Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Beet Wagon posted:

not to keep banging on about my one funny tweet but this made me lol.

games-making is a pretty closed-off community and we've had conversations here about how it generally doesn't really pay to talk a bunch of poo poo about other developers, so I always kind of understood that the most we'd see is the honestly pretty light-hearted stuff we've seen from CCP and RGO so far (RGO went hard a couple times with the mansion poo poo but even that could be seen as kind of all in good fun). There doesn't seem to be any compunction about just absolutely making GBS threads on CR at this point though.

I think because Chris was the first to fire shots across real game developers' bows. I don't think the community considers him a part of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Bofast posted:

"Some people had no dishes", "there wasn't enough potatoes for all", "not enough bread for the starters", "portions were really small sized".
How are these people ok with paying several hundred dollars and being treated so poorly? :psyduck:

"What I most enjoyed were the conversations, the feeling of beeing a part of something"

:(

Zazz Razzamatazz fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Aug 27, 2019

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

AbstractNapper posted:

The dinner was a ruse.
They were actually being motion captured for the infamous cafeteria scene, hence the benches.
Chris directed the whole thing from above.

There is more than 50 in this instance, so that would be impossible.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

Bofast posted:

"Some people had no dishes", "there wasn't enough potatoes for all", "not enough bread for the starters", "portions were really small sized".
How are these people ok with paying several hundred dollars and being treated so poorly? :psyduck:

"It's okay! I didn't pay the money for the food, I paid to see Chris and hang out with developers" :downs:

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Star Citizen: Just 3DSMax and PowerPoint for 10 years

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's family style, so they are going to bring out a platter for each table and you just have to hope whoever you're sitting with is hygienic or you get first crack at all the plates.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Hot air and small lunch.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Hotdogs and potatoes, not enough plates, family style, loving benches. Did they ever fill that "fine dining" position because this had Chris and Sandi planning the night before written all over.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

There is no such thing as good dogfighting. It is all just turning as hard as you can, and it sucks.

Also, this game is going stadia exclusive, you heard it here first, folks 100% guaranteed. The only way to get the huge crowd of players netcode they want is to make google do it for them.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
The thought of shapcap sat on a bench crammed next to a giogetmoney type of character, pushing his solitary potato around, gazing longingly at a sales brochure for a $675 jpeg that literally does not exist is incredibly funny to me, Chris sat up on high well away from them all while he probably gulps down potato after potato just makes it even funnier.
Then shapcap going all 'IT WASNT A SALES PITCH' about it on redit just slathered on another layer of comedy I should have expected
loving potatoes man, they didn't have enough :laugh:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Hav posted:

Welcome to the last seven years. What you’re describing is why Eve dumped walking in stations, as the populace is not homogenous, making Jita a fairly unique problem.

We call it ‘thundering herd’ problems.

Thundering Herd is really the next problem on their list. Right now they're trying to cull unneeded objects from being processed. Which only matters if no one can see those objects. Population will naturally spike in certain areas, where I would assume the engine has some allowances to prevent a thundering herd from killing the game, but you'll also have people all over the galaxy, it only takes 1 person in a station to force the game to load that station. I could see in an ED scale universe where you could make saving there but in a SC sized universe everything is going to be populated.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

"it wasnt a sales pitch! it wasnt a sales pitch!!", i continue to insist as i slowly open my wallet and dump my savings into crobert's waiting hand

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

They can't even do instancing without ssocs. So there's that.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

rePool
Apr 18, 2019

Undercover Goon.

So long and thanks for all the fish

Hav posted:

Can i get a signed version of that Beet ‘Beet Wagon’ Wagon tweet before he gets all Hollywood?

Now that we're among an A-list celebrity, I can only imagine the hate Beet is going to get on /sc now.

I'm sure this rattled a few cages.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
So I heard Beet is now selling bottles of his bathwater?
Where can I pledge?

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

rePool posted:

Now that we're among an A-list celebrity, I can only imagine the hate Beet is going to get on /sc now.

I'm sure this rattled a few cages.

You mean more than the other hate they dump on him when he posts on r/sc?
They'll just pass it off as Goonie FUD.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

peter gabriel posted:

Where can I pledge?

so that's his exit strategy? loving leaver!

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

peter gabriel posted:

Where can I pledge?

You have to buy Love Pledge first, and get to Super Condom Concierge Level.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Didn't have time to paste an arm in, but glitchy is what CInotG does best :D

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

Where can I pledge?

I'd buy a bottle of Kajak's drool

e: if anyone wants to know how to get loads of Australian Shepard drool: let him get stung in the cheek by "something", and wait from him to scratch it all open over night, so half of his face looks like an exploded watermelon (both in color and size). Then go to the vet every day while giving him heavy pain killers. drat, that wasn't a nice weekend last week (especially since it was super hard to find a vet at sunday who'd give him some pain killers). But our Aussie is back on track....I never thought I'd be so happy when he barks at me without end, because he feels fine again.

tuo fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 27, 2019

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

Where can I pledge?

I remember he probated me once.. its like we bonded somehow...

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The SQ42 excuse for the mine ship is pretty funny. Why exactly would they need a minelayer/minesweeper ship for a single player game? Is there an exciting level where you put your dogfighter aside and plant mines? Or sweep for mines? Or are you fighting one? And if so, why would they build the minelaying SHIP? Why not just have a level in a space minefield, where presumably a fleet of minelaying ships had BEEN long before? What does it add to make the ship?

It's just such tortured logic.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Rotten Red Rod posted:

What does it add to make the ship?

Money. It adds money to crobberts bank account.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

peter gabriel posted:

The thought of shapcap sat on a bench crammed next to a giogetmoney type of character, pushing his solitary potato around, gazing longingly at a sales brochure for a $675 jpeg that literally does not exist is incredibly funny to me, Chris sat up on high well away from them all while he probably gulps down potato after potato just makes it even funnier.
Then shapcap going all 'IT WASNT A SALES PITCH' about it on redit just slathered on another layer of comedy I should have expected
loving potatoes man, they didn't have enough :laugh:

The potato shortage at the tables was actually a lore tie in to the great Vanduul Potato Famine of 2835, that coincidently enough, was the initiator of the great conflict.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

monkeytek posted:

The potato shortage at the tables was actually a lore tie in to the great Vanduul Potato Famine of 2835, that coincidently enough, was the initiator of the great conflict.

Goddam Vanduuls :argh: No wonder we are at war with them and their spear keys

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Sabreseven posted:

Didn't have time to paste an arm in, but glitchy is what CInotG does best :D

"What about the vegetables Chris?"

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Aramoro posted:

Thundering Herd is really the next problem on their list. Right now they're trying to cull unneeded objects from being processed. Which only matters if no one can see those objects. Population will naturally spike in certain areas, where I would assume the engine has some allowances to prevent a thundering herd from killing the game, but you'll also have people all over the galaxy, it only takes 1 person in a station to force the game to load that station. I could see in an ED scale universe where you could make saving there but in a SC sized universe everything is going to be populated.

Well then it's a good thing they added a mine layer to clutter up the map with mines!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Has the Crobbler pitched a "cloaking" ship yet? How about a ship that opens wormholes? I sense there are still other sci-fi tropes he can steal and subsequently fail to understand and implement.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Well then it's a good thing they added a mine layer to clutter up the map with mines!

Well, they "added" it in the same way they added repair ships, medic ships, commuter ships, news ships...

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am still left speechless at the mental gymnastics pulled off by backers for this game who are convinced this mess is ever going to hit 1.0, much less beta.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I said come in! posted:

I am still left speechless at the mental gymnastics pulled off by backers for this game who are convinced this mess is ever going to hit 1.0, much less beta.

I'm sure Croberts will release something called 1.0 or beta at some point

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
ever spent £3 on a gas station sandwich and felt ripped off when it wasn't that good?

imagine spending $1670 on both a non-existent ship and an expensive poo poo meal where there wasn't enough bread and potatoes.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

I said come in! posted:

To be fair, CIG paved the road long ago to allow them to just arbitrarily give release numbers to their builds, and backers proved long ago that they'll swallow that and ask for more. 1.0 Release Version will come out, because CIG will just keep the current build as it is and just start calling it that. They'll herald it as a milestone achievement, claim they're now in an "iteration cycle" with more to come so now we've proved haters wrong there's never been a better time to pledge more, and backers will take a thundering herd of victory laps.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

I said come in! posted:

You are dealing with people who bought $275 tickets to go to a sales pitch, that then went onto redit to tell everyone why it was not a sales pitch

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Dynastocles posted:

"It's okay! I didn't pay the money for the food, I paid to see Chris and hang out with developers" :downs:

It’s ha ha cringe inducing, but yah, they kinda did.

Again, no one else but these special wallet warriors have seen the man in six months.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

You are dealing with people who bought $275 tickets to go to a sales pitch, that then went onto redit to tell everyone why it was not a sales pitch

I wonder if there's hope for any of those people. Sure the vast, vast majority will take their stupidity with them to their graves, labeling it "genius" until their final breath, but surely there's at least one guy that could be reached. One person you can talk to and say, "Dude, you're someone else's PhD. Right now that's your net value to society - that someone else has learned how to help others by watching you fail", and the light dawns on them.

I think it's the guy in the tophat.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The SQ42 excuse for the mine ship is pretty funny. Why exactly would they need a minelayer/minesweeper ship for a single player game? Is there an exciting level where you put your dogfighter aside and plant mines? Or sweep for mines? Or are you fighting one? And if so, why would they build the minelaying SHIP? Why not just have a level in a space minefield, where presumably a fleet of minelaying ships had BEEN long before? What does it add to make the ship?

It's just such tortured logic.

eh, this is actually pretty simple. It'll just be one of those tower defense levels where you have to protect the objective by laying mines in the proper spots.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

peter gabriel posted:

AND these are all people who paid over $1000 in the first place. AND flew out there on their own dime. These are nothing but prime kool-aid drinkers. They not only EXPECT to be sold to, they CELEBRATE it.

trucutru posted:

eh, this is actually pretty simple. It'll just be one of those tower defense levels where you have to protect the objective by laying mines in the proper spots.

And obviously they had to create and model an entirely new ship just for this purpose, uh huh, right

Whether or not it's true, CIG hasn't suggested once (from what I've seen) that this ship will even appear in SQ42. All the talk from them references it and the gameplay in SC. The SQ42 excuse is entirely an invention of the defending fans.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Whether or not it's true, CIG hasn't suggested once (from what I've seen) that this ship will even appear in SQ42.

I'll be supremely disappointed. I'm expecting an entire level based on this ship, with Pusher leading the way, with quips like "remember pilot, what's yours is yours, and what's mine is ... minelayer" and poo poo like that.