Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Bottom Liner posted:

The more you think about it the worst it is. You know the preshow part of the Gringotts queue with the screen characters? What if that were part of the ride and also the longest segment? It’s indescribably bad. My ticket was free and I still want a refund for that.

Doing Hagrids again and they were putting a capacity sign up and closing the line entrance (says 140 mins). Never seen that at a park, Disney let’s you get in line up until closing. Universal still cuts corners like crazy. Butter beer is also $9 now for the regular cold style. Bonkers.

Oh, I forgot!

At Trader Sam's my wife and I met the guy who invented butter beer! I think he owns the patent on the delivery system too.

He had a story about how JKR liked the taste of the first version, but nixed it because it didn't look like beer the entire time you were drinking it. They figured out how to do the foam thing and that fixed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Beachcomber posted:

Oh, I forgot!

At Trader Sam's my wife and I met the guy who invented butter beer! I think he owns the patent on the delivery system too.

He had a story about how JKR liked the taste of the first version, but nixed it because it didn't look like beer the entire time you were drinking it. They figured out how to do the foam thing and that fixed it.

I met one of the cocktail program guys for Takumi-tei by chance at Bitters & Brass. Turns out he’s a local bartender who knows my bartender friends! He gave me the heads up on a Kaiyo Whisky event happening there in October and November.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
We took my in-laws to WDW over the weekend. Hit 3/4 parks -skipped Hollywood Studios as they wouldn't like ANY of the rides there barring Toy Story.

My FIL loved Epcot on Friday. No festival, but he still drank around the world a decent amount with like 4 or 5 beers. Loved the food, loved China and Japan especially. Acted like a little kid when he saw the umbrellas with katana handles. It was great. MIL...thought it was nice, but needed more shade. She also said, "There's nothing to do but drink and eat!" despite riding Soarin', Three Caballeros, going to the aquarium, walking through all of the pavilions...Oh, well. They liked Soarin' a lot at least. Big goofy grins.

We started yesterday at Disney Springs early. They really liked it, but again, complained about lack of shade. But at least the hundred stores had the AC blasting which helped. These people think black pepper is too spicy, but we took them to Cocina Frontera and they both absolutely loved it. My partner and I were so relieved and happy since my MIL is such a picky eater. Cocina Frontera does not get enough love. They loved World of Disney and MIL bought a Mickey tea set. :3:

Magic Kingdom was hit or miss for them. We had the best luck in the world having arrived like two minutes before Festival of Fantasy and getting to see the whole thing with perfectly unobstructed views just in front of city hall. I got to high-five Goofy! They loved the parade. They refused to ride anything more intense than People Mover, so despite having fastpasses for SDMT, they sat it out while my partner and I rode. However, they LOVED Mickey's Philharmagic. I guess they're just suckers for 3D. I, too, love Philharmagic and try to get anyone I can to see it with me. AC, no wait times, and sitting for fifteen minutes combined with a cute movie and five or six great Disney songs. What's not to love? They thought Haunted Mansion was funny. We were all too tired and cranky to stick around for HEA, so we huffed it to Disney Springs for the most satisfying slice of pizza ever at Pizza Ponte. Again, complained about lack of shade. Oh yeah, Lost Princess cone is so loving delicious.

Animal Kingdom day 3. I was shocked and so happy they were up and happy and ready to go for rope drop. We only waited about 45 minutes for FoP. They couldn't stop laughing and smiling and talking about it all day. Got to see giraffes and elephants and the male lion literally yawning in our faces. Tiger cubs AND male silverback gorillas were pressed right up to the glass to escape the heat, so we got some great close up views of them. Of course they were too chicken for Everest, so I was able to single-ride it a couple times in peace.

Overall, I think they had a really nice time and better than I imagined. We all just wish the sun wasn't trying to murder us, but we all survived and I think they may even want to go back again! Sometime in Fall/Winter, though.

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Aug 26, 2019

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Nanigans posted:

Sometime in Fall/Winter, though.

So Christmas till mid Feb is what you're looking at FYI.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Bottom Liner posted:

So Christmas till mid Feb is what you're looking at FYI.

November in Orlando is quite nice. It's usually when we go, but weren't sure this year since we'll have just gone to Japan in October. But now that we know they like Disney, we might pull the trigger.

Hopefully the crowds will still be relatively low in early November for my FIL's birthday, despite Galaxy's Edge opening a couple months before. We really want to take him to Food and Wine.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Nanigans posted:

November in Orlando is quite nice. It's usually when we go, but weren't sure this year since we'll have just gone to Japan in October. But now that we know they like Disney, we might pull the trigger.

Hopefully the crowds will still be relatively low in early November for my FIL's birthday, despite Galaxy's Edge opening a couple months before. We really want to take him to Food and Wine.

In my experience, they aren't bad, but they aren't low. There are few notable "low" times in attendance in WDW anymore, you probably just went during one of the lowest (late summer, school is back, hurricane season, no food and wine) and then there's early January and sometimes late January and early February, depends on when Mardi Gras falls

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Is there an appreciable difference between any of the DVC point rental companies? Toying with that rather than a standard resort, but booking is a whole different thing.

Plan right now is to just use one of the ones that advertise on the Disney sites I enjoy and tell 'em Tom Bricker sent me or whatever.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Boxman posted:

Is there an appreciable difference between any of the DVC point rental companies? Toying with that rather than a standard resort, but booking is a whole different thing.

Plan right now is to just use one of the ones that advertise on the Disney sites I enjoy and tell 'em Tom Bricker sent me or whatever.

I’ve heard good things about David’s Vacation Club. They offer guarantees so you don’t get screwed by someone as easily.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

couldcareless posted:

I hate the Naboo ending because I get it all the time. That said, the spike at the end used to go through the glass. Now it just snaps off. I guess they deemed it too frightening
Unless something changed since last Monday, it absolutely still breaks through the glass.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I want to live on the tree table

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
There are multiple variations within the different scenes.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Skirmish_over_Naboo_(Galactic_Civil_War)

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Nottherealaborn posted:

I’ve heard good things about David’s Vacation Club. They offer guarantees so you don’t get screwed by someone as easily.

I used David's before we bought into DVC. No complaints at all.

couldcareless posted:

In my experience, they aren't bad, but they aren't low. There are few notable "low" times in attendance in WDW anymore, you probably just went during one of the lowest (late summer, school is back, hurricane season, no food and wine) and then there's early January and sometimes late January and early February, depends on when Mardi Gras falls

So I could write a ton about crowd levels and WDW, but I'll try to keep it brief.

Crowd levels aren't everything at WDW. I've had similar experiences with crowd level "4" days, and crowd level "9" days. The last couple years WDW has been adjusting park hours and staffing according to crowd levels. For example, I've waited 30 minutes on a 4 day and a 9 day for Big Thunder Mountain before. They take capacity and staff out of rides during slower times. They might only run one side of BTM and 2 trains if crowd levels are low. If they had both sides open and all 5 trains running at once it'd be a walk on, but they don't do that. No idea why they don't, I blame a bean counter somewhere. Less time in line waiting to ride is more time I'm out there possibly spending money.

They also adjust the hours. I like longer hours at WDW, so that's something I like to consider. During the "slower" times, MK might only be open 11 hours (9am to 8pm) , but during busier times it could be open 16 hours or more (8am to 12am). I get more done with longer park hours, and I like to take a mid day siesta when possible. I can't siesta when MK closes at 8PM.

I will say it's easier to move around, get something to eat, browse the shops, etc when crowd levels are low. That's a plus. We went during Texas spring break a couple years ago and it was body to body and miserable trying to get around or get a QS meal.

Bottom line, I like to visit WDW when the weather is good. It's my first consideration now. The parks are always busy lately. People don't care about taking their kids out of school for a week. Mid to late Feb is probably my favorite time though. Weather is great, hours are decent, not many rides down for refurb (which usually happens in Jan). Summer even through mid October is just freaking Hot. I can handle WDW when it's hot, I just prefer not to. Mid to Late Feb can be a little busy, depending on when Mardi Gras is, and some northern states have a winter break. Mardi Gras week is fun, half of Louisiana goes to WDW. Geaux Tigers. Went early October last year, and half of Tenn and Kentucky were there. They have a week long fall break around that time. It was busier than expected and still really hot.

I've heard though the 2 weeks before thanksgiving are a pretty good time to visit though.

I could be wrong about a few things, and BBS or another cast member might correct me, but this is my observation of things.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

Beachcomber posted:

What is cheetah hunt?

Also, what are the rumors about Brazil?

I've heard from a bunch of people Brazil is still being built, it's just the fact that our government loving sucks right now that made them decide not to announce it. Note how vague the Mary Poppins announcement was- almost like they don't have much to show because it's not ready yet to be announced.

Anyway, I'm scared about Spaceship Earth like everyone else. And though I don't get as angry as some people, I do think the current Disney administration doesn't really give two shits about what made the parks so iconic and timeless (note I didn't say great, as I believe there are quite a few recent rides and additions that are great- I myself had an incredible Smuggler's Run experience this Saturday, where everyone just yelled at each other and we laughed and screamed at every single thing, which only made it better).

I don't know. Whenever I hear Chapek bust out that 'more Disney, more timeless' bullcrap or talk about how they're shoving IP into every corner of the parks because 'if other people had our IP they'd be doing the same thing too', I feel like we're losing the chance at future Haunted Mansions or Pirates of the Caribbean. This article by the LA Times really puts my feelings into perspective. It's not like the theme parks were never ads for the movies, even back in Walt's time, but there was a distinct desire to be more than just that.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

skipdogg posted:

I used David's before we bought into DVC. No complaints at all.

So I could write a ton about crowd levels and WDW, but I'll try to keep it brief.

Crowd levels aren't everything at WDW. I've had similar experiences with crowd level "4" days, and crowd level "9" days. The last couple years WDW has been adjusting park hours and staffing according to crowd levels. For example, I've waited 30 minutes on a 4 day and a 9 day for Big Thunder Mountain before. They take capacity and staff out of rides during slower times. They might only run one side of BTM and 2 trains if crowd levels are low. If they had both sides open and all 5 trains running at once it'd be a walk on, but they don't do that. No idea why they don't, I blame a bean counter somewhere. Less time in line waiting to ride is more time I'm out there possibly spending money.

They also adjust the hours. I like longer hours at WDW, so that's something I like to consider. During the "slower" times, MK might only be open 11 hours (9am to 8pm) , but during busier times it could be open 16 hours or more (8am to 12am). I get more done with longer park hours, and I like to take a mid day siesta when possible. I can't siesta when MK closes at 8PM.

I will say it's easier to move around, get something to eat, browse the shops, etc when crowd levels are low. That's a plus. We went during Texas spring break a couple years ago and it was body to body and miserable trying to get around or get a QS meal.

Bottom line, I like to visit WDW when the weather is good. It's my first consideration now. The parks are always busy lately. People don't care about taking their kids out of school for a week. Mid to late Feb is probably my favorite time though. Weather is great, hours are decent, not many rides down for refurb (which usually happens in Jan). Summer even through mid October is just freaking Hot. I can handle WDW when it's hot, I just prefer not to. Mid to Late Feb can be a little busy, depending on when Mardi Gras is, and some northern states have a winter break. Mardi Gras week is fun, half of Louisiana goes to WDW. Geaux Tigers. Went early October last year, and half of Tenn and Kentucky were there. They have a week long fall break around that time. It was busier than expected and still really hot.

I've heard though the 2 weeks before thanksgiving are a pretty good time to visit though.

I could be wrong about a few things, and BBS or another cast member might correct me, but this is my observation of things.

The reduced staffing this has definitely been a concern recently, but there's really no way to reliably predict it. As a result, you're better just working based entirely on what you do know: when people are most and least likely to be visiting the parks. All unknown variables can get tossed to the wind and hope for the best.

RedTeam
Feb 5, 2011

SHAZAM!
Thinking about it, I think all the things I like most about the parks are the things that are the least explicity 'Disney' in terms of recognisable characters from films. I say this as an adult man though, so who the gently caress cares what I have to say about a children's theme park.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

stratofarius posted:

I've heard from a bunch of people Brazil is still being built, it's just the fact that our government loving sucks right now that made them decide not to announce it. Note how vague the Mary Poppins announcement was- almost like they don't have much to show because it's not ready yet to be announced.

Anyway, I'm scared about Spaceship Earth like everyone else. And though I don't get as angry as some people, I do think the current Disney administration doesn't really give two shits about what made the parks so iconic and timeless (note I didn't say great, as I believe there are quite a few recent rides and additions that are great- I myself had an incredible Smuggler's Run experience this Saturday, where everyone just yelled at each other and we laughed and screamed at every single thing, which only made it better).

I don't know. Whenever I hear Chapek bust out that 'more Disney, more timeless' bullcrap or talk about how they're shoving IP into every corner of the parks because 'if other people had our IP they'd be doing the same thing too', I feel like we're losing the chance at future Haunted Mansions or Pirates of the Caribbean. This article by the LA Times really puts my feelings into perspective. It's not like the theme parks were never ads for the movies, even back in Walt's time, but there was a distinct desire to be more than just that.

I feel the same way. I’m perfectly fine with IP rides, but some of the best of DW is non-IP, but the current exec team seems to be focusing primarily on all IP. Some bean counter probably realized that non-IP attractions are hit or miss, while IP reliably draws crowds even if the attraction turns out to be poo poo.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

RedTeam posted:

Thinking about it, I think all the things I like most about the parks are the things that are the least explicity 'Disney' in terms of recognisable characters from films. I say this as an adult man though, so who the gently caress cares what I have to say about a children's theme park.

lol a children's theme park. it costs thousands of dollars to go to it, it's not a "children's theme park"

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

RedTeam posted:

I'm probably the last person who'd quote Walt Disney, but he explicitly built it as a place adults could go with their kids. So it ain't just for kids, Mom!

RedTeam
Feb 5, 2011

SHAZAM!
I say that as someone who has always liked going to the parks. I'm going to Paris in like, three weeks. But I see my enjoyment as incidental compared to some kid going into a state of mania after seeing an animatronic Elsa. Idk that seems more core to the business than me watching enchanted tiki room ironically.

brunch with yr parents
Jan 6, 2013

SWEATBOX SYMPHONY

Beachcomber posted:

Aloha!

Trader Sam's (the real one) is at least twice as big as Orlando, as well as being better in all other ways. There is no waiting list and no buzzers, but we've never had to wait very long. Weekdays are a mixed bag, but you stand a very good chance of just being able to walk in and get one.

If you don't have kids, sit at the bar, and if Malek is working ask him to make an Old Kungaloosh.

Edit:
You'd better get a Hawaiian cheeseburger, because they're loving amazing.

Edit 2: I guess it's technically smaller so I don't know wtf. The bar is much longer and that counts.

Welp, I’m day drunk and have a limited edition gold piranha mug to add to the collection. The bar is definitely bigger than WDW, but the whole space is, I think, smaller. They are also missing the tiki God on the wall, but instead enlisted my daughter to do part of the uh-oah shenanigans. Video on request.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

brunch with yr parents posted:

Welp, I’m day drunk and have a limited edition gold piranha mug to add to the collection. The bar is definitely bigger than WDW, but the whole space is, I think, smaller. They are also missing the tiki God on the wall, but instead enlisted my daughter to do part of the uh-oah shenanigans. Video on request.

Request.

Rather than 'missing' the tiki goddess on the wall, Orlando has it as a lame and unnecessary addition.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Apparently a transformer just blew at MK. Bunch of poo poo lost power.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah that storm was gnarly.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

chitoryu12 posted:

Apparently a transformer just blew at MK. Bunch of poo poo lost power.

jesus universal is really investing in some weird-rear end marketing for their parks

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

The storm was crazy and scared the poo poo out of me. I lost power about 7:10 or so, still hasn’t been back on. I live right around the corner from the MK

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Someone in my agency posted a video of a huge bolt of lightning right over the new Gran Destino Tower.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Disney Springs has lost power as well.

Logic Probed
Feb 26, 2011

Having a normal one since 2016

Braksgirl posted:

Someone in my agency posted a video of a huge bolt of lightning right over the new Gran Destino Tower.

Tower of Terror part 2? :v:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I remember going to Magic Kingdom once years ago and a hydraulic pump somewhere underground blew and knocked out the pressure to half the park, bringing most rides to a halt. :rip:

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I was at Disneyland in July during the second earthquake that hit LA in the evening

They dumped every ride. It was cool to see that many people just hanging out in Carsland at night.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

There's a gotdamn hurricane headed for Florida this weekend and it's ruining all my good plans.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Press is getting to walk through HS RotR right now and apparently a video will be dropping later today.

Also apparently resort QS will open at loving 2:30am for breakfast on Thurs for GE opening.

E: This is a goddamn photograph, not an illustration

Tim Whatley fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 27, 2019

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Tim Whatley posted:

Press is getting to walk through HS RotR right now and apparently a video will be dropping later today.

Also apparently resort QS will open at loving 2:30am for breakfast on Thurs for GE opening.

:eyepop:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Tim Whatley posted:

Is that hangar to scale? I remember them saying the AT-ATs are.

Tempest815
Oct 7, 2006

FALCON PUNCH!!

Jose Oquendo posted:

Is that hangar to scale? I remember them saying the AT-ATs are.

No I read that its a lot of forced perspective in the hangar scene. The stormtroopers are to scale but the TIE fighter is scaled down for instance. It's still a massive hangar apparently but it's not full scale.

The AT-ATs are actually full size though but that's during the ride. Apparently the hangar is part of the preshow or the queue. Which is insane.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

The hangar is roughly the size of a high school gynasium, so a little bit of both.

Also the ride vehicle goes under one of the AT-ATs (!)

The Star Wars theme plays as you enter the ship that takes you to space as well before "landing" at the hangar and people cried. This ride is even more impressive as there's a 10-20 foot drop in the trackless vehicle.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That article about the paid off journalist had a description of the ride. You basically walk through the majority of it as you’re a prisoner taken by the FO and then got on a vehicle half way through

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Carlye Wisel has described the ride on a few podcasts from when she saw ~2/3 of it back in Feb.

It sounds *amazing*

Personal tragedy:
I thought I was moving to California so i bought a Disneyland AP when i was there for the 4th. Now Im moving to Toronto for an intense job that doesnt allow much vacation (aside from more or less the whole of August off).................. sooooooo yeaaahhhhh

I guess I'll try to make it to DLR again before my AP expires but goddammit. WDW is so much closer to Toronto.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Addendum to saberchat if anyone cares, because I just discovered it:

The blade from the Savi’s custom sabers IS removable, and way easier than the D23 Rey saber. It’s literally a twist and pull. And, unlike the Rey saber, the hilt will make an electric crackling sound if you flip the ignition switch without the blade attached. It’s a super neat little detail. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

BlueBayou posted:

Carlye Wisel has described the ride on a few podcasts from when she saw ~2/3 of it back in Feb.

It sounds *amazing*

Personal tragedy:
I thought I was moving to California so i bought a Disneyland AP when i was there for the 4th. Now Im moving to Toronto for an intense job that doesnt allow much vacation (aside from more or less the whole of August off).................. sooooooo yeaaahhhhh

I guess I'll try to make it to DLR again before my AP expires but goddammit. WDW is so much closer to Toronto.

If it makes you feel better, it's a 5-hour plane ride or a 2.5-hour plane ride. When you're in the air, both last forever. :unsmith: So you won't notice it too much?

I got nine RotR article edit requests today and they all say the exact same thing and all the orders say to "make sure" they don't sound like other sites.

What do I even do :lol: