Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Too much, IMO. Music with sex samples is almost always super awkward to listen to anywhere other humans are.

Whaddabout Digital Underground - Freaks of the Industry though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Yeah I liked it too -- good 80s/90s industrial vibe, and great use of the samples.
can't say that was intentional but if it's true then that's quite appropriate :pram:

thanks y'all

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Splinter posted:

Whaddabout Digital Underground - Freaks of the Industry though?

Probably the exception that proves the rule. Can't think of another one.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747

MrSargent posted:

Probably the exception that proves the rule. Can't think of another one.

https://synthgoons.bandcamp.com/track/flipperwaldt-just-for-your-body

Fuckin' Puppy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQfwk2ws5l4

Also maybe Tom Bailey's Industry and Seduction

That's just off the top of Mr. Dick's head. There are a bunch, pretty sure there's an entire subgenre of acid dedicated to it.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Rather conveniently timed, all Reverb.com's drum sample libraries are currently free on the website: https://reverb.com/software/samples-and-loops/reverb/3514-reverb-drum-machines-the-complete-collection

I haven't taken a listen yet, but there they are, 1.4 gigs of WAVs.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Any good synth tutorials out there? I've watched the series Reverb did (Justin DELAY, on Reverb, talking about synths... Perfect) but I'd like more in depth stuff on both basics and some babby-learns-sound-design type stuff.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

a mysterious cloak posted:

Any good synth tutorials out there? I've watched the series Reverb did (Justin DELAY, on Reverb, talking about synths... Perfect) but I'd like more in depth stuff on both basics and some babby-learns-sound-design type stuff.

Coursera has some pretty good free "taster" courses from Berklee College. They're not full-on university-level, but are taught by real profs, and are way more in-depth than the average YouTube video.

This one looks like it might be pretty close to what you're looking for:

https://www.coursera.org/learn/music-synthesizer

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Thinking about finally plunking down some cash on a fuller sized synth with keys, all my gear now is tiny and I have an old cheap midi keyboard that sucks. Have had it in my head to grab a minilogue or a mininova for a while now.

Pros for the minilogue in my mind are the true analogue nature and tweak ability of the sounds. I have a ton of fun fiddling with knobs while a pattern plays, or seeing what kinds of sounds and moods I can get out of my volca keys. Also love the look of the hardware there.

The mininova has a vocoder though! And I’m still admittedly a novice when it comes to actually playing music so being able to just key into a sound might be a benefit. Also it’s cheaper.

Also, as I’m expanding my hardware I’m trying to fill in key areas. Now I want something with decent keys. My girlfriend plays piano and I plan on learning to play for real instead of just know a handful of chords and I think a nice keyboard would help transition between the two.

Are there any other things in that price range I should be looking at? Should I just get a solid midi keyboard and plug it into my volca?

For reference I have the volca keys + beats, and an OP-1 and am just a hobbyist. I like dumb synthwave poo poo and kate bush and wolf parade, those are the kinds of sounds I want to imitate and branch off from.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
Just a warning: avoid ordering a x0xb0x from qjworkshop on ebay in Hong Kong. I ordered this version and mentioned it at least three times to make sure there were no mix-ups (said he'd give me the wood ears for free - normally $30 which are only available with black case)

What I received:

He finally sends the right enclosure and knobs and it is a black one with plain end caps and extra end caps with the wood loosely in the case banging around so there is damage to the wood - most of it is hidden on the bottom but still pretty stupid. Screws were stripped, but I removed the wood and will glue/epoxy them to the end caps that actually fit. He sent buttons but not the right colors when I also asked for those (he sent black, red, blue and yellow).

It works and is pretty fun and the mods do make the envelope a lot more expressive, but conveniently for him, by the time I got the right case (but still dealing with problems) it is past the 60 days for leaving feedback. He was nice, and seemed really helpful, but would then just send you whatever and take forever to do it. Someone else said he sent them a silver SID box when they ordered black. Most x0xb0x models I have seen don't look that cool and have never made me want to get one, but i think the black with wood with red and grey buttons looks pretty good - partly in that it is not trying to look like a 303 in a big bulky box.

/rant

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I guess it depends on the sound you're looking for. The minilogue is a nice synth, but its sonic palette and polyphony is a bit limited. However it's very knobby and therefore very direct in editing sounds. The mininova has a very high bang/buck ratio in terms of the engine it offers, but give the ultranova a look too, since it provides better editing capability.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Stan Taylor posted:

Thinking about finally plunking down some cash on a fuller sized synth with keys, all my gear now is tiny and I have an old cheap midi keyboard that sucks. Have had it in my head to grab a minilogue or a mininova for a while now.

Pros for the minilogue in my mind are the true analogue nature and tweak ability of the sounds. I have a ton of fun fiddling with knobs while a pattern plays, or seeing what kinds of sounds and moods I can get out of my volca keys. Also love the look of the hardware there.

The mininova has a vocoder though! And I’m still admittedly a novice when it comes to actually playing music so being able to just key into a sound might be a benefit. Also it’s cheaper.

Also, as I’m expanding my hardware I’m trying to fill in key areas. Now I want something with decent keys. My girlfriend plays piano and I plan on learning to play for real instead of just know a handful of chords and I think a nice keyboard would help transition between the two.

Are there any other things in that price range I should be looking at? Should I just get a solid midi keyboard and plug it into my volca?

For reference I have the volca keys + beats, and an OP-1 and am just a hobbyist. I like dumb synthwave poo poo and kate bush and wolf parade, those are the kinds of sounds I want to imitate and branch off from.

If you're trying to actually learn piano, then you definitely want a full-sized keyboard (or electric piano) with weighted keys and pedals. I'd probably do that and plug it into your existing synths. If you got an electric piano then your girlfriend could use it too.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

If you're trying to actually learn piano, then you definitely want a full-sized keyboard (or electric piano) with weighted keys and pedals. I'd probably do that and plug it into your existing synths. If you got an electric piano then your girlfriend could use it too.

We have an upright acoustic piano in the house already, or else yeah I’d be looking for something more authentic feeling.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
The minilogue and mininova have pretty tiny keybeds, and they felt pretty cheap at the store. If you're just going to control them via midi/ usb or something, not a big deal. Not sure the route you're going. You can get full size 88 key midi controllers if you want, just be aware they take up a lot of space. If you're iffy on the space, I'd recommend against. They are just so huge.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Used Roland Sh-201s regularly turn up for under $200.

Knobby, programmable arpeggiator, full sized unweighted keys, no aftertouch. Tends to sound a little trashy but that's part of its charm. Pretty simple, but totally fine for a beginner.

Pick between a good keybed or a fun synth because you won't get both without dropping beaucoup bucks.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Oh man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPxtKMZpOhM

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Same youtuber has a very pretty demo of a Behringer modular synth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOWA5R9LYXY

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Coursera has some pretty good free "taster" courses from Berklee College. They're not full-on university-level, but are taught by real profs, and are way more in-depth than the average YouTube video.

This one looks like it might be pretty close to what you're looking for:

https://www.coursera.org/learn/music-synthesizer

Cool, I went ahead and signed up to audit the course. Thanks!

Side benefit: "Yeah, I took some courses at Berklee... :smug: "

edit: I've been doing a lot of reading/listening in learning synth stuff, and I think I wandered too far afield. Just listen to the first track a minute or two.

https://gnawtheirtongues.bandcamp.com/album/all-the-dread-magnificence-of-perversity

:stonklol:

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 28, 2019

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

edit: I've been doing a lot of reading/listening in learning synth stuff, and I think I wandered too far afield. Just listen to the first track a minute or two.

https://gnawtheirtongues.bandcamp.com/album/all-the-dread-magnificence-of-perversity

Now that is my jam. :neckbeard:

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

I only have three of their albums, but I like Gnaw Their Tongues. I think they worked with The Body on one of their albums. The label Crucial Blast specializes in this sort of thing.

On a completely unrelated note, I fell victim to GAS today.... I was in a local music store a few days ago to buy a keyboard stand, and they had an Arturia Minibrute 2 used for $500.. so I went in today and bought it. Does anyone else have one of these things, and if so, do you have any advice? I've been playing with it a bit, and I think it's pretty cool so far. Ideally, I'd like to use it to make a track for Bonerjams 3, but I'm still pretty clueless on how to actually make songs with hardware synths.

im_sorry fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Aug 30, 2019

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

im_sorry posted:

I only have three of their albums, but I like Gnaw Their Tongues. I think they worked with The Body on one of their albums. The label Crucial Blast specializes in this sort of thing.

On a completely unrelated note, I fell victim to GAS today.... I was in a local music store a few days ago to buy a keyboard stand, and they had an Arturia Minibrute 2 used for $500.. so I went in today and bought it. Does anyone else have one of these things, and if so, do you have any advice? I've been playing with it a bit, and I think it's pretty cool so far. Ideally, I'd like to use it to make a track for Bonerjams 3, but I'm still pretty clueless on how to actually make songs with hardware synths.
If this is your first tussle and rustle with an Arturia analog synth, I recommend focusing on the Brute Factor control. Not because that's the only thing the MiniBrute 2 can do, but because it's a fun starting point. Also, make sure to make use of the patchbay (you do have cables, don't you? If not, get some cables). Did you get the manual of dope sheets (I think it's called the Arturia MiniBrute 2 Cookbook) with your synth?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
speaking of GAS, I just put in a preorder for the Behringer RD-8 (808 clone), hopefully it doesn’t take 3 months to ship like my VC-340 did

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

minidracula posted:

If this is your first tussle and rustle with an Arturia analog synth, I recommend focusing on the Brute Factor control. Not because that's the only thing the MiniBrute 2 can do, but because it's a fun starting point. Also, make sure to make use of the patchbay (you do have cables, don't you? If not, get some cables). Did you get the manual of dope sheets (I think it's called the Arturia MiniBrute 2 Cookbook) with your synth?

I got 8 patch cables with the unit, as well as the cookbook - I suspect that it was purchased for a recent folk festival here to replace a broken or lost Minibrute 2 and then returned to the store after the festival (they had a bunch of keyboard stands for, like, $10 for this reason). I still need to actually read the manual, but I've already made some cool Gnaw Their Tongues type sounds with it. I'm finding it much easier to use than my Microkorg, as with the Microkorg, you had to go through all these menu settings to edit patches, whereas with the Minibrute 2, it has a knob for most settings.

I really need to figure out a workflow for using hardware synths... usually, when I'm making music, I just edit the notes directly in the DAW, and abuse the hell out of copy/paste, but this doesn't work so well with a 4 track recorder and hardware synths.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

im_sorry posted:

I got 8 patch cables with the unit, as well as the cookbook - I suspect that it was purchased for a recent folk festival here to replace a broken or lost Minibrute 2 and then returned to the store after the festival (they had a bunch of keyboard stands for, like, $10 for this reason). I still need to actually read the manual, but I've already made some cool Gnaw Their Tongues type sounds with it. I'm finding it much easier to use than my Microkorg, as with the Microkorg, you had to go through all these menu settings to edit patches, whereas with the Minibrute 2, it has a knob for most settings.

I really need to figure out a workflow for using hardware synths... usually, when I'm making music, I just edit the notes directly in the DAW, and abuse the hell out of copy/paste, but this doesn't work so well with a 4 track recorder and hardware synths.

Use it as an outboard device from your DAW, sending notes from a MIDI track and looping the audio back through the computer via an audio interface. That way you can still edit the notes to your liking. You just have to bounce to audio when you're done with a particular track. If you keep the MIDI note track and make a patch sheet for how the synth was set up, then you can always come back and edit/re-record if you need to.

I think it *should* be possible to set it up to loop the MIDI from the keys through your DAW as you play.

You can also abuse the hell out of copy/paste with the recorded audio.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

After much time in GIMP I've come up with a WSG faceplate with a They Live theme. It's a little bigger than Ray's faceplate, sized for a project box I bought with an aluminum plate included. I'm still making the stencils for the box it will go in but not done yet. Any other mods I should consider than those on the MFOS instructions? I have more room on the case even with the speaker laid in.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

VoodooXT posted:

Now that is my jam. :neckbeard:

im_sorry posted:

It kind of turned me off at first, but I've listened to parts of it almost every day, trying to hear the layers and such. Unsettling and caustic, but interesting. I also heard Deathpile's GR album which was pretty impressive.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Mr. Dick would like to remind all the BonerJammers and LadybonerJammers to WORK ON THEIR TRACKS.

and also to read theory, and think about putting together an accompanying 'zine.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
What’s the cutoff date for BonerJamz Next?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

VoodooXT posted:

What’s the cutoff date for BonerJamz Next?

Sept 30

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
First week's progress on the jam. One hot minute of drums and samples. Battery 4 is, after an evening's learning curve, really good for this, if you have a copy of komplete.

NWS NMS

https://soundcloud.com/rid_labs/trash-to-fasc

Who's doing the mastering and setting up the bandcamp page for this jam?

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3
Cannot wait for my new weird gear. Straight outta Rostov-on-Don in the Russian Federation, from Lefty's Sound Lab, it's this weird poo poo!

https://reverb.com/item/14438156-king-drone-analog-drone-and-noise-synth-with-lp-hp-filter

and

https://reverb.com/item/12605659-armagedrone-analog-drone-synthesizer

I can see doing real cool tape loop shenanigans through the tascam 414. Textures and drones forever!

What a weird internet world we live in.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
huh, got an email that my RD-8 should be getting in stock and shipping out sometime in the next week

I had just assumed, when the preorder came online on sweetwater, that it’d ship out 3 months later like my VC-340 did

I guess this means Uli’s finally getting a handle on those production delays now, and maybe they’ll be shipping stuff closer to the announcement date in the future?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Sweet_Joke_Nectar posted:

Cannot wait for my new weird gear. Straight outta Rostov-on-Don in the Russian Federation, from Lefty's Sound Lab, it's this weird poo poo!

https://reverb.com/item/14438156-king-drone-analog-drone-and-noise-synth-with-lp-hp-filter

and

https://reverb.com/item/12605659-armagedrone-analog-drone-synthesizer

I can see doing real cool tape loop shenanigans through the tascam 414. Textures and drones forever!

What a weird internet world we live in.

Those are pretty cool. I was watching the video for each and I had to explain what they were to a couple of people. I don't think they ever understood what they were for.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Mr. Dick's gear agnostic rules of patching:

1: If you can't figure out what a modulator is doing, map it to your audible oscillator's pitch.

2: Turn the amount knob up, then back it down. Don't be afraid to make things subtle, that 0-10% throw range is where a lot of settings should end up.*

3: If you find your self asking "what envelope setting do I need?", the answer is as fast as you can get it without clicking.

4: When a patch starts to sound -really- good, save it, then tweak it more.

*For subractive synths, this applies to the filter. There are sounds other than max resonance acid bass.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
I grabbed a Rytm - thanks for the assist guys.

Loving the scenes!

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Yo the perf macro stuff is the poo poo and super fun to make and use

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

Startyde posted:

Yo the perf macro stuff is the poo poo and super fun to make and use

i really like that if you switch page while holding one, it basically latches - cool

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Roland just released a new groovebox and for some reason i am really excited:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNf-Ne8nHYU

There's also a tiny version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpfau6rE9is

As someone who doesn't like tooling around with DAWs I am probably going to get one to see if it can finally unseat my QY70 :allears:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Also an improved, not limited-edition, Boutique JUNO that still only gets 4 voices? Apparently demand for the original JU06 has far outstripped the other two launch boutiques. I personally always meant to pick up the JX03 when it was selling for cheap. Last I checked earlier this year they’d stopped producing it and used prices were as high as new when it first launched.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
BoBeats got his hands on the Korg NTS-1. It's already up for preorder for $99. I think even as a stand alone effects processor this might be worthwhile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BxYRFYHxgc

He's also had some time to play with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN4Fan-eMXk

And this.. $1200 for full, and I think $700 for the desktop version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0Xx45aUz9k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Also an improved, not limited-edition, Boutique JUNO that still only gets 4 voices? Apparently demand for the original JU06 has far outstripped the other two launch boutiques. I personally always meant to pick up the JX03 when it was selling for cheap. Last I checked earlier this year they’d stopped producing it and used prices were as high as new when it first launched.

Yeah... they're doing a hybrid of the JUNO-60 and JUNO-106. They're probably keeping the voice count low so it doesn't step on the toes of the System-8.