Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

AlternateNu posted:

Yes. Spirits is A Thing again.

Whelp, gently caress my entire loving life then. Or get the ~$350 of stuff to get spirits up and running, since there's large amounts of crossover with humans as far as expensive cards go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
Sad I never picked up nobles

Glad I got SFM rotting in my binder for years

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
When in god's loving name was spirits NOT a horrifically obnoxious deck?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Tubgoat posted:

When in god's loving name was spirits NOT a horrifically obnoxious deck?

The last year or so when Izzet Phoenix was keeping it at bay?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Riiiiiiight, 'cause it returns, not casts.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Tubgoat posted:

Riiiiiiight, 'cause it returns, not casts.

I dunt understand this

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Out of all the Looting decks, Phoenix probably loses the least. I'm not saying it hurts, but it isn't as backbreaking compared to the gameplan of Mardu Pyro or Dredge. Thought Scour can work, or maybe you can also play a Bedlam Reveler or 2.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

ShaneB posted:

I dunt understand this

Spell Queller could exile Phoenix were it cast from the GY and not just returned via three spell casts.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Tubgoat posted:

Spell Queller could exile Phoenix were it cast from the GY and not just returned via three spell casts.

This is not why spirits lost to Phoenix though. It's the upheaval on a 7/8.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Stone Freed would have been a much better thread title.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ShaneB posted:

This is not why spirits lost to Phoenix though. It's the upheaval on a 7/8.

Yeah. If you can stick a Thing, Quellers become near useless.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
Thoughts on big mana in general coming back? Slower format lets Titan shift and amulet Titan back into the mix. Obviously tron wins big here. Does blood moon have a place in the format again (even if it isn’t the best answer to tron?)

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

smertrioslol posted:

Thoughts on big mana in general coming back? Slower format lets Titan shift and amulet Titan back I to
The mix. Obviously tron wins big here. Does blood moon have a place in the format again (even if it isn’t the best answer to tron?)

Amulet titan gets absolutely poo poo on by spirits, and the UW matchup is no longer very favored. Affinity and scales both beat it at a good clip and whirza is also a bad matchup.

It beats jund pretty well though

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

Out of all the Looting decks, Phoenix probably loses the least. I'm not saying it hurts, but it isn't as backbreaking compared to the gameplan of Mardu Pyro or Dredge. Thought Scour can work, or maybe you can also play a Bedlam Reveler or 2.

Izzet Charm isn’t completely unreasonable either.

I actually do think Dredge will be fine through this, if nowhere as explosive now.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

TheKingofSprings posted:

I just have a really hard time with the tempo issues of izzet charm...

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

GoutPatrol posted:

phoenix as a card is dead in modern. without the insane ceiling of getting out 1-2 phoenixes on turn 2, you're just not going to be able to consistently do something that competes with what your opponent is doing. the u/r shell of thing in the ice/lightning bolt/opt is still viable but it needs to be rebuilt into something more reactive because it's no longer able to blindly race.

mono red phoenix is dead, maybe the prowess deck can survive somehow but i doubt it, the card selection of faithless looking was super important for making sure your hand did something explosive

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

I actually do think Dredge will be fine through this, if nowhere as explosive now.

I just think at that point that you'd have a better u/r deck if you cut the phoenixes and charms for something else

I agree that dredge will be fine as long as people cut back on graveyard hate. tormenting voice is less of a tempo vacuum for them because dredging twice advances their gameplan a lot more than just discarding a phoenix

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

rkajdi posted:

Whelp, gently caress my entire loving life then. Or get the ~$350 of stuff to get spirits up and running, since there's large amounts of crossover with humans as far as expensive cards go.

I would bet on humans still being a good deck post unban

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

little munchkin posted:

phoenix as a card is dead in modern. without the insane ceiling of getting out 1-2 phoenixes on turn 2, you're just not going to be able to consistently do something that competes with what your opponent is doing. the u/r shell of thing in the ice/lightning bolt/opt is still viable but it needs to be rebuilt into something more reactive because it's no longer able to blindly race.

mono red phoenix is dead, maybe the prowess deck can survive somehow but i doubt it, the card selection of faithless looking was super important for making sure your hand did something explosive

UR kiln is still a thing and actually pretty reliable considering you can pack both forces and shoals as needed.

Still pretty fragile, but it's surprisingly consistent at T3ing anyone that doesn't have enough removal.

I definitely agree though that, barring printing careful study or something, Phoenix in modern is dead today. Moving your combo turn to 3 maybe, 4 probably is vastly less powerful then what your opponent is likely to be doing.

Especially considering you don't even win on the spot, you still need to attack two or three more times. Not many good decks do pretty much nothing until t3 or 4 and then win 3 turns later.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

little munchkin posted:

I just think at that point that you'd have a better u/r deck if you cut the phoenixes and charms for something else

I agree that dredge will be fine as long as people cut back on graveyard hate. tormenting voice is less of a tempo vacuum for them because dredging twice advances their gameplan a lot more than just discarding a phoenix

I don't see how anyone is betting on dredge still being good. What in the world is going to replace looting?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sickening posted:

I don't see how anyone is betting on dredge still being good. What in the world is going to replace looting?

Insolant Neonate, Shriekhorn, cards which already saw play and will still be able to accomplish the same thing if less efficiently.

E: Dredge can use Life From The Loam to recur Peatland for additional Dredges or use cycle lands, they’re not totally dead in the water or anything.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Insolant Neonate, Shriekhorn, cards which already saw play and will still be able to accomplish the same thing if less efficiently.

Shriekhorn isn't replacing looting as it was already played along side looting. Insolant Neonate keeping dredge playable sounds like a loving long shot.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Dredge can just go back to the original build with Neonates, Gargadon and Bridge from Below.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

suicidesteve posted:

Dredge can just go back to the original build with Neonates, Gargadon and Bridge from Below.

It can what now?

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Neonate is a bad 1 drop replacement for looting and Dredge will lose some efficiency, but as long as they don't ban amalgams, voice, loam, reunion, imp, or bloodghast the deck will be around and do ok. The fact that people won't be maindecking LotV anymore is a big boon to the deck as well.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
mtg finance corner: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Core+Set+2020/Woodland+Mystic#paper

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Cactrot posted:

It can what now?

:thejoke:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Dredge is going to revert to it's pre-Hogaak build but will replace Looting with Sticher's Supplier and/or Neonates.
Blue centric versions using Thought Scour and Crab may pop up.

It can still easily pop out 10 power on turn 2 with a Cathartic Reunion or a good Shriekhorn.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Cards clearly busted

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

???

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Is this because of the lack of llanowar elves?

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

ilmucche posted:

Is this because of the lack of llanowar elves?

It's probably only in those welcome decks. No one would actually pay that.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

For some reason all the welcome deck editions of cards are expensive, so for instance an M20 Skeleton Archer is quite a bit more expensive than an M19 Skeleton Archer

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
There's also only one seller listed for the card, so its literally just the price of one shop you're seeing.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Is Stitcher's Supplier no longer good in Dredge? It's a friggin Zombie that can cast Gravecrawlrr, ffs.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Gravecrawler isn't a standard inclusion in dredge.

I think people are drastically under-rating two things Looting does:
- allow you to keep sketchier 1 landers, especially on the draw, as you are like 80% to get a 2nd land by turn 2
- the flashback double dredge is far more important than just binning 5 with something like a Tome Scour

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

STONEFORGE MYSTIC UNBANNED?!
*slaps giant button labeled BUY MYSTICS, alarm klaxon begins blaring*

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Welp, some rear end in a top hat used it against me and it was clutch.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Tubgoat posted:

Is Stitcher's Supplier no longer good in Dredge? It's a friggin Zombie that can cast Gravecrawlrr, ffs.

Stitcher's Supplier/Gravecrawler have never really been dredge cards, you're thinking more of bridgevine/hogaak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Elyv posted:

Stitcher's Supplier/Gravecrawler have never really been dredge cards, you're thinking more of bridgevine/hogaak
Ahhhhh, yes, alright. Thanks.