Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Reddit via Borepanda, so very likely stdh.txt, but Person Shares A Conversation With An Aggressive Vegan Who Accused Them Of Appropriation Just Because They Enjoy Tofu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Crakkerjakk posted:

Yeah, it's totally a thing. Any particular thing you can do in your life will always have people who have to be the ones who are doing it hardest and insist everyone else is less than they are.

It sucks, but that's people.

It's nice that we at least have a place like this forum where ridiculous behavior like that is frowned upon.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Vegans vs gluten frees

Which are worse people. Go.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Vegans vs gluten frees

Vegans because they torture their animals by making cats and dogs and fennecs easy vegan diets. The poor animal well be losing all of its hair and be sick constantly snd they blame it on allergies. My friend went gluten free cuz her husband actually had the celiac thing diagnosed last year and other than asking about recipes for certain things some times that was the last i heard of it

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I already want to beat every vegan that feeds their animal a vegan diet to a fine, bloody pulp.

It's like that futurama bit where the vegans taught a lion to eat tofu.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Stravag posted:

Vegans because they torture their animals by making cats and dogs and fennecs easy vegan diets. The poor animal well be losing all of its hair and be sick constantly snd they blame it on allergies. My friend went gluten free cuz her husband actually had the celiac thing diagnosed last year and other than asking about recipes for certain things some times that was the last i heard of it

My daughter appears to have a sensitivity to it. She use to be extremely gassy mixed with bouts of constipation. Ever since she severly restricted her gluten she's farting 90% less and her poop is normal compared to the rabbit pellets she was doing. Dunno I'm not a doctor.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

LingcodKilla posted:

My daughter appears to have a sensitivity to it. She use to be extremely gassy mixed with bouts of constipation. Ever since she severly restricted her gluten she's farting 90% less and her poop is normal compared to the rabbit pellets she was doing. Dunno I'm not a doctor.

Same, she tests negative but similar symptoms and add in vomiting in volumes that are worthy of a horror movie. Also gets a massively distended belly. Doctor refuses to do a invasive test until she's older even though she straight told him it's what she wants.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

We do meat free days three nights a week at my house. Partly philosophical because I read a bunch of Buddhist stuff and was/am interested in limiting suffering and partly because my wife gets migraines and nitrates in meat is a cause of them.

I figure if everyone half assed being vegetarian meat consumption would still drop a ton. So I do my little part. I still love salmon though. I don't think I could ever turn it down.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Swordfish. You will take swordfish from my cold dead fingers

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Melthir posted:

Same, she tests negative but similar symptoms and add in vomiting in volumes that are worthy of a horror movie. Also gets a massively distended belly. Doctor refuses to do a invasive test until she's older even though she straight told him it's what she wants.

Would the test change the treatment?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Stravag posted:

I know a few vegan pet owners who absolutely loving do not do this because they’re smart people who know that this is how you seriously hurt an animal.

For me it’s gluten free people because every motherfucker and their uncle has self-diagnosed themselves with Celiac and get pissy about others eating wheat products in their presence. Meanwhile, the two people I know who actually have Celiac are very polite and laid back about how and what they eat.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

We do meat free days three nights a week at my house. Partly philosophical because I read a bunch of Buddhist stuff and was/am interested in limiting suffering and partly because my wife gets migraines and nitrates in meat is a cause of them.

Wait, meat can cause migraines?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

not caring here posted:

Nitrates are some hosed up poo poo.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

After this long the only stuff I really miss is good cheese and fish.

The new burgers do taste a lot like I remember, but honestly these days I prefer a good homemade veggie burger to something that tastes like just a plain meat patty.

Crakkerjakk fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Aug 27, 2019

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Stravag posted:

Swordfish. You will take swordfish from my cold dead fingers

Nah, climate change is gonna do it all by itself.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Living in Central America for a few years radically changed how I eat. The community I was living in loved meat, but it was a luxury and you literally had to kill your chickens for it, so it was always a party when we ate meat.

Now I'm just vegetarian by default and eat meat when I feel like celebrating or something. gently caress purists.

If everyone else in the US ate like meat-loving developing world people the beef industry would shrink by 80%.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Wingnut Ninja posted:

The ground beef substitute in burritos is great though. Load it up with enough toppings and it's close enough to beef that I'm happy.

I'm going to amend this to note that it produces some rather unsettling burps for several hours afterwards. Maybe it's an acquired taste but it's a really weird flavor.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

El Mero Mero posted:

Living in Central America for a few years radically changed how I eat. The community I was living in loved meat, but it was a luxury and you literally had to kill your chickens for it, so it was always a party when we ate meat.

Now I'm just vegetarian by default and eat meat when I feel like celebrating or something. gently caress purists.

If everyone else in the US ate like meat-loving developing world people the beef industry would shrink by 80%.

That's what I'm trying to get to, meat for special occasions. I'm really excited about the "almost meat" products because the biggest hurdle for me going vegetarian are the kids. They are hard enough to feed without cutting out an entire food group, so I'm looking forward to the day I can buy some ground beef looking stuff and just toss it in burritos and call it a day. I don't even really like the taste of beef that much anymore... I love fish, but I don't eat it unless I personally catch it, cuz you know, overfishing and what not.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

The olds on my Facebook feed are complaining that the KFC beyond chicken is “fake KFC” or “If it wasn’t killed it can’t be called meat!!” angry so now I really want to try it. Even tho Popeyes is far superior

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I want to get into cooking lionfish (we kill plenty of them in south FL), but cleaning a fish is something that I just can’t get past.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Solaris 2.0 posted:

The olds on my Facebook feed are complaining that the KFC beyond chicken is “fake KFC” or “If it wasn’t killed it can’t be called meat!!” angry so now I really want to try it. Even tho Popeyes is far superior

Popeye's is the best.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Generally I've found that if you're using fake meat, you should use about 1/3 as much as you would if you were doing something for a stereotypical American palate, fill in the rest with more (usually roasted) veggies, a creamy sauce, an extra topping like quick pickles or something. It also helps spread the cost since the store bought stuff is usually pretty spendy.

Especially if you're not used to them it can help with digestive issues from eating a bunch of stuff your stomach isn't used to dealing with in that quantity.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Icon Of Sin posted:

I want to get into cooking lionfish (we kill plenty of them in south FL), but cleaning a fish is something that I just can’t get past.

Do it submerged in cold water once the fish has cooled. No smell, nothing gushy. You can work up from there if you want.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
Trader Joe’s soy chorizo is fantastic. It’s the only meat substitute I’m really into. I haven’t had an impossible or beyond burger though.

My wife goes vegan/vegetarian for a few months at a time for health reasons, and when she cooks I don’t even miss meat. Like as long as there is some protein I’m happy.

Indians make some great vegetarian food and I think if I was a bit more experienced cooking it, I wouldn’t have a huge problem just never eating meat again.

I’d miss eggs though. How bad are eggs for the environment?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Lion fish is the super poisonous spiny things or am i thinking of the wrong thing? Are those worth eating? They dont look like theres much on them

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I still love salmon though. I don't think I could ever turn it down.

Got good news for you. Coho runs right in front of my house.

Icon Of Sin posted:

I love cleaning fish and seeing what they have been eating.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I see lion fish soup a lot when I vacation in Cozumel. And the dive masters kill every one they see cause they're a super bad invasive species

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Stravag posted:

Lion fish is the super poisonous spiny things or am i thinking of the wrong thing? Are those worth eating? They dont look like theres much on them

Venomous. It’s only in the spines, so you cut them off and there’s nothing left there to hurt you. And some of the fatter ones absolutely have good fillets on them :stare:

e: they’re supposed to cook up like flounder. And the invasiveness can’t really be overstated. They eat the fish that scrape algae off the reefs, so the fish population takes an initial dive from the young being hunted then takes a harder hit when the reef itself is smothered and dies off. In addition to tourist stuff (diving, snorkeling, fishing, etc), the reefs also act as a break for incoming storm surge. Together with the mangroves, they provide a decent bit of storm surge protection for whatever is behind them, when a hurricane strikes here. Those reefs have other stressors too (rising temps, ocean acidification, over-exploitation, and general marine debris accumulating on them), but lionfish manage to be the most immediately dangerous organism to our reefs here. FWC sponsors derbies for them throughout the year, there was one in the Panhandle that saw people bring back over 20,000 lionfish in a short span.

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 27, 2019

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

not caring here posted:

The nitrates added to most commercially cured/highly processed meats can cause migraines.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

we eat vegan a couple times a week because this place is like 5 mins away

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I don't think there are any restrictions on lionfish at all. Not just in numbers but how you catch them too. Idk, I'm not a fisherman though

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

not caring here posted:

My wife is exactly the same way as was mentioned earlier. She has to watch her red meat intake or she fairly reliably gets a migraine. Seafood, chicken, other stuff, not a problem. Red meat? Once a week or so or it's light-stabby-eyes-groaning time.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I was down to meat about twice to thrice per week.

And then I got a dehydrator.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Milo and POTUS posted:

I don't think there are any restrictions on lionfish at all. Not just in numbers but how you catch them too. Idk, I'm not a fisherman though

https://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/recreational/lionfish/

No limit, no season, no restrictions whatsoever. They also have a handy video showing how to clean the drat things.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

FAUXTON posted:

we eat vegan a couple times a week because this place is like 5 mins away

I've got this place within walking distance: https://www.strangetownmke.com/ and it's absolutely fantastic.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

Some dive shops will let you dive for free if you dive with a speargun and kill any lionfish you come across.

Then there’s this, which of course comes from Florida.

https://youtu.be/6lG-snJZIV8

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Vegans vs gluten frees

Vegans that don't understand or refuse to accept that there are big parts of the world where veganism isn't feasible are easily the worst.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Celiac disease is real, and trendy gf people are subsidizing research of how to make better tasting food for Celiac sufferers, so silver linings and all.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

joat mon posted:

The nitrates added to most commercially cured/highly processed meats can cause migraines.

Like msg? Might want to give that a Google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

https://splinternews.com/trump-wants-his-new-friends-to-come-over-and-play-at-hi-1837574769

quote:

This year’s G7 summit of world leaders may still be underway, but that hasn’t stopped President Donald Trump from already thinking ahead to next year’s confab and the fact that he’d really, really, like it if people just came over to his house instead.

Speaking alongside German Chancellor Angela Merkel on Monday, Trump told reporters that his golf resort in Doral, FL, would be a “great location” for the next summit, boasting that the Miami-Dade area has “one of the biggest airports, takes planes from everywhere. Sometimes you have hours and hours of driving to get to certain locations.”

When pressed on whether he was specifically referring to his own property, Trump added that “they love the location of the hotel.”

“We haven’t found anything that’s even close to competing with it,” he continued.

It should come as little surprise that Trump would like all his friends to come over to his house so he can show off his toys. The president is a notoriously cantankerous traveler, to the point where his own staff dread the prospect of long flights with their boss. Add to that the fact that Trump would presumably stand to make oodles of cash from a major geopolitical get-together at his exclusive club (which just so happens to be struggling financially at the moment), and the president’s insistence that Doral is the place to be makes perfect sense.

Sounds like fun!

Isnt there laws about this sort of poo poo? Not that the Republicans care about laws.