Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
:v: Hey watcha doin?
:yarr: I am dropping mines in space
:v: Lol, why? Space is huge, people will fly past em
:yarr: They are strategic mines
:v: Wow that makes sense then - want any help?
:yarr: I am a lone wolf
:v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydyy-frH1-U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
How much space can a full load of mines cover?

How many loads of mines would you need to deploy to encircle an entire planet, at its current scale?

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT
From https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/have-cig-got-enough-funds-to-finish-the-pu-if-sq42

quote:

No, CIG can not survive the failure of sq42 without additional funding. However sq42 can not fail. They have enough to finish the single player game and its marketing is already paid for. That means any sq42 sales would be mostly profit.

It is almost impossible then for sq42 to sell less than half a million copies. if the game costs $40 then that is $20 million which is pleanty to finish the PU (maybe dropping some unecessary features)

Somebody should tell him that credit cards companies take a fee, that VAT / sales tax is to be paid, that the state wants its share ( corp tax ) and that the Calder's want their investment back, and that after all of that, the $20M will have become $10M.

It's pretty hilarious to think this guy believes the PU can be finished for $20M. That's what ? 5 months of on-going expenses ? The only way for that to happen would to be cut features left & right and downscale absolutely everywhere, creating an E.L.E of epic proportions that even Derek never dreamt of. Personally, I'd love to witness that and see all the whales melt down.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

trucutru posted:

I have been informed by a few fellow redditors that, since they had already decided to buy anything offered during the meeting, then it wasn't a pitch: they didn't have to convince anybody to buy.

People totally go to those time share vacations convinced they will make a large outlay for life on questionable vacation resorts. Why they didn't even need the vacation to enjoy that aspect.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Citizen are speculating on "some shifting going cuz they had to be working on 3.7:"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsyV-aVDCZk&t=3474s

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Hav posted:

He's not wrong, but he fails to understand that any grouping works, for example, the Cosa Nostra ensures revenue to pay their employees, provide protection and other entirely legitimate business.

And the have much better dinner events

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

You see, this game can't fail, because unlike other games, it has funding and all its sales are profit!

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

"Cloud Imperium Games have been at the receiving end of criticism regarding Star Citizen's massive funding that was seemingly squandered over the years. The new expensive ship announced during an extravagant dinner is not helping the look."

"The game had raised over $233 million at the time of writing and there were previous bank loans that undoubtedly increased the scope of funding. Six years have passed since the original announcement and there is still no game to show for it."

"Squadron 42 Alpha is supposedly coming in 2020 but that's only the singleplayer portion of what CIG promised and some people are now calling Star Citizen a Ponzi scheme and Fyre Fest of video games."

:lol:

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

trucutru posted:

I have been informed by a few fellow redditors that, since they had already decided to buy anything offered during the meeting, then it wasn't a pitch: they didn't have to convince anybody to buy.

Ah the old "Feeding me alcohol and then selling me things that aren't real isn't wrong because I'm so dumb I was gonna get scammed anyway!" defense. A classic. I love it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Quavers posted:

"Squadron 42 Alpha is supposedly coming in 2020 but that's only the singleplayer portion of what CIG promised and some people are now calling Star Citizen a Ponzi scheme and Fyre Fest of video games."

Oh come on! We've been saying that since 2015, at least!

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

"In 2016, Wired awarded Star Citizen a spot on its list of “Vaporware Games’ due to the game’s ever-changing release window. Wired cited the ever-growing ambitions of the game’s creators as a possible reason the game may never be completed entirely. Similarly, Massively OP awarded Star Citizen it’s not so prestigious “Most Likely To Flop” Award in both 2016 and 2017. "

Beet featured yet again :toot:

I hope this fame doesn't go to your head :sparkles:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Jobbo_Fett posted:

How much space can a full load of mines cover?

How many loads of mines would you need to deploy to encircle an entire planet, at its current scale?

Sadly this question was brought up earlier. A goon pontificated in this thread to just set them up around Port Olisar. Then a whale asked at the "dinner" if this was possible and a dev (who obviously never thought of this possible griefing scenario) said they require fuel to stay in orbit.

I'm sure there will be some mine refueling ship in response.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
pg 6484 was legendary

6485 looking good too

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...
This was an Aegis event, right? Those boys are always forgetting about the potatoes.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Quavers posted:

Beet featured yet again :toot:

I hope this fame doesn't go to your head :sparkles:

Probably on the Forbes payroll. Kayak was just an elaborate ruse.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Colostomy Bag posted:

they require fuel to stay in orbit.

So when they run out of fuel they what? Plummet down to the bottom of space?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

I'm the lone wolf dropping mines in space

And as Ozzy once sung, "Bark at the Lack of the Moons"

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

You expect me to fully understand Robtertian physics?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I can't believe Beet is the one who destroyed Star Citizen in the end and not Derek

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Colostomy Bag posted:

You expect me to fully understand Robtertian physics?

No, you're right. Few can. He attended part of a physics class after all.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
https://twitter.com/LBOMadness/status/1166407946990948352

hovermode made a commando mad

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

Yup, just like in the tractor scene in Wing Commander.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Twerk/SaltEMike: "Star Citizen: Week in Review - SSOCS Delayed?!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOyuesekWWw

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

SuperMacBrother: "Chris Roberts on SSOCS, Server Meshing, Persistence, Physics & Hover Mode"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJStEZqp9IY

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Daztek posted:

I can't believe Beet is the one who destroyed Star Citizen in the end and not Derek

:same:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Holy poo poo all this bad press about the minelayer ship is pretty amazing, CR has got to be steaming mad.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Minelayer is stupid and dumb.

I hope all the people involved in this charade feel stupid and dumb.

I hope the people buying it feel even more stupid and dumb.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Store Citizer : Mines and Citizens, not getting laid since 2012

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Daztek posted:

I can't believe every games writer copy-pastes their article from every other games writer. Talk about ease of spreading disinformation.

Luckily, the goon anti-Starcitizen campaign would never do that.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

monkeytek posted:

Holy crap the servers will melt under the weight of deployables like this. Just imagine dumping 20-30 of these lolololololol.

If it were a working game, the other players will just shoot the mines.

Shooting down mines is usually some level in space games. Mining space is the dumbest thing and I hope they feel stupid and dumb about it.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Holy poo poo all this bad press about the minelayer ship is pretty amazing, CR has got to be steaming mad.

I cant loving believe THIS is the thing that's got legs with the press lol

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Daztek posted:

How does Derek feel about all that lost valour?

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Quavers posted:

"Cloud Imperium Games have been at the receiving end of criticism regarding Star Citizen's massive funding that was seemingly squandered over the years. The new expensive ship announced during an extravagant dinner is not helping the look."

"The game had raised over $233 million at the time of writing and there were previous bank loans that undoubtedly increased the scope of funding. Six years have passed since the original announcement and there is still no game to show for it."

I really really hope the "Star Citizen is the Fyre Festival of videogames" slogan catches on among the games community. Everyone knows what a disaster Fyre was.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Sarsapariller posted:

I played the launch last night. My queue was ~30 minutes because I'm not a numpty and signed up on one of the newer servers. It was a goddamn blast, most fun I've had in a multiplayer game in years. Dun Morogh was jam-packed with people fighting for spawns, the quest journals were completely unmarked on the map, the whole thing was a clusterfuck of trying to tag monsters before the hunters could- it made the whole world feel social and active and alive, again. People actually whispered me! People grouped together to do stuff! Low level monsters were actually really scary and pulling two at once was a good way to die! Money and bag-space were stressors but that made the whole thing feel more like an adventure.

I worry that the feeling will drop off as the population dies down or spreads out to more manageable levels, but for at least one day, it really felt like an MMO again- the kind where everyone's in it together and it's about the journey, not the destination. There wasn't a single bullshit store or survival mechanic in sight.

So yeah I absolutely get why Lethality would hate it.
that is like every mmo/multiplayer game on launch day tho

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Rotten Red Rod posted:

You know, I remember reading something about those door to door Mormon missionaries and why they have to do it. It's not to convince people to be come Mormon, that's never going to happen when you knock on random stranger's doors and shove a pamphlet in their face. No, the reason they have to do it is to be mocked and rididiculed and have you beliefs questioned and to have that door slammed in your face. Because when that happens, it doesn't deter you, it strengthens your resolve and belief. When someone questions the very core of your being, you will most likely double down and fight harder. It's that feeling of being persecuted when you know in your soul that you are right.

This dinner isn't trying to convince new people to join in, it's to strengthen the resolve of the ones already in. They are the chosen ones who make the smart decsions with money and know what the future of gaming is. The true prophet came down from the upper level to converse with his apostles and is only asking for a $675 (plus sales tax) donation to show your faith. The people now mocking them don't understand and their mockery comes from a place of hate. You will endure it and Christo Roberto will lead your peoples to the promised land of 100 star systems and your faith will be rewarded.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

And yet they expect to actually sell copies of SQ42 to new players when it's out, somehow.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Dogeh posted:

Calling into the DoD to check on the credentials....

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

peter gabriel posted:

I'm the lone wolf dropping mines in space

I hope they pay real money for a space mine that never blows up, despawns, and they're out the cash.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Ramadu posted:

drat what an alpha chad

We all got the promotion when Star Citizen backers, intent on creating a new uberclass, created a permanent underclass. A rising tide lifts all boats, and now PC gaming is saved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Dogeh posted:

He's ok with it cos as you know Beet Wagon is just another Derek Smart alt anyway. (Just like me and you)