Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
all the best videogames that are too old to appreciate have been remade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Mario 64 sucks poo poo my dude

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Lotta hate for Mario 64 itt.

It's a great game. That's my unpopular opinion and I'm sticking to it!!!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Chomp8645 posted:

Lotta hate for Mario 64 itt.

It's a great game. That's my unpopular opinion and I'm sticking to it!!!

Yeah Mario 64 is good I don't get why it's supposed to be bad.

Goldeneye though yeah, that's a turd and a half

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

I think Sekiro's combat system loving BLOWS.
WHY CAN'T I BE A GIANT DAD
where are all my swords?
WHO ARE YOU TO BLOCK MY SWORDS SIR ?!?!?!
I WANNA SMASSH YOUR GODDAMNNNNN FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE
*loads up Dark Souls and Havel Smashes the gently caress out of EVERYTHING*

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

mario 64 is very mediocre but again I can see being super nostalgic for it if you had a 64 and it was the only game you had for a while when you were 10 or something

i still get the itch to play it occasionally and tried getting the DS remake to play on my 3ds with the analog pad....but the copy I bought was a counterfeit cart that works like 60% of the time

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

food court bailiff posted:

crash bandicoot 2
mario kart 64
crash team racing
mega man legends 1+2
all 3 original THPS games
starfox 64
soul calibur 1
majora’s mask is p good
gran turismo
cool boarders 2 and up
toy story 2 (unpopular opinion: this game is better than the movie)
power stone

I can maybe see how you might be confused if all you ever had was a 64 though

64 had good 3d games too, F-Zero, Aerogauge, Waverace, Blast Corps, 1080, Snowboard Kids

All the Star Wars games (Rogue Squadron I & II, Shadows of the Empire), the Mario Sports games

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Blast Corps was and still is my favourite n64 game

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Blast Corps was and still is my favourite n64 game

Try something else. Time to get moving.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

poisonpill posted:

Name them, you coward

Quake
Quake Team Fortress
Quake CTF
Rocket Arena

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mario 64 was a good proof of concept and a real lovely game, sorry people who only had N64s

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Barudak posted:

Mario 64 was a good proof of concept and a real lovely game, sorry people who only had N64s

Legends tell of half-A press and parallel universes.

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

JollyBoyJohn posted:

all the best videogames that are too old to appreciate have been remade

deus ex remake?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Barudak posted:

No need to apologize, I had fun until I didn’t. The sad truth I knew even then that the console library was itself pretty lackluster.

There was something about the sound produced by an N64 that always felt chilly and hollow. There was just no warmth to the system. Maybe it was because all the sounds were compressed to hell?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Duck and Cover posted:

gently caress this. gently caress these assholes trying to hide behind "politics". Hate is hate, if you make it about politics that doesn't mean you aren't being an offensive rear end in a top hat.

Yeah "censorship" and "i hate politics!!" is the new "it's just a prank!!"

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

poisonpill posted:

Name them, you coward

Half Life was pretty good

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Yeah "censorship" and "i hate politics!!" is the new "it's just a prank!!"

Speaking of which, JoeySalads is running for office. :v:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

64 had good 3d games too, F-Zero, Aerogauge, Waverace, Blast Corps, 1080, Snowboard Kids

All the Star Wars games (Rogue Squadron I & II, Shadows of the Empire), the Mario Sports games

oh yeah for sure, that reinforces the main point I was trying to make, that this “all early 3D games were trash” idea is kinda dumb

just also kinda theorizing why mario 64 is held in such high regard- and I don’t think you can really deny that the hits for the 64 were thin on the ground for a while

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

oh yeah for sure, that reinforces the main point I was trying to make, that this “all early 3D games were trash” idea is kinda dumb

just also kinda theorizing why mario 64 is held in such high regard- and I don’t think you can really deny that the hits for the 64 were thin on the ground for a while

Mario 64 has one of the most detailed character control systems of the entire generation, and it's one of the few platformers (especially of the time, but probably even now) to really put that much effort in. Variable speed running, multiple jump heights, wall jumping, backflips, all just with the joystick and a jump button. Then you get punching and buttstomping with two more buttons, and it's just a fun game to run around in.

As a launch title it was more or less mind blowing, and 21 years later it still is impressive. Shows it was more about the design than the tech.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
The original Metal Gear Solid has aged extremely well and still plays great. I think it's the best game of that era to experience in tyool 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sorry the best game on the original playstation is Jumping Flash, thanks everyone for playing.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SoR Blaze posted:

The original Metal Gear Solid has aged extremely well and still plays great. I think it's the best game of that era to experience in tyool 2019

Close but It's actually MGS VR missions.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Spyro the Dragon is still pretty good I'm fairly sure.

Fuzz1138
Feb 3, 2013

We don't have to dream that we're important. We are.
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga was just okay and the series got continuously worse as it went along.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I still play Destruction derby from time to time.

The racing championship is actually decently challenging, those figure 8 courses are an absolute crapshoot and the effects of the damage seem realistic.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I still play Destruction derby from time to time.

The racing championship is actually decently challenging, those figure 8 courses are an absolute crapshoot and the effects of the damage seem realistic.

Tangentially related: I remember that Flatout was popular, but playing it nowadays I can't figure out why.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It seems like at some point people just realised most car games are basically slight variants of the same poo poo and/or companies stopped bothering to make them. Maybe the licensing got too much?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Bonaventure posted:

unpopular videogame opinion: the only good N64 games were Star Fox 64 and Blast Corps; and possibly something else i didn't play but certainly not Goldeneye that's for sure

counterpoint any game featuring the Backlash can't possibly be good

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Forza perfected every aspect of racing games unless you want a super-realistic racing sim and those cost a lot and are basically Eve Online: Cars Edition. Dirt picked up the rally side.

other videogame related info; it's australia prime time and there is currently a 12k deep queue for wow classic lmao

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The best racing game was Burnout because you could hit your nitro boost and just crash everything, ever. It was a racing game about crashing the gently caress out of everything

Another best racing game was Carmageddon, a racing game about crashing and mass slaughter

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Zzulu posted:

The best racing game was Burnout because you could hit your nitro boost and just crash everything, ever. It was a racing game about crashing the gently caress out of everything

Another best racing game was Carmageddon, a racing game about crashing and mass slaughter

Carmageddon was a pain to get working right but when it did, it was literally the best thing at the time.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

abigserve posted:

Forza perfected every aspect of racing games unless you want a super-realistic racing sim and those cost a lot and are basically Eve Online: Cars Edition. Dirt picked up the rally side.

other videogame related info; it's australia prime time and there is currently a 12k deep queue for wow classic lmao

Forza and Gran Tourismo are cursed by an easy path to monetization. the best versions were for the PS3/360 before the era of micro-transactions ensured that all of the coolest cars would be locked behind a paywall and the game balance would be tweaked to sell premium gems.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

San fransisco Rush was the best racing game ever

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Rutibex posted:

Forza and Gran Tourismo are cursed by an easy path to monetization. the best versions were for the PS3/360 before the era of micro-transactions ensured that all of the coolest cars would be locked behind a paywall and the game balance would be tweaked to sell premium gems.

Forza 4 basically nailed That Kind of Game.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

shadow okumura is quite possibly the worst non-optional boss in a jrpg in 30 years

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

I don't know what that is but my most hated JRPG boss is Nyx from Persona 3. You have to fight through like 20 different forms and when she's nearly dead she charms your party and makes you fully heal her. It's easy to beat if you know it's coming but if you don't then whoops you just wasted a very tedious hour of your time.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

abigserve posted:

Sounds like an accurate classic wow experience to me

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Dross posted:

Sounds like an accurate classic wow experience to me

The WoW team resisted a classic option for years, and instead of making anything that would truly require effort, like a version of classic with QoL improvements, has posted a snarky "not a bug" list.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/wow-classic-not-a-bug-list/175887?linkId=100000007685202

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

shadow okumura is quite possibly the worst non-optional boss in a jrpg in 30 years

How bad compared to the helicopter-thing mid-boss guy in FF13, going straight through underleveled/no grind/as intended? I would compare to last but but honestly the final boss is always sort of optional

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Sodomy Hussein posted:

The WoW team resisted a classic option for years, and instead of making anything that would truly require effort, like a version of classic with QoL improvements, has posted a snarky "not a bug" list.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/wow-classic-not-a-bug-list/175887?linkId=100000007685202

we want classic wow
gently caress you
aw cmon
fine *clicks "git revert", ignores presumably mile long bug list with whatever version they reverted to* gently caress you, pay me

It's pretty obvious they've resisted it for ages though because the modern game has much more monetization ability compared to classic, the mode in which it takes like 6 months to hit max level

Rutibex posted:

Not sure about modern GT games but Forza seems ok about this unless you want to play exotic car collector. FH4, for example, has more cars included in the base game than you could ever reasonably drive and you get a bunch of credits/cars thrown at you for free. I don't disagree with your point, but it could be worse and that alone isn't enough to make space in the market for other racing games imo.