times I've died have been to something spawning behind me with no warning. At least the suicide bombers make a noise.

I also think the tree boss is a giant gently caress you to anyone he spawns for. The dragon is an easier fight and you get an actual useful weapon from him. I really hate that stupid tree.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Laura-4-Lyfe posted:

I wouldn't mind all the adds in the boss fights if there was a way to reliably know that they spawned right behind you. The melee adds make little to no noise and the ranged ones are not much better. Most of the times I've died have been to something spawning behind me with no warning. At least the suicide bombers make a noise.

I also think the tree boss is a giant gently caress you to anyone he spawns for. The dragon is an easier fight and you get an actual useful weapon from him. I really hate that stupid tree.

The Ent's weapon isn't bad at all though? Sporebloom is effectively a super coach gun with a good mod. I used it for like half of my first playthrough and it was very solid. It doesn't measure up to poo poo like the Beam Rifle but very little does.

Laura-4-Lyfe
Oct 14, 2005

Kanos posted:

The Ent's weapon isn't bad at all though? Sporebloom is effectively a super coach gun with a good mod. I used it for like half of my first playthrough and it was very solid. It doesn't measure up to poo poo like the Beam Rifle but very little does.

Really? That's crazy. For me it was less effective than my starter shotgun and fire ammo was much more useful.

Speaking of the random world, is there any way to tell right from the start which world boss you get? It took me three tries to finally get the dragon to spawn on earth. And I'm sick of playing through earth now.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Sticking with the plain guns like the starter weapons is totally feasible all the way to endgame, right? Also, is there a respec function?

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

toasterwarrior posted:

Sticking with the plain guns like the starter weapons is totally feasible all the way to endgame, right? Also, is there a respec function?

The starting gear is definitely fine as long as you keep them upgraded (but try to keep upgrade levels even across your items). After you beat the game once, the final boss drops a respec token and you can buy more tokens from a vendor.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Cool, thank you!

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
The sniper rifle is a good gun but not the greatest main gun, especially for the final boss.

Don't be like me. Diversify. Finally beat that jerk but needed coop to do it.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

I thought having adds was fine for the most part but it would be cool to see more involved/dynamic fights with different gimmicks. I can see how it would be hard to balance for single/multiplayer though.

For all that people hate on it I liked the Ixilis fight as a change of pace and strategy. Undying King and the two Vyr buddies were good fights too. Tho I can see all those fights sucking hugely if you were solo

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Sixto Lezcano posted:

I thought having adds was fine for the most part but it would be cool to see more involved/dynamic fights with different gimmicks. I can see how it would be hard to balance for single/multiplayer though.

For all that people hate on it I liked the Ixilis fight as a change of pace and strategy. Undying King and the two Vyr buddies were good fights too. Tho I can see all those fights sucking hugely if you were solo

Ixilis is way easier solo. Haven't tried Undying King solo but that one probably isn't too bad either with the right build.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
Undying King is a fight where I liked the way the adds come in. They don't magically materialize behind you, there are consistent sound/visual cues, you can't just sprint around the room to lose them and have to be more proactive. It's also less of a pure dps check in the way that the final boss and (on higher difficulties) Ixillis are, good execution can make up the difference.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Also I just really appreciate this game’s vibe and presentation. Lotta cool style here, and the story is pretty neat. What a cool rear end game that just appeared outta nowhere.

Speaking of appearing outta nowhere, the bit at the end of Earth where the tower shows up made me holler IRL.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
im not sure root mother was designed for one person, this is rear end

edit: oh nevermind

Thumbtacks fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Aug 27, 2019

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Been playing 5his with a friend and I was qondering what drops are shared between players. I thought ammo and lumenite(?) crystals were shared but he was telling me they are not.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

every drop except for ammo is shared

if someone picks up a bit of gear you already have you get a big chunk of scrap instead

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

limp_cheese posted:

Been playing 5his with a friend and I was qondering what drops are shared between players. I thought ammo and lumenite(?) crystals were shared but he was telling me they are not.

Everything but ammo

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
note that shop purchases are not drops for the purposes of the mechanic

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Promethium posted:

The starting gear is definitely fine as long as you keep them upgraded (but try to keep upgrade levels even across your items). After you beat the game once, the final boss drops a respec token and you can buy more tokens from a vendor.

You don't even need to beat the game on your end, joining in on someone else's final boss works just as well. :v:

You'd think the co-op would limit you to a world ahead at most, but nope here have the final boss while you're still puttering about on Corsus.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
after playing for a few hours today and doing a LOT of public matchmaking, i'm significantly more comfortable with my gameplay and I think it's started to click. Having one or two people to draw aggro gave me time to breathe and analyze movement and positioning and stuff, and i'm breezing through my campaign. the ent might suck once i get there but I downed him with one other guy so I get the general loop. It's just going to take a while and it'll suck.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Good to know. I wonder why I had 12 of those crystals and he only had 4. Keep in mind we have only played with each other and I haven't done anything solo.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe
The Rattleweed mod is the best, you can cheese so many encounters with it and I don’t know if I could have done the Radiant Tomb and its infinite adds without that little bush drawing all the aggro.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

chami posted:

The Rattleweed mod is the best, you can cheese so many encounters with it and I don’t know if I could have done the Radiant Tomb and its infinite adds without that little bush drawing all the aggro.

I absolutely could not have done undying king without it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I think "budget game" describes this game perfectly; there's a severe lack of depth to the itemization of things and combat (as far as I can see, all I can do to improve outside of getting bigger numbers is learning to shoot and dodge better) that I really do not like, but it's oddly compelling enough to still get me to play, and the worldbuilding is actually pretty drat good. Really hoping they decide to add other mechanics down the line, like ammo types, upgrade paths (Dark Souls, yes, but also stuff like STALKER letting you tweak guns into a certain archetype), and maybe grenades or something.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
there's a grenade launcher mod I think

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
For Undying King I just used Breath of the Desert and Spitfire. Worked just fine. Beat the game earlier today, and I think I'll say that Scar and Singe is the worst boss fight I experienced, mostly because the adds didn't drop ammo at all and you spend the entire fight on fire.

Hunting Rifle is the best weapon in the game. Btw, the fireball/grenade mod is amazing because it's burn dot actually stacks.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
A user on the steam discussions figured out how to check the "rolls" of a player's world from the save file:

Kintaro posted:

You can see what boss/items you rolled in the save-file.
Just open it with Notepad++ and search for "boss" AND/OR "miniboss".

C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Remnant\Saved\SaveGames
"save_0.sav" for example

You will come to a "full line" dedicated to the "questline" including item-drops and world-bosses/dungeon-bosses.

Procedure is: reroll the world -> go out of this specific menu -> save-file will be written -> check your rolls -> proceed or roll again until you find the bosses/dungeon-bosses you want to play against

Just for example what you will see:

#1 Ring HeartSeeker drop
/Game/World_City/Quests/Quest_Event_HeartSeeker/Quest_Event_HeartSeeker.Quest_Event_HeartSeeker

#2 Amulet Gunslinger Charm drop
/Game/World_City/Quests/Quest_Event_GunslingersCharm/Quest_Event_GunslingersCharm.Quest_Event_GunslingersCharm

#3 Ent as world boss
/Game/World_City/Quests/Quest_Boss_RootEnt/Quest_Boss_RootEnt.Quest_Boss_RootEnt

#4 Stormcaller Dungeon-Boss
/Game/World_Jungle/Quests/Quest_Miniboss_StormCaller/Quest_MiniBoss_StormCaller.Quest_MiniBoss_StormCaller

I verified one save-file roll with a quick playthrough. 100% accurate if you know how to read it. Some bosses are sadly "cryptic" since the devs did not care about consistent names.

For example "Gorefist" is "Quest_MiniBoss_RootBrute" and "Shroud" is also something else.

Big L
Oct 30, 2005

Fedora Emelianenko
So... my game crashed just as I killed Singe and I didn't seem to get any loot from it. When I started the game again, the zone was cleared (except for the regular loot on the ground).

Am I out of luck or is there a way to recover missed items?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you'll have to get it next time you see them. sucks that it happened to you

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
you can keep joining public games and hope they're at singed, or reroll campaign and speedrun to it

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

I really like how even with no method of talking to randos you can still get a point across.

Two people joined my game, a good time was had by all; but at one point when we reached a big checkpoint one of them glitched out and couldn't actually use it, locking me and the other guy out as well.

So without a word between us, we turned and killed the glitched guy. Turns out reviving him wouldn't fix it.

So we killed the glitched guy again, and this time he let himself die the second he dropped just so we could hit the checkpoint and bring him back in.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

How is this game solo? It looks cool, but my usual co-op buddy is on the fence about it. I've had fun going solo in games like Borderlands and Diablo, if that helps.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
It's a lot harder solo but I've yet to see anything that's absolutely impossible. Except an Enchanter Mangler, I just rerolled that. gently caress that

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Some bosses are much easier solo imo

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
I think the game is a lot easier solo, provided you have an easy way of killing the adds (AR, SMG) Or you can just use Rattle Weed and plow your way through the game.

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
I had relatively few problems solo but as someone mentioned earlier enchanter mangler was absurdly annoying solo because if you got staggered once you'd usually just get stun locked by adds. But if you're used to games like this it's not bad solo.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
There's something about three people mindlessly gunning their way through Rhom that really tickles me. It's so fun.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
It never ceases to amuse me how versatile shooting in a direction and a series of teabags can communicate so much. I managed to tell two guys to split up so we could cover all three hallways just by shooting in the direction of one guy, shooting the hallway, and teabagging once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Rhom has an incredible aesthetic and conveniently also has all of my favorite weapons. A beam rifle, three round burst rifle, semi auto rifle, and shotgun pistol, all amazing, with sick nasty animations.