Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Con's slogan is especially gently caress You, Gonna Get Mine.

Get ahead of your fellow countrymen, stomp down as you scramble desperately to climb up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

NZAmoeba posted:

Con's slogan is especially gently caress You, Gonna Get Mine.

Get ahead of your fellow countrymen, stomp down as you scramble desperately to climb up.

Their French-language slogan is "Plus. Pour vous. Dès maintenant." (More. For you. Right now.)

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Vintersorg posted:

Get Niki in there.

Hell yeah

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/robgillezeau/status/1166088913817100288
lol

(Steven Guilbeault is the LPC candidate in Laurier—Sainte-Marie)

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Trudeau is going to win a majority.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
when does the election have to be officially called?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

brucio posted:

when does the election have to be officially called?

Sep 15th is the last day to start the campaign, any time before that is fair game.

And of course election day could be earlier than the fixed election date.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
Can incumbents post their elevtion signs before the writ is dropped? I saw a bunvh of Anita Verbeltrn signs (liberal) while visiting family in Ottawa.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

On private property, sure, anyone can. On public property, it varies from municipality to municipality.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Juul-Whip posted:

Trudeau is going to win a majority.

How's that

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

mila kunis posted:

How's that

https://twitter.com/CPC_HQ/status/1162318083115159552?s=19

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

mila kunis posted:

How's that

Just watch him !

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016
There are two Sask Party MLAs who became CPC candidates in the spring. They’ve kept their jobs as MLAs but have been canvassing as CPC MPs. They say they will step down once the election is called, but the Sask Party hasn’t said anything about by-elections.

https://thestarphoenix.com/news/sas...5b-552477d4c6a6

Is an active MLA running as federal candidate at the same time a common thing? It all seems super sketchy, but they are conservatives so...

The sad trumpet at the end is just so perfect. Too funny

Yellow Ant fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Aug 27, 2019

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
Lets see - the Cons are holding steady or bleeding support to the PPC, PPC aren't bleeding support anywhere but who cares, Libs are bleeding support to the NDP and Greens, NDP are bleeding support to the Greens, Greens are bleeding support to the gently caress It, I'm Going To Stay Home, Smoke Weed, and Masturbate Party.

I think the next U.S. election is easier to call than this one.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Hexigrammus posted:

gently caress It, I'm Going To Stay Home, Smoke Weed, and Masturbate Party.

Do you have any literature for them? Sounds intriguing. :thunk:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Anywhere the CPC is making gains right now is in riding they already control. So Alberta is going to be like 80% CPC with no actual seats gained.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

and Linda Duncan will continue getting elected because that's the U of A riding.

I wonder if Lethbridge could be swung since lots of people there are super pissed about the UCP cancelling the planned construction of a new arts centre there

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Yellow Ant posted:

There are two Sask Party MLAs who became CPC candidates in the spring. They’ve kept their jobs as MLAs but have been canvassing as CPC MPs. They say they will step down once the election is called, but the Sask Party hasn’t said anything about by-elections.

https://thestarphoenix.com/news/sas...5b-552477d4c6a6

Is an active MLA running as federal candidate at the same time a common thing? It all seems super sketchy, but they are conservatives so...
Provincial legislators aren't eligible to be candidates for federal election. They'll have to resign their seats by the nomination deadline (probably two weeks or so after the election is formally called.)

Aces High posted:

and Linda Duncan will continue getting elected because that's the U of A riding.

She's not running again.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Hexigrammus posted:

gently caress It, I'm Going To Stay Home, Smoke Weed, and Masturbate Party.

Great, there goes another $20 million to the RCMP.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Venomous posted:

1. It's going to be a hung parliament in favour of your Tories, right?

2. Are there any Corbyn equivalents who you can elect as NDP leader when Singh loses badly, or is the whole party just full of neoliberals now?

2. Svend Robinson???

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
How does one enter Canadian politica if they know what change they want but don't have a clue how to get it done?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Charles Bukowski posted:

How does one enter Canadian politica if they know what change they want but don't have a clue how to get it done?

Something we have been trying to figure out in this thread for 10 years. :v:

Serious answer: start locally. I know its cliche but its honestly pretty accurate for a lot of places in this country due to our spread out population and changing age demographics (I think this is going to be the first election we will have where gen-x/millenials will outnumber boomers). The NDP isnt a lost cause yet, I think with Singh failing to make any gains is a good chance to reform the party again to better reflect its original goals.

As always the problem is time. Or lack of it. The planet is dying faster than our worst models and a conservative government will see Bolsonaro levels of gently caress you to environmental protections while the Liberals seem pretty content to continue on their current path of kicking the can down the road.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

Aces High posted:

I wonder if Lethbridge could be swung since lots of people there are super pissed about the UCP cancelling the planned construction of a new arts centre there

ahahahaha absolutely not. the people who are mad already knew the UCP was trash, and the people who don't care/are glad outnumber us 5 to 1.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Charles Bukowski posted:

Sounds like you're perfect for the Green Party

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

mila kunis posted:

How's that

Every government that won a majority since the 30s has gotten re elected for at least another mandate. Odds are on his side, and our system hasn't broken all that much in the last while. The SNC thing also is turning out a lot less interesting than people assumed it would be. I honestly think the NDP are gonna bleed support back to the libs more than to the greens

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

We could actually end up in a situation this election where the CPC wins the popular vote but the Liberals win a majority

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Here I thought the NDP did well in Lethbridge this time around, but even Shannon Phillips barely held on. I guess they still did well by Alberta standards.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

We could actually end up in a situation this election where the CPC wins the popular vote but the Liberals win a majority

Ah, the reverse Trump

e: also, if Bernier hadn't split off from the party, would it be fair to say that he'd have become the next CPC leader when Scheer lost?

Venomous fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 27, 2019

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

Every government that won a majority since the 30s has gotten re elected for at least another mandate. Odds are on his side, and our system hasn't broken all that much in the last while. The SNC thing also is turning out a lot less interesting than people assumed it would be. I honestly think the NDP are gonna bleed support back to the libs more than to the greens

That's not even true of every government that's won a majority this decade.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

The SNC thing also is turning out a lot less interesting than people assumed it would be.

Especially to people who already voted Liberal in the last election. I don't think it's shocking to many Liberal voters that Liberals are going to have boring scandals and get down on their knees for business interests. It's part of the brand.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Venomous posted:

Ah, the reverse Trump

e: also, if Bernier hadn't split off from the party, would it be fair to say that he'd have become the next CPC leader when Scheer lost?

Scheer is going to get at least another 2-3 elections as CPC leader I would say, it's rare for someone to be one and done as a leader unless they end up with an embarassing result

Bernier could have very well taken over after, I still wouldn't put it past him to merge back into the CPC in like 8 years after posting back-to-back <3% vote shares. We will probably have a more Trumpian-like figure emerge in the next few years though.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

DariusLikewise posted:

Scheer is going to get at least another 2-3 elections as CPC leader I would say, it's rare for someone to be one and done as a leader unless they end up with an embarassing result

Bernier could have very well taken over after, I still wouldn't put it past him to merge back into the CPC in like 8 years after posting back-to-back <3% vote shares. We will probably have a more Trumpian-like figure emerge in the next few years though.

Once Ford is done with his efficiencies in Ontario, he'll want to move onto the whole country.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

That would be incredibly ironic given the fact that it's Ford that's killing Scheers chances of winning this election

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

InfiniteZero posted:

Especially to people who already voted Liberal in the last election. I don't think it's shocking to many Liberal voters that Liberals are going to have boring scandals and get down on their knees for business interests. It's part of the brand.

The whole "actually, this won't be the last election under first past the post, also we're buying a pipeline" poo poo probably matters a bit more

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Pinterest Mom posted:

The key piece that got left out of that claim was that no party that entered government with a (working) majority didn't win at least a minority on the second go-around. The only exceptions are Alexander Mackenzie in 1873 and R.B. Bennett in 1935.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Booourns posted:

The whole "actually, this won't be the last election under first past the post, also we're buying a pipeline" poo poo probably matters a bit more

Maybe, but I'd actually bet many Liberal voters still can't stomach Scheer and don't see the NDP as viable anyway. I can't be convinced that suburban Liberal voters last time around were thinking too much about electoral reform or worry themselves too much about pipelines (outside of BC).

I'm not condoning this type of reasoning, I'm just arguing that I think it exists.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I really don't want to vote for any of these people. NDP I guess.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah the NDP looks really uncredible this election, I won't be surprised if the Libs win a reduced majority.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Pinterest Mom posted:

*when taking over from the other party. Pardon. Trudeau took the role with a majority, that has previously signaled he'll hold on at least one more cycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
There's a first time for everything. Remember every liberal leader had always been PM at least once until stephen dion and michael ignatieff came along