Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nickiepoo posted:

My terrible idea for Warframe development is to remove all the parkor and open world stuff so it's like a straight normal third person corridor shooter except kind of space ninja themed haha that would be terrible who would play that haha

Sounds bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

:monocle:

Hey, they've got Velcro Fly. :cool:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Pomp posted:

Sounds bad

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Jezz... That is pretty crazy

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Raptor1033 posted:

Spoiler your spoiler mode, bruh. Lots of new players in here.

Sorry, entirely my bad. Angryposted on the way to bed and didn't consider. Fixed.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I'm pretty happy with how the level 30 NW cosmetic came out (spoilers, obviously):

powerful Infested Dad energy :v:

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

The Jumpoff posted:

So the talk of Path of Exile style leagues got me thinking, so my terrible idea is to take the race/speedrun leagues from that game.

Start everyone with a fresh, completely separate account at MR0, and the person who gets the furthest/gets the most milestones (these could be first kill of X boss, first to reach X planet, first to clear X Junction, etc.)/reaches the highest MR, gets some kind of reward, with other rewards for the top X people. Maybe top 100 or 50 or something get a unique cosmetic, and everyone else can get league specific cosmetics but they're available to anyone who played it.

If you really wanted to spice it up, instead of having the default equipment selection, have 3 random frames you can start with, and then two random weapon choices for every slot. Maybe the 3 choices for the league are Khora, Frost, and Volt? Do you want the Hek to start, or the Rubico (i wouldn't want prime weapons in the starting selections).

And if you REALLY wanted to spice it up you could remove trading. Grouping up remains so it wouldn't be true solo-self found, but without plat to buy potatoes/trade for mods, i imagine it would become a ridiculous test of endurance/making do.

I actually almost kind of want to see them try this now, even though i know it would be terrible.

This, this would be the thing to finally get me to quit. Good job

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

yeah that is the worst thing ive ever read. i hate it.

is that how path of exile is because if so im never playing it

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i don't think the 'base' game is, i think you can choose to join into a 'league' basically that starts fresh every now and then and players see how well they can chunk through it in the time. it's an optional endeavor and quite frankly with dungeoncrawlers like that i can vaguely see the appeal. warframe, though? ehhhhhhhhhhhhh, no.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

It only makes sense in a game where the drop table is designed to accommodate it and where loot is random enough for there to be some element of novelty or surprise. Warframe is neither of those things.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

Berke Negri posted:

The race leagues were a thing. But the thing with Path of Exile is that there are different leagues that last anywhere from a couple months to about a year, where you make a new character and there are modifications to the normal gameplay, like maybe there are special areas to go into that give unique loot. It works in the Diablo-like ARPG format. After the league ends, your character(s) get ported over to the Standard league with all their items and currency and stuff.

So for porting it to warframe, your account now would be Standard. After a league ends, you would get all the cosmetics and slots and resources you accumulated over the course of the league. So you'd only be starting fresh if you chose to take part in the special event league, you don't have to at all and, like in Path of Exile, you can go between Standard and League characters anytime.

But yeah, Warframe's loot systems don't really work for that format, hence why i explicitly said it was a terrible idea and would be awful to play in Warframe. It works quite well in Path of Exile, imo.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Warframe is not the sort of game that you'd want to uh... relive the grind, it's more of a slow and steady sort of thing where as path of exile is speedrunning with a dose of slot machine dopamine.

A week speedrunning warframe wouldn't get you very far and you'd just be waiting on foundry timers and farming polymer, a week speedrunning path of exile would see you completing every map, beating every boss and min-maxing your final gear.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Re: Path

The league is the dominant way to play - standard, where things are permanent, is not taken seriously.

The big reason why this model is not really a good idea for Warframe but is for POE is that POE's entire progression curve is balanced around this pace. A pretty casual POE player can clear most of a league even with some alts.

This also means that POE leagues are very openly radical changes, so it's really encouraged to play very different builds, which is pretty easy given how nuts the game can get.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Ya it's pretty easy to get a new character up to doing maps in like two or three days, or a little over a week if you don't have a ton of time.

this is kind of the equivalent of hitting Mr 25 or so except you never burnt through a ton of gear to get mastery, you just tricked out a hek or an amprex to even more absurdity than warframe currently allows and simply never put it down.

I don't see warframe doing race leagues, or having players start fresh ever nightwave. What i would like to see borrowed, however, is new league mechanics. Every league in PoExile introduces new gameplay modes or spaces, sometimes this is equivalent to their more static endgame progression but with all new gear, enemies, areas, and gameplay modes. Sometimes it's a a new faction/npc that offers their own bounties with various gear and cosmetic rewards. Most of these things are real big and frequent during their introduction league and then get toned down in frequency but still appear and stay in the game in future leagues.

I think Nightwave needs something like that. We get new mods and cosmetics for every nightwave. I think it'd be real cool if we also got new enemies and areas, maybe a gimmick that is tuned up in frequency that can spawn in missions and take us elsewhere for the duration of that event, only to be dropped back in mission afterward and toned down in frequency a bunch for the next nightwaves. Maybe a new void area spawns and wanders around like the kuva fort, spawning void gates in missions it's close to. Maybe a huge infested comet comes spiraling through the system and instead of invasions we find some alpha infested at the center of some nest that is quickly expanding to infest the whole level, find the alpha and the hive and burn everything spawning out of it until the infested ground receeds to nothing.

FunkyFjord fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 27, 2019

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Berke Negri posted:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It only makes sense in a game where the drop table is designed to accommodate it and where loot is random enough for there to be some element of novelty or surprise. Warframe is neither of those things.

so PoE does it where you can play standard if you're a moron or play leagues which have a 3 month timer and no real goal; and sometimes they do shorter races as a novelty thing. races only work because the game is basically designed around them, actual racing in WF would suck really bad unless it was a whole new game mode

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Well poo poo, now you have me imagining F-Zero style races with Volt, Gauss, Nezha, and warp Nova.

Edit: Rhino as the chonky boy that's slower but can't be knocked off the track!

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

People race in wf all the time, just nothing like Path of Exile.

like in poe your build would be some wf equivalent of 'I'm running an amprex hunmun super crit build with +480 range and it jumps targets 17 times, also I have some auras that weaken mobs and protect me, also I can blink teleport like real fast and that sets off a big toxin aoe every time I do it' and that basically never changes unless you get gear that does something real neat in tandem, usually league specific gear.

There isn't really a good translation between the two games. Still, I would like to see DE borrow ideas from leagues like new mobs, events, gameplay modes and spaces, that all get refined during the nightwave and then made permanent additions afterward.

Which is honestly probably just my desire for playable content to come out more frequently than we've seen since Cetus. Nightwave definitely hits a some of that but I still want more new fresh gameplay more frequently.

Still, DE devs clearly love this game and have fun with it, Railjack and Empyrean look loving dope, and I don't want them to crunch themselves. Could be better and more fresh but I'm still happy with it.

FunkyFjord fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 27, 2019

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Clearly we need the survival mode from The Division instead. (Joking but curious)

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Tylana posted:

Clearly we need the survival mode from The Division instead. (Joking but curious)

it wouldn't work in warframe but the survival mode was an extremely good at condensing a loot game into an hour long cycle. You went through the entire rarity tier of items, those tiers mattered, you had a concrete end goal that was reasonably achievable with additional objectives and rewards if you chose to extend your stay/were doing well, and a hard upper limit on how long your session would last so it was always a mode which allowed slow play but rewarded fast play.

but where I see that not working at all, probably like you do, is that in the Division just equipping an item is how you got power. The mods for any frame or weapon would totally sink this as a concept because 0-30 in WF isn't even how you really power anything up, it's what you do with the capacity granted from 0-30. that second layer of 'power' granted by mods is satisfying for a long-term investment but it's impossible for an hour long session.

and that's sort of what warframe is; it's designed for long-term engagement. even their annoyingly too long login system reinforces this, for better or for worse

(the 50/100/200 day intervals are 'for worse')

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

so valkyr comes with loading screen prime and an operator suit. saryn comes with a sigil and a syandana https://www.warframe.com/news/prime-vault-opens-sept-3

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Nickiepoo posted:

My terrible idea for Warframe development is to remove all the parkor and open world stuff so it's like a straight normal third person corridor shooter except kind of space ninja themed haha that would be terrible who would play that haha

and it has a stamina bar

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I've been waiting for the operator suit for AGES. :toot:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

it kind of looks like its styled after mag prime a little bit

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Echophonic posted:

I've been waiting for the operator suit for AGES. :toot:

same

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Berke Negri posted:

Like others have said, it's not as bad as it sounds because the overall structure of the progression is so different from warframe.

Of course path of exile also has a hardcore mode while poo poo like this happens:

This is the game's servers telling the player/streamer that their character is dead and out of the hardcore league while their client still thinks he's at full health and shields. :v: The game has tons of poo poo that makes Warframes worst PT/Dolon one-shots look positively benign, and even outside of hardcore the death penalty near endgame can erase hours upon hours of grinding.

Anyway i'd actually like to see DE try a variant of those highly communication based Destiny raids. Not in their bulletspongy insta-kill bullshit, but more in the creativity when it comes to combining mobility/agility and team coordination. Which also would it extremely un-pubbable of course.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Aug 27, 2019

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Edit: ^^^ They already had raids at one point that required communication and coordination (and a poo poo load of bugs). Would you like to see them reinstate fixed LoR and Jordas? Entirely new raid concepts?

Awesome! posted:

loading screen prime

uuhhhhhhhhhh are you sure?

Double edit: poo poo, Buff00n has "we are number one" I might finally alter the mandachord. Anyone happen to remember the title to the action car drift anime? Wonder if he has that converted.
Triple edit: AHAHAHA Initial D Deja vu and he totally has it!

hazardousmouse fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 27, 2019

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Raptor1033 posted:

Edit: ^^^ They already had raids at one point that required communication and coordination (and a poo poo load of bugs). Would you like to see them reinstate fixed LoR and Jordas? Entirely new raid concepts?

uuhhhhhhhhhh are you sure?
Oh, i'm aware. Pablo has talked how the bugginess and 8 player count tech issues caused them to ultimately axe that implementation, but i still think the general abstract concept has potential, if adapted properly to the current state and flow of warframe. Would it be worth it for DE to figure out what that actually is if they have the stats that 98% (number totally made up) of players play solo or pub matchmaking without voicechat despite vocal reddit requests? I guess their (lack of) priority of remaking Trials speaks volumes.

also he means the liset prime shown here:

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 27, 2019

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I mean, anything that requires actual communication deeper than "nice cat name" sounds like a way to get angry players so I'm very skeptical

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I made a thing: https://wfm-tools.herokuapp.com

It's a real quick and dirty way to get current riven prices and averages of those prices from Warframe.market.

I've never made a Flask web app before (over 3/4 of my commits were a variation of "asdffasdf") so I can't promise it works at all, if the information is entirely accurate, or doesn't set your computer on fire.

It's also been a while since I've HTML'd and CSS'd so enjoy my use of bare-bones rear end dropdowns to enter your search query and tables to display the results.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 28, 2019

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I've played for little over a week and I've just gotten the HEK and farmed a Rhino (with some taxi help to get some Control Modules from Void). In PoE I would be grinding endgame already, been mostly geared, and possibly be planning to grind up a new build. Warframe seems to be balanced around foundry timers bottlenecking your progression, and the only way to alleviate this is to pay realbux to skip those timers. So it far more resembles F2P phone games.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

Phobophilia posted:

I've played for little over a week and I've just gotten the HEK and farmed a Rhino (with some taxi help to get some Control Modules from Void). In PoE I would be grinding endgame already, been mostly geared, and possibly be planning to grind up a new build. Warframe seems to be balanced around foundry timers bottlenecking your progression, and the only way to alleviate this is to pay realbux to skip those timers. So it far more resembles F2P phone games.

I started a few weeks ago and while that is a barrier to the frames, there is always stuff to do besides. I suffer from the "always got to maximize my time, gotta make all the stuff right now" and now that I'm learning to let go of that I'm much happier.

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

Phobophilia posted:

the only way to alleviate this is to pay realbux to skip those timers

no

trading in this game is a shitload easier than in poe and farming plat out of fissures with a zero forma ember is very easy and efficient. there's no livesearch and everything is a commodity. missions in this game can take 15 or 20 minutes and people know that and are usually fine with waiting. there are a lot of miserable grinds (nidus, harrow) best done by farming prime parts to sell from the very easy starmap fissures, and bought with plat instead. there are a lot of people in this thread with a weird aversion to trading but if you can deal with poe's trading you can absolutely handle warframe's

https://forums.warframe.com/topic/1056041-wfinfo-mod-relic-reward-tool/

it took me over 30 runs of 8 wave NSO to get the khora blueprint and when it finally dropped i felt like a complete dolt because it would have taken a fraction the time to simply farm fissures, sell drops, and buy the loving thing. don't do this. do not do this.

edit: to clarify, rushing foundry builds is completely fine, it does not take 3 days to farm up 75p this way once you have your frame set up for it, or are able to otherwise just get through exterm/cap fissures

ndub fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 28, 2019

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

"Phone game" is too derogatory but yeah the difference is that PoE is a series of 3 month long games you play and Warframe is a continuous experience

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Foundry timers are a completely inexcusable and stupid aspect of the game (although no doubt half a dozen people will jump in to defend them as soon as I say this).

The only real solution is to build new things whenever the option is available rather than waiting until you actually need them. Eventually you'll have a main loadout that you're happy with and more unleveled weapons and frames than you know what to do with and they'll be a little less annoying, but it's basically just something you have to get Stockholm'd to if you're going to play Warframe.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Phobophilia posted:

Warframe seems to be balanced around foundry timers bottlenecking your progression, and the only way to alleviate this is to pay realbux to skip those timers. So it far more resembles F2P phone games.

Frontload that poo poo as much as you can. You can have as many things as you like building/waiting to be claimed in the foundry. The timers run in parallel and unclaimed items take up no inventory space.

The timers still suck, but you absolutely do not need to bypass them with plat in order to make meaningful progression.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Helter Skelter posted:

Frontload that poo poo as much as you can. You can have as many things as you like building/waiting to be claimed in the foundry. The timers run in parallel and unclaimed items take up no inventory space.

The timers still suck, but you absolutely do not need to bypass them with plat in order to make meaningful progression.

The only big problem with this is that you can’t queue things. So for example I have one built Cestra, but I can’t queue another one to build Dual Cestra, which kinda sucks.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Foundry timers are a completely inexcusable and stupid aspect of the game (although no doubt half a dozen people will jump in to defend them as soon as I say this).

Agreed. They're one of the few things I think is absolutely predatory on the part of DE. I play with a couple of dudes who drop plat on speeding up items and then moan when they can't afford weapon or frame spots. I'm less sympathetic toward the adults, but I know a few kids in my clan who do it too, and it's always sad to see. It also gates your mastery level and artificially extends the length of the grind, which is pretty crappy in a game that's ostensibly about grinding.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

Lightning Knight posted:

The only big problem with this is that you can’t queue things. So for example I have one built Cestra, but I can’t queue another one to build Dual Cestra, which kinda sucks.

But, you can build from the official Warframe app, which is kinda cool.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Screaming Idiot posted:

Agreed. They're one of the few things I think is absolutely predatory on the part of DE. I play with a couple of dudes who drop plat on speeding up items and then moan when they can't afford weapon or frame spots. I'm less sympathetic toward the adults, but I know a few kids in my clan who do it too, and it's always sad to see. It also gates your mastery level and artificially extends the length of the grind, which is pretty crappy in a game that's ostensibly about grinding.

Whatever duuuuuuuuuuuuuuude just fuckin play while counters do their thing. Pretty loose definition of predatory. Particularly when there's already a history of them realizing when something is actually predatory and removing it.

I was gonna ask what ya'lls Octavia builds are now that I have a fun song but we may be past that now

I can clearly see who would have failed that childhood cookie delayed gratification test

hazardousmouse fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

i rush everything now but making plat is easy at this point so

but i also am only building a new thing maybe once or twice every couple months so its like, whatever