Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

wiki the phrase "social wars"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Squalid posted:

Sparta and all the other Greek city states seeking hegemony eventually ran into the same problem: they never developed a political system that could centralize governance over more than one polis. Instead after winning a war they simply relied on installing sympathetic, but fundamentally still independent clients to rule over defeated cities.

However again and again these clients either just turned on their former friends or were overthrown by a revolution, and the city states turned on each other once again. Somehow Rome overcame this obstacle and was able to keep its Italian allies cooperative and subservient to Roman authority, and I'm not sure why they alone of all the classical city states was able to do it.

Among other things, it was considerably more brutal whenever its clients started acting out; see also what happened to the Latin allies of Hannibal after the Second Punic War.

Captain_Maclaine has issued a correction as of 01:08 on Aug 27, 2019

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Probably because all the ones who decided not to be subservient would have their populations carted off in chains and the land handed out to a bunch of Romans, see the social wars

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

It's also why the Romans would hand out land to soldiers, now the subjugated population has a bunch of guys experienced in handling weapons hanging around and controlling a bunch of the farmland.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

rome was simultaneously plowing over carthage as it was accepting control over the last greek states. their maniple tactics were specifically designed to defeat a citizen soldier phallanx and they could drop a legion on every threat.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

then the marian reforms multiplied their manpower thousands of times over

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

There's an excellent book on the different military philosophies and tactics/strategies of the Greek and Romans that I use when I'm teaching War and Society seminars, Soldiers and Ghosts: A History of Battle in Classical Antiquity by J.E. Lendon, that I highly recommend to the thread for anyone who wants to get a very solid understanding of how those societies went to war and the relationships they had toward organized violence. A very short, incomplete version (which doesn't do this excellent book justice) would be:

Greeks: "We fight to determine which Polis is the best, much as we compete in athletics and all other things."
Romans: *foaming at the mouth with incoherent, bloodmaddened howls for death and conquest*

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Agean90 posted:

It's also why the Romans would hand out land to soldiers, now the subjugated population has a bunch of guys experienced in handling weapons hanging around and controlling a bunch of the farmland.

Yeah plus the Romans would shack up with the local women and cuck the locals.

Over time this strategy of land grants led to gradual romanization of areas like Gaul and pretty much wiped out most of the local celtic culture over time.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Also that Romans were more than willing to throw military purity away for things that work

A celt, smelly and totally not beating me: 𝖁𝖆𝖊 𝖁𝖎𝖈𝖙𝖚𝖘
I, a latin, civilized beyond the ways of barbarians: :hmmyes:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

etalian posted:

Yeah plus the Romans would shack up with the local women and cuck the locals.

Over time this strategy of land grants led to gradual romanization of areas like Gaul and pretty much wiped out most of the local celtic culture over time.

As with so many other things though, this wasn't exactly original to Rome. Alexander similarly encouraged intermarriage and Hellenization across his empire as he went.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Squalid posted:

Sparta and all the other Greek city states seeking hegemony eventually ran into the same problem: they never developed a political system that could centralize governance over more than one polis. Instead after winning a war they simply relied on installing sympathetic, but fundamentally still independent clients to rule over defeated cities.

However again and again these clients either just turned on their former friends or were overthrown by a revolution, and the city states turned on each other once again. Somehow Rome overcame this obstacle and was able to keep its Italian allies cooperative and subservient to Roman authority, and I'm not sure why they alone of all the classical city states was able to do it.

Like others mentioned, they could be particularly brutal to rebellious groups. However on top of that, it was also pretty good to be part of the Roman hegemony, at least for the landowners and the like. It sucked sending troops and not getting as much booty, but they were in turn far more secure in their safety than most other cities could boast at the time, got access to a huge trade network, and had the legions in town building really nice roads and other infrastructure. Hannibal's core strategy was to turn the Roman Allies against them, and while many did try their hand at shaking off the Roman yoke, a whole bunch never did, even when Rome was clearly against the ropes. Rome was very brutal and often very, very bad, but in an ancient world where that was far more often the norm than otherwise, the monty python sketch might be closer to the truth in a bunch of situations than it is fiction. It was probably pretty loving dope when you mostly could just stop worrying about invasions or raiders loving your life up, even if the Romans were a bunch of cheap assholes that refused to give you a say in govt.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Agean90 posted:

Also that Romans were more than willing to throw military purity away for things that work

A celt, smelly and totally not beating me: 𝖁𝖆𝖊 𝖁𝖎𝖈𝖙𝖚𝖘
I, a latin, civilized beyond the ways of barbarians: :hmmyes:

Rebels by wearing pants!

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

etalian posted:

Rebels by wearing pants!

Gnaeus Scipio owned because he was both beat the preeminent military mind of his day and was also dedicated to pissing off the Roman equivalent of boomers by wearing his hair long and claiming to get military advice from the gods.

the olds hated him but he was too competent to sideline

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Agean90 posted:

Probably because all the ones who decided not to be subservient would have their populations carted off in chains and the land handed out to a bunch of Romans, see the social wars

The Greeks were eager to do this too, they were just bad at it.

Agean90 posted:

Greeks also did this if they conquered cities and when founding colonies. However they always struggled to exert any kind of real control over colonies distant from the home polis. The Peloponnesian War started because Corcyra, a Corinthian colony, defected to the Athenian alliance which scared the rest of Greece into rallying against Athens before they became even more powerful.

Even when Greek city states won big victories they were rarely able to capitalize on it. At the end of the Peloponnesian War Sparta installed the Thirty Tyrants to rule over Athens. They barely lasted a year though before being overthrown, and Athens immediately joined Thebes in a new anti-Spartan alliance. Sparta couldn't capitalize on their victory to actually build a lasting centralized political system.

Rome by contrast, despite having an overtly similar political system to that of the Greek city states, was able to build a political system that effectively consolidated power. Roman colonies, unlike Corcyra, didn't claim the power to set their foreign policy separately.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Agean90 posted:

Gnaeus Scipio owned because he was both beat the preeminent military mind of his day and was also dedicated to pissing off the Roman equivalent of boomers by wearing his hair long and claiming to get military advice from the gods.

the olds hated him but he was too competent to sideline

Caesar hung out with a bunch of weirdos who would go out drinking and stand on tables and wear pants and goatees, and his togas had fringe on them and he wore them "loosely belted"

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Overall the reason Rome is so fun to learn about is there is just so much humanizing information about them because we just luckily have it. Certainly it was no different in other ancient cultures as well, but we just do not have the same depth of information for many of them. The vindolanda tablets alone are goddamn amazing in the window they give to what amounts to everyday life.

http://vindolanda.csad.ox.ac.uk/4DL...isplayEnglish=1

This one from a Roman mother to her son stationed all the way in Scotland is my favorite. It's a mom sending her faraway son socks and underwear so he does not get cold and you can tell he writes often because she knows the names of his messmates.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

What's a good book about pre-Qin China?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Mods, name change please!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Plutonis posted:

What's a good book about pre-Qin China?

The Cambridge History of Ancient China.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Carthage: uses boats

Rome: is bad at boats

Rome (internally): But what if we could turn sea battles into close‐quarters swordfights?

One prototype later:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

man can y'all imagine Cicero with twitter

the #content would be unreal

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Agean90 posted:

he’d report Clodius for cyberbullying him

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
spartacus wouldnt be given a checkmark

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Overall the reason Rome is so fun to learn about is there is just so much humanizing information about them because we just luckily have it. Certainly it was no different in other ancient cultures as well, but we just do not have the same depth of information for many of them. The vindolanda tablets alone are goddamn amazing in the window they give to what amounts to everyday life.

This one from a Roman mother to her son stationed all the way in Scotland is my favorite. It's a mom sending her faraway son socks and underwear so he does not get cold and you can tell he writes often because she knows the names of his messmates.

I loved the HBO Rome TV series even though like most works of fiction it has some historical inaccuracy for the sake of drama.

Practical sets were amazing too bad they all got burned down in a fire.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

got any sevens posted:

spartacus wouldnt be given a checkmark

this is violence!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

spartacus did nothing wrong.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
who would the roman version of tweeting toemp be

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

got any sevens posted:

The fat guy in HBO's Rome who makes those news announcement in the town square.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

got any sevens posted:

Again, I return to the graffiti of Pompeii which was mostly dicks or comments about dicks.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the penises wiggle and dance in a conga line of lewd pavement carvings headed from points of congregation toward the main brothel in town.

scientists today worry about the symbology we use to alert future people of danger and talk about how some cultures might read an arrow wrong. shoulda used a dick, idiots.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

the birthday invitation from that trove is great too

Real hurthling! has issued a correction as of 05:19 on Aug 27, 2019

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Platystemon posted:

Rome (internally): But what if we could turn sea battles into close‐quarters swordfights?

One prototype later:

The Corvus was dangerous to the ships it was installed on that the Romans had abandoned it before the war was even over.

Turns out it's easier to just learn to boat.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PittTheElder posted:

The Corvus was dangerous to the ships it was installed on that the Romans had abandoned it before the war was even over.

Turns out it's easier to just learn to boat.

Some people say it sent two fleets and a hundred thousand men to the bottom of the Mediterranean.

Others say “that’s uninformed speculation from the twentieth century and models show that ships with corvi were not substantially less stable than unadorned ships. The Romans lost fleets because their ships were poorly built in other respects, they were piloted by inexperience commanders, and because the storms were uncommonly fierce”.

Ancient sources (chief among them Polybius) don’t tell us the Romans stopped using the corvus, they just don’t mention it in later battles. They certainly don’t say “the Romans intentionally dropped the corvus because they recognised the stability problem”.

Polybius does talk about the presence of marines in later battles and he give figures for the number of ships captured which suggest that either the Romans were still using the corvus, or they had developed alternative boarding strategies that were just as effective and obsoleted the thing.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Delthalaz posted:

So why were there so few Spartans later on? I always heard it was because they were eugenic psychos who killed too many ‘inferior’ babies but idk

over time a landlord elite emerged in sparta and monopolized power. since the spartan agoge was drawn from freeborn men the base of their recruits steadily dwindled, and by the early hellenistic period their numbers had dropped from around nine thousand to just seven hundredish. There was a reform, 'Lycurgan' faction with aims that are hard to reconstruct, and eventually one of the two Spartan kings got on board with them only to be immediately murdered. Years later his son, Cleomenes, took power and brutally purged the ephors and most of the large estate holders, whose lands he broke up and redistributed. The tension between land owning elites and common citizens of the polis was super taut during this time period, and Cleomenes' actions provoked a kind of reactionary response from most of the rest of Greece. Macedon and a group of cities known as the Achaian League put aside their differences just long enough to smash Sparta flat and force Cleomenes to flee into exile in Ptolemaic Egypt. At some point he tried to raise a revolt from within Alexandria against the Ptolemies, failed miserably, and presumably was executed.

Fuligin has issued a correction as of 08:25 on Aug 27, 2019

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Agean90 posted:

if cicero had twitter he would have been dead a couple decades earlier

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Caesar offhandedly remarks in his commentary on the war against the Veniti that their ships were so tall that even with towers on his ships his soldiers had to awkwardly throw their javelins upwards to hit the enemies. He doesn't say so explicitly but I got the definite impression that these towers weren't something he tried against an unusual foe, but were just a common part of Roman naval warfare. (A paragraph later he describes what his actual brilliant plan was, which was using scythe-like polearms to cut the rigging of the enemy ships).

The image of a trireme with a tower on it for you to fill with archers, slingers, or javileneers always stuck with me

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Platystemon posted:

One prototype later:

Yeah how'd they feel about elephants

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
Thanks everyone for the answers about Polynesian navigation. It's fascinating stuff.

dpf
Sep 17, 2011

Can anyone recommend a good book on the Senate?

Specifically in post-Augstan times. I've found the title "senator" popping up in some sources /very/ late (i.e. long after the establishment of the Kingdoms of Odacer and Theodoric).

I'm interested in how signs/images/ideology of the Republic endured, what their function was and finally the liminal moment between the decaying Graeco-Roman civilization and the rise of the Papacy proper.

I love the idea of degredated notables meeting and gossiping in the forum in this grassy, decaying ruin.

Extra info on how iconography of the Empire transmuted and (Dux Bellorum into feudal Dukes, etc.) is also interesting but I only have slithers of information from here and there.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

etalian posted:

The fat guy in HBO's Rome who makes those news announcement in the town square.

Brought to you by the miller's guild, true roman bread for true romans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

dpf posted:

Can anyone recommend a good book on the Senate?

Specifically in post-Augstan times. I've found the title "senator" popping up in some sources /very/ late (i.e. long after the establishment of the Kingdoms of Odacer and Theodoric).

I'm interested in how signs/images/ideology of the Republic endured, what their function was and finally the liminal moment between the decaying Graeco-Roman civilization and the rise of the Papacy proper.

I love the idea of degredated notables meeting and gossiping in the forum in this grassy, decaying ruin.

Extra info on how iconography of the Empire transmuted and (Dux Bellorum into feudal Dukes, etc.) is also interesting but I only have slithers of information from here and there.

Best place to ask would be the real ancient history thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3486446