Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Youtube channel with 225k subscribers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhqE6jLZm14

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I am currently coding the physics refactor.

a) ... is a common phrase spoken or written by actual developers
b) ... is some bullshit that can impress an idiot

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

AbstractNapper posted:

I am currently coding the physics refactor.

a) ... is a common phrase spoken or written by actual developers
b) ... is some bullshit that can impress an idiot

They miss the followups like 'Shouldn't the physics engine be locked down by now?' and 'So, that netcode. Who's working on that troublesome little tinker?'.

As it is, you get people who believe that hearsay is 'proof', and point to the solid entrant that Chris had in the world of 'film direction'.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

…also:
“What framework are they refactoring to?” and “Do you even know what ‘refactoring’ means?”

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...
Heh. I will never understand all these fuddy-duddy whiners who think that they are entitled to the things they've purchased. But what should I expect from Lowtax's paypigs?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hey, if it's a donation, why am I being charged extra VAT as if it's a cross-country purchase? Why?

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

He is absolutely correct. They are entitled to nothing. They are so stupid they gave away $1000's without out any contract/legal obligation/actionable legal recourse.

In fact they are so incredibly stupid they "donated" money to a for profit corporation not even a nonprofit organization so they can't even claim the deduction on their taxes.

They are so stupid they can't claim it as a capital loss on their taxes.

They are so insanely stupid that once the company goes into receivership they will have no standing as a creditor. So all of the vendors and contractors that did business with CIG will in turn receive what little is left of their "donations" with ZERO recourse on their part.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Our thousands of goon alt accounts are being tracked :ohdear:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Scruffpuff posted:

I also loved those relatively simple power settings that had so much impact on the game. There was a weakness if I remember, there was a miscalculation in balance where you could always charge your shield to max by putting full power into weapons then shunting the power directly to shields once accumulated, which was far faster then putting full power into shields. I'd almost have to put that under "bug" but otherwise managing power settings was so core to the experience. Contrast Star Citizen where those "power levels" are all over the screen, obscure your view, and serve no purpose and never will.
Yeah, it was a rather simple system that nonetheless led to potentially interesting gameplay.

As I recall, one of the early X-wing missions is the player doing solo recon in an A-wing. You're meant to just fly in and scan a couple of imperial ships, then get out alive.
Because of how the player is outnumbered and doesn't need to destroy anything, a good way was to only have power to engines and shields. You could fly towards some target at full speed with shields 100% concentrated forward, distribute the shields evenly once you were flying through the enemy group, then flip them to 100% backwards protection as you sped away at full speed.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Casual reminder to the thread that page 6665 is not very far away now so the end is drawing near, goon-ops and REDACTED intel channels should begin prepping for You Need A Platinum Account To View This Message

Parp

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Hav posted:

Imma Film Director!!!1

"Pretty much everything in this high-space war yarn has been swiped from other, better movies." - Salon

"Cinematic sleeping pill." - Washington Post

"The film is painfully boring and funny in the wrong places." - New York Times

"An excruciating no-brainer blend of “Starship Troopers” and “Top Gun,” without the former’s guilty-pleasure concoction of gory F/X and dark humor or Tom Cruise’s megawatt smile." - LA Weekly

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

Heh. I will never understand all these fuddy-duddy whiners who think that they are entitled to the things they've purchased. But what should I expect from Lowtax's paypigs?

Hey, I'm a 'fun shoe' with all the privileges that rank affords.

'paypig' is in the completionist forum pack that includes both season passes.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

:reddit: posted:

I have a sneaking feeling that things are going too well or not well at all.

something is either holding them up this quarter or they made another amazing breakthrough.

Since they are quiet. they probably made another major breakthrough. it would follow the same style they had when procedural planet tech released.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Bofast posted:

Yeah, it was a rather simple system that nonetheless led to potentially interesting gameplay.

As I recall, one of the early X-wing missions is the player doing solo recon in an A-wing. You're meant to just fly in and scan a couple of imperial ships, then get out alive.
Because of how the player is outnumbered and doesn't need to destroy anything, a good way was to only have power to engines and shields. You could fly towards some target at full speed with shields 100% concentrated forward, distribute the shields evenly once you were flying through the enemy group, then flip them to 100% backwards protection as you sped away at full speed.

X-Wing had all the coolest poo poo - the power settings to engine/shield/lasers, the ability to shunt accumulated power directly into adjacent systems, divert power to different places at different percentages, and every one of those choices had an immediately and obvious effect on the gameplay - a difference you could feel. You had to think fast, redirect shields to where the fire was coming from, and constantly shift power everywhere. There was an energy economy in play because any hit you took to shields, and every laser you fired, reduced stored power overall and only time out of combat could replenish it. Plenty of tight moments came from that gameplay, where shields are down and your laser battery is drained and you've got all your power to engines because you're making a run for it, and you're zig-zagging all over space hoping to dodge incoming fire. Or you could dump that power into shields, put them all in the front, and turn around hoping to nail one or two guys. Amazing.

X-Wing came out in 1993.

Star Citizen, a non-game by a non-game developer and a non-director, has none of those above systems at all, nor does it have any systems at all. The space combat is complete dogshit, there is nothing meaningful happening nor will anything meaningful happen. This is despite being led by a self-styled space game mastermind. There is no bigger mistake made by man or god than to let Chris Roberts attempt to make a space game. If he had an ounce of brains he'd be embarrassed by the poo poo he's made. If he had an ounce of integrity he'd apologize and swear to make it right. Instead we have a morally bankrupt thumb lifting people's wallets in an upscale Denny's.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

BigglesSWE posted:

Ofc it’s stupid.

What I meant was that they make somewhat more sense thematically in a game revolving shooting space ships than news-broadcasting or space-farming.

I can see how a competent developer would be able to integrate them in a meaningful way. But a competent developer likely wouldn’t limit their application to a singular ship that cost almost 700 USD in real life money. That’s the MO for a hack and a fraud.

The space-news van was absolutely 100% there to capture the imagination of the ex-Eve crowd that was into star citizen because they'd quit Eve, due to goons or persistent losing. Those guys were a big part of the early star citizen jumpstart (because they could imagine themselves winning this time).

Space-news (aka streaming from the site of huge battles) is a thing that people actually do in Eve, so of course Crobbler made it part of his Vision. A space-news van implies that Big Things will be happening just like in Eve.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I wouldn’t know, since I never touched EVE, but surely the idea of streaming ongoing battles was a player-evolved function and not a developer-led feature?

Someone somewhere wrote “In space no one can hear you scam”; I’m sure by now this has been a thread title?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/Wiborg1978/status/1166060632296308736

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Let me go to the bathroom and check, I'm feeling some rumblings.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

I really hope they include High Fantasy and Noire elements!

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

Star Citizen, a non-game by a non-game developer and a non-director, has none of those above systems at all, nor does it have any systems at all. The space combat is complete dogshit, there is nothing meaningful happening nor will anything meaningful happen. This is despite being led by a self-styled space game mastermind. There is no bigger mistake made by man or god than to let Chris Roberts attempt to make a space game. If he had an ounce of brains he'd be embarrassed by the poo poo he's made. If he had an ounce of integrity he'd apologize and swear to make it right. Instead we have a morally bankrupt thumb lifting people's wallets in an upscale Denny's.

Crobbers did code in an 'afterburner' mechanic in the original wing commander to give the ships a decent top speed, it used fuel at a very high rate so spamming it emptied the tank quickly, but once all the ships fuel was used up and you were practically dead in the water, you could still spam the afterburn key and reach top speed.

The level of loving genius of that guy, it's staggering. :D

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Star Citizen: 'Fun' is not what its design has ever aimed for

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

BigglesSWE posted:

I wouldn’t know, since I never touched EVE, but surely the idea of streaming ongoing battles was a player-evolved function and not a developer-led feature?

It kinda co-evolved, and actually dates back to before live game streaming even existed. People were "reporting" about space battles back when it was just blogs and screenshots.

The devs recruited some players to do it as a sort of volunteer in-house news team, but that side tends to be more RP-lore fluffy. Also the volunteer news team gets to use a special unkillable cloaking ship while being reporters so they can go anywhere and report, but that power means they have to be unconnected to any player group. So they generally aren't as informend about what's really going down, and the independent player news is still a thing.

tl;dr it was organic and has a long history, but none of that matters to Star Citizen because the important part is to make people imagine that Space News! will be a thing

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Did they ever release the ship with the bar tending minigame? Or that farming ship?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

What does your heart tell you

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I had a fun day playing golf and hit some good shots, so I'm feeling energetic

Gonna cook up a nice meal , crack open a bottle of wine

and then put on a movie, how about The Perception

I hear it is a sleeper hit of the year.

Trip report to follow if I don't gouge my eyes out halfway through.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Nyast posted:

Since memory lane is full steam ahead, please do not forget this gem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxxlrKlLO9g

Imagine, this is the Chris supposedly fixing the physics flight model.

How Citizens are not scared at that thought is beyond me. He's clearly incompetent.

He just fundamentally doesn't get the physics. "if you twist the other way, what happens?"

Dude, unless you push off something or use a jet, you can't alter your total momentum. How hard is that to grok?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

an idiot posted:

Pirate Helm I built to pilot the 890 with in VR :)

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/cvdefr/pirate_helm_i_built_to_pilot_the_890_with_in_vr/

BWAHAHAHA

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Blue On Blue posted:

Do a Event Horizon game for the love of god.

All the pieces are there. Alien Isolation and Dead Space.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Colostomy Bag posted:

Do a Event Horizon game for the love of god.

All the pieces are there. Alien Isolation and Dead Space.

Ok first hurdle.

I can't get more than 1mbps on a torrent for the movie, there are only about 4 seeders

That right there should tell you all you need to know.

It will be about 20min to download, so enough time to cook at least

Meanwhile this : https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8350360

Has over 900 seeds

LOL

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

Blue On Blue posted:

I had a fun day playing golf and hit some good shots, so I'm feeling energetic

Gonna cook up a nice meal , crack open a bottle of wine

and then put on a movie, how about The Perception

I hear it is a sleeper hit of the year.

You will literally destroy what was a good day.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Zaphod42 posted:

He just fundamentally doesn't get the physics. "if you twist the other way, what happens?"

Dude, unless you push off something or use a jet, you can't alter your total momentum. How hard is that to grok?

Other people's money, if thrown away with great force, is an adequate propellant.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

star citizen is good now, gently caress you

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The whole 'they will fix the balance/design later' thing literally never pans out. A game team that's uninterested in tweaking their gameplay iteratively in alpha always backburners it later. In my experience what typically happens is a 'balance pass' and then the game gets released. Dreamers defending the current state of a game on that basis are suckers. Citizens are the ne plus ultra of that particular variety of sucker.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1166103157438435328

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Wait, he made a primitive wooden wheel for steering a spaceship in VR, in a tech demo that as far as I know no longer supports VR? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Blue On Blue posted:

Ok first hurdle.

I can't get more than 1mbps on a torrent for the movie, there are only about 4 seeders

That right there should tell you all you need to know.

It will be about 20min to download, so enough time to cook at least

Meanwhile this : https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8350360

Has over 900 seeds

LOL

I feel grief.