Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

The Walrus posted:

You need to get a bit further, you get the blueprints for Storage Crate 1 through 9 from one of your base personnel. That said, it is a bit silly to need to have like an apartment block of storage crates to store less than what your exosuit can cart around in it's pockets.
I got those already, not enough. And like you said, it stupid that you need a full hallway to access those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Anyone gotten any frigate missions above 3 stars?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Mousewheel used to change the terrain manipulator size for me, but since the patch that fixed keybinds, it doesn't. Weird, because after that patch NMS actually remembered all my other controls without me having to redo them.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Sorry if this has been answered already, but I've been having trouble finding a solution to reflections in VR. Water looks terrible, as each eye gets a different reflection. Is there any way to address this?

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
after several hours in vr I tried playing on my monitor again. flying was awful, treating your ship like a real vehicle aaaand being able to look out windows on a whim is so incredible once you've gotten used to it--after 10 minutes because it's how you've interacted with real vehicles for whole life. I wish I wasn't too hungover to vr it yesterday!!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

So the freighter missions are just on the Nexus now? Not too happy with those, the rewards seem much worse than when they were freighter-based and I can't just quickly cycle them to one I like..

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

FELLOW GOONS: WHEN THIS POSTER OFFERS TO BRAID YOUR PUBES, SAY NO!!!

Atoramos posted:

Sorry if this has been answered already, but I've been having trouble finding a solution to reflections in VR. Water looks terrible, as each eye gets a different reflection. Is there any way to address this?

This is a huge problem, and I'm not even sure it's just the different reflections per eye. I closed one eye and went "yep, that still doesn't look right," especially compared with how good it looks on pancake. It's the same with a few other things. My theory is that they're still using your monitor's display for post-processing and that it's screwing it up. I can't think of another good reason for TAA to do what it's doing in VR or all the weird white/green outlines on certain objects at distance. I use a 1080p monitor so I also feel that may be exacerbating things.

I thought they may have fixed this when I saw they finally implemented the eye cutouts in rendering but nope.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Ugh you know you've been playing too long when you get to work & hold the mouse key down on every press.

SO anyway I got a weird bug, when I started a game early last year I had a base that I'd built around a crashed ship so I could grind parts & remember where it was because it owned. Got my ship, explored the galaxy, blah blah blah anyway I went back to that base and there was a new, different, crashed ship there. And the distress beacon had reset. Bonus ship, I thought, and added it to my collection. Then left but returned later because I had farms there. Another ship was spawned in, this time the same one (in 'crashed' state).

It does this every time I portal in. I already have a freighter full of halfway decent rescued ships so not interested in this particularly it's just a pity I can't cash in on my apparent infinite ships. The beacon respawns too so I've now learned a few recipes and have all the nanites I could ever hope for.

Is there any mod that lets you sell a ship? Because I think I just hit the jackpot on free junk from bugs.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

ToastyPotato posted:

Mousewheel used to change the terrain manipulator size for me, but since the patch that fixed keybinds, it doesn't. Weird, because after that patch NMS actually remembered all my other controls without me having to redo them.
You can bind it back in with TKGAMESETTINGS.MXML or, again, if you have an unlockable mousewheel to turn smooth scrolling on, use that to bind.
code:
		<Property name="KeyMapping2_174" value="GcInputActionMapping2.xml">
			<Property name="ActionSet" value="OnFootControls" />
			<Property name="Action" value="Terrain_SizeUp" />
			<Property name="Button" value="MouseWheelUp" />
			<Property name="Axis" value="None" />
		</Property>
		<Property name="KeyMapping2_175" value="GcInputActionMapping2.xml">
			<Property name="ActionSet" value="OnFootControls" />
			<Property name="Action" value="Terrain_SizeDown" />
			<Property name="Button" value="MouseWheelDown" />
			<Property name="Axis" value="None" />
		</Property>
Unfortunately you can't double-bind anything so as soon as you try to rebind, say, "page up/down" away from its default, it will unbind the mousewheel up and down functionality. Same goes for some other little bits and bobs. They got so drat close to finally making a good key rebind menu, one that actually exceeds AAA expectations, but failed to allow double-binds and still exposed some hard coded binds they have.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Tambaloneus posted:

Ugh you know you've been playing too long when you get to work & hold the mouse key down on every press.

You do know that you can disable that for most things now right?

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Just came back after the last few patches. I hadn't seen my bases since before the expansion and welp, reclaimed by terrain. Have they fixed the terrain regenerating over time or is there a permanent fix? If not I'm gonna put everything on stilts....

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Harminoff posted:

and get a mod for the rest

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Inacio posted:

and get a mod for the rest

Yes that's why I turned it back on, it was too inconsistent which parts wanted a long press & which didn't. Once I start seeing my favourites being updated for beyond I'll hunt down the rest too. (no pirates mod is my priority).

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Tambaloneus posted:

Yes that's why I turned it back on, it was too inconsistent which parts wanted a long press & which didn't. Once I start seeing my favourites being updated for beyond I'll hunt down the rest too. (no pirates mod is my priority).

no need to wait for that specifically my dude, already updated

https://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/1081

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
So where do I get sodium diodes? I need them for my scanner to find manufacturing facilities but I need to find a manufacturing facility to make one? Ugh.

I've searched 26 systems I can't find a single seller.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Harminoff posted:

How? I tried the option in the menu but it didn't do poo poo, I assume it was just trademark Hello Games and they forgot to make the config option do anything.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

If you upgrade an Exocraft with some modules on my base following the base quests and then go build a pad on a different planet, will this be the upgraded version that shows up or is it a brand new one with nothing in on every planet I build one?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

You summon the same exocraft each time, upgrade away.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

dogstile posted:

So where do I get sodium diodes? I need them for my scanner to find manufacturing facilities but I need to find a manufacturing facility to make one? Ugh.

Even then, I've raided like a dozen manufacturing facilities and only gotten the tech tree option from one of them.

Minor Settlements - the ones with a landing pad and gun rack - will generally sell them as part of their mod-part inventory.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
best way to find s class poo poo like multitools and ships? other than just system hopping and hoping i get lucky :|

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
So the only way to use an exocraft is to haul around the mats for a bay + base computer, break it down and reuse at every planet? Annoying, it should just a vehicle hanger upgrade for the ship or something.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Legs Benedict posted:

best way to find s class poo poo like multitools and ships? other than just system hopping and hoping i get lucky :|
Get the economy scanner for your ship (blueprint at the anomaly) and only go to 3-star systems. That's where they hide!

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
ty. my indium farm is rapidly approaching high yield profits so ill finally be able to afford a nice one, wanted to know where to look

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

There are points of interest on planets, called something like Minor Outpost, that consists of a landing pad or two, a weapon shop, and a quest NPC hanging around. The weapon shop sells a multitool and upgrade components including sodium diodes.

If you're already searching for manufacturing facilities you should try to hit up one of those places.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Springfield Fatts posted:

So the only way to use an exocraft is to haul around the mats for a bay + base computer, break it down and reuse at every planet? Annoying, it should just a vehicle hanger upgrade for the ship or something.

No no no no, you build the bay in your base, then you can plop down the exocraft radar thingy wherever you want (don't need a base computer), summon with the X menu and dismantle the radar when you've summoned the craft.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
The summoning station? Cool, thanks.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Springfield Fatts posted:

The summoning station? Cool, thanks.

Yep. You need to keep ion batteries and whatnot in inventory, but if you're smart, you'll buy enough batteries to fill a cargo slot when you earn your first mill, so that you can recharge your survival poo poo whenever you need to.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I mady my first Permadeath character and someone on The Anomaly dropped items on me worth 300 million credits. Can't wait to lose it all to falling through the floor of a capital ship :angel:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I wouldn't dare play permadeath with how buggy this game is.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

dogstile posted:

I wouldn't dare play permadeath with how buggy this games is are.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Eh, stellaris ironman mode isn't bad :shrug:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
because you can always kill the game and load the last autosave when poo poo explodes :v:

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

dogstile posted:

Eh, stellaris ironman mode isn't bad :shrug:

Yeah, it's a bit of an exaggeration. If I were to be more specific, I'd say anything with a 3D engine and physics where ironman isn't the default setting (roguelikes and such) is a trap.

Doom Ultra Nightmare is good though.

Serf
May 5, 2011

anyone else having an issue where sometimes textures just get super blurry and won't resolve? restarting fixes it, but its drat annoying

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
every time i get to like level 80 without deaths in path of exile i figure "hey i should try a HC character it might be fun", but then inevitably i get disconnected/lagged and killed 5 minutes later and i'm like "thank gently caress i didn't fall into that trap lmao"

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Serf posted:

anyone else having an issue where sometimes textures just get super blurry and won't resolve? restarting fixes it, but its drat annoying

Yes. I think it's related to the game running out of vram since those are, I assume, the low LOD textures, but that's just a hunch. Fwiw it only occured to me after going into the anomaly, and turning off multiplayer seems to have prevented it.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

dogstile posted:

Also, the cartographer on space stations sells you points of interest you can use that will direct you to manufacturing facilities (in addition to other types of buildings)

And you can talk to NPCs who get out of their spaceships and see if they sell any.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah, i've been trying the maps and the ships, its just constant alien artifacts or trading posts, i'll try some more. At the very least the minor settlement suggestion will be able to bear fruit, pretty sure there's one nearby that i forgot to check the components of.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Try trading posts, they seem to have a higher chance of selling those yellow-rarity crafting materials. You can scan for trading posts through the x-menu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Someone pointed out upthread that there are actually several different kinds of planetary maps and each stations vendor only gives one. The tooltip for the map will tell you what kind it is and they dont stack.